Tune question for guys with a manual car... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-04-2015, 02:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Tune question for guys with a manual car...

Hi guys, long time lurker, first time poster.

So I wasn't planning on tuning my 2014 base coupe (the whole warranty issue), but then I came across this post on the forum here by Sanguin:

The only practical reason I want a tune, and something that bothers me daily, is the friggin throttle hang when I shift. The car thinks I should casually shift and is slow to drop RPMs (emissions feature!). I'm constantly shifting faster than it drops, even during casual driving, let alone WOT runs. I feel sorry for the poor clutch disc and synchros.

I too REALLY hate the throttle hang when I shift... even after putting 10k miles on my car I still can't make a trip without messing up a few shifts. Especially if I want to do any spirited driving.

Can anybody confirm a tune actually fixes this issue with manual transmissions?

Thanks,

-Ed
Edd2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2015, 03:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Steeda tune did not resolve this for me. Not sure about the other tuners.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:46 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Ive heard that you can request for this to be changed. I remember reading that our stock deceleration rate is very low but can be ramped up for faster and quicker deceleration. I would love to have that as well. I hate letting off the gas - waiting a second - and then have the car decel.
superblur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2015, 05:58 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
Steeda tune did not resolve this for me. Not sure about the other tuners.
Damn... that's too bad.

I talked to American Muscle earlier and they claimed their tunes address this, but I'd like to hear from somebody unbiased.

Can anybody with a BAMA tune (or any of the other tunes) chime in on their experience?
Old 02-04-2015, 07:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
My Bama tunes did not fix it. As a mater of fact, my custom turbo tune did not fix it either.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
JCALD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:21 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCALD View Post
My Bama tunes did not fix it. As a mater of fact, my custom turbo tune did not fix it either.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Wow... That's not was I was hoping to hear... but thanks anyways. You just saved me $400 and my warranty.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:26 PM   #7
rob.james.arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd2016 View Post
Wow... That's not was I was hoping to hear... but thanks anyways. You just saved me $400 and my warranty.
I'm really sorry to hear that everyone got a tune that did not resolve this. I have a tune from Redliners and that was one of the first things I asked about. The tune I got originally was for a completely bone stock 3.7. The difference in throttle response, lag was immediately noticeable. I didn't know this was a thing that tunes didn't fix. It almost seems illogical to get a tune that wouldn't address this as it was my main complaint about my mustang.

The lead programmer was formerly with Bama and helped develop the platform they use today if I understand correctly. The pricing was far more competitive than the other choices. I gave them a shot on a whim and have had not regretted it yet.

Perhaps you should reach out to them to see what they have to say. I posted a link below to their website.

Redliners
Old 02-05-2015, 12:26 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I have a bama tune and don't have this problem as far as I know, but I'll check again on the way home.

Sent from my Mustang.
iantrusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:54 AM   #9
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
+1 on thinking the hang time is way to long
Old 02-05-2015, 08:05 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.james.arias View Post
I'm really sorry to hear that everyone got a tune that did not resolve this. I have a tune from Redliners and that was one of the first things I asked about. The tune I got originally was for a completely bone stock 3.7. The difference in throttle response, lag was immediately noticeable. I didn't know this was a thing that tunes didn't fix. It almost seems illogical to get a tune that wouldn't address this as it was my main complaint about my mustang.

The lead programmer was formerly with Bama and helped develop the platform they use today if I understand correctly. The pricing was far more competitive than the other choices. I gave them a shot on a whim and have had not regretted it yet.

Perhaps you should reach out to them to see what they have to say. I posted a link below to their website.

Redliners
how is their tune compared to mpt?
-SOLD-13.246s@107.81 RaceRed 2013 v6 Mustang, 3.73 gears, MPT 91Race Tune, Axle-Back Straight Pipe, Tower Brace, BMR LCA's, BBK Shorty Headers, BMR Relocation Brackets, Lethal Performance X-Pipe Catless.
-2008 Civic SI...
RaceRed3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:47 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

So I tried to figure what you guys are talking about, and have no idea. The RPM gauge stays up for a second after I shift, but I shift pretty fast and never feel the need to delay my shift. Plus I can hear the engine fall down to idle immediately. Does it only happen under high rpm conditions/WOT?

Sent from my Mustang.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:38 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
It seems more noticeable at higher rpm. It is partly due to the flywheel, but I believe it is primarily due to emissions control and I don't think it is something that the tuners can change. A lighter flywheel would make a big difference and is one thing to consider when changing out your clutch.
JCALD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:06 PM   #13
rob.james.arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceRed3.7 View Post
how is their tune compared to mpt?
I have never purchased a MPT tune so I can not answer that for you unfortunately. Though I will say I have only heard great things about them.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:13 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iantrusive View Post
So I tried to figure what you guys are talking about, and have no idea. The RPM gauge stays up for a second after I shift, but I shift pretty fast and never feel the need to delay my shift. Plus I can hear the engine fall down to idle immediately. Does it only happen under high rpm conditions/WOT?
Sent from my Mustang.
My last two cars were corvettes so I may be biased a bit in terms of what normal shifting speeds should be... but with my mustang when I shift I'm always shifting too fast for the car (i.e., the RPMs are never at the right spot for me to let the clutch out). I have to purposely shift slow to make "good/smooth" shifts. Which is fine if I'm just cruising, but if I want to go fast it complicates things.

When I shift fast there's a clunk sound or the syncros have to work hard to lower the RPM's to the correct spot. Its especially bad at WOT. Sometimes I swear the RPM's don't move at all or even increase.

I usually end up over compensating (going extra slow) and the RPM's are too low when I let the clutch out.

I've driven quite a few manual cars over the years and never had this issue.

Does that make any sense? I'm no mechanic.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:53 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I think I get what you're saying, if I get a chance, I'll go WOT and check to see if I have to delay. If not then idk. Maybe I shift slower than I thought lol.

Sent from my Mustang.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:54 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

So I got a chance to go WOT 1st to 2nd and yea there is a tiny delay if you're trying to shift quick. Only after like 6k RPM. Doesn't bother me much, but I see where that would get annoying.

Sent from my Mustang.

---------- Post added at 04:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 AM ----------

Btw I have 3.55 gears, not sure if that matters.

Sent from my Mustang.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:18 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I was gonna say I've seen short short hang, but i never noticed bc i never really shift super high rpms. I do when I'm having fun sometimes, but i notice even slamming it into gear, you really don't even have to be good at shifting lol it does it so smoothly. when i literally just floor it, let off gas, clutch, shift, pop off clutch and floor it again, it somehow shifts incredibly smooth. either I'm really good with my quick shift timing, or the car is just able to smoothly shift at high rpms.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:05 AM   #18
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I find it more of a problem when I am done accelerating and go into my cruising gear...the rpms do not drop on their own.

annoyance not major problem
Old 02-08-2015, 09:49 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Throttle response (or the complete lack there of) has been one of my biggest pet peeves with both the 3.7 and the 5.0. I understand that a 3300-3600 pound, cheap muscle car will never be as responsive as the open wheel, single seaters that I am used to, but these are quite sluggish. A significant portion of the issue is the method that the factory powertrain controller uses to determine what the driver actually wants. Target torque tables are a great thing for the vast majority of people who buy these cars, as they are mostly unconcerned with performance, and could dig themselves a very deep hole with the power on tap if these calculated throttle plate angle, spark advance, and fuel timing/ pulse width immediately from the pedal position, as opposed to the "safe" target torque tables. I have heard some great things about responsiveness gains from ditching the factory PCM and going with an AEM Infinity with the Ford Controls pack...
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang