Poor boy axle back cheats - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-24-2015, 05:22 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
In the spirit of experimenting, which I think is great, I was looking for some pictures that might show the inside passageways of these mufflers. I would think that would be helpful.

Also, don't forget you can plug the holes and try different locations before throwing them away.

The washer thing sounded like it may be worth a try.

I think it's cool as hell you're making science to it. I doubt you'll find anything new but experimenting is half the fun.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2015, 05:30 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
A modified exhaust was perfect on my Suzuki M50, better than eny aftermarket. Worth a try.
chitownpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:50 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dibstang View Post
At some point I am gonna try this just for fun.

I think he said he was attracting too many ducks and had to remove it. LOL
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2015, 12:14 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysh View Post
Folgers cans would probably be quieter.
Add some coffee beans to gas tank, let the motor grind em, and you my friend have a perfect recipe of dark roast morning coffee coming outa these Folger's!! Buh bye Starbucks!
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:09 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I think he said he was attracting too many ducks and had to remove it. LOL
I laughed so hard at this!!
Old 01-26-2015, 12:23 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, I picked up the test subjects Sat. afternoon. I'm on a 40hr shift until Wen, so while I'm on shift I'm going to work on the process on paper.

While googling images of internal layouts, I have found someone else that has done this and was very happy with the results. His process involved cutting a square off of the top, then cutting out part of the final pipe and one of the baffles, and TIG welding the top back on. I don't have a TIG (yet), but have access to one. This may be what I have to do to achieve the results I'm hoping for, but I'm going to try my theory first.

Our factory mufflers have a glass pack in them as the last pass. It looks like I should be able to angle in a long bit and punch out a good portion of this. I'll update more as I continue to study and get ready to start modifying.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:32 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
like i mentioned before, if you are able to put some washers in between bolts before the muffler, leaving a little opening in the pipe before the exaust hits, im curious to know how that sounds. assuming it is possible. i dont know the o2 sensor locations on the 3.7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Add some coffee beans to gas tank, let the motor grind em, and you my friend have a perfect recipe of dark roast morning coffee coming outa these Folger's!! Buh bye Starbucks!
Meanwhile, in an alternate universe - "Check out the muffler on that civic. what a coffee burner!"
Old 01-26-2015, 12:35 PM   #43
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
I have 2 pairs of stock mufflers laying around. I'm definitely subscribing to this to see how it goes.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:58 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPony14 View Post
Ok, I picked up the test subjects Sat. afternoon. I'm on a 40hr shift until Wen, so while I'm on shift I'm going to work on the process on paper.

While googling images of internal layouts, I have found someone else that has done this and was very happy with the results. His process involved cutting a square off of the top, then cutting out part of the final pipe and one of the baffles, and TIG welding the top back on. I don't have a TIG (yet), but have access to one. This may be what I have to do to achieve the results I'm hoping for, but I'm going to try my theory first.

Our factory mufflers have a glass pack in them as the last pass. It looks like I should be able to angle in a long bit and punch out a good portion of this. I'll update more as I continue to study and get ready to start modifying.
Which OEM muffler did you get? from a manual or auto. Substantial difference in sound to begin with.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:18 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

They were from an auto.
gkcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:24 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
lmao hold the sugar.
yellowconve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:36 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

10-4 on hold the sugar. Bump!
Old 01-27-2015, 11:21 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
like i mentioned before, if you are able to put some washers in between bolts before the muffler, leaving a little opening in the pipe before the exaust hits, im curious to know how that sounds. assuming it is possible. i dont know the o2 sensor locations on the 3.7.
I'm intrigued, but honestly have no idea what your talking about. From what I can tell it sounds like baffles in a supertrap motorcycle muffler, but I could be miss understanding you. If you could provide a little clarity, or a picture?
Old 01-27-2015, 02:05 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm intrigued, but honestly have no idea what your talking about. From what I can tell it sounds like baffles in a supertrap motorcycle muffler, but I could be miss understanding you. If you could provide a little clarity, or a picture?
Attached Images

yellowconve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:07 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This is how I interpreted it...
Click image for larger version

Name:	WASHER.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	174394
Old 01-28-2015, 04:15 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Pretty much. Might sound awful on different engines but I remember people doing it with a subaru legacy and it sounded deeper and a bit louder. So I was curious how it might sound on a 3.7

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 01-28-2015, 11:44 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
Pretty much. Might sound awful on different engines but I remember people doing it with a subaru legacy and it sounded deeper and a bit louder. So I was curious how it might sound on a 3.7

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

I knew people who did that on 370zs as well. Essentially your creating a massive exhaust leak to bypass the muffler for noise. If you would going to do that probable better off to take the mufflers off and put turn down pipes so the exhaust is getting directed downwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:48 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Finally getting an update. I've been taking my time, because I want to do the best test possible. I haven't been able to get an exact explanation for what the difference between the auto and the manual stock muffler, but everyone says the manual is louder. From the outside, there are clear differences in the tips, and the manuals look wayyy better. The auto has a pipe sticking through a short tip, where the manual has a longer tip that is tapered and smooth on the inside.

Before I start modifying the test exhaust I am going to use a DBL meter app on my iPhone measured at a set distance from the rear and inside my car at several different RPMs for both to get solid baselines for comparison.

In keeping with the budget intent for this project I have located a set of 25" drill bits at Harbor Freight that will work perfect for $10!! Now to get the projects done for my customer so I can work on mine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	autotip.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	174650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Manualtip1.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	174651  

Name:	Manualtip2.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	174652  
Old 02-01-2015, 11:03 AM   #54
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Try this first

As long as you still have the factory X- pipe on it. Just drill out the passenger side and not the drivers side. Start it up and take a drive. I'm pretty sure you may like the sound and you won't lose any torque.
Tip: If you get a regular hole drill the part you drill out will be in the drill bit and not rattling around in the muffler. Go to Sears and ask about the drill bits I'm talking about. They come in many sizes and will work much better then a bunch of small holes.
It does sound like a fun project and I can't wait to see your results.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:04 AM   #55
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Interested to see the results. The manuals do look better. Always thought my exhaust tips looked like someone was asleep on the line as the tips were welded on.

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:14 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't realize there was that big of a difference in the auto and manual but that center pipe and sound were the reasons I switched to MBRPs.
gkcontra is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang