Graduation gift? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-29-2015, 06:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Graduation gift?

My wife and I decided that we are going to get each other gradation gifts in May when we both are finally done with school (took us until our thirties, but better late than never, right?)
We are planning for her gift to trade in her fusion and get her a new explorer. As far as my gift that I want hmmmm, of course it would've for the mustang.
I'm leaning toward a few different items and just was curious on anyone's opinion or experience with them. I'm sure most here would say gears and that's prob #1 on my list but I have other things I'd like as well. BTW I'm not interested in a tune yet because of possible warranty issues, so that leaves my list to these items...

Gears(hoping Ford could install since it's the same as the performance package from the factory)- Ford Racing 3.31 Mustang Gears M-4209-88331 (11-14 V6) - Free Shipping

Wheels- 11/12 GT/CS Style Black Machined Mustang Wheel & Sumitomo Tire Kit - 19x8.5 (05-14 All) - Free Shipping

Fog lights- Raxiom Mustang Fog Light Kit (13-14 V6) - Free Shipping

Nav system- Raxiom OE-Style Mustang GPS Navigation w/ Bluetooth & Back-up Camera 100300 (10-14 All) - Free Shipping

Here are a few pics of my car as it stands today if that helps.

Thanks in advance for the help/advice/opinions everyone!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1422578296.270906.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	174489Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1422578337.408670.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	174490Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1422578389.304110.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	174491Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1422578485.286952.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	174492

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
rringler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2015, 06:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I would skip the fog lights and the raxiom unit.

As for the gears, you mention that you're not ready for a tune yet. I would hold off on the gears until you are ready for a tune and go for 3.55 or 3.73s at that time. Skip the 3.31s in my opinion.

Your wheels are definitely what need attention! I personally think those stock 17 inch rims are the most disgusting things on the planet. Get your car a nice set of rims and wheels. Take your time and shop for the style you really want! If those GT/CS ones are what you want, put them in your shopping cart and get ready to check out in May.

If you do go with wheels, you could also consider getting your calipers painted! I think it would look a lot better painted. But again, that's just because my personal opinion on the caliper covers is that they look like crap lol.

You may also consider a new spoiler as a gift option!
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Nice idea! I am also in my 30s and will be graduating in may, too (actually went back to school), nothing wrong with that I have the Ford Racing 3.31 Gears on my automatic and am pretty happy with them. Gas mileage is important to me and I use the V6 as a DD. If I had to go again, I would probably go 3.55's. Anyway, the 3.31's are a good improvement over the 2.73's. But I also got a tune with them so I can't really tell how gears alone are. What about exhaust? I've lived with the stock ones for 4 months now and I need something that does the car justice so I ordered some magnaflow street axle backs which I will install this weekend.
derklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2015, 07:12 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I would also skip the raxiom unit and fog lights.

I agree with Die, the stock wheels are ****. And like already mentioned take your time choosing wheels, trust me I've been looking at all different wheels for a while and I still haven't come to a decision, but if those are the ones you want/like put them on your "build list" on AM til you graduate. In the meantime you can keep on looking; CarId has a bunch to look at!

You could go lower (if that's something you would like to do.) Change exhaust if you still have the stock.

For gears, 3.55 or 3.73 but I would hold on to that until ready to tune.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
If you have Ford do the 3.31 Gears you could just get your spedometer adjusted without getting a tuner.
derklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:19 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the advice guys. I do already have the Ford Racing Sport axle backs and love them. Maybe I will lean toward some wheels. Good advice on the gears, I'm sure I would eventually want the 3.73's anyway down the road. I'm not 100% on those wheels either. I've been looking at wheels for like a year and still haven't seen ones I absolutely want 100%. Oh decisions! Haha.
Thanks again everyone.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I've been eyeballing these for a while now if it is any help in your selection.

TSW® NURBURGRING Wheels - Matte Gunmetal Rims

STR-RACING® STR605 Wheels - Matte Black Rims

RTR Charcoal Mustang Custom Wheel - 19x9.5 V710-DGM-19x9.5-ET33 (05-14 All) - Free Shipping
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Don't forget about some roush splitter and gt500 spoiler that will definitely change the look of your car.

MPT TUNE, Borla S-Type, Airaid Cai, Ford racing X pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, 2010 GT500 rims, 35% tint, Sr Springs, J&M phb, camber bolts, blacked out side markers, front and taillights.
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Can't forget about the aluminum driveshaft
Old 01-29-2015, 09:01 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rringler View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. I do already have the Ford Racing Sport axle backs and love them. Maybe I will lean toward some wheels. Good advice on the gears, I'm sure I would eventually want the 3.73's anyway down the road. I'm not 100% on those wheels either. I've been looking at wheels for like a year and still haven't seen ones I absolutely want 100%. Oh decisions! Haha.
Thanks again everyone.

Yeah, wheels are pretty hard to decide on. Been a year or so and still got a few I'm looking into haha

I like those STRs, how much do those things weigh you know? From TSW I like the Interlagos, Sochi, and those two new ones they're making/just released. KMC has a set of wheels I liked but they're 20s and heavy :/
Old 01-30-2015, 12:59 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Black wheels always look to me like the hubcaps fell off the car.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:37 AM   #12
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I have driven the V6 with the 2.73 and 3.31 (have 3.31) and it is a big improvement. Ford will do this and you'll keep your wtty. However I would prefer 3.55/3.73? and if ya think thats where you'll end up it's a shame to pay twice. nice looking ride btw and my .02 is to get the gears or something you didn't toss out which would be a GT500 spoiler in black to keep with your color scheme.

edit: I've suggested to others to get the spoiler painted body color then you can plastidip it black which gives you color choices down the road.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:43 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post
Black wheels always look to me like the hubcaps fell off the car.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
What's are hupcaps?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:38 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Black wheels are becoming much more common, especially with all the plastidip. BUT along with other blacked out parts, 18"-19" gloss or even matte black wheels can look sick on a Mustang.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:00 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic14 View Post
Can't forget about the aluminum driveshaft
+1 on this.
AirAidCIA | BAMA 87P Tune | BoralAtak AB| BMRAdj UCA | BMR UCA Mnt | BMRAdj PHB | GCCoilOvers | DSS 1 Piece AL Driveshaft | BMRLCA | BMR LCA Reloc Brackets | BARTONShifter | GT CS Spoiler| RedLine Hood struts | MMD Axim 20X8.5 Audio: Dynamatted Rear & Doors | AudioControl LC8i | Speakers: Infinity 682.9cf | RockFord Prime R250X4 Amp | Rockford Prime 500.1 Mono AMP | Kicker Twin10" L5 Solo Barics in a Ported BOX |P.S MORE TO COMEEEEE!!!!
Firstang001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:34 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Well good news, I think. Just stopped by my dealer on my way home from work just now. The guy there that I have have talked to about parts the last 3 years or so said that they are "very lenient when it comes to mods and a tune". He said as long as the parts are in his database and can be ordered and they install it then it would never be a problem. He then told me I could even order the parts from summit racing or AM as long as they are the same parts as he could get. Now I'm leaning toward the 3.73 but I wasn't sure, do I need to get a tune with those or would just a speedometer adjustment be ok?

Old 01-30-2015, 01:01 PM   #17
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
My wife and I decided that we are going to get each other gradation gifts in May when we both are finally done with school (took us until our thirties, but better late than never, right?)
We are planning for her gift to trade in her fusion and get her a new explorer. As far as my gift that I want hmmmm, of course it would've for the mustang.
I'm leaning toward a few different items and just was curious on anyone's opinion or experience with them. I'm sure most here would say gears and that's prob #1 on my list but I have other things I'd like as well. BTW I'm not interested in a tune yet because of possible warranty issues, so that leaves my list to these items...

Gears(hoping Ford could install since it's the same as the performance package from the factory)- Ford Racing 3.31 Mustang Gears M-4209-88331 (11-14 V6) - Free Shipping

Wheels- 11/12 GT/CS Style Black Machined Mustang Wheel & Sumitomo Tire Kit - 19x8.5 (05-14 All) - Free Shipping

Fog lights- Raxiom Mustang Fog Light Kit (13-14 V6) - Free Shipping

Nav system- Raxiom OE-Style Mustang GPS Navigation w/ Bluetooth & Back-up Camera 100300 (10-14 All) - Free Shipping

Here are a few pics of my car as it stands today if that helps.

Thanks in advance for the help/advice/opinions everyone!

Attachment 174489Attachment 174490Attachment 174491Attachment 174492

Hey Rringler,

Let me start off by saying Congratulations on graduating to you and your wife, that's awesome!

You have a nice list mods going there and I love them all!

What kind of driving to you plan to do with the car?

Looking at the 3.31 gears I'm thinking that the difference between them and your factory gears would not be worth the swap.

Personally, I would aim for 3.73's as they will really wake up the car but still be able to cruise around when you want to!

The 11/12 GT/CS Style Black Machined Wheel & Sumitomo Tire Kit is a great choice. The wheels look like factory wheels but still give you a sleek look and a wider size!

The Raxiom Fog Light Kit is another great choice. They look great, install fairly easily and really light up the road!

In regards to navigation, you can't go wrong with the Raxiom unit if you are looking for a factory like navigation with plenty of awesome features. I love the unit myself and have run it personally!

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions.

-Will
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:04 PM   #18
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Well good news, I think. Just stopped by my dealer on my way home from work just now. The guy there that I have have talked to about parts the last 3 years or so said that they are "very lenient when it comes to mods and a tune". He said as long as the parts are in his database and can be ordered and they install it then it would never be a problem. He then told me I could even order the parts from summit racing or AM as long as they are the same parts as he could get. Now I'm leaning toward the 3.73 but I wasn't sure, do I need to get a tune with those or would just a speedometer adjustment be ok?

props to them, but, I'll bet a beverage they won't put it in writing. I also don't think Ford offers a V6 tune with anything other than 3.31 (2.73 don't count)
Old 01-30-2015, 01:12 PM   #19
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Rringler,

You can get away with replacing the gears without a tune if you have the dealership adjust the speedometer for you (not 100% sure if they can or cannot as 3.73 was not an option for the 3.7).

That being said, I would whole-heartily recommend tuning the car especially if you are dealing with a lenient dealership.

The Bama X4/SF4 Power Flash Tuner will really wake the car up while adjusting for the gears and anything else that you might change down the road!

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions!

-Will
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:54 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I went from the factory 3.31's to 3.73's gears. Huge improvement. Just saying......
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:28 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
I went from the factory 3.31's to 3.73's gears. Huge improvement. Just saying......
What kind of gas mileage are you getting with the 3.73s? I'm leaning more toward 3.55s but everyone recommends 3.73s

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Mike3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:24 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I'm lucky to put 150 miles per month. All my driving is in town and short trips because i live in the middle of town, everything is only a few miles away. I think i'm still getting around 20mpg.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:32 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

That's not terrible most of my driving will be inner city as well as long as I can get around 22 mpgs I'll be happy! Haha I usually average around 25-26mpgs but I also have the 2.73s

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Mike3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:13 PM   #24
Road Trip!
Regular

Nice ride! Congrats on grad, Ive got the fogs, same grille you have, my my car is blacked out all the way exept calipers, those are red. I was looking into californaia special wheels too but found some staggered 20" boss 338s and plastic dipped them all the way! Cars looks very nice, i have the 3.31 gears from ford and they arent bad at all but like everyone the 3.73 go hard! Some black wheels would look awsome on your ride

ATTACH]174998[/ATTACH]

Ride or die!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1423267659.694647.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	174998  
efrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:14 PM   #25
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by efrain View Post
Nice ride! Congrats on grad, Ive got the fogs, same grille you have, my my car is blacked out all the way exept calipers, those are red. I was looking into californaia special wheels too but found some staggered 20" boss 338s and plastic dipped them all the way! Cars looks very nice, i have the 3.31 gears from ford and they arent bad at all but like everyone the 3.73 go hard! Some black wheels would look awsome on your ride

ATTACH]174998[/ATTACH]

Ride or die!

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1423268070.760046.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	174999

Ride or die!
Old 02-06-2015, 08:13 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
What exactly does an aluminum driveshaft do that you could even tell it's there? That's a pricey mod that I don't understand.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:20 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by efrain View Post
Attachment 174999

Ride or die!

Nice looking car. Love those wheels! I do think I'm leaning now toward getting wheels and tires to pretty much complete my appearance mods. Then maybe next mods will be gears and tune.

Plus the wife said I should just get the wheels before the gears too. And we all know happy wife, happy life! Lol

Old 02-06-2015, 08:24 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
What exactly does an aluminum driveshaft do that you could even tell it's there? That's a pricey mod that I don't understand.
From what I've read on here, unless your going to the track or driving above 140 mph nothing. So for the casual everyday driver its a worthless mod. Oh yeah, it will get rid of that clunk you hear every once in a while that people talk about. Haven't experienced that yet but I only have 6,500 miles on my car.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:25 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nice looking car. Love those wheels! I do think I'm leaning now toward getting wheels and tires to pretty much complete my appearance mods. Then maybe next mods will be gears and tune.

Plus the wife said I should just get the wheels before the gears too. And we all know happy wife, happy life! Lol

Smart man, I wouldn't argue with her. Sounds like she knows what she's talking about.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:32 PM   #30
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:

Yea a tune is whats next for me, i cant wait to see what its like once in my car. Wheels make a huge difference, have gotten compliments everywhere i go i have no regrets on it

Ride or die!
Old 02-06-2015, 09:09 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooolbreeez View Post
Smart man, I wouldn't argue with her. Sounds like she knows what she's talking about.

Yup, if the wife says I have to get new wheels and tires, who am I to argue!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang