Noise and Shock - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-23-2015, 01:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Noise and Shock

FYI - the road noise I was hearing at high speeds was finally diagnosed today... Wheel well liner warped and was flapping against the front valence just behind the front bumper. They also noticed my left rear shock was busted (leaking). 2014 Mustang V6, 11,000 miles - all warranty items. Took me 5 dealerships and 11,000 miles of extremely annoying road noise to get to the bottom of this! Today is a big day!!! Thanks to Haley Ford in Richmond, Va for getting to the bottom of it.

-Adam

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
VTHokiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2015, 02:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Nope. Not it... They've tightened everything down and it is still loud and obnoxious. I guess it's just one of those situations I'm going to have to live with

Old 01-30-2015, 03:06 PM   #3
Kevin.Cook

Did they check tire inflation and make sure all of the wheels were balanced? Also, double check for abnormal wear on the rotors. Sometimes they can rub the brake pads if they are worn adbnormally. This happened to my wife's Dodge Avenger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2015, 03:09 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Kevin! They checked both the rotors and tire inflation (just asked them). It's definitely something flapping in the breeze, as the noise gets louder with speed. Around 75 MPH, it overpowers the radio...

Old 01-30-2015, 03:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokiez View Post
Nope. Not it... They've tightened everything down and it is still loud and obnoxious. I guess it's just one of those situations I'm going to have to live with

Find another dealer. Its a new car and you shouldn't have to live with a noise.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

This is the third dealership I've been to. They've all acknowledged the noise, just can't locate it.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Noise and Shock

Look at air deflector under the front bumper. It looks like a 1-2" plastic strip pointing vertical just under and to the back of the front bumper. Reach up and shake the hell out of it. It may be tight enough to not have noticeable movement but loose enough to move with some force(speed) or it may be cracked but not exactly a visible crack so visually it will appear fine. It may be cracked on one end and is flapping.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:41 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

That was the piece they replaced under warranty. Here is a link to the noise... I think it's near the wheel well.

http://youtu.be/jYwGx0MM17I

Old 01-30-2015, 03:41 PM   #9
Kevin.Cook

Sometimes unbalanced wheels will cause greater noise the faster you go. Also, check under the car and make sure nothing got stuck. Check the front bumper chin splitter.

You could also shake your mufflers and see if they are really loose. I would go around and try to move everything to make sure everything is secure. Such as the mirrors, under hood components, intake air box, etc.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:44 PM   #10
Kevin.Cook

Usually with these types of issues it is hard to diagnose without replacing a ton of stuff in the process. I had this type of issue on my old 3000GT and I ended up replacing tie rods, tires (they were worn anyways), Rotors, motor mounts, as well as other things that I cannot remember at this time. You just gotta be thorough and check EVERYTHING. Nothing can be ruled out no matter how silly it may be.

If it hasn't been checked, then it is a suspect for the noise.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:13 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

It has gotten worse. It has to do with wind/speed. It's definitely something flapping in the breeze. Taking it back in today, if they can't fix it, I don't know what I'm going to do. They've inspected "everything" and have tightened it down. I've been under and in, and everything appears to be secure. It's driving me absolutely batty and really makes driving my car unenjoyable. See video taken last night:

http://youtu.be/ce1wRs1bWOA

Old 02-13-2015, 10:24 AM   #12
Kevin.Cook

Take your passenger door panel off and drive around. I have heard sometimes the speakers and stuff go to poo and cause sounds. Seems like the closer you got to the passenger's side, the better I could hear the noise.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:26 AM   #13
Kevin.Cook

Have you ever took your doors apart? Maybe something isn't tightened. Also, anything in your glovebox or center area during that video? I would remove everything. Check EVERYTHING. Like passenger side fuse box and panel to make sure everything is secure.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:36 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

That was a completely empty glove box. I'll ask them to disassemble to door, check the security of the cabin filter and inspect every element of the car. It's definitely somewhere in the wheel well, door, trim or dash on the passenger's side. Seems like it gets even worse the colder it gets.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:46 AM   #15
Kevin.Cook

Have you ever removed the door panel? sounds like something may be loose around the area. If it was me, I would remove and inspect it myself. Rarely trust shops to get to the bottom of an issue like this. Give me a socket set and a screw driver with different bits and let me at it!

I had to do this myself when I dropped a bolt down into the door panel when I installed my Puddle Lamps
Old 02-13-2015, 11:20 AM   #16
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I've seen people use a GoPro to help find noise/vibrations and it's an excuse to buy a new toy that lets you go "watch this" I'll also suggest a willing passenger with either a mechanics stethoscope or a length of hose as a Yankee Farmer one held up to their ear.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:19 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Just left shop, wouldn't replicate wig tech in car, but then rattled all of the way home. Going to start taking things apart and see what I can find

Old 02-13-2015, 01:24 PM   #18
Kevin.Cook

You will need a socket wrench for most of the door. There are small bolts/screws all around the door. Then there is a small little plastic you gotta pop out from behind the door handle. And another plastic piece where you grab the door to close it. Be careful not to scratch these up as they are cheap/poor quality. These will need a screwdriver with a bit (Which bit I cannot remember off the top of my head but I believe it is like a star?)

Then you will need to pop up the plastic where the Electric Window switch is. Now be careful here, there is another bolt/screw tucked deep away inside there. You may have to feel around for it.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:26 PM   #19
Kevin.Cook

This might help:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:32 PM   #20
Kevin.Cook

Shop techs are usually good at fixing things if you tell them what exactly you need done. Now if you need them to diagnose something, better hang it up and call it a day.

I took my wife's Avenger in one time because there was a thumping in the back. They told me to take it to the original Dodge dealership because they thought the back axle was messed up. Come to find out, the rotor needed resurfaced. XD
Old 02-13-2015, 01:34 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Kevin. Check this out: thoughts? It's right where it seems like the sound is coming from.

http://youtu.be/hk7_lCPBGuI

Old 02-13-2015, 01:34 PM   #22
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokiez View Post
Just left shop, wouldn't replicate wig tech in car, but then rattled all of the way home. Going to start taking things apart and see what I can find

WAG! loose passenger seat and the weight of the tech stopped the rattle. I doubt it but it would be funny.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:35 PM   #23
Kevin.Cook

Strange Mud: Now that would be something! But definitely something he could try. :'D
Old 02-13-2015, 01:39 PM   #24
Kevin.Cook

As far as that foam/plastic piece. My best guess would be some sort of insulation? Is it small enough to remove and retry checking for the noise? I wouldnt want you taking it out if it is gonna be complex to get it back in.

If it does happen to be the culprit, try using some sort of 3M tape or adhesive to secure it.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:42 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

No good way of getting to it, I can't access it through the engine compartment and my hands are too big to get to it through the door jam

Old 02-13-2015, 01:47 PM   #26
Kevin.Cook

Do you have any 3M tape laying around or some decently strong tape you can try to secure it with?
Old 02-13-2015, 02:02 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Secured it with tape, adjusted it nine times went for a drive, still sound exists.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:07 PM   #28
Kevin.Cook

I would take the door apart now and try to move things to make sure everything is secure and that nothing rattles. Then drive around to see if you can pinpoint it.

This is the painful process of elimination.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:40 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I would check all the heat shields. They are several that could blow in the wind and make sounds. Just saying......
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 02:50 PM   #30
Kevin.Cook

What you need to do, is get the car up to 60 mph, then jump out and Ghost Ride the Whip! Then you can see if you can hear the sound from outside the car. LOL!

(I literally laughed extremely hard while typing this.)
Old 02-13-2015, 02:56 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Only thing to add would be "honey, hold my beer."

Old 02-13-2015, 02:58 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Everything looks good inside the door and with the heat shields I could get to. Just found a rock lodged inside the runner underneath the outside of the door. Will drive later to see if any of this did any good. Thanks for the help everyone.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang