SR Short Shifter/Bracket Review - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-04-2015, 12:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
SR Short Shifter/Bracket Review

This is a review for the SR brand short shifter (not any other brand). After less than a few hundred miles, I finally decided to remove the recently installed SR short shifter (I kept the bracket) in-place, and replace it with the stock shifter. So much smoother and lighter.
The SR shifter was rough, grindy, loud, and not very friendly when it came to engaging 1-2 gear or between 1st and reverse. I would constantly shift into 2nd and the gear wouldn't engage. I am not sure if it was because my timing was off or what, but I felt I would surely damage the transmission components over time.

So for those of you looking to buy one of these because of the low, affordable price, please do your research.

Other quick review:
BBK Shorty Headers: best bang for your buck mod, pleasantly suprised
Flowmaster exhaust: sounds great, not as raspy when in combination with the shorty headers
JLT CAI: looks nice (that's about it)
Bama tunes: I'd have to say I'm disappointed with the product itself. The service is fine, but why promote TUNING for all of the above mentioned mods (excluding shifter), when all of these mods are NO tune required. I feel like I really got duped into this one. As I already drive a manual transmission, I feel the tuners are geared more towards automatic transmissions.
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2015, 01:52 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Thank you for the Review!!!!
Coming to tuner I think when we change out intake and exhaust components we do need a tune to make sure AF ratio are good. I am new to this, So please correct me if I am wrong. I have a tune on my V6 Manual. And it really adds up to the mods.
AirAidCIA | BAMA 87P Tune | BoralAtak AB| BMRAdj UCA | BMR UCA Mnt | BMRAdj PHB | GCCoilOvers | DSS 1 Piece AL Driveshaft | BMRLCA | BMR LCA Reloc Brackets | BARTONShifter | GT CS Spoiler| RedLine Hood struts | MMD Axim 20X8.5 Audio: Dynamatted Rear & Doors | AudioControl LC8i | Speakers: Infinity 682.9cf | RockFord Prime R250X4 Amp | Rockford Prime 500.1 Mono AMP | Kicker Twin10" L5 Solo Barics in a Ported BOX |P.S MORE TO COMEEEEE!!!!
Firstang001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:55 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Sometimes the saying is true..you get what you pay for. Try the Barton. I love it. Its notchy but I like that feel. It makes you feel confident when driving hard. Ive never had an issue with missing gears or even downshifting. Its a great unit.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2015, 08:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
If anyone is going to do a shifter swap just spend the $$$ and go with MGW and call it a day.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:05 AM   #5
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoritaNAY View Post
This is a review for the SR brand short shifter (not any other brand). After less than a few hundred miles, I finally decided to remove the recently installed SR short shifter (I kept the bracket) in-place, and replace it with the stock shifter. So much smoother and lighter.
The SR shifter was rough, grindy, loud, and not very friendly when it came to engaging 1-2 gear or between 1st and reverse. I would constantly shift into 2nd and the gear wouldn't engage. I am not sure if it was because my timing was off or what, but I felt I would surely damage the transmission components over time.

So for those of you looking to buy one of these because of the low, affordable price, please do your research.

Other quick review:
BBK Shorty Headers: best bang for your buck mod, pleasantly suprised
Flowmaster exhaust: sounds great, not as raspy when in combination with the shorty headers
JLT CAI: looks nice (that's about it)

Bama tunes: I'd have to say I'm disappointed with the product itself. The service is fine, but why promote TUNING for all of the above mentioned mods (excluding shifter), when all of these mods are NO tune required. I feel like I really got duped into this one. As I already drive a manual transmission, I feel the tuners are geared more towards automatic transmissions.

ElkoritaNAY,

Thanks for taking time to have your review posted up. We rely heavily on our forums members for offsite feedback and I really appreciate it! I’m not used to seeing this negative feedback on the product you’re speaking of but it definitely helps. This will allow us to work with the manufacture and improve the products we offer! I’ve already sent this over to the manufacture and they’ll take a closer look into this.

I'm really sorry to hear about the trouble you had with the SR Shifter and I'm not entirely sure what caused the issues you were experiencing. I'm more than happy to have it replaced for you if you would like along with issuing a 100% refund for it. as well. If you' like to have that set up just shoot me a PM and I'll track the order down and do the rest.

We've had the SR Short Throw installed on our shop 2014 GT and its definitely been put through its paces by myself and I can attest to the fact that it's definitely notchy shifting being run through the gears as you'll find with other shifters but the grinding/noise makes me question the install. Did you happen to have this looked at with anyone else just to get a better idea?

In the event that you want to have a refund set up we're happy to do so to get you into a Barton unit as I want to ensure that you're happy with your parts and service from us!

I'm very sorry to you're not happy with your tune at the moment as well! Have you let the Bama Team Datalog this for you? In regards to the comment above that Bama "Promotes Tuning for the above mentioned" the BBK Shorty headers do not require a tune as well as the Flowmaster but the Bama team would still want to know as they can optimize the tune for you given the mods installed on the car.You’re going to notice gains in power, torque, drive-ability, gas mileage, throttle response and much more even on a bone stock Manual transmission Mustang. The mods that you’re currently running do not require a tune and I don’t believe Bama promotes tuning for those specific mods and more so for your Mustang.

We’re happy to help and will do whatever it takes to make sure you’re enjoying your products and experience with us. Let me know how I can help and I'll get you set up!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I just want to say "Thanks American Muscle" for standing behind your products. I am sure that it is great advertising for you guys when you speak out on the forums and I will tell you it is working. Each time I see you step up and help someone I make a mental note which will influence my future buying experience.

Thanks
Scotty in Seattle
2013 Roush Stage 3 #13-0970, Roush Phase 3 675 HP upgrade. Dynotech 3 1/2 inch Aluminum Driveshaft, Stifflers Driveshaft Safety Loop, JLT Oil Separator, Track Package, X Brace Rear Seat Delete, Roush 20" Hyper Black Wheels, Roush trunk tool kit
Scotty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
+1 Scotty_1 I agree with you 100%

+∞ Alex - thats why I'm so loyal to you guys.
Coyote2820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:58 PM   #8

Region: Tennessee
I installed mine last week, only issue I have had is the lockout feature doesn't work. Can you tell a difference in only changing the bracket? I changed both shifter and bracket and I want to say its better only because I spent money on it, but I know in my heart the shifter is garbage
SR Performance Short Shifter Bracket
93 Octane Bama Race Tune - SX4 Tuner
Scott Drake Single Adj. LCAs
kyleinamustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleinamustang View Post
I installed mine last week, only issue I have had is the lockout feature doesn't work. Can you tell a difference in only changing the bracket? I changed both shifter and bracket and I want to say its better only because I spent money on it, but I know in my heart the shifter is garbage

I kept the bracket just under the impression that since its aftermarket it should be better than stock. Only difference is a lot more road noise. That's about it. I think the 2nd to 3rd misshift goes away too.

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 02-24-2015, 05:50 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
I kept the bracket just under the impression that since its aftermarket it should be better than stock. Only difference is a lot more road noise. That's about it. I think the 2nd to 3rd misshift goes away too.

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
The bracket is the real problem with our shifter, not the shifter itself. Good call by holding onto the new bracket, it did wonders for my car!
If I ever do change out the stock shifter it will only be with a MGW.

FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:59 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
The bracket is the real problem with our shifter, not the shifter itself. Good call by holding onto the new bracket, it did wonders for my car!
If I ever do change out the stock shifter it will only be with a MGW.

I liked the MGW but I'm not sure it's worth the money. I went with the Barton and I love it. It has a very positive feel to it, it just goes into the gear you want it to.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:01 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
I liked the MGW but I'm not sure it's worth the money. I went with the Barton and I love it. It has a very positive feel to it, it just goes into the gear you want it to.

Seems I can't work short shifters... I can't engage 2nd gear when I want It too

Old 02-25-2015, 10:43 AM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Seems I can't work short shifters... I can't engage 2nd gear when I want It too

Trust me, try the Barton.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:10 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I have a barton on my short list. I miss a few 2-3rds and it's disheartening...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang