Getting antsy/worried about leaving my car at dealer for a week... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-11-2015, 05:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Getting antsy/worried about leaving my car at dealer for a week...

help me put my mind at ease, mustang brothers! so i just installed my ATAK's and i love it, and then sunday night i have to drop off my mustang to the dealer for my hood repaint....boo!!

so, i'm dropping it off, and then the dealer is driving it to their body shop, and the body shop will have it for a week to repaint it. does anyone else get super worried like i'm feeling right now that whoever drives it between the two places will drive like a moron, or doesn't know how to drive stick and burns my clutch up!?!? i'm getting super antsy. and i don't want them trying to blast it now because it's loud with the new exhaust and whatnot. i mean, you naturally assume people with these jobs would respect their job and customers enough to be curteous and kind to the vehicles, but ever since i saw that video of those two ******* ford mechanics purposely driving the guys mustang in 1st to try to blow the engine (their own words, captured by his dash cam), i'm super worried about anyone else ever driving my car.

my first instincts are to take note of mileage in the car when i drop it off at ford, and then i'll map out the routes from there to the auto body shop and back etc and compare. i'm also going to reset my trip odometer so that if i get it back and it's at like 6mpg, i'll know they were ripping on it..and if it's reset, i'll 100% question that. i just really don't trust anybody with anything, to be honest lol

anyone wanna help put my mind at ease?!?! this is my first new car! haha
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2015, 06:10 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I would love to... but that's exactly how I feel lol.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:15 PM   #3
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Wow you sound really paranoid. You could get a hidden camera and put it in the vent, or tape record them.

Obviously, you'll want to put a little warning somewhere that the person(s) driving this vehicle may be recorded.

You could also ask to meet whomever at the body shop. Better yet you could buy a GPS chip, or one of those things that plugs into the OBD port that monitors speed, acceleration, etc.
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2015, 06:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'm guessing you are one of those parents that puts those leashes on their kids. But anyways, I don't like people driving my car either but you just need to trust certain reputable dealers and shops. Unless you expect to follow them there and back.... You just need to trust them I mean it's just them driving it to get painted and back. It's very simple lol you are over paranoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Chaz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:22 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
My friend you aren't paranoid...
It's natural to feel this way about your car... Be glad it's only a week and not 8 months... I called them every day, and came over every weekend to check on her... My first child...Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1423700503.794345.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	175226
I'm still not done restoring her... After nearly 6 f***ing years, I'm still not done...

Adventure till you drop
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:23 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

lol its not that I'm paranoid, it's that I simply don't trust anyone easily, especially when it comes to a car i purchased with my hard earned cash of over 20 grand lol. and after watching that video, I def don't trust what people would do with my car when I'm not there. I have to bring it Sunday so I don't think I've got time to get a dash cam. ford insists I bring it to the dealer and they'll take it to the body shop.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Old 02-11-2015, 06:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

My best opinion is to follow them there if you are really that worried.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Chaz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:37 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I'm the EXACT same way. When I had to drop my car off at the body shop for hail damage I wrote down the milage and had the shop sign off on it. Trust no one! BTW a week seems ridiculously long for a hood re paint.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
I'm am the EXACT same way. When I had to drop my car off at the body shop for hail damage I wrote down the milage and had the shop sign off on it. Trust no one! BTW a week seems ridiculously long for a hood re paint.

What about for an entire car repaint.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
What about for an entire car repaint.
A whole car requires much more prep, a hood should be two days.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:30 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Don't worry you'll be fine. Their reputation is more important than doing some thing stupid to your car.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
lol its not that I'm paranoid, it's that I simply don't trust anyone easily, especially when it comes to a car i purchased with my hard earned cash of over 20 grand lol. and after watching that video, I def don't trust what people would do with my car when I'm not there. I have to bring it Sunday so I don't think I've got time to get a dash cam. ford insists I bring it to the dealer and they'll take it to the body shop.

Well look at it this way...they probably won't drive it any harder than you have on a few occasions.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:44 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
They more than likely will reset your mileage when they do a "courtesy" check on your fluids. I know your taking it in for hood repaint but I bet they tell you it's reset because they did an inspection for you since they had the car.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:49 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

yeah? bc i asked them while they have it for a week, for them to look at my sloshing water problem, and she said no, I have to make a separate appointment bc the body shop which is an outsourced place will have it for a week, not the dealer. so it's a week maximum. then I get it back, and then next Sunday night I have to drop it off again so Monday the leaks guy can check out the issue. I'm writing a note and leaving it in the car of the exact issue and how many other people have it, so hopefully he's dealt with it before and can re seal the wheel well. either way even if my trip odometer is reset, I'll still have the regular mileage. they better not touch my trip odometer 2 bc I've had it running since I got the car... hahaha I'm gonna see how long I can keep it going.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:04 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I was just trying to add to your paranoia.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:09 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

lol jerk. 😝 oh well. I'm sure she'll be ok. I've read some reviews of the body shop and people seem to like them, and they've been around forever so who knows.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:25 PM   #17
rob.james.arias

Be very worried. My car had to be repaired 5 (FIVE!!!) times and turned into 6 weeks at the "number 1 rated Ford dealer in Florida".

When I got it back it had finger prints in the clear coat, a hair in the paint, dozens of fisheyes, rattles in the front and the car only had 300 miles at that point...

Now the paint is chipping where they RE-painted.

Just saying you should be very worried, in fact you could not be worried enough. My best advice is to ask them to walk the car with you when dropping it off and note any less then perfect areas or that it is flawless whatever the case may be.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:37 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.james.arias View Post
Be very worried. My car had to be repaired 5 (FIVE!!!) times and turned into 6 weeks at the "number 1 rated Ford dealer in Florida".

When I got it back it had finger prints in the clear coat, a hair in the paint, dozens of fisheyes, rattles in the front and the car only had 300 miles at that point...

Now the paint is chipping where they RE-painted.

Just saying you should be very worried, in fact you could not be worried enough. My best advice is to ask them to walk the car with you when dropping it off and note any less then perfect areas or that it is flawless whatever the case may be.
well, ****. i'm dropping it off on a sunday night because i've got work the next day so i can't bring it in. ugh. well, i'm going to wash it this weekend and take many pics close up, so i'll have something to compare it to. posts like this aren't easing my mind lmao
Old 02-11-2015, 10:57 PM   #19
rob.james.arias

Quote:
well, ****. i'm dropping it off on a sunday night because i've got work the next day so i can't bring it in. ugh. well, i'm going to wash it this weekend and take many pics close up, so i'll have something to compare it to. posts like this aren't easing my mind lmao
Not trying to freak you out. Here are some pictures of the finished work to ease your mind.

[IMG][/IMG]
Finger prints in the paint

[IMG][/IMG]
Orange peel and bubbling clear coat

[IMG][/IMG]
Imperfections the dealership found after the second or third time painting it...
Old 02-11-2015, 11:35 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Simple solution...set the spare key under the my key program and limit the speed to 45 mph, then give them that spare key. If they try to get on it...tough s**t for them. LOL
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:38 PM   #21
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
just don't go on youtube and watch all the videos of dealers abusing customer cars. Probably won't help the paranoia.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:41 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
lol jerk. 😝 oh well. I'm sure she'll be ok. I've read some reviews of the body shop and people seem to like them, and they've been around forever so who knows.

Your welcome, it's nice to know I'm not the only one who worries about their car like that.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:11 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
Simple solution...set the spare key under the my key program and limit the speed to 45 mph, then give them that spare key. If they try to get on it...tough s**t for them. LOL
^^^This^^^

Old 02-12-2015, 05:31 AM   #24
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
on my 2012 I THINK the MyKey limit is 85...but I would try that if you really want. What I do is log mileage #'s and old school as it is I leave a note in the car asking them to treat it with respect. idk if it prevents abuse but it helps me sleep
Old 02-12-2015, 05:57 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

yeah, my key only limits at 80 which is useless. and I've read some reviews of this body shop they use and people seem to say their paint jobs are really good, so here's hoping... and if it's not, back it goes! lol

Old 02-12-2015, 05:58 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
A whole car requires much more prep, a hood should be two days.

They kept my car for 2 days when they repainted my hood. I don't understand a week at all.
BrewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:10 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

so, you're worried about THIS ?
gkcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:46 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
yeah, my key only limits at 80 which is useless. and I've read some reviews of this body shop they use and people seem to say their paint jobs are really good, so here's hoping... and if it's not, back it goes! lol

Bah, I wish we could program a valet key. I forgot which car I saw it on, I believe it's the Corvette. Which not only caps the speed but won't let you out of 2nd gear and limits the RPMS to something like 3000.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:04 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Bah, I wish we could program a valet key. I forgot which car I saw it on, I believe it's the Corvette. Which not only caps the speed but won't let you out of 2nd gear and limits the RPMS to something like 3000.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Yeah, it's the Vette
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:45 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

We have the mykey option.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:59 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, we know that
Old 02-12-2015, 10:00 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

^I was surprised no one had mentioned it.

Edit: and then I read the previous comments lol
Old 02-12-2015, 10:03 AM   #33
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Don't let it stress you out so much.

They are not wanting to drive it to far or to fast with those loud mufflers you just put on.
If your dropping it at your "FORD" dealer you gotta know that they only hire professionals to do oil changes and shuttle cars around.

Just be sure you remove every single thing from the car before you drop it off. I'm sure nobody would steal anything but stuff may dissolve in a full week, Also make sure to do a walkaround with a service professional before leaving the car with them.
I'm sure you will be fine.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:45 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

thanks ronnie! thing is i'm dropping it off at night and leaving a key bc i have work the next morning when the appointment is, so i can't walk around it with anyone, but I'll be sure to take many pics this weekend after i wash all the salt off her.

the new hellcat challenger has the valet mode where you can limit so much, too. wish our cars had that!

Old 02-12-2015, 11:01 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Your definitely not paranoid. Didnt any of you see the video of a ford dealership trying to blow the motor up of a 3.7 cyclone ownerby red lining it for a long period of time when he dropped it off for service? ??
R.R.STANG is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang