Future new wheels questions... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-12-2015, 11:05 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Future new wheels questions...

I'm pretty dead set on getting this wheel and tire kit from AM in a few weeks (MMD MMD Staggered Axim Gloss Black Mustang Wheel & Pirelli Tire Kit - 19x8.5/10 63102 (05-14 All) - Free Shipping). I'm going to call them before I order to clarify a few things but thought I would ask all my fellow enthusiasts on here first.

Question 1: I would love to see pics of these wheels on a few cars besides the stock photos on AM. Anyone running with these ones on?

Question 2: I currently have the 5/16" wheels spacers on my car so that the stock wheels clear my caliper covers. Would I still need to use the spacers with these new wheels or not?

Question 3: I've never bought new wheels for any of my cars. Do I need to get an alignment after I put them on? And is my speedometer going to be off since I'm going from 17's to 19's?

Last Question: I'm thinking about going with that exact combo. Do you guys think the staggered one will be good for just my DD car or should I go with standard? I love the staggered look and I don't care much about the rotation aspect of it if I get the staggered. I know this is just more of a personal preference but I was just curious what you all thought!

Here are a couple pics of my car so you get an idea of what these wheels might look like on it. I will stop ranting now.
Thanks everyone, you all are awesome!!!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1423760649.114580.jpg
Views:	1317
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	175251Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1423760702.014621.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	175252

2013 Race Red V6 Premium. 35% window tint, racing stripes, Raxiom interior LED dome lights, Raxiom license plate LED lights, MMD taillight trim, MMD Classic louvers, blacked out all side and back markers and tail lights, Ford Racing Sport Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, upper and lower black modern billet grilles, MGP caliper covers.
rringler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2015, 11:21 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rringler View Post
I'm pretty dead set on getting this wheel and tire kit from AM in a few weeks (MMD MMD Staggered Axim Gloss Black Mustang Wheel & Pirelli Tire Kit - 19x8.5/10 63102 (05-14 All) - Free Shipping). I'm going to call them before I order to clarify a few things but thought I would ask all my fellow enthusiasts on here first.

Question 1: I would love to see pics of these wheels on a few cars besides the stock photos on AM. Anyone running with these ones on?

Question 2: I currently have the 5/16" wheels spacers on my car so that the stock wheels clear my caliper covers. Would I still need to use the spacers with these new wheels or not?

Question 3: I've never bought new wheels for any of my cars. Do I need to get an alignment after I put them on? And is my speedometer going to be off since I'm going from 17's to 19's?

Last Question: I'm thinking about going with that exact combo. Do you guys think the staggered one will be good for just my DD car or should I go with standard? I love the staggered look and I don't care much about the rotation aspect of it if I get the staggered. I know this is just more of a personal preference but I was just curious what you all thought!

Here are a couple pics of my car so you get an idea of what these wheels might look like on it. I will stop ranting now.
Thanks everyone, you all are awesome!!!Attachment 175251Attachment 175252

2013 Race Red V6 Premium. 35% window tint, racing stripes, Raxiom interior LED dome lights, Raxiom license plate LED lights, MMD taillight trim, MMD Classic louvers, blacked out all side and back markers and tail lights, Ford Racing Sport Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, upper and lower black modern billet grilles, MGP caliper covers.

This is the only thing i can comment on. You will not need an alignment, and check the height of those new tires against the height of your current ones.
Tire Height Calculator - Wallace Racing

If i'm not mistaken the V6 comes with a 28" tire stock, but those 275 40 19s come out to be right about 27.66", so i wouldnt worry about the speedo being off.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:25 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
This is the only thing i can comment on. You will not need an alignment, and check the height of those new tires against the height of your current ones.
Tire Height Calculator - Wallace Racing

If i'm not mistaken the V6 comes with a 28" tire stock, but those 275 40 19s come out to be right about 27.66", so i wouldnt worry about the speedo being off.

Thanks for that link Voltwings! Sounds like I should be ok then for the speedometer and alignment. Thanks for the quick response.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2015, 11:25 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
These are very nice wheels.

As far as the spacers go I would still use them. I have aftermarket wheels with the same specs and I still use my 5/16 spacer. The back will be almost flush, the front will still look a little sunk in. Personally, I hate that look. I wish I would have bought a more aggressive setup and not have to use the spacers. I like my tires to be flush.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:29 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

One more question I didnt address...staggered vs. square.

For me, staggered all the way. While you cant rotate them you can still flop them. It will cost you a little more but really you would only flop them around 2-3 times a year. I have a relationship with a tire company very close to me, they charge me 35-40.00 to flop and re-balance them. The cost is worth the look.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:29 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
These are very nice wheels.

As far as the spacers go I would still use them. I have aftermarket wheels with the same specs and I still use my 5/16 spacer. The back will be almost flush, the front will still look a little sunk in. Personally, I hate that look. I wish I would have bought a more aggressive setup and not have to use the spacers. I like my tires to be flush.

Thanks SoCal, I figured better safe than sorry with the spacers too. What wheels do you have?
Old 02-12-2015, 11:29 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rringler View Post
Thanks SoCal, I figured better safe than sorry with the spacers too. What wheels do you have?

Niche Milans, but I have 20's.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:30 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
You should get some gold amr's
superdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Staggered all the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
hansford1333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:03 PM   #10
Kevin.Cook

Stagger definitely! Will give you a slightly more aggressive stance. Especially if you choose to lower it later.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:47 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansford1333 View Post
Staggered all the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Stagger definitely! Will give you a slightly more aggressive stance. Especially if you choose to lower it later.

Thanks guys appreciate your input. I'm sure I'll be lowering it in the future. Not on the top of my list but def is on the list. Haha.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:49 PM   #12
Kevin.Cook

Then you will be setting yourself up for success in the long run
Old 02-13-2015, 04:55 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Then you will be setting yourself up for success in the long run

Perfect then!!!
Old 02-13-2015, 05:41 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Since the op is posting questions about wheels, I might as well make one here instead of opening another one. I have a 2013 V6 premium, with the exact wheels that the op has. I am getting the 20 inch AMR black wheels from AM. Will I have to tune my car for having my speedometer fixed?

P.S. I have 17" stock wheels.

Lambo345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:25 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo345 View Post
Since the op is posting questions about wheels, I might as well make one here instead of opening another one. I have a 2013 V6 premium, with the exact wheels that the op has. I am getting the 20 inch AMR black wheels from AM. Will I have to tune my car for having my speedometer fixed?

P.S. I have 17" stock wheels.

You should be fine. I went from 18 to 20 with no issue.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:35 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you, for the info.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:05 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

What about a staggered set of svt wheels? 19x9.5 in the front and 20x9.5 in the back? Will my speedometer be off? Will it rub?

2013 Red Candy 3.7, MPT Tune, Afraid intake, BBK shortys, BBK mid-pipe w/cats, Borla Ataks, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears, LED Fog Lights, California Special Black Spoiler. Raxiom interior LED dome lights, Raxiom license plate LED lights, blacked out all side and back markers and tail lights.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:30 AM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
What about a staggered set of svt wheels? 19x9.5 in the front and 20x9.5 in the back? Will my speedometer be off? Will it rub?

2013 Red Candy 3.7, MPT Tune, Afraid intake, BBK shortys, BBK mid-pipe w/cats, Borla Ataks, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears, LED Fog Lights, California Special Black Spoiler. Raxiom interior LED dome lights, Raxiom license plate LED lights, blacked out all side and back markers and tail lights.
No and no.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:41 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you sir

Old 02-17-2015, 07:35 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Overall height is what affects the speedo, not width. As long as you are marginally close it won't change the speedo much. One thing I haven't seen posted is that when you get new rims you should remove the retaining washer on the stud. This is something put there at the factory and the stock rims have a grove to fit this piece but aftermarket rims do not. If you don't remove it your rims won't sit flush to the rotor.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:08 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Pretty sure any tire shop can do that?

Old 02-17-2015, 08:13 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
Overall height is what affects the speedo, not width. As long as you are marginally close it won't change the speedo much. One thing I haven't seen posted is that when you get new rims you should remove the retaining washer on the stud. This is something put there at the factory and the stock rims have a grove to fit this piece but aftermarket rims do not. If you don't remove it your rims won't sit flush to the rotor.

Good to know. Thank you!

Old 02-17-2015, 10:54 PM   #23
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post

How does the washer thing work?

efrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:49 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efrain View Post
How does the washer thing work?

Paintmann111 is referring to the brake rotor retainer clips, which are typically put on at the factory only for use going through the assembly line.
Here's what they look like....
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake rotor retainer clips.jpg
Views:	741
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	175700

The OEM rims come with a recess on the back side to accommodate these clips.
An after market rim WITHOUT the recess would not sit flat. So the clips must be removed. They are not really necessary.
Here's a pic of a recess on the back of a rim.(Not a very good one.)
Click image for larger version

Name:	recess on back of rims.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	175702
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:35 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you diehard for explaining it out in details and pics. Thanks for answering my questions everybody (:

Old 02-19-2015, 01:08 AM   #26
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Paintmann111 is referring to the brake rotor retainer clips, which are typically put on at the factory only for use going through the assembly line.

Here's what they look like....

Attachment 175700

The OEM rims come with a recess on the back side to accommodate these clips.

An after market rim WITHOUT the recess would not sit flat. So the clips must be removed. They are not really necessary.

Here's a pic of a recess on the back of a rim.(Not a very good one.)

Attachment 175702

Thanks alot now i understand it better

efrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:42 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

If you use the stock tires that come with the svt wheels you can rub in the front. Are you lowered?
I'm on sr springs. 1.5 in drop all around and I used to rub. I bought the roush steering rack stops to fix the rubbing

Katy Texas
Eric e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:40 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Just updating everyone. I did end up ordering the exact wheel kit I posted in my OP this last Friday. I'm suppose to get them delivered by Tuesday, so hopefully I'll get them on my next day off of work, being this Thursday. I'll post pics once I get them on. Thanks for the advice and help again everyone.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang