Getting Hood Vents installed - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-17-2015, 12:48 PM   #1
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Getting Hood Vents installed

Dropping my car off in the next few hours at Annilihator Customs here in Austin, TX. They will be putting my car under the blade to get a set of Mustang GT Hood Vents installed. Very excited for this because with parts and labor, I am spending $350. It may look a little different then a GT hood with the vents, but for that price, it is a bargain.

Annihilator did my GT500 spoiler a while back and the work was excellent. And they charged less then $100 for the labor on that as well (Drilled the holes also).

I will be picking up the car tomorrow night once it is done.

Maybe this will inspire more V6s to get the vents should the owners want them. $350 seems like a decent price imo.

On a side note, thanks to this person for putting all of the needed info and pics up on the internet. I would not have tried to get this done without it:

2013 v6 with hood vents *PIC HEAVY* - MustangForums.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150213_175329_resized.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	853.4 KB
ID:	175622  
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-17-2015, 12:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
jonyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Sunnyvale,CA
Region: California
Posts: 232
I've been debating this but I'm not sure there's many shops in my area I would trust. I've also been contemplating between the gt500 hood but a lot cost around 650 to 850 which at that point I'd just go with a bmc black mamba hood and look legit.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2014 V6 Performance Package Sterling Grey
MPT Tuned.
Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Headers, Borla S-types, Stubby Antenna, JLT Catch Can, MMD hood struts, GT500 spoiler, Oracle Halos on GT Grille, Dynotech One piece Aluminum Driveshaft.
jonyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:59 PM   #3
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Yea unfortunately, most shops that do these kinds of things are local mom and pop places. Best way to test them, besides reading lots of reviews and checking out their website, is to take your car in for a small task. See how well they do and go from there.

Yea I agree on the Shelby Hood. I like their vents alot better. But I wanna get the BBK throttle body so had to compromise a little. I feel these vents will go well with the Brembo wheels this weekend. Loving that GT Grille you have. Idk if I would add it to my car. Between the vents and wheels, people may mistake me for a GT

On a side note, seems we have similar cars.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-17-2015, 01:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Countrykid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mcallen
Region: Texas
Posts: 76
I used to take my f-150 to Annihilator to get custom stuff done when I lived in Dripping Springs. hope it comes out looking good!
Pics afterwards would be awesome 👍


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
__________________
[/SIGPIC]Ford racing rear axle with 3.73 gears. Airaid CAI. Bama custom performance tune. Borla ATAK axleback exhaust
Countrykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:14 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular
 
Socal Stangman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Temecula Ca.
Region: California
Posts: 1,872
Youre lucky to find a place that even does this. I would have to guess most places would never even a touch a job like this.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:19 PM   #6
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Yea I am going to ask if they can also take pics during the install.

Socal: As long as I can provide decent info on how to do the project, usually they are willing to do it (As long as it's ethical and not changing speedometers) lol.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:25 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular
 
Socal Stangman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Temecula Ca.
Region: California
Posts: 1,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Yea I am going to ask if they can also take pics during the install.

Socal: As long as I can provide decent info on how to do the project, usually they are willing to do it (As long as it's ethical and not changing speedometers) lol.

Thats cool. Its nice to have access to shop that will do work like this. Where I live, not a chance in hell. I had a 97 Mustang GT vert and I wanted to install a styling bar, no one would even touch it. They said they didnt want the liability since its not a real roll bar. I had to drive over 100 miles one way to get it installed.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:27 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 198
I live in austin tx might give them a try!


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
efrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Dropping my car off in the next few hours at Annilihator Customs here in Austin, TX. They will be putting my car under the blade to get a set of Mustang GT Hood Vents installed. Very excited for this because with parts and labor, I am spending $350. It may look a little different then a GT hood with the vents, but for that price, it is a bargain.

Annihilator did my GT500 spoiler a while back and the work was excellent. And they charged less then $100 for the labor on that as well (Drilled the holes also).

I will be picking up the car tomorrow night once it is done.

Maybe this will inspire more V6s to get the vents should the owners want them. $350 seems like a decent price imo.

On a side note, thanks to this person for putting all of the needed info and pics up on the internet. I would not have tried to get this done without it:

2013 v6 with hood vents *PIC HEAVY* - MustangForums.com
Very cool! I don't know of anywhere around here that would do this. Can't wait to see the pics!!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:52 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
jonyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Sunnyvale,CA
Region: California
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Yea unfortunately, most shops that do these kinds of things are local mom and pop places. Best way to test them, besides reading lots of reviews and checking out their website, is to take your car in for a small task. See how well they do and go from there.

Yea I agree on the Shelby Hood. I like their vents alot better. But I wanna get the BBK throttle body so had to compromise a little. I feel these vents will go well with the Brembo wheels this weekend. Loving that GT Grille you have. Idk if I would add it to my car. Between the vents and wheels, people may mistake me for a GT

On a side note, seems we have similar cars.
Haha yeah with my Borla, cai, and tuner it's pretty deep and a lot of non mustang folk think it's a gt. But it doesn't matter if they think it is or if they think it's a "knockoff" it's your car and if you enjoy how it looks that's what matters.

But like others have mentioned you are really lucky to have a place like this. I looked all over for a place to simply install my spoiler. I didn't have holes drilled and Noone would touch it for under $225. So I bought some good drill bits and did it myself haha.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2014 V6 Performance Package Sterling Grey
MPT Tuned.
Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Headers, Borla S-types, Stubby Antenna, JLT Catch Can, MMD hood struts, GT500 spoiler, Oracle Halos on GT Grille, Dynotech One piece Aluminum Driveshaft.
jonyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:53 PM   #11
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyou View Post
Haha yeah with my Borla, cai, and tuner it's pretty deep and a lot of non mustang folk think it's a gt. But it doesn't matter if they think it is or if they think it's a "knockoff" it's your car and if you enjoy how it looks that's what matters.

But like others have mentioned you are really lucky to have a place like this. I looked all over for a place to simply install my spoiler. I didn't have holes drilled and Noone would touch it for under $225. So I bought some good drill bits and did it myself haha.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

You definitely 1 up'd me here. I couldn't drill the holes. If one was off even the slightest, no take backs
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black8thElement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,117
I still have mine in the box...i afraid to cut that hood

Sent from my LG-E980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:22 PM   #13
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Take vaca and come down to Austin to hit up Annihilator! lol
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:29 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eric e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 473
Or trade hoods with someone like I did
Gotta admit I got lucky on this trade

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1424212101.590766.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	175625





Katy Texas
Eric e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:33 PM   #15
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Definitely. Very rare to find a plain 13/14 Sterling Grey GT hood for a good price. Usually there is either something on the hood or you gotta pay out of the ear for it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:44 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eric e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Definitely. Very rare to find a plain 13/14 Sterling Grey GT hood for a good price. Usually there is either something on the hood or you gotta pay out of the ear for it.

Yeah! I've seen a couple on Craigslist but in black



Katy Texas
Eric e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:51 PM   #17
VIG
Registered Member
Regular
 
VIG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wilmington
Region: Delaware
Posts: 1,238
Yeah, I've been searching for an ingot silver hood, but all is found were black ones. I just really don't feel like going through the hassle of getting it painted and all of that.

Really excited to see how this comes out.
__________________
IG: workshardplayshard
VIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:02 PM   #18
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
VIG: yea easier to buy the vents and get a shop to install them. Alot cheaper too.

Just dropped my baby off. Roy at annihilator said they shouldnt have any problems. They have done alot of custom vents so that made me feel better.

He said he will take pics during the install also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:17 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Vystrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: South Texas
Region: Texas
Posts: 116
I'm pretty sure the 11-12's need a new hood, I never seen vents on the stock "power dome" hood.
Black vents will look sick on your 14
__________________
2011 3.7L Ingot Silver
Vystrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:25 PM   #20
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Yea and idk if the 13/14 hoods fit the 11/12.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:28 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eric e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 473
They do if you swap everything out. Bumper, radiator cover and support, splash guard and the lights get in the way a bit and won't let it sit perfectly flush



Katy Texas
Eric e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:33 PM   #22
VIG
Registered Member
Regular
 
VIG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wilmington
Region: Delaware
Posts: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vystrel View Post
I'm pretty sure the 11-12's need a new hood, I never seen vents on the stock "power dome" hood.
Black vents will look sick on your 14

Yeah, the 11-12s use different hoods than the 13-14s.

Neither the 11-12 V6 or GT had hood vents. In the 13-14s only the GT have the vents.
__________________
IG: workshardplayshard
VIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:03 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Vystrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: South Texas
Region: Texas
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
Yeah, the 11-12s use different hoods than the 13-14s.

Neither the 11-12 V6 or GT had hood vents. In the 13-14s only the GT have the vents.
That's what i thought. On the 11-12 there are a lot of curves on the hood, which I like, but that pretty much means no vents. The 13-14 V6 hood should be the same as the GT's minus the vents, so I imagine if they place the vents where they would go on GT's it should all be good
__________________
2011 3.7L Ingot Silver
Vystrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:10 PM   #24
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Yup. And we noticed on the heat blanket under the hood, you can see there is plenty off room for the vents to sit inside on the 13/14.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:24 PM   #25
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Just got a call from Annihilator. They said the install was a success and the vents look really good. I will be picking it up in a few hours because I am waiting for transportation.

Roy from Annihilator said he was gonna send me some pics of the install so I will post those as soon as I get them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:47 PM   #26
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Just got my car back. Looks good. I had Annihilator leave part of the heat blanket on the drivers side to shield water from getting into the intake. Lemme know what yall think!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1424303135363.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	175689   Click image for larger version

Name:	1424303155646.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	175690  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1424303168113.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	175691   Click image for larger version

Name:	1424303181711.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	175692  

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:55 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
DiESeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Richmond
Region: Virginia
Posts: 1,909
Is now a good time to tell you that they're crooked?




just kidding!
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:11 PM   #28
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 8
Looks nice man good job

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Musty20s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:10 PM   #29
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I was about to say...

They are sitting in the holes where the GT has them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:54 PM   #30
Registered Member

Regular
 
JimC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vystrel View Post
I'm pretty sure the 11-12's need a new hood, I never seen vents on the stock "power dome" hood.
Black vents will look sick on your 14
Shop High Performance Custom Car Parts Online | MRT
For the 2012 SEMA show MRT did the MRT-TKO and added hood vents. I don't know if they knew of the 2013 plan for hood vents, but they did it on the 2012 hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Yea and idk if the 13/14 hoods fit the 11/12.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
Yeah, the 11-12s use different hoods than the 13-14s.

Neither the 11-12 V6 or GT had hood vents. In the 13-14s only the GT have the vents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vystrel View Post
That's what i thought. On the 11-12 there are a lot of curves on the hood, which I like, but that pretty much means no vents. The 13-14 V6 hood should be the same as the GT's minus the vents, so I imagine if they place the vents where they would go on GT's it should all be good
The 2011-12 and 2013-14 are not interchangeable. The front fascia on the 2013-14 has a lip that the 2011-12 doesn't have. But if you look at the MRT link you can see it is possible to put vents in the 2011-12 hood. They aren't the same as the 2013-14 vents, and I bet a call to MRT would get you the information for where they sourced them. I don't think that they built them in house for a one-off, but rather they sourced them from an existing car.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:17 PM   #31
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular
 
au01st's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Alexandria
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 869
They look great!
__________________
Have a Raxiom nav system? Hate having two antennas? Contact me to wire your nav thru your factory satellite radio antenna!

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:13 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
Cooolbreeez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Arizona
Region: Arizona
Posts: 789
Those came out good! Am I the only one that noticed that sweet ride in the background with the bud light logo?
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:15 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
Cooolbreeez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Arizona
Region: Arizona
Posts: 789
Are you at all worried that since you didn't cut the heat shield completely that water will get underneath it and ruin it eventually?
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:08 AM   #34
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Not at the moment. If i opened it up all the way, the water would get to the intake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 07:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 AM ----------

Lol. That car on 22s!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:29 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
13StangVizion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: DFW
Region: Texas
Posts: 35
Wow! I live in Ft Worth...I will have to give them a try some day.
13StangVizion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Filter getting wet they hood vents WhiteCali5oh 2011-2014 Mustang GT 15 11-28-2014 05:41 PM
Trufiber vents installed Mikeyt03 2011-2014 Mustang GT 16 03-28-2013 12:35 PM
Opinions needed on hood vents PureVenom Mustang Audio & Video 20 11-30-2006 05:15 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



10:07 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.