Noob wanna get a new exhaust! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-10-2015, 08:47 AM   #1

Region: Canada
Noob wanna get a new exhaust!

Hi guys, sorry about asking this question that might be answered before, but I just want you guys to choose, then I don't need to think too much since I'm lack of tuning knowledge.

Anyway, I just got my 2014 v6 3.7 premium Mustang, and currently I am thinking about getting an aftermarket exhaust system, and I am willing to spend around $500-600 dollars on it. All I need is a deeper, louder and nicer sound than stock one (well...I know most of aftermarket exhausts do have) but I don't want it to be annoying or too loud like a ricer car. I just want it to be stronger, like a gentle man got muscles. Lol
So my questions are:

1. Which brand works well on v6 stang( I've heard ppl say roush, borla, flow master ...);

2. For this situation, do I need cat back, or just axle back? If cat back, X or H? $600 enough?

Thank you!
JoEyyy127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2015, 08:51 AM   #2
Kevin.Cook

Now is this 600 for parts AND labor? if so, you might only be able to afford some cheap axlebacks. The sounds are very opinionated. You will have to listen to youtube vids and choose for yourself. I personally like the deep rumble of the Borla S-Types. But each person has their preferences.

You can score some good mufflers for 500-600. If you want to get an X or H pipe, be prepared to cough up another 200-300 for a decent one.

Check out American Muscle's website. They usually have stuff on sale for their Monthly sales and some of the items have sound clips.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:56 AM   #3
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I put Bassani axle backs on mine and I like it. I describe it as European with a bit of burble and they are not what my wife describes as stupid loud. Be warned most aftermarket systems for the V6 will drone. Mine has a touch when under load and from what I've read the folks with automatics find it more annoying. I also like my CAI which sounds good for the driver remember the exhaust is for bystanders.
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2015, 09:43 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I want an axle back exhaust on my 2012 V6, but I'm worried about my extended warranty. I'm paying extra monthly for a 100k bumper to bumper warranty. In addition, my dealer gave me a lifetime engine and drive train warranty, but you have to keep up all maintenance by a certified mechanic.

Will adding an aftermarket exhaust give me a hassle and void any of this? Some have been telling me yes, others no.

The car is my daily driver so warranty is a MUST, though I'd like a little better exhaust sound from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
aleXXXps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:45 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
An axleback or catback exhaust will not void any power train warranty
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:50 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

^ holy resurrection.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:05 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Haha, what's up DIEseven.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:12 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Anyone know where I could get used borla s type exhaust?

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
big95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:13 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Craigslist, Facebook forums, check the for sale forum here, etc.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:19 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

^that

I'm not sure if he still has them, I saw someone here selling his s-types

And welcome back mustangz
Old 02-10-2015, 10:50 AM   #11
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoEyyy127 View Post
Hi guys, sorry about asking this question that might be answered before, but I just want you guys to choose, then I don't need to think too much since I'm lack of tuning knowledge.

Anyway, I just got my 2014 v6 3.7 premium Mustang, and currently I am thinking about getting an aftermarket exhaust system, and I am willing to spend around $500-600 dollars on it. All I need is a deeper, louder and nicer sound than stock one (well...I know most of aftermarket exhausts do have) but I don't want it to be annoying or too loud like a ricer car. I just want it to be stronger, like a gentle man got muscles. Lol
So my questions are:

1. Which brand works well on v6 stang( I've heard ppl say roush, borla, flow master ...);

2. For this situation, do I need cat back, or just axle back? If cat back, X or H? $600 enough?

Thank you!
Hey Joey,

Congratulations on the purchase of your new 3.7! They are great cars.

For your V6, I am a huge fan of the Flowmaster Force II Axle-Back.

These install easily, look great, and sound amazing!

They provide a deeper "V8" style growl without being overly obnoxious or raspy.

Check out a video here:

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

-Will
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:29 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

For what it is worth, I am partial to the magnaflows. I have them on my 98 GT that rebuilt.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:55 PM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Do what I did and read about the science of an exhaust system. Borla is the only exhaust site I found during my research that had some great information. You owe it to yourself to read the information on this link before you buy. This is Borla's FAQ page and will help you understand what's involved. I'm not saying you should buy Borla, even though that's what I purchased, but that you should inform yourself regardless of what exhaust you decide on. Hope this help
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
Do what I did and read about the science of an exhaust system. Borla is the only exhaust site I found during my research that had some great information. You owe it to yourself to read the information on this link before you buy. This is Borla's FAQ page and will help you understand what's involved. I'm not saying you should buy Borla, even though that's what I purchased, but that you should inform yourself regardless of what exhaust you decide on. Hope this help

Thank you bro, this helps me a lot. I am learning something.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMWill View Post
Hey Joey,

Congratulations on the purchase of your new 3.7! They are great cars.

For your V6, I am a huge fan of the Flowmaster Force II Axle-Back.

These install easily, look great, and sound amazing!

They provide a deeper "V8" style growl without being overly obnoxious or raspy.

Check out a video here:

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

-Will

Thank you Will, I have looked this as well, but just can't decide if I don't hear it in real you know. Haha I will consider about it!
Old 02-10-2015, 03:08 PM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Thank you bro, this helps me a lot. I am learning something.
You're welcome. Make sure you listen to exhausts in person. Go to any car meet you can find in your area and anyone will be more than happy to show off their exhaust for you. It's the only way to tell for sure
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
Old 02-10-2015, 03:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Now is this 600 for parts AND labor? if so, you might only be able to afford some cheap axlebacks. The sounds are very opinionated. You will have to listen to youtube vids and choose for yourself. I personally like the deep rumble of the Borla S-Types. But each person has their preferences.

You can score some good mufflers for 500-600. If you want to get an X or H pipe, be prepared to cough up another 200-300 for a decent one.

Check out American Muscle's website. They usually have stuff on sale for their Monthly sales and some of the items have sound clips.

Thanks for reply, the $600 is just for the parts, it is my first time on tuning cars so I wanna do step by step tho, do u think this price is enough for a good cat back exhaust for beginner?( I saw many cheap exhausts online that cost only 200-300 for cat back or long tube)
Old 02-10-2015, 03:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
An axleback or catback exhaust will not void any power train warranty

Will it void train warranty in Canada?
Old 02-10-2015, 03:44 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Will it void train warranty in Canada?
No. The only thing it POSSIBLY could, and it's highly unlikely, is the bumper, if it melts it.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:53 PM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
No. The only thing it POSSIBLY could, and it's highly unlikely, is the bumper, if it melts it.
Nope, not gonna happen.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:55 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
Nope, not gonna happen.
I know that. That's just what my dealer said. It's idiotic to think that could happen.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:07 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Roush axle backs from AM, you will have the biggest smile on your face for sure

Matts14fp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:45 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Also the "just installed xxx exhaust, listen how cool" vids are not a great reference. Try to find videos where people have had them on for a while. As they break in, the sound changes.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:51 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I've had mine on for about 10k miles.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:00 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Noob wanna get a new exhaust!

At 10k my Roush sound completely different than at the beginning. Before they were like a 10 and now I would say they are about a 4-5 in loudness.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:20 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Installed my Borla ATAK's today!

i posted some clips of my borla ATAK's in there if you're interested in them. they're pretty loud though!
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:14 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysh View Post
At 10k my Roush sound completely different than at the beginning. Before they were like a 10 and now I would say they are about a 4-5 in loudness.

Exactly why you should go loud to start, my family also owns a challenger that has Magnaflow streets on it and after 15k you can't tell the difference from the stock sound, so it ended up being a waste of money.

SR Performance CAI, Diablosport Intune bama tuner, Roush Axleback, Matte black rocker stripes.
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:22 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Go with the roush axle backs. Incredibly deep and they scream above 3500 rpm

billy_sullivan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:14 PM   #29

What's the difference between switching cat back and axle back exhaust, only the sound and performance?
Old 02-10-2015, 08:29 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Up until a month or so ago, for, 600 the easy answer was borla. Then borla prices jumped ~100. $700 for an axle back is bonkers.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:38 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

All of the suppliers kept selling out of the Borla mufflers so fast I can't really blame them. If they stay on the shelves longer than they can get new loads in, they may come down again. I tried to buy stingers twice in the past and the popular vendors I looked at were sold out both times.
CUBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:40 PM   #32
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
Up until a month or so ago, for, 600 the easy answer was borla. Then borla prices jumped ~100. $700 for an axle back is bonkers.
600 for axlebacks is crazy lol

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:44 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
600 for axlebacks is crazy lol

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
+10. 789$ for ataks is ridiculous!!!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:23 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
You can find the Roush axleback on ebay quite easily, they usually sell for under 450 shipped.

I've been contemplating getting the MAC axleback because its so cheap, but I remember MAC products having a great sound but awful build quality from back in the day so I don't know if they're any better.

American Muscle's youtube/website is a great resource for reviews and sound clips.
Strata197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:51 PM   #35
Registered Member

Regular

pypes
Cise is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust