Tuning Does it void your warranty - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-17-2015, 08:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Tuning Does it void your warranty

The dealer said " anything that affected the problem thats aftermarket voids you warranty " some one shed some light on this and warranty wars because i want too trade in my 3.7 sooner or later

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolutions ~ Stawk
3Point7 HTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2015, 08:37 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Point7 HTx View Post
The dealer said " anything that affected the problem thats aftermarket voids you warranty " some one shed some light on this and warranty wars because i want too trade in my 3.7 sooner or later

They would have to figure out that the tune did in fact lead or contribute to whatever problem happened

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:58 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
You would have to prove that the tune didn't cause the issue if one arises. Being that it affects your entire ECU it pretty much means anything that goes wrong with the engine you are SOL.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2015, 09:04 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
You would have to prove that the tune didn't cause the issue if one arises. Being that it affects your entire ECU it pretty much means anything that goes wrong with the engine you are SOL.
Exactly. The dealer can pretty much connect it to any problem if they try hard enough

Old 02-17-2015, 09:13 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

If you tune your car and the tranny blows up they'll fix it. If you tune it and start having engine problems, now you will run into issues.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:14 PM   #6
Kevin.Cook

I believe by the time people tune their car, the car is either out of warranty by then, or the owner doesn't care if anything goes wrong because they can either afford the repairs, or they know someone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-17-2015, 09:16 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
If you tune your car and the tranny blows up they'll fix it. If you tune it and start having engine problems, now you will run into issues.
I don't think it is that cut and dry. They could argue that different shift points and added power led to the transmission failure

Old 02-17-2015, 09:17 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
I believe by the time people tune their car, the car is either out of warranty by then, or the owner doesn't care if anything goes wrong because they can either afford the repairs, or they know someone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Mine is more like... "Well, **** it. Let us hope nothing goes wrong!" with none of the above quote applying lol.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:18 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
I don't think it is that cut and dry. They could argue that different shift points and added power led to the transmission failure

Well yes that's true too. Bottom line is that if you're worried about your warranty, don't tune it.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:19 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Well yes that's true too. Bottom line is that if you're worried about your warranty, don't tune it.
This is the absolute bottom line. Op should heed these words.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:51 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Hmmm ill save up a lil more then cuz i wanted too tune an throw on 3.73's but thanx guys

Old 02-18-2015, 07:18 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Sit and talk to your dealer on where they stand on tuning.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:52 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
It's so very dealer specific. My dealer will sell, install and even cover aftermarket parts under the ford warranty. Generally these are Roush and ford racing parts. If Roush or FRPP offers a tune they will do it, I believe the ST and F150 both have tunes you can get from Roush. But they specifically told me, any tunes like Bama would not be covered. This is just my dealer, some dealers won't even go this far, some dealers could care less and may even help you get warranty work even though you've explicitly voided any warranty you might have.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:44 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Hmmm ill save up a lil more then cuz i wanted too tune an throw on 3.73's but thanx guys

Old 02-18-2015, 09:49 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I believe that Bama stated that if something where to go wrong for whatever reason and it was their fault, then they will cover the repairs.

Sent from my SCH-R970C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Christian_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:56 AM   #16
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysh View Post
It's so very dealer specific. My dealer will sell, install and even cover aftermarket parts under the ford warranty. Generally these are Roush and ford racing parts. If Roush or FRPP offers a tune they will do it, I believe the ST and F150 both have tunes you can get from Roush. But they specifically told me, any tunes like Bama would not be covered. This is just my dealer, some dealers won't even go this far, some dealers could care less and may even help you get warranty work even though you've explicitly voided any warranty you might have.
We always recommend that you work with a local Service Manager to determine what they find to be acceptable or not acceptable on your car. If you call around and talk to different dealers, as you mentioned above, you'll get different answers. As long as you're open and honest with them, you'll probably find a dealer that will work with you. It's just important to note that they are only going to be responsible (per the Magnuson Moss warranty act) to cover things that are not directly linked to performance mods. For example, if you head to the dealer and you have a TSB - your mods shouldn't affect that. If you have some crazy interior rattle, your mods shouldn't affect that either.

I agree with everything you're saying - any aftermarket tune will cause issues if you're expecting Ford to cover a wear-item or something that could be linked to aftermarket performance parts. However, many of Bama's customers have had 100k+ miles on their custom tunes and warranty work performed without any issues or mentions of their performance mods and tuning.

It's a grey area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_E View Post
I believe that Bama stated that if something where to go wrong for whatever reason and it was their fault, then they will cover the repairs.
Christian,

I stand behind Bama's tuning abilities and so do they. In the event that one of our customers running a Bama tune were to have any trouble, I'm only a PM away. Bama does have a warranty for Cylinder #8 issues that seemed to only affect early 5.0L Coyotes with aftermarket tunes. This also was reported on a few stock Mustangs. However, other than that there are very few issues with tens of thousands of people running Bama tunes on their warrantied vehicle. I would also cite the Magnuson Moss warranty act that helps protect consumers who have issues that are not caused by aftermarket mods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

All of that being said, a good custom tune from the team over at Bama will utilize all of the factory logic so that your vehicle will pull timing, add fuel, close throttle, etc. in the event that it needs to. Bama's tunes will find power that is left on the table, but will not turn off necessary parameters for safety. Even on their V2 Race Tunes which they purpose-built for the track (or for the insanely spirited driver), the factory fail-safes all remain. You'll be in good hands!

If anyone has any questions don't hesitate to let me know and I'm here to help!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:24 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
So what performance mods are generally "safe" with keeping a warranty intact?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
aleXXXps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:33 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
None
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:37 AM   #19
Kevin.Cook

No easy way to answer this. This is subjective to how your local dealer feels about mods. Here is my local dealer on cold air intakes:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAI - Warranty.PNG
Views:	317
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	175664  
Old 02-18-2015, 10:49 AM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Subjective is the best word to describe dealers. Ive said this before, but even putting 20's on your car could void some of the warranty. If they can prove the added weight of the wheel/tire caused damage to a particular part of the car, they will not cover it. My service adviser told me about this. Like he said, it would almost never happen, but it could and it is a possibility.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:00 AM   #21
Kevin.Cook

Best to ask your local ford dealer. That is the most clear way of figuring this out.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:15 AM   #22
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
+1 on having a relationship with your dealer...that being said if they tell you they are ok with tunes I'll bet a beverage they won't put it in writing. Be honest with them and see what they say. My dealer is ok with what I call non-performance bits (axle backs/intakes) but I wouldn't expect them to cover engine work if it was tuned but I never asked them that.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:44 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Your right they won't, I tried lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:45 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I had a shop add window tint and a 2 way remote start to my Mustang, but now I'm getting the performance itch. I take my warranty seriously, though, and really don't want to mess it up.

Maybe I'll just wait until I hit 100k miles and the warranty is up. Then I'll go mod crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
aleXXXps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:45 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I put a FRPP blower on mine myself and local dealer covered random misfire/bad cats under warranty. So it depends! Supposedly the dealer can now tell if software has been loaded, even if you return to stock. FRPP tune good and warranty good, but doesn't support other changes like aftermarket tunes do.
Cobrakit is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang