3.7 forged internals - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-15-2015, 01:50 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

3.7 forged internals

Is it worth replacing the already forged crank and rods or should I just do my Pistons. I plan on putting on LPMs turbo. As long as the info I have is correct iT sounds like this nine is pretty well equipped already for making some good power. My goal is to make a reliable mid 500 horsepower and torque car that will have some longevity. Or is forging the wrong way to go on eBay used engines for the 3.7 are less than $2,000 should I just drive until my engine goes then buy a new one? Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
2014_MCA_Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2015, 10:54 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I would go for a forged bottom end, and some dished pistons. Super Six Motorsports sells a kit for this engine.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
'I would' save your engine and build the crap out of an used engine off e-bay
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2015, 01:10 PM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
No problem with a 3.7 bottom end with a turbo or SC

Central Florida Motorsports has a few 10 second turbo 3,7 V6's they did running around.
One person I talked to said he never touched the bottom end on his 3.7 V6 and has no problems.
Go to Ford Focus, Mustang and Fiesta Performance Parts & Accessories - CFM Performance for information.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
'I would' save your engine and build the crap out of an used engine off e-bay

Pistons and rods are the only things you need, and head studs.
The stock crank is fine. Just make sure you polish it and balance the rotatng assembly.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:23 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
I would go for a forged bottom end, and some dished pistons. Super Six Motorsports sells a kit for this engine.
Super six sells a stroker kit.
You'd be fine sticking to stock compression, even with boost.
As of now, manley, Diamond, and ssm are the only companies that offer pistons. Manley offers rods, and a forged crank. Ssm offers a 4.0 stroker, and they told me that they have no intentions of offering rods for non-stroker applocations.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:51 PM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Not to shabby to start with.

Ford Mustang 3.7L V6 Engine Explained | A 3.7L V6 Mustang Owner Resource for Modifications and Repairs

3.7 V6 Cyclone is a very strong engine to start with. I would not worry one bit about just sticking a Turbo or Supercharger on this engine. Many people have already done it without any problems I heard of.

From 2011 up, Ford wisely used the same Transmission and 8.8 rear that is in the V8's. Sure ain't going to be a problem there with more power. I do suggest getting the aluminum drive shaft though.

Ronnie
Old 02-15-2015, 10:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Ford Mustang 3.7L V6 Engine Explained | A 3.7L V6 Mustang Owner Resource for Modifications and Repairs

3.7 V6 Cyclone is a very strong engine to start with. I would not worry one bit about just sticking a Turbo or Supercharger on this engine. Many people have already done it without any problems I heard of.

From 2011 up, Ford wisely used the same Transmission and 8.8 rear that is in the V8's. Sure ain't going to be a problem there with more power. I do suggest getting the aluminum drive shaft though.

Ronnie
The tuning on mine was atrocious. It caused me to lose 25% compression in cyl 2. Misfire, not change gears, etc.
If you want more than 550whp, you need 3 things.
1)boost
2)forged pistons (at least, rods will help)
3)a good tune. I can not stress that enough.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:30 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
The tuning on mine was atrocious. It caused me to lose 25% compression in cyl 2. Misfire, not change gears, etc.
If you want more than 550whp, you need 3 things.
1)boost
2)forged pistons (at least, rods will help)
3)a good tune. I can not stress that enough.

MR ALREFIRE how important would you say the tune is 😂 I'm sorry man.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Zombiefro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:00 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
is it worth it to build a 3.7 motor

NO

just my opinion, why? because it cost a lot of money for what you get in the long run..

i just feel that the 3.7 isnt exactly the best platform for building a race car.. thats coming from a guy with a boosted one

2011 Mustang V6 auto/procharger p1sc kit with 3.70 pulley/circle d 3200 stall/4:10 gears/dss aluminum driveshaft/tial q bov/bbk long tubes with catted x pipe/dynomax ultra flo catback/bbk throttle body/accel super coils/cyclone ported upper and lower intake manifolds/brembo front brake kit
INSTAGRAM @2011fastford505
2011fastford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:00 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Yahoo to roushMarlon831
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011fastford View Post

NO

just my opinion, why? because it cost a lot of money for what you get in the long run..

i just feel that the 3.7 isnt exactly the best platform for building a race car.. thats coming from a guy with a boosted one

Guys build Hondas. To me that's a waste of money. Making a 3.7 fast? Now that's impressive.
If you have the money then why not. I would love to hear a 3.7 beat a 5.0. Just makes it that much better

roushMarlon831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:28 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by roushMarlon831 View Post
Guys build Hondas. To me that's a waste of money. Making a 3.7 fast? Now that's impressive.
If you have the money then why not. I would love to hear a 3.7 beat a 5.0. Just makes it that much better

i can tell you right now its cheaper to build a honda then a 3.7 mustang.

i have a procharged 3.7 and it beats stock and some mild bolt on tune 5.0's but we are talking about building motors here and building the 3.7 cyclone inparticular is insanely expensive.. there's a guy on cyclone mustangs who invested over 10k into building his 3.7 and made some like 550+rwhp with the procharger platform

not to mention working with mmr who at the time was the only company making forged internals for this motor is extremely tough a simple google search of them will tell you everything you need to know

i know clamphier is pushing that platform to the limit but not everyone here has access to a shop like him. so those people will have to fork out the coin to have there motors built unless they know how..

2011 Mustang V6 auto/procharger p1sc kit with 3.70 pulley/circle d 3200 stall/4:10 gears/dss aluminum driveshaft/tial q bov/bbk long tubes with catted x pipe/dynomax ultra flo catback/bbk throttle body/accel super coils/cyclone ported upper and lower intake manifolds/brembo front brake kit
Old 02-16-2015, 11:18 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
i can tell you right now its cheaper to build a honda then a 3.7 mustang.

i have a procharged 3.7 and it beats stock and some mild bolt on tune 5.0's but we are talking about building motors here and building the 3.7 cyclone inparticular is insanely expensive.. there's a guy on cyclone mustangs who invested over 10k into building his 3.7 and made some like 550+rwhp with the procharger platform

not to mention working with mmr who at the time was the only company making forged internals for this motor is extremely tough a simple google search of them will tell you everything you need to know

i know clamphier is pushing that platform to the limit but not everyone here has access to a shop like him. so those people will have to fork out the coin to have there motors built unless they know how..
Are you suggesting that your not 100% happy with your procharger setup? I was thinking eventually getting procharged, but so many people have sold theirs and moved onto 5.0s or better performing cars.
R.R.STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 12:11 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiefro View Post

On a scale of 1-10, about a 15

Quote:

NO

1.5k internals, 650 machine work, 300 head studs, 80 bearings, 80 misc bolts 100 misc stuff, and about 200 for your own assembly things,
Not too bad

Old 02-16-2015, 01:25 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiefro View Post

Quote:
On a scale of 1-10, about a 15
You may be understating that rating! Planning to get my replacement engine in the next month. Then start tuning all over again - and not using BBR this time. I'll have more on the tuning when we are ready; working on something special for that.
JimC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

So is the best idea just to use nitrious for the time being and go to a 5.0 when I have the cash. It's funny the kits that make these cars fast are over $5000 but to replace the whole engine it's half that. I already have my care doing 0-60 in less than 5 secs and I fairly happy with the power personally I feel like a mid 500 horsepower car is quite perfect for having a lot of fun. Now days people want as much power a possible and that's just crazy to me I'm not super impressed with how fast your car goes in a straight line I'm More into how fast you can go at the track. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1424115586.149809.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	175529
I went to Las Vegas and raced at the track you could drive any car you wanted and the car I had the most fun in was the 6 cylinder twin turbo GTR. I'm wishing now I just looked harder for a car and maybe bought the GT but with my driving record I don't think I could afford it. Insurance wise.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:44 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Is it best to have custom tuning done for your car, when you get a turbo installed?

Old 02-16-2015, 02:59 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
You may be understating that rating! Planning to get my replacement engine in the next month. Then start tuning all over again - and not using BBR this time. I'll have more on the tuning when we are ready; working on something special for that.
Oh I know.
I popped mine with a crappy tune that made atrocious power. Had issues from day 1.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:00 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014_MCA_Vert View Post
Is it best to have custom tuning done for your car, when you get a turbo installed?

yes. It's not best, it's an absolute must. There is no other way.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:34 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:

That is entirely dependent on the type of racing you do. There are potential classing advantages to NOT using the 5.0 in both time trial and American Iron. In TT, you start a full base class lower, and have a lower minimum weight to work with. In AI, you have a way lower minimum weight, or you can go forced induction, and still have a lower minimum weight, and a more capable car in the corners...

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:40 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014_MCA_Vert View Post
So is the best idea just to use nitrious for the time being and go to a 5.0 when I have the cash. It's funny the kits that make these cars fast are over $5000 but to replace the whole engine it's half that. I already have my care doing 0-60 in less than 5 secs and I fairly happy with the power personally I feel like a mid 500 horsepower car is quite perfect for having a lot of fun. Now days people want as much power a possible and that's just crazy to me I'm not super impressed with how fast your car goes in a straight line I'm More into how fast you can go at the track. Attachment 175529
I went to Las Vegas and raced at the track you could drive any car you wanted and the car I had the most fun in was the 6 cylinder twin turbo GTR. I'm wishing now I just looked harder for a car and maybe bought the GT but with my driving record I don't think I could afford it. Insurance wise.

If your reason to turbo your mustang is based on the GTR I feel like you will be sorely disappointed even if you went with a 5.0.

The GTR is in supercar territory and is one of the best handling cars in the world. You are setting the bar pretty high on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
That is entirely dependent on the type of racing you do. There are potential classing advantages to NOT using the 5.0 in both time trial and American Iron. In TT, you start a full base class lower, and have a lower minimum weight to work with. In AI, you have a way lower minimum weight, or you can go forced induction, and still have a lower minimum weight, and a more capable car in the corners...
Speaking of - I would love to get into autocross. Is the 3.7 mustang relatively competitive? I feel like it very well could be if you are smart about mods and dont bump yourself out of a class.
superblur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:16 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

No what I was trying to say is I had a lot of fun racing around a race track. Going in a straight line is fun but racing in auto cross or any type of racing that challenges the driver and not just the car is what I looking for. The racing experience just really got ,e into the mindset. Trust me I know that the GTR track pack is the only 3400 pound car that can handle and inspire confidence like it does on the track.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:41 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R.STANG View Post
Are you suggesting that your not 100% happy with your procharger setup? I was thinking eventually getting procharged, but so many people have sold theirs and moved onto 5.0s or better performing cars.

no that's not what i'm saying at all, i love my procharger, i'm just saying that the 3.7 platform isnt the most sought after thing to build. And in my personal opinion if your trying to build a fast car it would be easier to go another direction. anything can be fast if you throw enough money at it though.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:55 AM   #24
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Like he said-"

Quote:
anything can be fast if you throw enough money at it
There are a few 3.7 V6 Turbo Mustangs running around Florida that are turning in the ten second range and still drive like a normal car and still get around 23 to 25 MPG combined.
All it takes is $$$$$ and you can have the fast Mustang of your dreams.
I read someplace that a 2015 turbo four was running in the elevens. I don't know how streetable it is but "ELEVENS?" I don't know what mods it has but 11's? "Wow"
Ronnie

Like the old saying "THE ONE WITH THE MOST MONEY _ WINS>
Old 02-17-2015, 02:48 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

A platform is not limited by how much power its engine can make, its limited by how much support it has.

Making 1000 whp is not as simple as a strong motor and a lot of boost, its a very, very, very, complex culmination of parts, tuning, experience, and things many people dont consider. I believe what 2011FastFord is getting at is that you're going to spend a TON of money on building this car, and only have 500-600 whp to show for it.

This is not simply because no one has done it, but because it is incredibly difficult, time consuming, and expensive to pioneer these things, like creating fueling maps for different injectors, getting fuel pump voltages and demands from a dual pump-return style system, scalaing the maf, or replacing it when the current 3.5" gets pegged ... There is a LOT more to this process than just strong motor and big boost.

Personally, i have been involved with a platform that had 0 outside support, anything and everything we did was a result of tuners working on the forums, and collaborating with one another, and we single handedly paved the way for our platform with years and years of hard work and money, and it sucked ... it sucked to just not have a straight, clear cut answer to questions, it sucked to not have off the shelf parts when we ran into a limitation. The shops put their money into the 5.0 because thats where the money is, and the 3.7 gets put on the back burner. If a stock motor will survive to ~500 whp, it makes no sense to do a build for ~550 ... just my .02.

Plus, built motors start having some issues of their own; the looser piston ring gaps can lead to smoking and consuming oil, but you need the looser gaps to handle the heat and expansion under boost. Theres just as many new headaches that come from a built motor as you may feel are being solved. I'd say enjoy what you have and call it a day.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:58 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Plus, built motors start having some issues of their own; the looser piston ring gaps can lead to smoking and consuming oil, but you need the looser gaps to handle the heat and expansion under boost. Theres just as many new headaches that come from a built motor as you may feel are being solved. I'd say enjoy what you have and call it a day.
This is true but from the very limited research I've done Forged 4032 pistons seem to be the best compromise in a daily driver. Sure it may not be as strong as the 2168 pistons but they seem to be able to hold anything a 3.7 could reasonably throw at it.

I wish someone with a firm financial backing would build a proper 3.7 mustang to show what this platform is capable of. Though that is asking alot because if someone had enough money to throw it into a 1000 hp 3.7 then they had enough money to start with the 5.0 in the first place.

It is disheartening that none of the big shops seem to give the 3.7 any credit when it is an amazing engine at the end of the day.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:42 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by superblur View Post
This is true but from the very limited research I've done Forged 4032 pistons seem to be the best compromise in a daily driver. Sure it may not be as strong as the 2168 pistons but they seem to be able to hold anything a 3.7 could reasonably throw at it.

I wish someone with a firm financial backing would build a proper 3.7 mustang to show what this platform is capable of. Though that is asking alot because if someone had enough money to throw it into a 1000 hp 3.7 then they had enough money to start with the 5.0 in the first place.

It is disheartening that none of the big shops seem to give the 3.7 any credit when it is an amazing engine at the end of the day.
What's your definition of a proper 3.7?
Because there are 2 cars running around with built motors. One that'll be up and running and twin turbo'd next month. And 2 rumored to be done before may.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:54 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Just slapping Pistons and rods in a motor, a racecar does not make. I am not trying to discredit the 3.7, but there is far more to the 5.0s making big power than just two extra cylinders. Not saying the 3.7 never can, or will be there, but that it'll be difficult if a privateer Is the one to do it.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:18 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What's your definition of a proper 3.7?
Because there are 2 cars running around with built motors. One that'll be up and running and twin turbo'd next month. And 2 rumored to be done before may.

Proper as in ported heads, ported intakes, cams, possibly lower compression pistons (though I'm still not sure if that matters too much with Ti-vct). The same way shops pour big money into 5.0s.

I've seen builds in progress and I'm patiently waiting to see how they turn out.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:21 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Proper as in ported heads, ported intakes, cams, possibly lower compression pistons (though I'm still not sure if that matters too much with Ti-vct). The same way shops pour big money into 5.0s.

I've seen builds in progress and I'm patiently waiting to see how they turn out.
well in that case, you've got one on the way.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:23 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Thumbs up

Quote:
well in that case, you've got one on the way.
I can't wait
Old 02-17-2015, 10:25 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just slapping Pistons and rods in a motor, a racecar does not make. I am not trying to discredit the 3.7, but there is far more to the 5.0s making big power than just two extra cylinders. Not saying the 3.7 never can, or will be there, but that it'll be difficult if a privateer Is the one to do it.
as a road racer, I'm sure you can understand the benefits of a lighter, better weight distributed car. and judging by SSM's review of the 3.7. it's actually capable of higher revs. The market is there for the 3.7, it's just scattered.

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

Quote:
I can't wait
lol, it's not me
but you can expect to see him soon.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:31 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I'm sure it is capable of higher revs, but will the IM support it? Will it support enough boost through a 2 piece plastic intake? Does someone have a fuel map for enough injector? Does the block have any physical limitations like the 5.0? That's my point, this argument is not about the 3.7 in particular, it's about any car shooting for big power with little support.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:25 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm sure it is capable of higher revs, but will the IM support it? Will it support enough boost through a 2 piece plastic intake? Does someone have a fuel map for enough injector? Does the block have any physical limitations like the 5.0? That's my point, this argument is not about the 3.7 in particular, it's about any car shooting for big power with little support.
I agree, building a car with no aftermarket support would suck. But, I would argue that the 3.7 has a decent aftermarket, just need to know where to look.
I'm going to take a stab at trying to address some of those issues, but relate em to the 3.7.
Several have created their own sheet metal intajes, however, none have been offered at this time to the public (only by special request). The cylinder walls are considered the weak link, however there is a company currently working on the sleeves. Two individual parties are working on developing (or have developed) return style fuel systems.
the aftermarket is there, it's just scattered. You can't order everything you want from one place.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:08 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I haven't been keeping up much with the 3.7, but hell... Sounds like it's further along than I was giving it credit for.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang