Exhaust: break in, drone? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-31-2015, 11:23 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Exhaust: break in, drone?

Hi all,
just finished installing my Magnaflow Street axle backs on my automatic. Love the sound on the outside so far. Built quality is awesome, too. I did a lot of research to find the right exhaust, not too loud, minimal drone, no popping etc. On the inside I do notice some drone. It's not really bad but noticeable. First round I took it for a spin I was kinda worried. Second time felt somehow better. Maybe it is just me getting used to it compared to the stock exhaust which was dead silent or maybe the combo with the auto is not that great. However, I was also wondering if the sound gets quieter/more refined after the break in period or if they actually get louder. What do you think?
derklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2015, 11:40 AM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
as you know a lot of aftermarket V6 systems drone...fwiw I didn't notice my Bassani drone at first but there is a little which only occurs under load at 18-2000 or so. Mine were used so I only have heard (pun intended) that the sound will change with age.

I forgot to add with the Bassanis most of those who mentioned drone had autos...I wonder if us MT guys adapt and down/upshift
Old 01-31-2015, 12:17 PM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
It totally goes away in about 3 to 4 thousand miles

When the mufflers get nice and carbon lined you will see the slight drone you have with be gone. It does take a few miles but it happens.
I was lucky because I installed my Magnaflow streets and took off to Pennsylvania to the American Muscle show from Daytona the next day. By the time I got to South Carolina my mufflers sounded way deeper and better then I ever thought they could. No Drone at all. A nice deep rumble.
I now have about 16,000 miles on them and they sound perfect. They sound just like I want them to sound. Nice and deep and just loud enough to make driving enjoyable.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2015, 12:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Get on it for a few hundred miles. My Roush took forever to "break in" because I mostly do 70-76mph in 6th for 110 miles a day. They changed slowly almost not at all for 5k miles. Then I started giving it the business quite regularly(WOT 3rd and 4th from a rolling 65mph) and 500 miles later it's a whole new animal. Deep, rumbly, little to no drone, at 70mph on flat ground you can't even tell I've modified the exhaust.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you, guys! I will see how it goes with time. Driving about 200 miles tomorrow, that should help a little.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:18 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
I had the Mac axle backs. It droned when I got them and it droned when I took them off. I had a couple thousand miles on them. I couldn't deal with it.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Sound seems to settle in a bit (or maybe I am just getting used to it) but definately less drone after 250 miles. Wasn't expecting them to sound that deep, quite a rumble. A girl walked behind my car yesterday when I started it and she jumped, hehe
Old 02-04-2015, 06:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by derklink View Post
Sound seems to settle in a bit (or maybe I am just getting used to it) but definately less drone after 250 miles. Wasn't expecting them to sound that deep, quite a rumble. A girl walked behind my car yesterday when I started it and she jumped, hehe
They definitely take some time to break in... Mine didn't fully settle in till around 5k miles (including some spirited driving). Now there is zero drone, and it sounds even deeper than when I first put them on.

I hated the drone so much initially I put some sound deadening in the trunk to cut down on the noise. I've since removed all the sound deadening as its no longer necessary.

If you haven't done so already an aftermarket CAI really helps deepen the sound too.

Here's a video of mine:
Edd2016 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust