Thinking about future mods... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-29-2015, 08:52 AM   #1
Kevin.Cook

Thinking about future mods...

I have done alot of googling but I cannot seem to find enough information to put my mind at ease. I want to buy a tuner and Aluminum driveshaft.

My questions are, if I retune my car for Performance and not Race, am I looking at any long term problems? Such as decreased engine life by advancing engine components? Also, is the driveshaft a simple unbolt old/bolt on new? My car is not lowered and I do not plan on lowering it. Or will other parts need to be purchased?

I am not planning on dragging my car, but I want it to be as efficient as possible. (immediate throttle response and fuel usage).

Last thing I want is to drop $1,000 more into my car, only to brick it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2015, 09:06 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I've never heard of any issues resulting in engine wear due to a legitimate tune. Then again the highest mileage car of this gen I've heard of is something like 147k with maybe 70 of that tuned.

As for the driveshaft, it is pretty straightforward. You'll need a lift though, it'd be pretty difficult to get it out with just a jack. You'll also need a torque wrench capable of 120 ft lbs.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:17 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Didnt search quite enough...

One piece driveshaft installed.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2015, 09:24 AM   #4
Kevin.Cook

Ahh seems to be a recent post that I did not see about a week ago when I was doing my searching. Thank you!
Old 01-29-2015, 09:25 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Ahh seems to be a recent post that I did not see about a week ago when I was doing my searching. Thank you!

No problem.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:21 PM   #6
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
I have done alot of googling but I cannot seem to find enough information to put my mind at ease. I want to buy a tuner and Aluminum driveshaft.

My questions are, if I retune my car for Performance and not Race, am I looking at any long term problems? Such as decreased engine life by advancing engine components? Also, is the driveshaft a simple unbolt old/bolt on new? My car is not lowered and I do not plan on lowering it. Or will other parts need to be purchased?

I am not planning on dragging my car, but I want it to be as efficient as possible. (immediate throttle response and fuel usage).

Last thing I want is to drop $1,000 more into my car, only to brick it.
Hey Kevin,

A tuner and drive-shaft are two great mods for the 3.7 S197 and are awesome mods to start with especially when you consider the driveshaft issues that these cars are plagued with.

I am a huge fan of the The Driveshaft Shop Aluminum One Piece Driveshaft myself and highly recommend it.

In regards to install, it is not the hardest thing to do but will require some experience and will definitely be easier done on a lift!

Onto tuning... What can I say? Once you tune the car you won't go back!

Tuning really wakes these cars up and is the absolute best bang for your buck mod on the market.

I am a huge fan of the Bama X4/SF4 Power Flash Tuner and run it personally.

You will turn your car into a completely different beast with the help of a tune and will not be disappointed.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions!

-Will
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:37 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

I want a tune ssssooo bad....thats the one thing my dealer told me will usually get you into trouble with the warranty. He said its hard to determine sometimes when its a tune issue or something else. Most of the time they'll just blame the tune...
Old 01-29-2015, 12:51 PM   #8
Kevin.Cook

Same here. :'(
Old 01-29-2015, 03:21 PM   #9
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
I want a tune ssssooo bad....thats the one thing my dealer told me will usually get you into trouble with the warranty. He said its hard to determine sometimes when its a tune issue or something else. Most of the time they'll just blame the tune...
Quote:
Same here. :'(
Hey Socal and Kevin,

I completely understand where you are coming from and dealerships can definitely be finicky. I have a 2014 GT personally and have never had an issue in regards to warranty work and she's been tuned since she turned 500 miles. In the event that you run into an issue, the dealer must prove that the mod (tune in this case) is what caused the issue without a shadow of doubt (Check out the magnuson moss warranty act just to get a better idea).

For example, if you install an axle-back and your passenger side power mirror fails, they have to prove to you that your exhaust caused the mirror to fail (which they can't!) If you're concerned with the dealer voiding your warranty, I would take a look around for a modification friendly dealer. Look for one where you see some Modified Mustangs outside the lot and in most cases they're going to be pretty easy to work with.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'm here to help!

-Will
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:37 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMWill View Post
Hey Socal and Kevin,

I completely understand where you are coming from and dealerships can definitely be finicky. I have a 2014 GT personally and have never had an issue in regards to warranty work and she's been tuned since she turned 500 miles. In the event that you run into an issue, the dealer must prove that the mod (tune in this case) is what caused the issue without a shadow of doubt (Check out the magnuson moss warranty act just to get a better idea).

For example, if you install an axle-back and your passenger side power mirror fails, they have to prove to you that your exhaust caused the mirror to fail (which they can't!) If you're concerned with the dealer voiding your warranty, I would take a look around for a modification friendly dealer. Look for one where you see some Modified Mustangs outside the lot and in most cases they're going to be pretty easy to work with.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'm here to help!

-Will
Yep that Act is definitely worth understanding.

That being said, Ford could take you through the ringer and try to make you give up, I have heard of that scenario.

Best thing to do is just take it back to stock before any warranty work. If it's not tuned when they get it, they don't normally bother looking at imprints to see if it's been tuned.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMWill View Post
"...the dealer must prove that the mod (tune in this case) is what caused the issue without a shadow of doubt (Check out the magnuson moss warranty act just to get a better idea)."

Yeah...after you take them to court!!
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang