I need help!! please - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-16-2015, 09:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I need help!! please

Alright so i recently had a shop install some lights for me. They are hids with the color changing halos. I had many problems with them and another shop told me the people ghetto rigged the whole wiring to make them "Work". Well today on my way to work i got the warning "Trunk open/Ajar" i pull over and my trunk is closed. I open it and close it and the warning goes away. When i was leaving work, same thing. I try and open the trunk but it wouldn't open. I tried the button by the shifter and the button on the key fob. Well i also noticed my passenger taillight isn't on, but the reverse lights are on. (Im in neutral) i thought maybe the light burned out, but when i lock the car and unlock it they flash on and go back to reverse lights only. My blinkers also do not work for either side on the rear, but the front work. My brake lights also do not work. I drive home as slow as i possibly can. When i get there i open the trunk and lifted the mat, i see that the passenger side wiring is bare like someone messed with them, while the driver side is still covered and fine.

I have had many problems with the shop that installed the lights. The manager/owner(i think) drilled into my radiator cover because he couldn't get it to line up and argued with me when i brought it up. he finally said he was gonna order me a new one but its been a week since that and still no word. I do not want them to touch my car anymore because of everything they have messed up so far. (i think the trunk/rear light thing is because of the install of the new lights. My car was working perfectly fine until then and i hadn't done anything electrical to it in over 2 years.)

What can i do?!?!?! Im so pissed off right now because of this.
Eric e is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2015, 09:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry to hear all that man.
It sounds like you think that all the electrical problems are from them installing the HID headlights. I have put HIDs in my f150 before no problem so it's a little hard to see that install being what's wrong.
But personally I wouldn't go back even to have them fix it, I would take out the HIDs and put the OEM lights back in and see if that fixes anything

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 02-16-2015, 10:09 PM   #3
Kevin.Cook

Also, double check your fuses for the lights and see if everything is still ok. Now on the exposed wiring you found, do you see any splicing done or electric tape? Wondering if wires that shouldnt be touching each other, are touching.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2015, 10:33 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Jeeze, not sure how they effed yours up so badly. When I installed my own it took maybe an hour. The only "custom" work I had to do is mount the relay solenoids and ballasts. The rest was plug and play.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrykid View Post
Sorry to hear all that man.
It sounds like you think that all the electrical problems are from them installing the HID headlights. I have put HIDs in my f150 before no problem so it's a little hard to see that install being what's wrong.
But personally I wouldn't go back even to have them fix it, I would take out the HIDs and put the OEM lights back in and see if that fixes anything

Well they wired them bad. The lights were flickering when I stepped on it. So I took it to a different shop and they said it was the wiring and they fixed it temporarily because I planned on switching lights. The first shop also wired the halos into something so they could turn off with the car. Idk what they wired them into though

Katy Texas
Old 02-16-2015, 10:42 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Also, double check your fuses for the lights and see if everything is still ok. Now on the exposed wiring you found, do you see any splicing done or electric tape? Wondering if wires that shouldnt be touching each other, are touching.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

I will get pictures of it in a bit.

Katy Texas
Old 02-16-2015, 10:43 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Jeeze, not sure how they effed yours up so badly. When I installed my own it took maybe an hour. The only "custom" work I had to do is mount the relay solenoids and ballasts. The rest was plug and play.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Yeah I'm not sure either. I have had so much trouble because of these lights/shop. I'm really tired of it all already

Katy Texas
Old 02-16-2015, 10:47 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
I know this doesn't help....but.

This is why it's best to learn to do this stuff yourself. Google and search forums for the info you need to do the job. The info is out there and most jobs are super easy, like HID's.

I hope you can get this all worked out....
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Oh wow!!!!!!!!!

Not trying to be an a$$ but on youtube there are tons of videos on how to install HIDs and pretty much aby other installation.

I am telling you this because i had some many problems with "installers" before that when I got my mustang I opted to do everything myself.

Good luck and hey you can get a lawyer and sue the installer

Ranger052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:49 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

This is the driver side wiring in the trunk.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1424151223.653876.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	175580

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1424151292.606873.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	175581

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1424151341.902993.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	175582

This is the passenger side

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1424151389.386042.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	175583

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1424151559.136137.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	175584

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1424151592.354786.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	175585

I will try and get a video of what the car is doing tomorrow.

I really haven't messed with anything electrical in the car and didn't want to mess anything up. I regret going to the shop a lot. Wish I could go back and just try myself.

I plan on going to a different shop to get it checked out and see what all is messed up. Or would ford be able to check it for me? Just want to see what is wrong so I know what to say to the shop that messed up

Katy Texas
Old 02-17-2015, 09:05 AM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric e View Post
This is the driver side wiring in the trunk.
Attachment 175580

Attachment 175581

Attachment 175582

This is the passenger side

Attachment 175583

Attachment 175584

Attachment 175585

I will try and get a video of what the car is doing tomorrow.

I really haven't messed with anything electrical in the car and didn't want to mess anything up. I regret going to the shop a lot. Wish I could go back and just try myself.

I plan on going to a different shop to get it checked out and see what all is messed up. Or would ford be able to check it for me? Just want to see what is wrong so I know what to say to the shop that messed up

Katy Texas
Im not sure you could have done any worse than the shop you took it to...

Ford might look at it. They will charge you an arm and a leg though. On the other hand they might not want to mess with some one else's mistake. I would try to get the shop that did this to fix it.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:29 AM   #12
Kevin.Cook

Socal is right. There is a huge chance that Ford may not even touch this. Also, by taking it to them and showing them this, they will likely void whatever warranties may still be in place for whatever hardware that was affected.

For these things, if I cannot google it and do it myself or have the dealer do it, I do not bother. Because you are putting alot on the line by taking this to a mom and pop shop. Warranties and vehicle functionality.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:48 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Well I'm at 60k miles so I don't think I have any warranties left

Should I ask the shop to just take everything they did out and put it back how it was? The manager of it is a pain to deal with. He thinks because he's "been doing this for 10+ years" that he doesn't mess up. When he drilled into my radiator cover(he couldn't get the bumper and cover to line up so he drilled into it with out asking me first.), he kept saying that nobody has ever complained about it to him before and kept arguing.

Also, whoever wired the lights up and put them in left stuff bad. They didn't put the screws that hold the bumper back. They only put 2 screws for the lights even though there were 3 for each light, so they wobbled a bit. They put 2 screws for the splash guard even though it had all of them. They left my side marker bulbs out just hanging inside the bumper. When I went back to see why, they said I was missing all of it already, but later admitted to not putting them and throwing all the screws and push tabs away

Katy Texas
Old 02-17-2015, 09:52 AM   #14
Kevin.Cook

This is actually on a free attorney website: What can I do if an auto repair shop messed up my car? DC Consumer and Lemon Law

Since it appears the the automotive repair shop is ignoring you with respect to the problems with your car and its inability to be repaired, you have the following options:
1. contact your state's bureau of automotive repair and make a complaint against this particular repair facility. This entity is in charge of fielding consumer complaints and investigating bad conduct by licensed automotive repair facilities;
2. consult with an attorney that practices in the area of consumer law to assist you in your matter and give you guidance concerning your legal recourse.

Even though that person's issue is different, the same rules would apply for your situation.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:57 AM   #15
Kevin.Cook

If you cannot get the item fixed and going the legal route isn't working, I see 1 of two options.

Come clean with your local Ford dealer and see what they have to say or offer.

OR

Remove the aftermarket lights. Trade the car in. Plain and simple. If they ask about wiring, do not say anything. Just say IF they ask, in your area, sometimes cars get vandalized.

If you choose option 1, you cannot do option 2. On the other hand, if you go with option 2 first and they say you cannot trade and they mention wiring, then you can go option 1 and ask what they would recommend.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:14 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you cannot get the item fixed and going the legal route isn't working, I see 1 of two options.

OR

Remove the aftermarket lights. Trade the car in. Plain and simple. If they ask about wiring, do not say anything. Just say IF they ask, in your area, sometimes cars get vandalized.

If you choose option 1, you cannot do option 2. On the other hand, if you go with option 2 first and they say you cannot trade and they mention wiring, then you can go option 1 and ask what they would recommend.

Alright I'll see if they are willing to fix or pay to have it fixed. If not I will get in contact with an attorney and see what else I can do. Thank you for your advise.

Katy Texas
Old 02-17-2015, 10:31 AM   #17
Kevin.Cook

Sounds good. Yea basic warranties end at 60k miles. Did you happen to purchase any extended coverages when you got your car?
Old 02-17-2015, 10:38 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sounds good. Yea basic warranties end at 60k miles. Did you happen to purchase any extended coverages when you got your car?

No I think the only extra thing I got was gap

Katy Texas
Old 02-17-2015, 10:46 AM   #19
Kevin.Cook

Ok you should be good then. Now keep in mind, lawyers are not cheap. So make sure you check around on their consulting per hour fees if they have them.

These things can also eat up alot of your time. So go prepared. Take lots of detailed pictures. If you got copies of receipts and work orders, take those as well.

Usually what I do when contacting shops, I email them and get everything in writing if possible. This leaves a paper trail. It may be cold as far as the shop is concerned, us as consumers have to protect ourselves as well.

Good Luck with everything.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:50 AM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Just remember when dealing with these people...you can catch more flies with honey...
Old 02-17-2015, 11:01 AM   #21
Kevin.Cook

Eric, in other words. Being nice goes a long way.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:04 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Eric, in other words. Being nice goes a long way.

Yeah so far I have been cool with them. Haven't gone off on them except when the manager argued with me about the drilling but even then I was calm. I have to wait until Thursday to go talk to them

I'll let yall know how it goes lol

Katy Texas
Old 02-17-2015, 11:07 AM   #23
Kevin.Cook

Now just curious, in case something grounded bad in the car. Have you tried disconnecting your battery for about an hour to see if the electrical problems went away?
Old 02-17-2015, 11:11 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I need help!! please

Old 02-17-2015, 11:13 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Now just curious, in case something grounded bad in the car. Have you tried disconnecting your battery for about an hour to see if the electrical problems went away?

No I haven't. I had to come to work early and won't be back til late. I am using my sisters car today. I will check that later though!

Katy Texas
Old 02-17-2015, 11:18 AM   #26
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I can understand your frustration, and complete lack of trust in having that same shop fix the problem that they have caused.

However, if you do nothing, they win, as they got their payment, and you got lousy results. If anything, a call to the local BBB in your area and post a complaint. I would try one more calm meeting with them, and let them know the continuing electrical problems you are seeing from a result of their work (assuming you can prove this).

I hope it works out for you, but by no means should you let them off the hook without some sort of complaint filling.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:21 AM   #27
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:

OR

option 3 involves a baseball bat.

on a serious note: I would go talk to them and try for final resolution, if that fails small claims court and/or the BBB. Is it possible for you to stop payment sometimes with a check or CC you can. Document everything (esp names/times) if you intend to pursue this legally. Good luck
Old 02-17-2015, 12:03 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I can understand your frustration, and complete lack of trust in having that same shop fix the problem that they have caused.

However, if you do nothing, they win, as they got their payment, and you got lousy results. If anything, a call to the local BBB in your area and post a complaint. I would try one more calm meeting with them, and let them know the continuing electrical problems you are seeing from a result of their work (assuming you can prove this).

I hope it works out for you, but by no means should you let them off the hook without some sort of complaint filling.

Yeah there is no way I'm gonna let them off the hook

Katy Texas
Old 02-17-2015, 12:15 PM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

Heres another way to get their attention. I know this works because Ive had to do it...

Did you pay with a credit card? If so dispute the charge. They will put the money on hold until you're satisfied and tell them to release the money. This is a completely legit way to get them to fix it. If they don't you get your money back
Old 02-17-2015, 12:19 PM   #30
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Heres another way to get their attention. I know this works because Ive had to do it...

Did you pay with a credit card? If so dispute the charge. They will put the money on hold until you're satisfied and tell them to release the money. This is a completely legit way to get them to fix it. If they don't you get your money back
^^^ Excellent ^^^

Here's hoping he paid with a card, in order to dispute the charges.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:33 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I need help!! please

I did

How long do I have to do that? It's been a little over a week

Katy Texas
Old 02-17-2015, 12:50 PM   #32
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric e View Post
I did

How long do I have to do that? It's been a little over a week

Katy Texas

I believe 30 days. Call up your CC company and tell them what happened. Be honest and tell them everything. Make sure to also tell them not only did they do it wrong, but they also caused more damage. Call today...maybe right now.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:07 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So I tried this but it did the same thing once I plugged it in

Katy Texas
Old 02-19-2015, 07:09 AM   #34
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
as far as stopping payment with card I BELIEVE you can only do it when you are xxx miles away (ie traveling but idk)
Old 02-19-2015, 03:51 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Update:
I went to the shop and tried talking to the owner. I asked them about it and they said they never touched the trunk. The owner started getting mad and said I was making stuff up. He said I could watch the video and see they never touched it but when I said yes I wanted to see it, he immediately back pedaled and said he wasn't gonna show me. He told me "don't get me mad, bro" and ended it with saying go ahead and sue me. So I've called my bank and I made a claim. I am now at a different shop having them look at it all. The guy here is shocked that the other shop was doing business that way.

So anyone know any good lawyers in Houston?

Also how do I go about contacting the bbb?

Katy Texas

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang