base model fog lights - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-10-2015, 11:09 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
base model fog lights

is there any reason I cannot use these on my base model 2014 ? It states the will only fit the GT

2013 2014 Ford Mustang GT Genuine Ford Parts Fog Lamp Light Kit Complete | eBay
Logan541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2015, 08:16 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Here is the important part from thier description:

Fits all 2013 thru 2014 Ford Mustang GT. This kit will ONLY fit GT models! If you are unsure of your application please contact me with your VIN (vehicle identification number). Although Ford has deigned this kit for the GT only (this kit taps into the GT's fog lamp circuit for power and operation), the fog lamps will bolt into the V6 front end and V6 owners will have to establish their own switched circuit to operate them. Many of our V6 customers have done this with sucess!

So, it will fit, you just have to figure out the wiring yourself.
gkcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Make sure to read carefully before asking for help lol

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Chaz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2015, 01:06 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz12 View Post
Make sure to read carefully before asking for help lol

That's what I get for trying to sneak surfing in while at work
Old 02-17-2015, 02:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Lol I can completely relate

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Chaz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:15 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Looks just like the fog b lights on a Pony or MCA package.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:21 PM   #7
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Looks just like the fog b lights on a Pony or MCA package.

From what the picture shows, this is correct. You can tell from the rims on the car in that pic that it is from the Pony Package. Tech Package would also include these.

Might want to confirm with the seller that those lights are indeed what is in the pic. Sometimes sellers use base pics but the items is different.

But yes, these are for V6s normally if they are the same as what is in the picture.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
The easiest way is to buy these then get the Starkey wire harness so it's plug and play. That's what I did. You can throw out the wire harness that comes in the ford kit.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:47 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I bought that exact kit (have bought several items from this seller - very reliable) from those folks for my 14 V6 Prem vert. They work great, BUT, you will need a switch, (Amazon.com) and additional wiring kit. As a side note, with the switch, you also will pickup automatic headlights too. I got wiring kit off ebay & will try to find in a bit. This kit is to replace GT fogs from the grille to the valance, thus the wiring plugs into the existing GT wiring at the fogs in the grill - thus too short for our application.
Starkey kit is great, but I saved $100+ by getting this kit, switch from Amazon & wiring kit.
There are two thoughts on wiring at the switch, Starkey one way, AM another. One tells you to splice, one says to cut. I used T-Connectors and did not cut. One also says to power lead to low beam head lights - thus fogs only work when low beams are on. I put my "hot" lead on a spare terminal in the fuse panel (there are several). I often use my fogs with parking lights in rain or before it gets dark.
This really isn't as hard as it may sound. Did mine in a couple of hours, but I'm OCD on running & securing wiring. I'll look for the harness I used and add later. If you want PM contact info & we can talk about it. Glad to help-they really work great. Nice & bright, fill in the dark space between hood & lights at nite.
This kit I used is from a guy called stuff26 on ebay and is for a 2013 Mustang V6 with Fog Lights Wiring System for use with OEM switch

$118.50 + shipping - switch was in the area of $20 shipped.
Again PM with any questions.
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:30 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
The easiest way is to buy these then get the Starkey wire harness so it's plug and play. That's what I did. You can throw out the wire harness that comes in the ford kit.
This is right... I am doing the same and I brought starkey wiring harness which is plug and play. It comes with all the necessary parts including the headlight switch.
AirAidCIA | BAMA 87P Tune | BoralAtak AB| BMRAdj UCA | BMR UCA Mnt | BMRAdj PHB | GCCoilOvers | DSS 1 Piece AL Driveshaft | BMRLCA | BMR LCA Reloc Brackets | BARTONShifter | GT CS Spoiler| RedLine Hood struts | MMD Axim 20X8.5 Audio: Dynamatted Rear & Doors | AudioControl LC8i | Speakers: Infinity 682.9cf | RockFord Prime R250X4 Amp | Rockford Prime 500.1 Mono AMP | Kicker Twin10" L5 Solo Barics in a Ported BOX |P.S MORE TO COMEEEEE!!!!
Firstang001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:39 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Believe Starkey has their wiring harness & switch for $189. Starkey complete kit is $399 isn't it.
If you got the lights from the source you mentioned & the Starkey wiring kit you would still save about $85 for something else.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:41 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies everyone I was going to buy the switch direct from Ford for$28.00 but from what I am gathering that will not work I need the harness huh.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:39 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Will this work or do I need that starkey's? H11 880 Relay Wiring Wire Harness Conversion Kit for Fog Lights HID Xenon LED Dr | eBay
Old 02-23-2015, 09:28 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan541 View Post

This wiring harness has the right plugs but..
1. Are you planning to buy headlight switch separately?
2. Did you figure out how will you integrate this wiring with the new headlight switch?

I would say go with Starkey harness. They are simple to install and will have everything you need.
AirAidCIA | BAMA 87P Tune | BoralAtak AB| BMRAdj UCA | BMR UCA Mnt | BMRAdj PHB | GCCoilOvers | DSS 1 Piece AL Driveshaft | BMRLCA | BMR LCA Reloc Brackets | BARTONShifter | GT CS Spoiler| RedLine Hood struts | MMD Axim 20X8.5 Audio: Dynamatted Rear & Doors | AudioControl LC8i | Speakers: Infinity 682.9cf | RockFord Prime R250X4 Amp | Rockford Prime 500.1 Mono AMP | Kicker Twin10" L5 Solo Barics in a Ported BOX |P.S MORE TO COMEEEEE!!!!
Firstang001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:41 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

switch

was going tbuy swith from Ford for $28.00 figured the wireing should not be that hard to figure out hopefully
Old 02-23-2015, 01:14 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

You should get a proper wiring harness that includes a relay. If you try and draw power from another source (side marker lights, etc) your fogs will be very dim. I do not believe the last kit you reference will do what you want. Wire gauge to/from the switch is quite small. When you turn on the fogs, the switch should operate a relay that cuts full 12V battery voltage to the fogs (with appropriate gauge wire). With today's vehicles having more computer power than Apollo 13, you don't want to go improvising & putting electrical loads where they shouldn't be.
I used the kit I referenced it post#9. The only issue I had was the wiring from the relay to the fogs in the valance was a tad short on the left side. I simply used one of the wires that came with the light kit to lengthen the short one from the wire kit.
Note the light kit you referenced is to replace/move the GT fogs to the valance. The wire that comes with that kit is only long enough to reach from the GT fogs in the grill to the fogs in the lower valance.
If you are uncomfortable with wiring yourself, get the Starkey Kit. It costs more but has everything you need in one kit.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang