Installed my Borla ATAK's today! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-08-2015, 05:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Installed my Borla ATAK's today!

so i'm not mechanical at all, and even though since I was little I was always super into muscle cars (spewing out numbers and stats etc), I never really worked on cars, but with the mustang being my first cool sports/muscle car, i finally am! who knows to what extent, but exhaust is a start.

all in all, for my first time doing it, it wasn't too bad. took only about 2 hours. used ramps instead of jackstands, but i'm a pretty big guy so even getting under there with ramps was a pain in the *** lol

the passengers side clamp was fine, came off easily, but dealing with those 2 front hangers is a pain! got it off though, and then I drilled the weep holes into my ATAK's, and i put the passengers side on. (i broke 1 drill bit trying this, but the second one seemed to work. used a little awl to hammer a small dimple into the metal to make the bit go in easier, and it seemed to work out fine)

was hard to get it to fit perfectly, but i used a little hose clamp on the rear hanger bc it kept moving around and it would make it hit the side of the valence.

ugh, the drivers side though....idk how the hell one side could be rusted so much more than the other! the screw and threads were rusted to all hell, barely even silver unlike the passengers side. took forever, even after soaking in PB Blaster for an hour, but it eventually came undone...funny thing is, putting the Borla on the drivers side was 10x easier than the passengers side. lol go figure.

huge thanks to VIG for hooking me up with these! his friend sold them used, and VIG drove out to meet up with me here in NJ for the sale. this dude rocks, and helped me along the way when i got snagged up on a few spots. thanks man!!

either way, got them on, centered them up, and damn it sounds awesome. love it! here's some shots and vids (sorry, she's a bit salty from the recent snow):

vids:

http://youtu.be/PvvEY-mqYmM - in cabin driving, windows up
http://youtu.be/rLU-tPvl8JI - startup and rev
http://youtu.be/krmzv1EsUo4 - in cabin driving, windows down
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2015, 05:14 PM   #2
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Awesome man! Glad to help. You were the first person I contacted because I stole those other Borlas from you haha.

They look sooo much better than the OEM.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

haha yeah dude, you really hooked me up. you rock haha. and i agree.. those stock ones I always thought looked cool, but damn, compared to the rolled big tips on these?!? man they look so beefy

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2015, 05:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Nah, stock ones looked like a joke. Looks great and sounds great!

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

thanks!! I like em!

Old 02-08-2015, 08:41 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Nice man!! I love my ATAK's
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:14 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Nice man!! I love my ATAK's

+1

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
EastTNMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:53 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I think i might do a cold start video when i let her warm up for work this morning... it'll sound good. lol

Old 02-09-2015, 08:33 AM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
They do look great

Congratulations on your Ataks, I'm sure your happy that you installed them your self. That is a great fun part of modding your car. I miss doing a lot of projects because of bad health now. Keep up with the "DO IT YOURSELF" things because you will sure will learn a lot and have fun at the same time.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:10 AM   #10
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Congratulations on your Ataks, I'm sure your happy that you installed them your self. That is a great fun part of modding your car. I miss doing a lot of projects because of bad health now. Keep up with the "DO IT YOURSELF" things because you will sure will learn a lot and have fun at the same time.
Ronnie

and save a ton of money!
Old 02-09-2015, 11:09 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

yup! it was fun. plus it was bonding time with my dad haha he helped me out. but damn my body is sore today!! hahaha all that weird twisting and turning under there.. damn!

when I get home I'll upload a nice cold start idle video to YouTube that I took this morning.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:15 AM   #12

What will boost my horse power for a 2014 mustang Gt. v6 3.7l convertible with 305 hp stock

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
carranza187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:31 AM   #13
Kevin.Cook

a V6/GT hybrid? Now I need to get a Ford Camaro and we are set!

but seriously, a tune and cai should get you off to a good start. May want to start your own thread though.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:48 AM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Comon Keven- Give him a break because he is "NEW"

Hi carranza187,
Your Mustang is not a GT it is just a 3.7 V6.
Still a great engine. The V6 engine is known as a CYCLONE and does rate 305 horsepower.

A "GT" is the V8 Mustang and is over 400 horsepower and known as the COYOTE engine. Also a very great engine.

As you read a lot of stuff on these forums ,you will pick up a lot of information on your Mustang. Don't take getting ragged a little personal, I have been on here a long time with a lot of posts and still get ragged on a little ( LOT) Ha! Ha!.

Go to the AMERICAN MUSCLE Site and read up on their project cars to see what a few different mods can do for you.

Welcome to the Forum

Ronnie
Old 02-09-2015, 12:07 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I have Ataks on mine too.. Cannot be happier..
AirAidCIA | BAMA 87P Tune | BoralAtak AB| BMRAdj UCA | BMR UCA Mnt | BMRAdj PHB | GCCoilOvers | DSS 1 Piece AL Driveshaft | BMRLCA | BMR LCA Reloc Brackets | BARTONShifter | GT CS Spoiler| RedLine Hood struts | MMD Axim 20X8.5 Audio: Dynamatted Rear & Doors | AudioControl LC8i | Speakers: Infinity 682.9cf | RockFord Prime R250X4 Amp | Rockford Prime 500.1 Mono AMP | Kicker Twin10" L5 Solo Barics in a Ported BOX |P.S MORE TO COMEEEEE!!!!
Firstang001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:49 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

okay my Borla Brothers....be 110% honest with me: do you think your car sounds ricey at all with these on? because i mean, i'm not expecting a v8 rumble at all, but idk, these axlebacks sort of remind me of that foreign sound.

not saying i don't like them, because i do and i think they sound pretty cool, especially the loud *** bang pop i get when i shift 1st to 2nd around 2500rpms lol...but idk, i just feel like maybe they're not as deep as i thought they would be and they just kinda remind me of like, a subaru or something with exhaust.

any thoughts?

also, i just realized my left side hangs a little lower than the right. DAMNIT! lol
Old 02-09-2015, 05:08 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
okay my Borla Brothers....be 110% honest with me: do you think your car sounds ricey at all with these on? because i mean, i'm not expecting a v8 rumble at all, but idk, these axlebacks sort of remind me of that foreign sound.

not saying i don't like them, because i do and i think they sound pretty cool, especially the loud *** bang pop i get when i shift 1st to 2nd around 2500rpms lol...but idk, i just feel like maybe they're not as deep as i thought they would be and they just kinda remind me of like, a subaru or something with exhaust.

any thoughts?

also, i just realized my left side hangs a little lower than the right. DAMNIT! lol

Yes the Borla sound is different. I wouldnt use the word ricy though. It has more of an exotic tone. Some like it some dont, I like it.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:12 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes the Borla sound is different. I wouldnt use the word ricy though. It has more of an exotic tone. Some like it some dont, I like it.
between the S-type and the ATAK, what's the major difference? to me, the tone sounds almost the same, but it just seems like the ATAK gets louder than the stinger when you hit like, 3000rpm and above. is that it? or is there actually a tone difference?

my plan was to get stingers, but this deal for used ATAK's at a pretty decent price couldn't be passed up.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:21 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
between the S-type and the ATAK, what's the major difference? to me, the tone sounds almost the same, but it just seems like the ATAK gets louder than the stinger when you hit like, 3000rpm and above. is that it? or is there actually a tone difference?

my plan was to get stingers, but this deal for used ATAK's at a pretty decent price couldn't be passed up.
I never heard the S Type in person. From the videos Ive seen they sound pretty close to the same to my ears, the ATAK's being a little more aggressive.

So you don't like them then? Its all personal preference. Like I said I really like them. They sound really good cruising and even better when you nail it, but best of all no drone. Thats the one thing I cant live with...
Old 02-09-2015, 05:28 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I never heard the S Type in person. From the videos Ive seen they sound pretty close to the same to my ears, the ATAK's being a little more aggressive.

So you don't like them then? Its all personal preference. Like I said I really like them. They sound really good cruising and even better when you nail it, but best of all no drone. Thats the one thing I cant live with...
well, i do like it. it does sound cool, but i guess the word i'm looking at is "raspy" when it's above 3000rpm, which again, you have to expect for a v6 exhaust system. we don't have 5.0's, and i'm perfectly aware of that lol. here's hoping cops aren't gonna hunt me down more when they hear me coming though! lol

i do like the no drone..when you're cruising, it sounds stock...and i assume the other exhaust systems like the roush etc make that drone noise when cruising in like 5th gear, no?

either way, my pop is so damn loud from 1st to 2nd when i shift around 2500-3000rpm it's ridiculous. sounds like i'm shootin someone hahaha you can hear it in the beginning of one of my driving videos above.

also, here's my cold start video! i can't edit my OP for some reason.

http://youtu.be/OwiYQ3S6Wio
Old 02-09-2015, 05:29 PM   #21
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

They'll get a bit deeper after a couple of hundred miles. I have the s-types and after the first week, I go in my car and I noticed the sound had dropped lower. Really surprised me, just what I was looking for. Hang on, there's a very short break in period no one told me about
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:38 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
They'll get a bit deeper after a couple of hundred miles. I have the s-types and after the first week, I go in my car and I noticed the sound had dropped lower. Really surprised me, just what I was looking for. Hang on, there's a very short break in period no one told me about
well, mine are used lol about 8k miles on them so they're already broken in haha
Old 02-09-2015, 05:44 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

The pop, which I agree can be loud, is normal. I think with our motors that is something we have to live with. My first axle back was the Mac. It was loud and it popped like crazy, plus it had a ton of drone. For me these Borla's are very nice.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:49 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The pop, which I agree can be loud, is normal. I think with our motors that is something we have to live with. My first axle back was the Mac. It was loud and it popped like crazy, plus it had a ton of drone. For me these Borla's are very nice.
i like the pop. that's what's cool, i never hear any foreign cars with exhausts popping lol..now if only we shot flames too... hahaha

to compare the Mac to this, what did the Mac sound like? was it any deeper? or did it still have that "exotic" tone as you put it?
Old 02-09-2015, 05:52 PM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
i like the pop. that's what's cool, i never hear any foreign cars with exhausts popping lol..now if only we shot flames too... hahaha

to compare the Mac to this, what did the Mac sound like? was it any deeper? or did it still have that "exotic" tone as you put it?

The Mac's were much louder. However, I will admit it did have more of a Muscle car tone. I think the Mac's are more of what a Mustang should sound like. The drone for me though was unbearable.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:07 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The Mac's were much louder. However, I will admit it did have more of a Muscle car tone. I think the Mac's are more of what a Mustang should sound like. The drone for me though was unbearable.
ahh, i see i see. some people say putting the GT resonators on these helps get rid of some rasp...but anything that involves welding, i'm not going to touch yet lol
Old 02-09-2015, 08:35 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

howcome I can't edit my OP anymore? weird.

here's an in cabin rev video:
http://youtu.be/9MFTXyxFiJk

tried to do a drive-by video but it was way too windy tonight!
Old 02-10-2015, 02:53 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

any thoughts?

I haven't heard any v6's with after market exhaust in person yet and have been wondering what they sound like in person. Every time I read the reviews on different exhausts, there's always a couple that say it sounds like a Honda with a tin can when you get to certain rpms. I hope to find one eventually thats not too loud but sounds good when you put your foot in it. The stock exhaust sounds ricey to me when you put your foot in it.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:57 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My right testicle hangs lower than my left.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:59 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I hate that popping sound it makes when you rev it up. Do most aftermarket exhaust make that sound?
Old 02-10-2015, 06:57 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

if anything I'd say the atak makes it louder.. much louder. and it happens when I go 2nd to 3rd now too, which the stock exhaust didn't. I like it, think it sounds pretty cool.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:36 AM   #32
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

My opinion-& - only my opinion

I think that the V6 3.7 engine only sounds great with Magnaflow streets or Ford Racing Tourings. ( same as Borla Tourings)
If you want "LOUD" these are not for you. If you want a deep rumble then these are what you want.
My Magnaflows really come alive when I step on it. In just driving around ,You have to tune your ears inside the car to hear them. Outside the car they just sound very deep and don't have the "FART CAN" sound like Ataks have.
The V6 will never ever sound like a V8 anything so if your looking for that-"GOOD LUCK"- but if your not into obnoxious boisterous loud noise you would want Streets or Tourings.
Some of you love the loud Mufflers and that is fine. Then the Ataks are what you would want. NOT ME
I'm just happy they make something for every taste in Mufflers.
There are a lot of different brands to choose from. Just be sure you get what you want. The louder the muffler, The more Drone and vibrations you will get at about 70 miles per hour or so, depending what rear ratio you have.

Ronnie
Old 02-10-2015, 09:17 AM   #33
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
well, mine are used lol about 8k miles on them so they're already broken in haha
Sorry about that, missed where you mentioned they were used. Looks like they are what they are. Still a great product, you should be happy with them.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:20 AM   #34
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I think that the V6 3.7 engine only sounds great with Magnaflow streets or Ford Racing Tourings. ( same as Borla Tourings)
If you want "LOUD" these are not for you. If you want a deep rumble then these are what you want.
My Magnaflows really come alive when I step on it. In just driving around ,You have to tune your ears inside the car to hear them. Outside the car they just sound very deep and don't have the "FART CAN" sound like Ataks have.
The V6 will never ever sound like a V8 anything so if your looking for that-"GOOD LUCK"- but if your not into obnoxious boisterous loud noise you would want Streets or Tourings.
Some of you love the loud Mufflers and that is fine. Then the Ataks are what you would want. NOT ME
I'm just happy they make something for every taste in Mufflers.
There are a lot of different brands to choose from. Just be sure you get what you want. The louder the muffler, The more Drone and vibrations you will get at about 70 miles per hour or so, depending what rear ratio you have.

Ronnie
Interesting...

I never thought the ATAK's sounded like a "fart can". It just goes to show you that everyone has a different opinion on exhaust. Its a matter of what you like. I had the Borla Touring and I found them to be very tame, to tame for my liking. They sound good, but I needed something a little more.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:45 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

yeah, i wouldn't describe it as fart can to be honest, just sounds a little foreign is all haha. but i know I'll never get v8 tones until I get my 5.0 one day! haha. I'm getting used to it. I love the rumble of idle on a cold start though hahaa

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang