Removal of lower grill valance? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-16-2015, 05:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Removal of lower grill valance?

Do I need to completely remove the bumper or can I do something similar to the just yanking out the grill like the main grill. I know tabs hold it so maybe I can just pull it off? I don't really care if the tabs break.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Chaz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2015, 06:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
What year is your car

Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2015, 06:42 PM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz12 View Post
Do I need to completely remove the bumper or can I do something similar to the just yanking out the grill like the main grill. I know tabs hold it so maybe I can just pull it off? I don't really care if the tabs break.

You'll have to take the bumper off to remove the lower grill. Go to AmericanMuscle.com and they have a how-to video on how to take the bumper off. Fairly straight ahead procedure.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:50 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Yeah removal will make things much easier. There are a bunch of tabs. It comes off easy though.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Is this the only way possible? thanks guys
Old 02-16-2015, 07:05 PM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
No, go to CJPonyParts.com for the video. Here's the link Roush 421496 Mustang Grille Lower V6/GT 2013-2014/Boss 2013
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
Old 02-16-2015, 07:17 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Under the front bumper cover there is a panel that goes the width of the bumper cover. Remove the bolt don't remember exactly how many and you can reach almost anything you need. I installed the gt upper and lower grille without removing the bumper cover.

Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:38 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Alright thank you!

Old 02-17-2015, 08:37 AM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
Under the front bumper cover there is a panel that goes the width of the bumper cover. Remove the bolt don't remember exactly how many and you can reach almost anything you need. I installed the gt upper and lower grille without removing the bumper cover.

Exactly, that's what the video from JCPonyParts.com I posted above shows
Old 02-17-2015, 10:46 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Just removed my standard upper & lower grilles by taking off the bottom panel only. If you are careful you can get it done without breaking any of the tabs. The top one came out by the chrome outer. The top inner piece came along for the ride. My replacement black CS grille is on the UPS truck for today.
Bottom one was actually a little more difficult than the top.
Good luck.
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:56 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks!

Old 02-17-2015, 11:24 AM   #13
Admin

Supporter
Admin

You have a beautiful Mustang; you would not want to damage anything by "short cutting" a procedure to remove a part.

Always best to study a procedure, understand it, and follow it to prevent a "disaster".

Besides, that stock part you remove now may be of little worth now, but in a few years, those stock OEM parts can become valuable.

Gotta wonder how many folks that used the "don't care" approach when they removed parts off of their 60's and 70's vehicles...they might have seen that today, those parts would be worth their weight in gold.

My attic has a bunch of 2011 Mustang V6 body parts stashed away. Nobody wants them now, but I'm thinking in about 5 to 10 years, they may get me a hamburger and fries.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:21 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Very agreeable Bucko, I will make sure to take the best approach.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:08 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I agree wholeheartedly. I've been doing my own work on my vehicles a long time, and do in fact look at the big picture and just what is involved before starting anything. I certainly do not think this was a "short cut" or "don't care" attitude.. If I offended someone - I apologize. You have to take the bottom panel off anyway to remove the front bumper cover. Once bottom cover is removed and the car is on a ramp or lifted, you can easily see and reach each clip that holds the bottom grille in. It really isn't to hard to lift the tab with your fingers (no tools) past the catch while pulling from the front with your other hand. Once all the catches are released, the bottom grill is part way out. I just lifted it out from the front. There was NO damage at all to either the upper or lower grill tabs. The replacement I'll be using snaps in the same way the original came out. I will be able to see each tab snap into place the way it should.

I have learned a lot about the S197 platform in recent months on this forum. I was just attempting to share a personal experience that I thought would be helpful to others.
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang