Window tint - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-27-2015, 09:21 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Window tint

I got a ticket for my window tint and I don't really feel like having it taken off in kalamazoo so my question is if I role the windows down, pull the fuses and go to get the ticket signed off if they will let me off. I'm probably gonna try it anyway but I was just wondering what everyone thinks will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Brandneutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2015, 09:32 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
window tint laws are by far the stupidest most bullsh*t laws there are. here in NJ it's illegal to have front Windows tinted too, but everybody has them. I'm debating whether or not to even get them, especially once I hear stories like these of tickets.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:34 AM   #3
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Sounds like you plan to lie to someone at the courthouse. I would just pay the ticket.

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2015, 09:54 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Just buy some tint film, cut it similar to the shape of your windows, and crumple it up and take it in a plastic bag. Just don't drive the car to the courthouse....

Matts14fp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

They didn't let me off I had to have the tint taken off. Not terribly upset 20% was a little dark for me and I'll probably have 35% put on in the summer but it's still a stupid law

Old 01-27-2015, 02:19 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
They will actually have to inspect it. If your window isn't working they will most likely tell you to go get it fixed and then bring it back. You have 2 options:

1. Take it off and get it signed off.
2. Pay the larger fine and don't get it signed off.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:19 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I had a shop fail the yearly inspection for the tint on my work truck because their meter showed that it was 2% darker than the state maximum. It's been that way for 5 years since I bought it used. Never been pulled over and never had an issue before. The shop just wanted to charge me to change it. I simply took it to another inspection place and paid another $50 to get it inspected.

I agree that tint laws are dumb. They try to justify the law by saying that it is for officer and driver safety. Cops want to be able to see if your wearing your seat belt, have an open container, or something like that. If its dark, its another excuse to pull you over and look in your car and check your paperwork.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:12 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
I got a fix it ticket for dark tint too (5%) and they needed a picture of the car with no tint on
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Cost me $20 and I'll have it out back on in the summer the tint laws are dumb and at my school is the only place I've been that seems to care. I won't be living on campus next year so I shouldn't have any more problems.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:57 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Just remember children, once you get it signed off, it will be in your state database. So if you get pulled over, the police will already know you have gotten caught once before.

Not having tinted windows does make is safer for police officers. More importantly, it makes it safer for pedestrians and other vehicles. If you ever hit someone in the crosswalk, having your windows tinted darker than allowed by law, you will not have any defense you can use.

Just put on a paper bag and cut out some eyeholes. That way no one will be able to see your ugly faces and you will still think your "COOL"!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

It doesn't make police any more or less safe. It makes them feel more safe. I can accomplish the same feeling of safety by rolling my windows down completely. Bad people are going to do bad things regardless of the level of tint on their windows.

If an officer feels unsafe approaching a vehicle with tinted windows rolled up he can order them to roll the windows down. Non-compliance with a lawful order should send up other red flags.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Just remember children, once you get it signed off, it will be in your state database. So if you get pulled over, the police will already know you have gotten caught once before.

Not having tinted windows does make is safer for police officers. More importantly, it makes it safer for pedestrians and other vehicles. If you ever hit someone in the crosswalk, having your windows tinted darker than allowed by law, you will not have any defense you can use.

Just put on a paper bag and cut out some eyeholes. That way no one will be able to see your ugly faces and you will still think your "COOL"!

But what can they do issue me another fix it ticket? It's not like it costs me anything other than $20 to get the tint off and then put back on

Old 01-28-2015, 10:41 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandneutral View Post
But what can they do issue me another fix it ticket? It's not like it costs me anything other than $20 to get the tint off and then put back on

You would be subject to another ticket if stopped again. If the officer finds out you have already received one, he could make your appearance mandatory, and have the judge order you to comply. If you refuse then, you can be found in contempt of court.

The could also take your car out of service, and have it towed.

Both of these examples are a bit extreme, but possible. The most likely event would be for you to continue getting tickets. Eventually it would add up to the cost of the tint.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Dude just do the right thing, don't be Michigan's rush gotti lol
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:18 AM   #15
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Why don't you take your mufflers off before you go so your car is so loud they can't see you didn't remove the tint.

just curiosity, what are you going to school for? I'm assuming it ain't ethics.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:37 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Window tint

Alright first off the tints are off did it the day after I got the ticket. Second I think it's a stupid law. Third I know in my hometown that the cops really don't care. How? Im on a first name basis with half the officers. Lastly It keeps getting harder for me to respect the laws in place when I see those who enforce them continue to break them. I'm not saying I'm going to do 100 mph through campus but the little petty things get old especially when I see cops making illegal maneuvers in highly populated areas in order to catch them.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:55 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Dude just do the right thing, don't be Michigan's rush gotti lol

Two completely different things. I have been stopped numerous time and have always done everything I could to make the officer as comfortable as possible. Including rolling my windows down interior lights on and keys on the dash. Running from the police is completely unacceptable and I have never considered it even in situations where I probably could have gotten away.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:03 AM   #18
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
window tint laws are by far the stupidest most bullsh*t laws there are. here in NJ it's illegal to have front Windows tinted too, but everybody has them. I'm debating whether or not to even get them, especially once I hear stories like these of tickets.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.
I totally disagree with this statement. Put yourself in the position of a police officer approaching a vehicle that he/she cannot see into. A potential crook pulls a gun, shots get fired, someone gets hurt or killed. Would you want to be in a situation where a car cannot be seen in during a routine traffic stop?

Now imagine that officer is someone you know, say a family member who has a family of his/her own. Still think too dark of window tinting are stupid laws?
Old 01-29-2015, 11:10 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I totally disagree with this statement. Put yourself in the position of a police officer approching a vehicle that he/she cannot see into. A potential crook pulls a gun, shots get fired.

No imagine that officer is someone you know, say a family member who has a family. Still think too dark of window tinting are stupid laws?

It was previously mentioned that if an officer is uncomfortable approaching a car than he can tell them to put their windows down. If they fail to comply then it's a warning sign.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:22 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
It bothers me more about rear windows. Driver windows are usually rolled down all the way, and regardless, behind the should like that is a great position. I hate walking up to a driver and the rear windows being darker than sin, not knowing if a sawed off is going to give me a closed coffin.

Sent from my XT1094 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:51 AM   #21
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
It bothers me more about rear windows. Driver windows are usually rolled down all the way, and regardless, behind the should like that is a great position. I hate walking up to a driver and the rear windows being darker than sin, not knowing if a sawed off is going to give me a closed coffin.

Are you LE? Just curious as it would provide helpful insight. I'm looking at getting mine tinted 35% all around. Where I live it's 40% allowed on front windows (not windshield), 25% on rear windows (I guess the triangular windws in this case), and 12% on the back glass. By going with 35% all around I will be well above legal on the back windows and glass and would be just below legal on the fronts, but hopefully close enough to be left alone.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:00 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I just went to the eye doctor and told them I'm sensitive to light. So they write me a prescription for window tint as dark as needed.

WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:11 PM   #23
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

They apparently cracked down on that here. Too many people abusing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-29-2015, 12:12 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCali5oh View Post
I just went to the eye doctor and told them I'm sensitive to light. So they write me a prescription for window tint as dark as needed.

I asked what was involved in that as I have very blue eyes and I usually just wear sunglasses. However, the officer said that if you get a prescription and get pulled over for tints you have to get your doctor to go to court with you in order for it to be dismissed. I think that's crap and the cop is full of it but whatever.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:24 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Didn't happen to me as we got pulled over in my car specifically
For tint. I work in a underground coal mine and am actually sensitive to light. I also wear sunglasses while I drive usually as well. He just told me to have a nice day lol.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:31 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Your reasoning is probably better than mine which is why I had the tints pulled instead of going that route. I could probably make the case but sunglasses work for me so there's no need to go any farther.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:49 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
I totally disagree with this statement. Put yourself in the position of a police officer approaching a vehicle that he/she cannot see into. A potential crook pulls a gun, shots get fired, someone gets hurt or killed. Would you want to be in a situation where a car cannot be seen in during a routine traffic stop?

Now imagine that officer is someone you know, say a family member who has a family of his/her own. Still think too dark of window tinting are stupid laws?
yeah, i still think it's stupid. in NJ, ANY grade tint is illegal. not "too dark," but any grade is 100% illegal.

if you're a cop, you order them to open the windows from a safe distance. they don't? you draw your weapon and order them again to roll down the windows, put their hands outside the vehicle, open the door from the outside handle, and step out of the vehicle. they'll proceed with caution, and call in backup. they already have a warning that the driver isn't being compliant with their request.
in my town in NJ, 3 cops will come along to pull you over for a minor traffic stop; I know this because 3 cars were there to pull me over when I was doing 10mph over the speed limit. it's a joke.

tinted window laws are just a bull**** excuse for yet another law that the state thinks they need to suppress people with.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:00 PM   #28
Road Trip!

Quote:

Well here's the thing. Florida lets you run 30% in the front. Are Florida cops not as safe? I agree it helps cops feel safe, but that's also why my tax dollars pay to train them how to keep themselves safe. Window tint doesn't kill cops.

Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:24 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCali5oh View Post
Didn't happen to me as we got pulled over in my car specifically
For tint. I work in a underground coal mine and am actually sensitive to light. I also wear sunglasses while I drive usually as well. He just told me to have a nice day lol.

Can't tell if you're kidding. But I was born with extreme sensitivity to light. Specially with my contacts on. Could never figure out what it was.

As to topic I run 5% all around in Miami haven't had a problem yet.

alecas447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:10 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Here's a good up-to-date list of tinting requirements by state.
http://www.precuttints.com/state-tint-laws
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:37 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
Are you LE? Just curious as it would provide helpful insight. I'm looking at getting mine tinted 35% all around. Where I live it's 40% allowed on front windows (not windshield), 25% on rear windows (I guess the triangular windws in this case), and 12% on the back glass. By going with 35% all around I will be well above legal on the back windows and glass and would be just below legal on the fronts, but hopefully close enough to be left alone.
Yes, for some reason most guys are more concerned up front... But, often they walk right up with no regard. Each state is different, someone posted a link, but I'd find your state and check again just to be safe- they may not update, and there could be an error.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:49 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Tinting is not about how cool it looks. It is about the effect of the sun on driver visibility. And it is a tradeoff. Too dark make seeing inside impossible and poses a risk if the occupants have violent intentions. In Oklahoma, good tint is a necessity. Up north, it is less a need. The problem is that when it is not needed, it interferes with visibility, especially at night. I agree that some cops take it too far when they nit pick over small deviations. And what if the vehicle was purchased in another state? Good cops only have issues when it is way over tinted, and/or if the occupants show indications of being outside the law.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:01 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecas447 View Post
Can't tell if you're kidding. But I was born with extreme sensitivity to light. Specially with my contacts on. Could never figure out what it was.

As to topic I run 5% all around in Miami haven't had a problem yet.

No I'm not kidding. I'm extremely sensitive to light

Old 01-30-2015, 04:55 AM   #34
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I'm not against window tinting; I have the allowed legal tint for my front and back side windows. I'm also respectful to the law. In the few times I've been pulled over, I've always rolled down the windows, and placed my hands on the steering wheel. As the officer approached, they saw this; one even thanked me for being curtious, checked my license and registration and sent me on my way.

I'm not desputing good cop/bad cop issues, only respecting laws that are intended to protect every one. IMO, too dark of a tint that does not allow someone to see into a vehicle has a valid point to restrict it, unless there are medical reasons for its need. And those that abuse this medical privelege (you know who you are) potentially ruin it for those who are in real need for it.

Lets not get me started on the handicap parking permits.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:01 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Why do so many of the police vehicles have heavy tinting?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang