Well, I did it-sure did. & happy I did. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-29-2015, 08:55 PM   #1
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Well, I did it-sure did. & happy I did.

Got my aluminum drive shaft today. I've been wanting one and I stopped by Brothers speed shop in Deland Fl. on my way back from the VA hospital in Orlando. I made the mistake of asking about an aluminum driveshaft for my 2012 3.7 V6 automatic. They had one in stock and would install it while I waited. I have been wanting one for a long time so I just went ahead and did it.
The big thing I noticed was my Mustang just seemed to have a little better response when going from around 55 to 70 MPH. I also notice I get absolutely no vibration when slowing down.
I was amazed how much heavier the stock driveshaft was compared to the Axle Exchange aluminum one.
I'm sure I really did not need this item, But I'm sure happy I got it.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2015, 09:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Thanks for the humble info. If by any chance at all you get the crazy idea to go above 120 mph for an extended period of time, at least you won't have to worry about losing your driveshaft, haha.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:52 AM   #3
Kevin.Cook

Keep track of your average MPGs and let us know if anything changes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2015, 06:35 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Thanks for the humble info. If by any chance at all you get the crazy idea to go above 120 mph for an extended period of time, at least you won't have to worry about losing your driveshaft, haha.
I believe he's not tuned, and is running the stock gearing so that won't be happening. The stock DS is fine while the car is still governed and the gears are still stock. Usually this mod is done when someone is tuned with the governor removed or with gears and plans on tracking their car.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:48 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I've seen a few threads lately concerning ds failure, this is a great investment toward the future mods.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:14 AM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I just got it because I wanted it.

Unless I'm invited by my old club for a free track day I'll probable never see over about 100.
I will get a tuner but after I can talk myself into gears.
I have been averaging 24 to 26 around town without trying to get the best MPG. I don't like to worry about MPG so I just drive like the mood and Music make me. I will let you know if I do notice a difference but I don't think that is going to happen. If it does go up or down I will be surprised.
The only difference I see is it seems just a tad more responsive and the vibration is totally gone when I slow down.
I'm happy I got it and it is like any other mod if your not racing or tracking. One of those things you don't need but want.
Ronnie
Old 01-30-2015, 08:30 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
How much did it run you if you don't mind me asking been kicking around the idea of getting one also lol

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Deadreckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:34 AM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Texas
Ronnie, where did you get the visor stickers?
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:35 AM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

The cost was a little stiff

The Driveshaft was $649 and $75.00 to install it. I just can't get under the car anymore. A few years ago I would have installed it myself.

I got the visor stickers from www.bobwhiteford.com They will choke your chicken when you see the cost on these. Well worth the price to me because now I don't have to look at the stupid ugly yellow warning crap on my sun visors.

Ronnie

When I was young I was once very wealthy. I spent a lot of money on the females, I also spent a lot on drinking and a ton of money on CARS. As well as Drag racing and tracking.
The rest of my money -I just wasted !!!
Old 01-30-2015, 01:28 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Happy you got your driveshaft Ronnie . The first thing i noticed when i installed mine (Axle Exchange also) was how quiet and smooth it was compaired to the factory one.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:31 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I do notice the smoothness mostly:::

When I let off the gas to slow to a stop. I have only been on one highway and that was the day driving home after the install. Of course it felt good then because new stuff always feels good Ha ! Ha !
Mine is also from the Axle Exchange.
Ronnie
Old 01-30-2015, 07:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Ronnie glad you have what I can't have ! For now....I would love to have the new DS

Airaid Bama tune/Hood strut/MBRP axel back
Dcauchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:24 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
oh yeah defi glad I did mine axle exchange as well, I still have a slight vibration when slowing down in 3rd but no where near what it was before and I know its just the clutch.
Lan_Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:41 PM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

My vibration went 100% away.

I have an automatic and at times I had a vibration when dropping gears while slowing down. Not all the time but enough to be annoying. Now I can't feel any vibration at all.
Ronnie
Old 02-01-2015, 06:41 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I haven't read or heard anything bad about 'Axle Exchange' driveshafts. 'Some' of the other driveshaft makers had a lot of recalls and design changes when they first started making driveshafts for our V6's. Just saying.....
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:18 AM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

This is what I was told by Brothers

They don't really stock the V6 driveshafts for the 2011 up because they had a hard time selling them for the older V6 Mustangs.
They made a large order from Ford Racing for the 2011 up GT's and the one I bought was in with the one's they ordered. I was just lucky I stopped by that day and asked.
I'm guessing that the Axle Exchange must make them for ford racing.
Finally, A mistake in my favor.
The quality is absolutely excellent and it bolted on perfect. I even got some Ford Racing stickers in the box. If I put one on my Mustang it will really be fast. Ha! Ha!
Ronnie

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang