Procharger advice needed - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-19-2015, 11:09 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Procharger advice needed

Hey guys....I am installing a procharger on my 3.7 with 45k miles after I maxed out on power with NA. I have full stock internals though...I am having the procharger installed by a great shop here in Southern CA and it will be dyno tuned...he has done many supercharger tunings but not on a cyclone.

Looking to run 8psi-9psi boost (as procharger sets for stock) using a 3.70 pulley (to makeup for lost boost with my ported intakes...).

My question is, can the cyclone internals handle this ? Can this motor handle a procharger safely ?

Any advice is greatly appreciated...

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
grom80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2015, 11:30 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

I think it should take 8lbs of boost no problem. Hopefully they know how to tune, that will be a big factor.

Where in Socal do you get this done?
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I have a friend who is an engineer at Procharger in KC. A while ago I asked him about their V6 blower and he said that the engine can handle the recommended boost but you should get a better driveshaft.
derklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2015, 02:58 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

In Los Angeles there's a pretty good shop called Swanson performance. If it's not too far I'll say to check it out for comparison

sunnytan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
You need to understand that boost does not equal power, boost is simply a measure of restriction between your cylinder head and compressor. Just because your ported manifolds may lower your boost, that does not mean they have lowered your overall airflow, and airflow is what makes power. Just saying " I want to run 8 psi to be safe" is not really a true or accurate statement. Shoot for a whp goal, not a boost goal, boost can be deceiving.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:15 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by grom80 View Post
Hey guys....I am installing a procharger on my 3.7 with 45k miles after I maxed out on power with NA. I have full stock internals though...I am having the procharger installed by a great shop here in Southern CA and it will be dyno tuned...he has done many supercharger tunings but not on a cyclone.

Looking to run 8psi-9psi boost (as procharger sets for stock) using a 3.70 pulley (to makeup for lost boost with my ported intakes...).

My question is, can the cyclone internals handle this ? Can this motor handle a procharger safely ?

Any advice is greatly appreciated...

Our cyclone engines can easily and safely handle 500 plus rwhp as long as you have a good quality tune. That's the key. All in the tune.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Hey man...Danny Swanson at SWANSON PERFORMANCE in Torrance...they did everything on my car including multiple dyno tunes and everything is wokring great, car performs awesome and never any issues with them. I always see supercharged mustangs there getting tuned...not many 3.7's of course, but few build / develop the V6.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnytan06 View Post
In Los Angeles there's a pretty good shop called Swanson performance. If it's not too far I'll say to check it out for comparison

That's exactly where I get all my stuff done...Danny and Joel are AWESOME. Theya re the ones doing my procharger Monday...
Old 02-19-2015, 07:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
You need to understand that boost does not equal power, boost is simply a measure of restriction between your cylinder head and compressor. Just because your ported manifolds may lower your boost, that does not mean they have lowered your overall airflow, and airflow is what makes power. Just saying " I want to run 8 psi to be safe" is not really a true or accurate statement. Shoot for a whp goal, not a boost goal, boost can be deceiving.
Hey Volt...so what RWHP is safe for stock internals then ? I have a 3.70 pulley to play with...
Old 02-19-2015, 07:17 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by grom80 View Post
Hey Volt...so what RWHP is safe for stock internals then ? I have a 3.70 pulley to play with...

Lol, sadly to avoid liability, i'm going to have to give you another roundabout answer, because the answer is in fact: "it depends."

Depends on how the dyno reads, is it high reading, low reading? Depends on the tune, depends on your driving, maintenance, upkeep, yada yada. Honestly, Procharger's kit out of the box is advertised at right about 450 whp right? I'd say that's a pretty safe figure to shoot for an an "average" reading dyno.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:19 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Lol, sadly to avoid liability, i'm going to have to give you another roundabout answer, because the answer is in fact: "it depends."

Depends on how the dyno reads, is it high reading, low reading? Depends on the tune, depends on your driving, maintenance, upkeep, yada yada. Honestly, Procharger's kit out of the box is advertised at right about 450 whp right? I'd say that's a pretty safe figure to shoot for an an "average" reading dyno.
They advertise at 475hp...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang