would 18x10 widen 1" fit rear of stang??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-23-2015, 07:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
would 18x10 widen 1" fit rear of stang???

Hey guys!

So I have a quick little question about trying to fit some meats out back. I picked up some AM 13 style gt500 18x10 rims and I plan on getting them widen 1" at weldcraft. Only thing that sucks is I'm not at home to make sure this could even work, and I won't be for a few more months. I have the rims just sitting at home waiting for me and would be nice to know if this is even possible. These rims have a +45mm offset

Charcoal 2013 Style GT500 Mustang Wheel - 18x10 (05-14 All) - Free Shipping
Lan_Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2015, 08:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Youre going to get the rims widened? As in cut in half, and have a 1"piece of metal welded between the barrels? I would highly reccomend not doing that. Thats highly unsafe
RomanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanG View Post
Youre going to get the rims widened? As in cut in half, and have a 1"piece of metal welded between the barrels? I would highly reccomend not doing that. Thats highly unsafe
I'd agree here. You're weakening the rim's structure. Plus the shape will be off, you'd likely get odd vibrations and uneven tire wear.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2015, 03:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Widening wheels is apparently not uncommon and is none by many reputable companies that guarantee their work.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not worried about it falling apart of causing any kind of damage I'm just trying to figure out if it will even fit. I've seen an 08 gt500 widen some rims to11" and fit but the offset is a little different that what mine will end up with.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is if a +58 offset on a 18x11 rim would fit our rears.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:34 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan_Evo View Post
I'm not worried about it falling apart of causing any kind of damage I'm just trying to figure out if it will even fit. I've seen an 08 gt500 widen some rims to11" and fit but the offset is a little different that what mine will end up with.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is if a +58 offset on a 18x11 rim would fit our rears.
It sounds like you're figuring about a half inch gain on each side. Did you check this with "weldcraft"? If you didn't, you should. I saw some stuff that indicated the increase in width may be ALL positive gain in offset.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
This just seems like an absurd amount of work/risk for more offset. Spend the $$ and buy a properly built wheel so you don't kill yourself or potentially someone else when the weld fails.

Knowing that shops actually perform this kid of service seems like a huge liability and any shop willing to take that on, must be extremely good/expensive or extremely ghetto/shady.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:29 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

just google weldcraft or search through larger forums and you'll see plently of people have used their services on DD and track/drag cars. Again I'm not worried about a possible fail in the least bit, I'm just trying to find out if its possible to fit with those specs. And I don't care to spend close to 2g on rims alone that are 19" or 20" as they don't look good in my mind.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
just google weldcraft or search through larger forums and you'll see plently of people have used their services on DD and track/drag cars. Again I'm not worried about a possible fail in the least bit, I'm just trying to find out if its possible to fit with those specs. And I don't care to spend close to 2g on rims alone that are 19" or 20" as they don't look good in my mind.
I'm assuming you're looking at 305/35R18 tires??? it appears that others have used this size on a 10" wide rim which wouldn't be that much difference in actual tire width.
You should call American Muscle and ask them. They should know if they would fit.
Look at this post by American Muscle...
American Muscle 10" Wheel and P305/35R18 - Ford Mustang Forums
But you gotta check on your final offset. Unless you already know.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
All the 1 inch added will be on the inside, so your 7.2 inch back space it is going to be 8.2.
That is what you need to find out if it fits or not.
BTW Wheel widening has been going on since metal wheels were made and the wheel is just as strong or stronger when it is done.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:15 AM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I'm hoping you already know this:::::

Adding heavier wheels + Larger wider heavier tires may look great but you also need to add some horsepower and torque to compensate for the extra rotational
unsprung weight.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Adding heavier wheels + Larger wider heavier tires may look great but you also need to add some horsepower and torque to compensate for the extra rotational
unsprung weight.

Ronnie

If the numbers I've seen as far are correct, the rim/tire will be about 1lb-2lbs heavier than the rim/tire combo I currently have. But I do plan on getting the mpt turbo kit if all is well in the next 3-4 months.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:57 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanG View Post
Balderdash....done properly it is plenty safe.
Eric vaughn machine in Monrovia, ca. is the ONLY shop I'd use to widen aluminum wheels though. If you look at how he does them compared to how others do them, well then, you'll know what I mean.

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
I'd agree here. You're weakening the rim's structure. Plus the shape will be off, you'd likely get odd vibrations and uneven tire wear.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
OMG...LOL.

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Widening wheels is apparently not uncommon and is none by many reputable companies that guarantee their work.
DING DING...we have a winner!

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:59 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It sounds like you're figuring about a half inch gain on each side. Did you check this with "weldcraft"? If you didn't, you should. I saw some stuff that indicated the increase in width may be ALL positive gain in offset.
yep....all on the inside.

Tuned by AED
Old 01-26-2015, 01:14 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

11"s fit my GT just fine with 335/30/18's.
At most you may need a spacer if the back spacing is too deep but don't let anyone scare you away from those either. (The world is full of experts who speak from inexperience)
Going from a 10 to an 11 isn't much so no spacer will probably be needed.
I recently had some 20' wheels widened on a Super Snake to 11 3/4" and they fit-no spacer, no problem . (We needed to move the bump stop inboard slightly and all was good)

Tuned by AED
Old 01-26-2015, 01:31 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yes...and on BONNIVILLE SALT FLAT CARS.....if they can go 300 mph with widened wheels I think it's okay for our Mustangs.

Tuned by AED
Old 01-26-2015, 01:36 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

eric vaughn machine: aluminum wheel widening and narrowing

Services

Precision widening and narrowing of Aluminum, 1 and 2 piece automotive wheels. Diameters of 14" thru 22" and widths of 4" to 15" can be accommodated.
All work is performed personally by Eric Vaughn to guarantee top quality.
Narrowing is performed by removing width section, machining the 2 remaining pieces to interlock together, and welding back together using our special automatic rotary welder. Cost = usually $150.00 ea.
Widening is accomplished by removing normally a 1-2 inch wide piece of parent wheel, including bead seat and flange that holds the tire on, and replacing with another rim section that is longer to make it wider. The new piece comes from an outer shell that 2 piece wheels are made from. The 2 pieces are turned to interlock to maintain alignment during welding. The 2 pieces are then welded together on our automatic rotary welding machine. Final step is to skim cut in lathe the new bead seat diameter, and slim cut mounting surface on back of center. These steps insure a perfect true running wheel. Cost $200.00-$300.00 depending on size.
Many of our modified wheels run regularly at high speed, such as Bonneville Salt Flats, at 200-400+ MPH with confidence.

For more specific information call Eric at Vaughn Machine (626) 358-6413

Tuned by AED
Old 01-26-2015, 01:45 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabman View Post
So does that blue writing mean that this was an 8.5" rim?
Old 01-26-2015, 01:47 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
This is interesting, but I personally wouldn't do it.

How does this hold up to impact, like day to day driving and pot holes and such? Tracks/flats are usually pretty smooth so the only stress I would see in these scenarios is rotational. I'm talking doing 75mph and you hit a pot hole or ladder/debris in the road, things that would damage a normal wheel but it would remain intact.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:50 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So does that blue writing mean that this was an 8.5" rim?
Yup...18 x 8 1/2" FRPP factory bullets.
Since I added 2 1/2" to the inside I needed to use a spacer, but going from 10 to 11 almost certainly won't need them.

Tuned by AED
Old 01-26-2015, 01:54 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysh View Post
This is interesting, but I personally wouldn't do it.

How does this hold up to impact, like day to day driving and pot holes and such? Tracks/flats are usually pretty smooth so the only stress I would see in these scenarios is rotational. I'm talking doing 75mph and you hit a pot hole or ladder/debris in the road, things that would damage a normal wheel but it would remain intact.
I'm glad you asked....I had a shop (That I will not name) do some work on my car and they wrecked it. Slid it sideways into a center divider and over an embankment.
The outside of the wheel was destroyed as was the tire, the axle was bent bad and the rotor was shattered. The 1 1/4" spacer and the modified portion of the wheel was left intact. So when I hear that widened wheels and spacers are dangerous...I laugh. Those are the only parts that lived.
I still have that wheel...let me look for the pics....

Tuned by AED
Old 01-26-2015, 01:58 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

That spacer is still on the car today.....2 years later.

Tuned by AED
Old 01-26-2015, 02:07 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabman View Post
[

That spacer is still on the car today.....2 years later.
So that's what a 2 piece rotor looks like. JK
Old 01-26-2015, 02:11 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

Yeah, not what I had in mind so I went with these instead....and another shop.

Tuned by AED

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang