Anyone using a Spectre Cold Air Intake V6 Kit (9929)? It's cheap at $100 shipped! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-10-2015, 10:09 PM   #1

Region: Illinois
Anyone using a Spectre Cold Air Intake V6 Kit (9929)? It's cheap at $100 shipped!

Recently, I was thinking of a "do it yourself" cold air intake and found this Spectre Air Intake Kit for a V6 2011-2014 Mustang... I see them everywhere for ~$150 shipped. I can find reviews on other CAI's Spectre makes, but none on the 9929 for V6 cars. Since Spectre has been making these since 2012, I'm hoping that someone here has some direct experience/knowledge of it; I found one person on another forum; they can't be the only one out there. I'm not planning on doing any major mods until my warranty is expired, but it would be nice to know if it can perform like the $300 CAI's.

So, after searching for a review, I found this Spectre 9929 (V6) cold air intake at AdvanceAuto.com for $99.99 shipped (plus tax) and bought it. I figure it seems like a great buy for the money, and I could always return it if I don't like it. It is $149.99, but at checkout, enter coupon code WD56 to get $50 off. If you are thinking about it, then don't think too long because Advance Auto coupons are not good on sale items; it is not uncommon for AA to lower their regular price by a couple dollars to stop the use of coupons on that item, such as they did with the Rhino Gear RhinoRamp MAX. WD56 also provides these discounts: $10/$25, $20/$50, $30/$75, $40/$100... not good on oil(OK on oil filters), promo items or sale items.

Also, the above coupon can be applied to the Spectre 9928 CAI for the V8 Mustangs @ $99.99 shipped (plus tax) as well!
There has to be more than 1 person out there that has one of these...

SeaSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2015, 04:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Personally speaking, i would send that intake back for 2 reasons:

1. The Maf placement between 2 bends is awful, i'm not particularly fond of that.
2. Its hard to tell from the picture, but that intake looks a good deal shorter than the other units ... i would not be surprised if it gave up a few Ft/lbs of torque. It may not be noticeable, but it wouldnt surprise me.
3. Lastly, the stock airbox is designed very well. If you want this for bling and sound factor than by all means it will serve that purpose just fine. If you're expecting a big gain in HP, i would advise slightly lowering your expectations.

Dont want to come in here sounding like an *** and pissing on your thread, but, i'm just not feeling it with this intake. The best thing i can see happening is that since Spectre uses plastic, instead of metal, your intake temps may stay a bit lower than some other CAIs ... granted, i believe a lot of the high end ones are plastic.

Edit: Actually, since that piece has the MAF flanged welded on, its obviously metal... and is therefore prone to heatsoak.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I had one one my 2011 GT and it worked great. Like previously said, it will not give you much performance but it did make my car sound better and always looks good. For 100$ i would get it. I payed about 150$ for it a little over a year ago. Also your post says its for a GT but do you have a GT or V6? Because it will not work if you are buying it for the wrong engine size.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Chaz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2015, 04:39 PM   #4
Kevin.Cook

I had one similar to this on my 08 Stang. And it was just making the air hotter when it entered the engine due to the intake tube being metal. This is why so many people go for the plastic like ones.

Sometimes, you can actually hurt your HP by feeding it hotter air via this intake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-11-2015, 07:54 PM   #5

"Voltwings"... No, you're not pissing on this thread at all. I've read some of your posts... you've got too much good information. Though in the past, I have come across people on other forums that present no logic or even common sense, yet are so full of themselves to ramble on just because... you are far removed from that crowd. I'm just looking for input so as to make an educated decision, so I welcome comments.

Thanks for the input "Chaz12". I've got a 2014 Race Red V6 Perf Pkg car. Sorry for the confusion... thread is about the 9929 CAI (for V6); I have a note at the end that the 9928 (for V8) can be had for the same price. I added V6 to the beginning to clarify.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSalt View Post
"Voltwings"... No, you're not pissing on this thread at all. I've read some of your posts... you've got too much good information. Though in the past, I have come across people on other forums that present no logic or even common sense, yet are so full of themselves to ramble on just because... you are far removed from that crowd. I'm just looking for input so as to make an educated decision, so I welcome comments.

Well, if you happen to come across a tuner (maybe some can let you borrow theirs just to log) i'll be happy to look at any logs for you and see how it looks. As "informed" as i may be, i'm wrong from time to time
Old 02-11-2015, 08:19 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post

Well, if you happen to come across a tuner (maybe some can let you borrow theirs just to log) i'll be happy to look at any logs for you and see how it looks. As "informed" as i may be, i'm wrong from time to time
Let me send you my logs and tell me what they mean lol.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
Let me send you my logs and tell me what they mean lol.

Start here, i'll answer any further questions.
How to: Understand your datalogs
Old 02-12-2015, 09:03 AM   #9

Thanks, will definitely consider that. Need to find someone in the Chicagoland area that'd be nice enough to do so. More importantly, will have to wait until it gets warmer; currently below 0 with wind chill

Quote:

Old 02-12-2015, 01:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
For the car I'd rather spend a few bucks extra and be confident in quality and performance. I drive every day so spending the $300 for the Airaid intake was worth it for me. Got some of the best reviews and they had a $50 rebate too for it. I would check and see if they have any promotions like that before I'd buy the cheaper one.
Bonsai_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:13 AM   #11

I should hopefully have some data log info in the next few days. The "one-and-only" person that I found who has this Spectre CAI installed on a 3.7, also has some nice mods and a Bama Tune. I contacted him and he'll send me his data logs when he gets a chance (real nice guy). He's never logged data... do you have any tips I could pass on to him? The photo below is of his Mustang, Spectre CAI installed.

Quote:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 Mustang Spectre CAI.jpg
Views:	918
Size:	604.5 KB
ID:	175304  
Old 02-13-2015, 01:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, logs are 100x easier to read if you have someone helping you. That way there isnt a bunch of random data from just driving around, its just: Start the log > start the pull > finish the log.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:52 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Airaid all the way

hansford1333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:42 AM   #14

Voltwings... I received the data log. It's in a .csv file type, which I cannot seem to attach to this posting. Does it need to be converted? If so, to what?

Thanks in advance.

Also, was set to record the MAF and manifold info. Not sure if you wanted any other parameters.

UPDATE: Coupon Code WD56 is no longer valid... use coupon code WD57 for $50 off $125.

Quote:

Old 02-15-2015, 05:41 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I've been using a cheep Ebay CAI $60 shipped...looks exactly like the Injen intake. Spending $300 on cheep plastic because everyone else says to is BS...congratulations you've managed to fall for one of the biggest cons out ther...over priced sound!

The aluminum intakes dont make a difference over the plastic ones and nother of them will work as well unless they have a heat shield to prevent it from sucking in hot air when stopped.

Something to think about though, I did a few logs and found that sitting at a full stop the intake brought in temps as high as 110...however at 5 mph it was bringing in ambiant temp air...so you'd be wrong saying that it brings in hot air cause it in fact pulls in whatever is outside (with out using a snorkel too). The car is very well designed like that.

I also dialed in a better tune with Bama and the car pulls harder than ever before...swapping back to stock it had a small lag down low and felt a little strained up top too.

Anyway, like everything get a dataloged tune when doing any mod. As you add more and more the modifications will start to blend together and you want the smoothest blend possible
Old 02-18-2015, 01:48 PM   #16

A friend of mine just received a copy of Spectre Performance's dyno sheet on the 9929 CAI.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 9929Dyno.pdf (3.19 MB, 228 views)
Old 02-19-2015, 11:12 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Looks promising

JohnnyBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cold air intake