Easy mods to be completed by teenager? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-23-2015, 12:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Easy mods to be completed by teenager?

I want my 16 year old son to do some mods himself to the car to get him some experience. He knows a decent bit about cars but hasn't ever done any modding. What are some simple/intermediate mods he can do to help him gain some experience.
syndicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2015, 12:52 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Oil, tune up and brakes
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
When i was a teenager i was doing all my own stuff, motor mounts, radiators, alternators, exhausts ... it took me 5x as long to do as it would now, but i think thats kind of the point and how you learn.

Basically let him dive in head first and struggle, it'll force him to think, get more creative with approaches, tool combinations... Theres really not much that is difficult on this car; if he's very green behind the ears just give him an intake or something, next level would be mufflers or mid pipe ... things like that. Most of this car is incredibly straight forward.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2015, 01:33 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Give him a lift and some longtube headers.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:00 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I'm a teen and have done all my mods myself and am getting ready to do Shorty Headers in the upcoming week, as long as he has the proper tools and time he will be okay with any basic bolt on.

SR Performance CAI, Diablosport Intune bama tuner, Roush Axleback, Matte black rocker stripes.
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:04 PM   #6
Kevin.Cook

Axleback Exhaust (Mufflers), Cold Air Intake, swapping the throttle body. Those are ones that can be done without a lift. As far as Cosmetic mods, louvers, side scoops, decklid panel, and hood scoops are 3M'd on. Have them change stock halogen lights for better ones. These are some simple things that can be done right from the start.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

if u want him to know about cars start with the most important basics like spark plug change oil change tire change believe it or not most kids are not going to know where its safe to put a jack to lift the car. and performance wise change the intake and maybe some axle back exhaust thats fairly easy like a hour or 2.
yellowconve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:46 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Suspension is actually a pretty good learning place. Most of the mods i've done on my car have been suspension, and when i started i was in pretty much the same boat as your car. Lower control arms are easy, upper control arm is easy, panhard bar is ridiculously easy, springs are easy. Or maybe have him do exhaust, its tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it you can do it so much faster.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:47 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Give him a lift and some longtube headers.

And make sure he is out of school for the entire month lmao.

HID end all thread
Old 01-23-2015, 03:13 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
And make sure he is out of school for the entire month lmao.
More like 2 hours
Lol

The real... boss 227
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:01 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Suspension is actually a pretty good learning place. Most of the mods i've done on my car have been suspension, and when i started i was in pretty much the same boat as your car. Lower control arms are easy, upper control arm is easy, panhard bar is ridiculously easy, springs are easy. Or maybe have him do exhaust, its tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it you can do it so much faster.
u think the suspension is easy to work on? i thought the exhaust was but i guess to each is there own. im better at electrical and wiring while my bro is the bomb at leaving things unfinished for me to finish so everyone's different at what there good at.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:14 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
More like 2 hours
Lol

The real... boss 227
2 hours? You mean 2 hours till he gives up? Lol

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 01-23-2015, 05:24 PM   #13
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowconve View Post
u think the suspension is easy to work on? i thought the exhaust was but i guess to each is there own. im better at electrical and wiring while my bro is the bomb at leaving things unfinished for me to finish so everyone's different at what there good at.

It's not super hard. It just takes a while.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

HID end all thread
Old 01-23-2015, 05:28 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
2 hours? You mean 2 hours till he gives up? Lol

I installed my turbo in 9
And I'm a teen :p

The real... boss 227
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:34 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
A year ago I had never even changed a tire before.
I first did axelback exhaust install. Then I did CAI. I had no clue what I was doing but those really helped me learn a lot about the car and the tools, and were not so hard that I had to give up. Since then I have done throttle body, head lights, suspension work, I even did lowering springs and shorty headers! Start small with something achievable that won't take too long and will have a big effect, like axleback exhaust. It's only about an hour, not too hard or complicated with tools, and you will feel so accomplished when you hear them roar after!
Old 01-23-2015, 05:35 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
A year ago I had never even changed a tire before.
I first did axelback exhaust install. Then I did CAI. I had no clue what I was doing but those really helped me learn a lot about the car and the tools, and were not so hard that I had to give up. Since then I have done throttle body, head lights, suspension work, I even did lowering springs and shorty headers! Start small with something achievable that won't take too long and will have a big effect, like axleback exhaust. It's only about an hour, not too hard or complicated with tools, and you will feel so accomplished when you hear them roar after!
Pretty much the same path I am taking!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:36 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

plus now days for real u dont need mechanics if u got the tools and youtube u can do it urself nowdays everything and the instructions how are on the internet.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:29 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I'm 20, close enough to a teen, and I have installed Longtubes/xpipe, axle backs, short shifter/bracket, taillight/headlight tint. It can be time consuming for larger installs like Longtubes, but it's all relatively easy. Just stick to Bolt on mods and you will be fine as long as you have a jack and jackstands

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
3.7L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:31 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by syndicate View Post
I want my 16 year old son to do some mods himself to the car to get him some experience. He knows a decent bit about cars but hasn't ever done any modding. What are some simple/intermediate mods he can do to help him gain some experience.

My and a friend put axle-back exhaust on my now gone mustang. Its easy enough to be not to big a hassle but still provides somewhat of a challenge.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:05 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
you have get out there and get ur hands dirty to learn. when i was 15 1/2 (before the internet) i did a 4cyl EFI to 302 carb , auto to std swap. car was blue but insurance made the old owner put brown b/c of the rust. did all the body work and paint. i had that mustang for 7 yrs. never took shop in school. some people have it and some people dont. you have to find out yourself. starting with oil changes isn't going to show u much. want to learn body work- use the net or read, buy a old panel and practice, its easy. mech-it's just un doing bolts and replacing parts, and a bottle of tylenol. fab- u either have it are u don't
dinobike19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:25 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Windshield Wipers.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:20 AM   #22
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
he can come over to my house and shovel if he's bored....
Old 01-24-2015, 12:03 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

lol hes teaching the kid a lesson about cars not shoveling lol
Old 01-24-2015, 06:02 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Do what my Dad did, took an old motor (391 Ford Truck motor) and an engine stand and said see what you can do. It was running 2 weeks later after I replaced the crank and 2 rods. But I did learn while I was doing it.
Anything you yourself are going to do to the car have him work on it with you, he will get to the point that he wants to do it by himself after a bit.
Hood Struts are a good mod to start him with, Redline tuning makes a set you do not have to unbolt the hood to get on Redline Tuning 21-11023 Mustang Hood Strut Kit Bolt-In 05-2014
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:16 PM   #25

Region: Illinois
Easy mods to be completed by teenager?

I'm only 17 and have modded my '12 v6 with a CAI and axelbacks plus a tune and it was all very straight forward and easy for me to do. My dad even helped me out a bit. Oh also I installed some awesome window louvres. All components of the wonderful American Muscle.

gmnichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:35 AM   #26
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Another thought, switching all the lights you can out to LEDs like the license plate, trunk, and interior dome lights. But that would take a few minutes, tops. Then move to the exterior marker lights. Or better, add smoke/clear corners at the same time.

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:35 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

A learning experience for me was just taking off the front bumper. Had to do it several times to get my Raxioms lined up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang