Weird feel when starting off, 6spd - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-02-2015, 07:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Weird feel when starting off, 6spd

out of nowhere, i kinda noticed that when the clutch is almost all the way up and I start to go, if i do it a certain way it feels kinda like bumpy. it's hard to explain. it's not like it's about to stall, but i cant say it feels like it's "slipping" because I've never had a bad clutch, and I'll be absolutely furious if my brand new 14 has a bad clutch when I've been driving stick for over 10 years, and my clutches have always been in perfect condition.

it kinda feels like a little rough when the pedal comes to the top. as if maybe the wheels were slipping or something. anyone see this before?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2015, 10:43 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Like a chatter feeling, just as the car starts to slowly move?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:12 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

it might be a chatter, but it doesn't feel super like vibraty. it's like, the best way to describe is that the tires are slipping. like as if there's ice under them, but it does it on dry road.

when i start off,my way I've done it for years was to lightly tap the gas a few times as I feather off the clutch. it's a nice slow start, and it doesn't ride at all. but sometimes if the light suddenly goes green and i'm not prepared, i just do the normal way of starting off, so when I do it like that and I notice I'm not giving it lots of gas, as the pedal reaches the top, there's a small spot where it feels like something is slipping, but like not the clutch itself. when i shift gears up and down i don't notice it, only notice it starting from a stop in 1st

MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2015, 01:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
it might be a chatter, but it doesn't feel super like vibraty. it's like, the best way to describe is that the tires are slipping. like as if there's ice under them, but it does it on dry road.

when i start off,my way I've done it for years was to lightly tap the gas a few times as I feather off the clutch. it's a nice slow start, and it doesn't ride at all. but sometimes if the light suddenly goes green and i'm not prepared, i just do the normal way of starting off, so when I do it like that and I notice I'm not giving it lots of gas, as the pedal reaches the top, there's a small spot where it feels like something is slipping, but like not the clutch itself. when i shift gears up and down i don't notice it, only notice it starting from a stop in 1st

I noticed the same feeling a few days ago!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Mods: Airaid CAI w/ Synthamax filter, 18" black AMR wheels
blackstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:40 PM   #5
Kevin.Cook

What are your RPMs looking like when you are taking off that way vs normally?
Old 02-02-2015, 05:34 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

the RPM's looked normal. it seemed fine. it just seemed as if as i'm taking off, there's a short tiny amount of wheel spin, when there's not. i turned traction control off and it still did it, but i didn't turn advance track off.

on the way home in the snow/ice, it didn't do it, but i was taking my time and going slow.

blackstang1, you noticed the same thing? what does yours feel like? it just feels like something is slipping right? but it's only in 1st, taking off from a stop, when the clutch is almost all the way up, like right on the tail end of it disengaging. (or engaging, whichever is when the pedal is up and in gear lol)
Old 02-02-2015, 06:00 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
the RPM's looked normal. it seemed fine. it just seemed as if as i'm taking off, there's a short tiny amount of wheel spin, when there's not. i turned traction control off and it still did it, but i didn't turn advance track off.

on the way home in the snow/ice, it didn't do it, but i was taking my time and going slow.

blackstang1, you noticed the same thing? what does yours feel like? it just feels like something is slipping right? but it's only in 1st, taking off from a stop, when the clutch is almost all the way up, like right on the tail end of it disengaging. (or engaging, whichever is when the pedal is up and in gear lol)
I notice the same thing. It almost feels like sometimes I'm on some loose gravel. Doesn't happen all the time and only from a dead stop. I call it chatter.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:14 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes, actually yesterday was the first time I felt it. When starting off in 1st (on dry clean pavement) a moment before the clutch engages (near top of pedal travel) it feels like it's slipping/chattering/wheels are spinning. At first I thought it was me giving it too much gas with almost an empty tank of fuel and spinning the tires (I haven't let my car drop below half a tank in a long while) but it happened every time I started and my wheels weren't spinning. Today I didn't notice it at all though...

Old 02-02-2015, 06:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstang1 View Post
Yes, actually yesterday was the first time I felt it. When starting off in 1st (on dry clean pavement) a moment before the clutch engages (near top of pedal travel) it feels like it's slipping/chattering/wheels are spinning. At first I thought it was me giving it too much gas with almost an empty tank of fuel and spinning the tires (I haven't let my car drop below half a tank in a long while) but it happened every time I started and my wheels weren't spinning. Today I didn't notice it at all though...

wtf man hahaha...i noticed it this morning going to work in the rain a bit, and saturday night on the dry pavement. going home from work in the snow i didn't notice it. my gas is on a full tank too.

your feeling is identical to what mine is. what the hell is going on here lol
Old 02-02-2015, 06:27 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Mine does that, but I have 50k miles..my diesel work truck started doing it to and I replaced the clutch and pressure plate and it was fixed. The pressure plate seemed like it had worn out the spring back, granted that had over 100k on it. No reason a fairly new car would have that issue

gqsmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:33 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
I notice the same thing. It almost feels like sometimes I'm on some loose gravel. Doesn't happen all the time and only from a dead stop. I call it chatter.

how many miles do you have? do you think it's a bad clutch/pressure plate or anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqsmash View Post
Mine does that, but I have 50k miles..my diesel work truck started doing it to and I replaced the clutch and pressure plate and it was fixed. The pressure plate seemed like it had worn out the spring back, granted that had over 100k on it. No reason a fairly new car would have that issue

yeah, i just hit 10k miles. i'm at almost 10,500. unless the prior owner really ruined this clutch and didn't know how to drive it, i'm at a loss for how it could potentially be bad already. i know how to drive stick and i've never ridden the clutch, and all of my shifts are nice and smooth. i don't think it could possibly be how i drive it, but like i said, the car had 1 prior owner who got it brand new in may of '13 and had it until march '14 and i bought it in april '14. so unless the prior owner/dealer i got it from ruined it, i have no idea why or how this happened.

then again, i have no idea why my hood paint started bubbling on a brand new car, or why there's water sloshing around between panels on a brand new car.

this is my first ford, and i can tell you that if my clutch is really going at only 10k miles, i think i've gotta seriously reconsider what the future holds for me with this bad boy. my first truck was a '91 nissan pickup, 254,000 miles when we sold it, original clutch and it had 4 different drivers since '91. my second truck was an '01 frontier with 198,000 miles when we sold it, and it was the original clutch too, with only 2 different drivers. i find it hard to beleive that a '14 mustang with 10k miles could have a bad clutch already.

also in researching clutch chatter, it seems like chatter is pretty damn violent and seems to shake the entire car like crazy. mine doesn't seem to be anywhere near what examples i'm seeing are...
Old 02-02-2015, 06:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
how many miles do you have? do you think it's a bad clutch/pressure plate or anything?

yeah, i just hit 10k miles. i'm at almost 10,500. unless the prior owner really ruined this clutch and didn't know how to drive it, i'm at a loss for how it could potentially be bad already. i know how to drive stick and i've never ridden the clutch, and all of my shifts are nice and smooth. i don't think it could possibly be how i drive it, but like i said, the car had 1 prior owner who got it brand new in may of '13 and had it until march '14 and i bought it in april '14. so unless the prior owner/dealer i got it from ruined it, i have no idea why or how this happened.

then again, i have no idea why my hood paint started bubbling on a brand new car, or why there's water sloshing around between panels on a brand new car.

this is my first ford, and i can tell you that if my clutch is really going at only 10k miles, i think i've gotta seriously reconsider what the future holds for me with this bad boy. my first truck was a '91 nissan pickup, 254,000 miles when we sold it, original clutch and it had 4 different drivers since '91. my second truck was an '01 frontier with 198,000 miles when we sold it, and it was the original clutch too, with only 2 different drivers. i find it hard to beleive that a '14 mustang with 10k miles could have a bad clutch already.

also in researching clutch chatter, it seems like chatter is pretty damn violent and seems to shake the entire car like crazy. mine doesn't seem to be anywhere near what examples i'm seeing are...
22000 kms on her. I believe its clutch/pressure plate related and will be going to the dealer mid march after winter. My clutch is under warranty for 5 years/100k so why not.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
22000 kms on her. I believe its clutch/pressure plate related and will be going to the dealer mid march after winter. My clutch is under warranty for 5 years/100k so why not.

wait, i thought the clutch isn't a part of the warranty? i read through it and from what i remember they say that clutch can be driver error etc so they won't cover any problems with it.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:52 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
wait, i thought the clutch isn't a part of the warranty? i read through it and from what i remember they say that clutch can be driver error etc so they won't cover any problems with it.
I purchased a ford maintenance protection plan that covers all my maintenance service intervals along with 8 wearable items such as brake pads/ rotors,clutch wipers engine belts/hoses light bulbs even wiper blades with 0 deductible for 5 years 100k.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:55 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1422924826680.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	174758   Click image for larger version

Name:	1422924896783.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	174759  

Old 02-02-2015, 06:59 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I got this plan on both my stang and wife's fusion. For 5 years/100k we just have to put gas in lol. Its a great service, my wife's fusion goes in this week for an oil change and to get new wipers.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:13 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

ahh damn. i didn't get any of that since I got it used and from a Chrysler dealer. lol
Old 02-02-2015, 09:59 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I just passed 16,000 miles. I am the original owner (purchased it with 10 miles on the odometer). I have been driving stick shift since i was 15 years old and my previous car was stick. I always have smooth engagement but also have some fun during the summer months. Also, i do about 80% city driving (a lot of stop and go traffic at an average speed of about 15mph daily). I had a feeling my clutch would deplete quicker than normal but i never thought that it would be before 50K miles. I would be pretty disappointed if my clutch went out now.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:31 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

same story here. my driving is all city. I don't commute Highway miles or anything. my last two trucks, majority of milage was Highway as my dad had them before me and commuted daily on the Parkway. when i got them, I did pretty much all city driving, and some Highway with going to college and whatnot. I'm in the same boat as you.. i've been driving stick since 16. I don't do a lot of stop and go though. just basic driving around town. I really hope for our sake it's just something wacky with the weather or something.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:06 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
same story here. my driving is all city. I don't commute Highway miles or anything. my last two trucks, majority of milage was Highway as my dad had them before me and commuted daily on the Parkway. when i got them, I did pretty much all city driving, and some Highway with going to college and whatnot. I'm in the same boat as you.. i've been driving stick since 16. I don't do a lot of stop and go though. just basic driving around town. I really hope for our sake it's just something wacky with the weather or something.

Has it been cold where you are? All the problems I seem to have been having has been a result of the snow/cold.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:49 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

yeah it has been like under 30 here lately. hmm

Old 02-03-2015, 03:01 PM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
apparently -The Original owner glazed the clutch

People buy a stick and have no clue on how to treat the clutch. They slip it all the time, They use the clutch pedal to rest their foot on while driving.

If you just got the Mustang from a Chrysler dealer you should talk to them and see if they can help you out. About the only way this problem occurred is due to abuse over a long time.

It sounds like a glazed clutch or pressure plate.
Stuff like this has nothing to do with the make of the car. It is driver abuse and not knowing how to drive a stick.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:54 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
People buy a stick and have no clue on how to treat the clutch. They slip it all the time, They use the clutch pedal to rest their foot on while driving.

If you just got the Mustang from a Chrysler dealer you should talk to them and see if they can help you out. About the only way this problem occurred is due to abuse over a long time.

Stuff like this has nothing to do with the make of the car. It is driver abuse and not knowing how to drive a stick.
Ronnie
I thinking in my case its exactly that, a glazed clutch. This is my first manual so its kinda expected lol. Its really not bad at all though.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:56 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yeah it has been like under 30 here lately. hmm

My chatter has gone away so far but i noticed today that the clutch catch point is all the way at the top of the pedal travel. I don't remember well but i believe that when i got it, it engaged somewhere near the middle. Where is yours engaging?

Old 02-03-2015, 05:07 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstang1 View Post
My chatter has gone away so far but i noticed today that the clutch catch point is all the way at the top of the pedal travel. I don't remember well but i believe that when i got it, it engaged somewhere near the middle. Where is yours engaging?
i never really thought about it, but mine engages more towards the top, but i think it always did.

also, as far as going back to the dealer i got it from, that's a no-go. since they had a warranty through ford, they offered absolutley nothing on top of it. everything from the second i bought it had to go through ford. i've got no reason to talk to them or anything seeing as that was pretty much part of the agreement, which i feel is reasonable, seeing as its a brand new car with a new car warranty. if it was out of warranty, then yeah they would have done like a 90 day thing or something. i bought it in april of 2014, so i've had it almost a full year now...so i pretty much have no grounds to go back to them anyway lol

either way, it's not like clutch is ever covered by warranty, so i'd have to pay out the *** to replace it, so i'm going to just keep driving it and see if it goes away. if not, then i'll bring it somewhere and they can put that little camera inside without having to take it apart to check out whats going on.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:10 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post

Ronnie
ugh i can't imagine someone resting their foot on the clutch. like, that just hurts my brain. like people who ride the brakes in an automatic. god, why can't people learn how to properly drive? lol
Old 02-03-2015, 05:45 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i never really thought about it, but mine engages more towards the top, but i think it always did.

also, as far as going back to the dealer i got it from, that's a no-go. since they had a warranty through ford, they offered absolutley nothing on top of it. everything from the second i bought it had to go through ford. i've got no reason to talk to them or anything seeing as that was pretty much part of the agreement, which i feel is reasonable, seeing as its a brand new car with a new car warranty. if it was out of warranty, then yeah they would have done like a 90 day thing or something. i bought it in april of 2014, so i've had it almost a full year now...so i pretty much have no grounds to go back to them anyway lol

either way, it's not like clutch is ever covered by warranty, so i'd have to pay out the *** to replace it, so i'm going to just keep driving it and see if it goes away. if not, then i'll bring it somewhere and they can put that little camera inside without having to take it apart to check out whats going on.
Interesting little bit i found on Late Model Restoration...

"Mustangs with 2.73 or 3.08 rear gears will experience a mild degree of chatter during certain driving conditions, period, unless a very forgiving OE type replacement clutch is utilized. This is a good excuse to get new gears!"

Source: Mustang Clutch Problems & Solutions

Old 02-03-2015, 06:59 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

so wait, what do the rear gears have to do with the clutch chatter? and what are the conditions they speak of?

Old 02-03-2015, 07:25 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You might want to find more info about your warranty that the car has from the original owner, he might have had the same ford protection maintenance plan that I have that also covers wearable parts like clutch, brakes ect and is transferable to the next owner. You never know. If that's the case ALL scheduled maintenance is also included for x amount of miles/years.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:53 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

when i was at Ford to schedule my hood repaint, she said I just had the basic warranty and it's up next April.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:02 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

: (

Old 02-03-2015, 08:04 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

from what blackstang says though from that article, maybe that's all I'm noticing, ya know?

Old 02-03-2015, 08:53 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
from what blackstang says though from that article, maybe that's all I'm noticing, ya know?

I think its due to the greater amount of torque that the engine must produce to turn a larger gear ratio compared to a smaller one. In my mind, it would work the same way as if you don't give the car enough gas to get it moving and the car shudders a bit. I'm not expert, though.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:09 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

maybe that's it then. I'll have to do some tests. I've been known in my old truck to not give enough gas off the line and get horrible engine knock, bc i was always paranoid about riding the clutch lol but i never get that in the Mustang. maybe this is equivalent. maybe I just wasn't gassing enough?

Old 02-03-2015, 09:24 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
maybe that's it then. I'll have to do some tests. I've been known in my old truck to not give enough gas off the line and get horrible engine knock, bc i was always paranoid about riding the clutch lol but i never get that in the Mustang. maybe this is equivalent. maybe I just wasn't gassing enough?

Well now i am not so worried about the chatter as i am with the high clutch takeup. Also, i was driving on Sunday during the big snow storm we had and was driving normally, i was slipping a bit on starting from a stop (which is to be expected with 4+ inches of snow), and i noticed that when i pulled into my garage i smelled clutch burning from the car. Today i tried to smell the same thing and when i smelled very close to the grill, i can smell a faint burning smell still. It's making me very nervous.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang