Will shorties really give me power? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-17-2015, 05:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Will shorties really give me power?

I really dont like the thought of them and want to run some long tubes. i live in california however and this is going to be a problem. what will the shorties do for me (bbk ceramic shorties) sound and performace wise?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
syndicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2015, 05:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by syndicate View Post
I really dont like the thought of them and want to run some long tubes. i live in california however and this is going to be a problem. what will the shorties do for me (bbk ceramic shorties) sound and performace wise?

Sound wise they'll be much tamer than long tubes, maybe even a little more so than stock. Less raspy and less volume overall. A slightly deeper but quiet tone.

Power wise you'll see a small bump down low but identical to stock everywhere else.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

dang. they dont sound all that great oh well

syndicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2015, 05:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndicate View Post
dang. they dont sound all that great oh well

Well as for Longtubes you get a louder slightly raspier sound and the power comes towards the mid-high end of the powerband.

So in all reality, it's just about the sound you want and where you want your power at. Of course keeping in mind you're in Cali, so you don't have as many choices.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 01-17-2015, 05:28 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
The down low to midrange bump is more than just a bump, the shorty headers on mine gives it a smoother power band from 2000 RPM all the way up instead of the slow acceleration up to 3500 RPM that it has now.
You will be able to hit resume on the cruise at a lower RPM and actually pick up speed instead of just thinking about it of having to downshift.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:49 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Same power, slight bending of the power curve down low. It can help a bit with off the line and inclines in overdrive. Gears do more, though.

Part of the myth of headers was that back when they were still using carbs on cars ( and throttle body fuel injection (basically a fuel injector stuffed into a carb type setup ) as well up until the learly 90s for some makes )), this could make a huge difference. Especially when you only were putting out 120-150hp in a smaller engine.

With modern cars putting out 300+ HP and also thanks to all of the computers doing everything for you (for good and bad), all you are doing is adjusting the dyno curves - making it flatter or steeper in parts ( same with gears )

If you really want to go fast, you need more air and/or more cylinders. Supercharger, Turbo, or a V8. Given the 130 HP difference between the V6 and V8, you could spend $10K and basically make a V6 into a basic V8. The smart money then is to just trade the 6 for an 8.

Or just live with it as it is and concentrate on things that make it handle, shift, and stop better.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:49 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
The shorties won't disappoint you. They give a good bump in the areas the old 3.7 need. The BBK ceramics are on sale at auto anything right now $303 free shipping. I'm a Mac fan but they're not carb approved.

Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:02 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

It's totally worth it
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:58 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
There's a guy on another forum who went from bbk long tubes to bbk shorties and the shorties were less than a tenth slower. The shorties on the dyno showed strong torque gains (20-30 in some places) under the curve where you spend most of the time driving. Maybe only 8-10 whp at peak.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:56 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
The shorties won't disappoint you. They give a good bump in the areas the old 3.7 need. The BBK ceramics are on sale at auto anything right now $303 free shipping. I'm a Mac fan but they're not carb approved.

They are 379 and chrome is 284. Just checked
sledge42hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:01 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
They frequently have 20% off coupon codes that works on the bbk shorties bringing them to the quoted price.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:05 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

See I've been stuck in this same dilemma. I am deleting the cats no doubt and going off road but whether to get the long tubes or to get the shortys with cat deletes, that is the question. I get the whole theory and concepts behind both options, but I drive it daily and usually never over 75mph or 3,500rpms. So high end isn't as beneficial as the low end would be. But I want the sound too...plus I got some LTs a buddy just took off his car for cheap so my decision was sort of made up for me...now the next LT issue, no one will touch them and those who will want to break the bank for it. Nobody I know has the balls to tackle it with me and everyone else I know isn't close enough for me to ask for help.
Coyote2820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:53 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge42hammer View Post
They are 379 and chrome is 284. Just checked
Just added them to the cart with the 20% code $303.99 for the ceramic bbk
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:41 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote2820 View Post
See I've been stuck in this same dilemma. I am deleting the cats no doubt and going off road but whether to get the long tubes or to get the shortys with cat deletes, that is the question. I get the whole theory and concepts behind both options, but I drive it daily and usually never over 75mph or 3,500rpms. So high end isn't as beneficial as the low end would be. But I want the sound too...plus I got some LTs a buddy just took off his car for cheap so my decision was sort of made up for me...now the next LT issue, no one will touch them and those who will want to break the bank for it. Nobody I know has the balls to tackle it with me and everyone else I know isn't close enough for me to ask for help.
They really aren't that difficult. It just takes quite a bit of time. You will need a buddy and you will need a lift. You could try it with jacks and stands, but it would be so much more difficult.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:36 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
.....now the next LT issue, no one will touch them and those who will want to break the bank for it. Nobody I know has the balls to tackle it with me and everyone else I know isn't close enough for me to ask for help.
Sell them. Get shorties. Be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
They really aren't that difficult. It just takes quite a bit of time. You will need a buddy and you will need a lift. You could try it with jacks and stands, but it would be so much more difficult.

Agreed, its not that difficult if you tag team the install and can get the front end lifted up a bit. Shouldn't be longer than 4 hours max though.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:47 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The reason no one wants to install them is the 15,000-25,000 dollar fine for removing emission control devices.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:42 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Expres View Post
The reason no one wants to install them is the 15,000-25,000 dollar fine for removing emission control devices.

Not necessarily. The shops that quoted me had a GT in mind. For a GT to do Longtubes you have to remove the steering column, remove the motor mounts plus the normal things due to clearence issues.

So they either wouldn't even attempt it or quoted me about $600.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:44 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Who all actually has the BBK shorties on their car?

Was it a substantial improvement in power? Or was it not that big of an improvement?

I'm not talking about sound, just power difference.

Thanks
GT 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:49 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 1 View Post

Was it a substantial improvement in power? Or was it not that big of an improvement?

Thanks
I have BBK'S on my car and the low to mid range power is a huge improvement and it just happens to be right where the 3.7 needs it.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:14 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I would say get them over LTs. It puts the power in a more usable rpm range
Old 01-21-2015, 08:33 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Is the sound more raspy? Or is it deeper? Or just louder than it was prior to the shortys?
Old 01-21-2015, 08:39 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Is the sound more raspy? Or is it deeper? Or just louder than it was prior to the shortys?
It all depends on who you talk to.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:57 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Just asking those who have BBK shortys on their car...
Old 01-21-2015, 08:57 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
I'm struggling with these thoughts too... since the car is a convertible I don't want a lot of noise, but I would like to play with cars I own... I suppose I need to drive the car a little before I make a decision since I've only put maybe 500 miles on the car!
applebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:46 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No Rasp on mine, deeper and louder, but not a lot louder.
Stock mufflers

Stock mufflers with BBK's
Old 01-22-2015, 09:12 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
That's shorties? Yum!
applebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:30 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebit View Post
That's shorties? Yum!
Yep, it did have the FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe on it

Old 01-22-2015, 11:53 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks
I've had the BBK shorties on for roughly 1000 miles. Power in the 2-4k range is vastly different........smoother, spins up faster in that range indicating a bump in torque. Above 4k it's not much different. I do find myself shifting a few hundred RPM lower to achieve the same acceleration in "normal" driving, as compared to before the shorties. Before I didn't feel like the car started pulling hard until 3.5k. Now it starts pulling hard about 6-700 RPM lower. Pain in the rear install, but nonetheless hands down the best mod I've done so far.
steviedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:42 PM   #29

I was going for the long tube bbk headers and the bbk x pipe or lethal performance h pipe with axel back pypes bomb don't know what i should go for help needed guys let me know what u think please I drive a v6 2011 mustang roush intake

antsv408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:43 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

It all depends where in the powerband you want your gains to come in, and what tradeoffs you're willing to sacrifice. Long tubes with an adjusted tune can yield good gains above 5k, but typically will lose torque down low. On the other hand, shorty headers will yield some great gains down low, and nothing additional up top. I happen to think the v6 with long tubes and high flow/no cats sounds like a high revving john deere.......terrible.
steviedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:46 PM   #31
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by antsv408 View Post
I was going for the long tube bbk headers and the bbk x pipe or lethal performance h pipe with axel back pypes bomb don't know what i should go for help needed guys let me know what u think please I drive a v6 2011 mustang roush intake

I think you should probably wait for those answers in your own thread since this one is about shorty headers.

Question to the OP: are you getting chrome, ceramic coated, or stainless steel?

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:21 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

All who have them installed should post sound clips

Prezona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:48 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Hearing comments from those who actually have shorty headers on their 3.7 regarding the detail of the performance difference before and after the install of shortys on their car has been very very helpful.

Just want to let you know how very appreciated you are for sharing your results.

Many Thanks!
Old 01-22-2015, 06:49 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezona View Post
All who have them installed should post sound clips

You heard mine, before and after. I can post what it sounds like with the Borla Touring after I get home.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:20 PM   #35

Region: Florida
I've had them for about 500 miles. Installed them myself with jack stands in my garage.

My car is a 2012 manual vert. The only mod I have is an aftermarket shifter. To be honest, I can't say I noticed that much of a difference. I've only had this car a few months though, so I might not have been too used to how it felt before shorties. I've always been pleased with how this motor pulls.

Sound is not much different than stock, probably quieter until you really get on it.

My other mustang is a 2000 v6 manual, and the 3.7 motor is streets ahead of that old 3.8.
cherry3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang