Weird feel when starting off, 6spd - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-04-2015, 05:48 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
really? see, I don't even know what clutch burning smells like. I've never had that smell before. hmm.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2015, 07:34 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
really? see, I don't even know what clutch burning smells like. I've never had that smell before. hmm.

Well, If you have ever handed over your baby to a car wash attendant and watched as they stalled 3 times trying to move your car, you know what burnt clutch smells like. Don't ask how I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Mods: Airaid CAI w/ Synthamax filter, 18" black AMR wheels
blackstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:35 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

lmao that's awful! haha. I drove to work this morning and didn't notice any of the chatter, but a few times with the heat on full blast I thought I noticed an odd smell. maybe burning? but like, i couldn't tell if it's outside or from the car itself. but the clutch this morning was fine. hmm

MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2015, 08:06 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
lmao that's awful! haha. I drove to work this morning and didn't notice any of the chatter, but a few times with the heat on full blast I thought I noticed an odd smell. maybe burning? but like, i couldn't tell if it's outside or from the car itself. but the clutch this morning was fine. hmm

Well, we'll see how my clutch feels when i leave. The burning smell could be from the heat because i never smelled it in the summer, all my problems so far have begun this winter.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:47 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Some clutches do that when they are brand new. You sometimes have to break in new clutches. NOt sure if that's what is going on here, but if it gets better as you rack up miles then that's what it was.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:09 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

hmm. today mine didn't do it at all, so I'm not sure what to make of it though. 10k miles is still considered a baby, but I never really noticed it until 10k

Old 02-04-2015, 11:31 AM   #42
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
not that ithelps with your problem, but IF you need a clutch consider replacing the dual mass flywheel when you're in there
Old 02-04-2015, 01:02 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
not that ithelps with your problem, but IF you need a clutch consider replacing the dual mass flywheel when you're in there

I sure hope I don't need a new clutch! I still have to pay the car off and I can't pay $2k out of pocket now.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Old 02-04-2015, 04:55 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

yeah i remember reading about the dual-mass flywheel, because when you let off the gas at like 2500 rpm, the car shutters like crazy. i remember seeing that and freaking out..googled it, and saw it happens bc of that flywheel.

so it'd cost 2 grand for the clutch and labor, huh? seems clutches themselves are under 800, so majority is labor? i never had a clutch replaced so idk what it costs.

today on the drive home, everything was ok. didn't notice the weird feeling at all, and i didn't see any crazy rpm jumps or anything. put it in like 4th and floored it, no rpm jumping
Old 02-04-2015, 05:54 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yeah i remember reading about the dual-mass flywheel, because when you let off the gas at like 2500 rpm, the car shutters like crazy. i remember seeing that and freaking out..googled it, and saw it happens bc of that flywheel.

so it'd cost 2 grand for the clutch and labor, huh? seems clutches themselves are under 800, so majority is labor? i never had a clutch replaced so idk what it costs.

today on the drive home, everything was ok. didn't notice the weird feeling at all, and i didn't see any crazy rpm jumps or anything. put it in like 4th and floored it, no rpm jumping
Haha, that's funny you mentioned that. On my way home i put it in 6th and applied ~70% throttle and it made a buzzing noise but no slipping.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:57 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

maybe the cold weather truly affected us?

Old 02-04-2015, 06:35 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
maybe the cold weather truly affected us?

It sounds crazy but ever since the first real snow we got, my clutch has been acting weird.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang