One piece driveshaft installed. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-27-2015, 12:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
One piece driveshaft installed.

Hello forums!

Recently picked up a one piece driveshaft from the Axle Exchange for my 2012 V6.

Installed it today, a few hours ago. Installation was not the most difficult, however I was using jackstands and had a tad problem with clearance issues which i will get to.

Simple hand tools were used: Breaker bar, torque wrench, 12 point 12mm socket, mallet, screw driver and socket extensions

Removing the bolts were not to difficult, did have to use extensions due to the fact that my breaker bar head was to large and the driveshaft got in the way.

Most difficult part for me was breaking off the driveshaft after removing all bolts were removed. I used a rubber mallet as well as a screwdriver between the rear axle flange and driveshaft to break it off. This was where i ran into clearance issues, I was on jackstands and couldn't get enough force to hit the screwdriver hard enough. However after enough swear words, i got it

Slid the stock driveshaft through the rear and compared it to the new driveshaft. completely different, weight is definitely noticeable.

Installed new driveshaft with ease, I used blue lock tight, torqued all bolts down to 75 ft, completed this much faster than removing the stock Ds.

The first drive did feel different to me personally. The shifting through the power bands did feel a lot smoother, i didn't get any rough shifting or anything weird. No vibration at all in the higher speeds, overall a very well built, quality made driveshaft and i am completely happy with my purchase.

TL: DR- Bought new driveshaft, installed was fairly easy, driving is fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	174373  
RomanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2015, 12:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Nice write up man. How much did you get it for and from where? I'm in the market for a new one

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 01-27-2015, 12:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Nice write up. How long did it take? Can you post again after a while and let us know how it affects your mpgs? A while back there was a discussion about whether mpgs would go up or down, and consensus ended up being that it would depend on whether you do more highway or city driving. The idea was that in the city the reduced rotational mass of the one piece helps accelerate easier, but on the freeway the added rotational mass of the stock driveshaft helps maintain cruising speed with less energy. It would help to see what happens on yours.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2015, 12:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanG View Post
Hello forums!

Recently picked up a one piece driveshaft from the Axle Exchange for my 2012 V6.

Installed it today, a few hours ago. Installation was not the most difficult, however I was using jackstands and had a tad problem with clearance issues which i will get to.

Simple hand tools were used: Breaker bar, torque wrench, 12 point 12mm socket, mallet, screw driver and socket extensions

Removing the bolts were not to difficult, did have to use extensions due to the fact that my breaker bar head was to large and the driveshaft got in the way.

Most difficult part for me was breaking off the driveshaft after removing all bolts were removed. I used a rubber mallet as well as a screwdriver between the rear axle flange and driveshaft to break it off. This was where i ran into clearance issues, I was on jackstands and couldn't get enough force to hit the screwdriver hard enough. However after enough swear words, i got it

Slid the stock driveshaft through the rear and compared it to the new driveshaft. completely different, weight is definitely noticeable.

Installed new driveshaft with ease, I used blue lock tight, torqued all bolts down to 75 ft, completed this much faster than removing the stock Ds.

The first drive did feel different to me personally. The shifting through the power bands did feel a lot smoother, i didn't get any rough shifting or anything weird. No vibration at all in the higher speeds, overall a very well built, quality made driveshaft and i am completely happy with my purchase.

TL: DR- Bought new driveshaft, installed was fairly easy, driving is fun.
ahh good ol clunky sittin next to a shiny new 1 piece! notice any clunks now when moving around between 1st/2nd gears at low speeds?
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I actually found mine off of craigslist, used with 2500 miles on it, got it for 350 so it was pretty cheap, i did do a full inspections ect to make sure there were no cracks or anything of the sort. Guy bought a new 2015 gt so was selling all parts.

I will definitely keep an eye on my mpg, i never do highway driving I do all city driving.

Overall from jacking up the car to putting all my tools away it took 1:30 hours. Started at 8:30 finished up at 10.

I did have that low speed kind of clunk with the stock driveshaft, felt unnatural. Feels a lot more smoother and refined at that shift, feels a lot better.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I have that exact same shaft sitting in my room waiting for me lol. Waiting to get the UCA and safety loop then knock everything out at once.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
I actually found mine off of craigslist, used with 2500 miles on it, got it for 350 so it was pretty cheap, i did do a full inspections ect to make sure there were no cracks or anything of the sort. Guy bought a new 2015 gt so was selling all parts.

I will definitely keep an eye on my mpg, i never do highway driving I do all city driving.

Overall from jacking up the car to putting all my tools away it took 1:30 hours. Started at 8:30 finished up at 10.

I did have that low speed kind of clunk with the stock driveshaft, felt unnatural. Feels a lot more smoother and refined at that shift, feels a lot better.
350 is a good deal from what i know. this is on my list sooner than later....

Are Drive shafts different for GT and V6?
AirAidCIA | BAMA 87P Tune | BoralAtak AB| BMRAdj UCA | BMR UCA Mnt | BMRAdj PHB | GCCoilOvers | DSS 1 Piece AL Driveshaft | BMRLCA | BMR LCA Reloc Brackets | BARTONShifter | GT CS Spoiler| RedLine Hood struts | MMD Axim 20X8.5 Audio: Dynamatted Rear & Doors | AudioControl LC8i | Speakers: Infinity 682.9cf | RockFord Prime R250X4 Amp | Rockford Prime 500.1 Mono AMP | Kicker Twin10" L5 Solo Barics in a Ported BOX |P.S MORE TO COMEEEEE!!!!
Firstang001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:01 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I have a Bmr adjustable upper control arm as well as the mount in my closet. Saving that for when i do my suspension. Im just waiting on shocks and struts, currently have caster camber plates, upper control arm and mount, bumpsteer kit, h&r super sport springs and lower control arm relocation brackets

On the car i already have my front and rear sway bars (s&r) and bmr lower control arms

The shafts are different between the v6 and gt
Old 01-27-2015, 05:13 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
I have a Bmr adjustable upper control arm as well as the mount in my closet. Saving that for when i do my suspension. Im just waiting on shocks and struts, currently have caster camber plates, upper control arm and mount, bumpsteer kit, h&r super sport springs and lower control arm relocation brackets

On the car i already have my front and rear sway bars (s&r) and bmr lower control arms

The shafts are different between the v6 and gt
Did you check your pinion angle before/after? The consensus says it should change but by such a small amount it doesn't matter.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:32 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I havent installed the upper control arm or mount i plan on doing it when i lower the car to get the final pinion angle needed

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang