JLT Cold Air Intake - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-20-2015, 11:01 AM   #1
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
JLT Cold Air Intake

Someone is selling a JLT cold air intake around me for a pretty decent price.

I am one of the biggest skeptics when it comes to cold air intakes with this car because I feel that none of the designs I have seen utilize more cool outside air than the stock system. But after doing some research, JLT has dyno numbers claiming about +10 hp and +10 tq.

So what I'm thinking about doing is buying this intake and taking it to the track and doing some runs with the stock intake vs the JLT intake.

Can't wait for the track to open back up for a test and tune. I also have a thread about comparing different tunes at the track, but I wasn't able to get any runs in due to weather before it closed for the season.

Perhaps I'll be eating my words?
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2015, 11:10 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
what, did you find this for like 50 bucks or something over here in NJ??

if anything, at least it'll look and sound cooler than stock, even if no gains. take pics.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:11 AM   #3
Kevin.Cook

Perhaps If I could go back, I would have just bought a drop-in filter for my stock intake. Crazy how efficient they are. I am hoping someone will get some real numbers from the BB Throttle Body for the v6 vs standard with a CAI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2015, 11:41 AM   #4
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
what, did you find this for like 50 bucks or something over here in NJ??

if anything, at least it'll look and sound cooler than stock, even if no gains. take pics.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.

Lol if you happen to see my car parked at your neighbor's house, it's not me!! Haha
Old 02-20-2015, 11:59 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I was contemplating about a CAI for a long time, researched the s*** out of it. If the decent ones were around $150 I probably would have bought one, but I just don't see the justification for paying $300+. I run a tune and what held me back was a video where they said that the gains from a CAI and a tune don't add up. So I thought: why spend $300+ just for a sucking sound? (for the looks...how often do you look under your hood?) I finally went with a drop-in AEM Dryflow-Airfilter for $38 and imagine it does a small improvement on throttle response. Or maybe I am just thinking: since I spent some money, there has to be a gain somehow lol
derklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:24 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
A lot of times an intake helps in the "around town" department, part throttle, throttle response, throttle "crispness" if you will. These are things that wont show up on a dyno, but can certainly impact the "seat of the pants" feel of the car. That is what you have to decide if you want to spend your money on.
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Very interesting, keep us posted on "real world" results. I'm a new Mustang (14 SGM V6 vert) owner. I bit. As my first "mod" bought an Airaid CAI. Yes it looked and sounded good, BUT the air box fits under the inner fender lip and in a hard rain or car wash (by hand) water runs down the fender lip and into the air box. Granted not much water at all and it really won't stay in the airbox at as the water could run down the intake that connects to the factory grommet along side the radiator. I fixed the water dripping in the airbox with a 96 cent Walmart baking pan .
My real issue is I live in FL & when I got the car in Sept temps were 90 & often more. When in heavy stop/go traffic my air intake temp was as high as 140 -145. When speed reached 40 or more IAT came back down, but slowly. Once 50+ IAT was at ambient. I guess if it wasn't for having the IAT guage, it wouldn't bother me. I took my Airaid off and went with an AFE drop in with the stock intake tube for now. With cool weather, have been tempted to put the Airaid back on for a while.
Also have read articles from so call "fluid dynamic" engineers that state all those boxes and warts on the factory intake tube really do perform a function. In addition to quieting the intake, they actually do allow for a smoother airflow into the engine.
On our V6 Mustangs, the closed top airbox really is a "cold air" intake. It draws ALL its air from in front of the radiator. The open top Airaid even with the "seal" draws engine compartment air. Guess it would take a controlled condition dyno to compare for real. With a tune, they really may provide some increased power, but I'm just not going to go there.
Again - thanks for the input and I look fwd to your results.
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:56 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I've had the airaid and c&l both looked and sounded great but the oem felt like it performed better than both of them
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:26 PM   #9
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree43 View Post
Also have read articles from so call "fluid dynamic" engineers that state all those boxes and warts on the factory intake tube really do perform a function. In addition to quieting the intake, they actually do allow for a smoother airflow into the engine.

I read this somewhere too, and it does makes sense. Having to do with pulses and harmonics. I would love to know more about this actually.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:45 AM   #10
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

JLT Cold Air Intake

After a little research I found these articles about the function of resonators on intakes. Pretty interesting actually.

Figured I'd post these up in case anyone else was interested.

http://worldtuningfans.com/2012/01/w...-resonator-do/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_resonance

http://www.brighthubengineering.com/...ic-efficiency/
Old 02-21-2015, 02:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
So the stock functions just as good as an aftermarket CAI?
Tek1836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 02:15 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Yes

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:13 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
As far as a dyno is concerned.
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:46 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
I just bought the Air Raid. I know it doesn't do much for power, but I bought it because I like the sound and it looks good. I mean most of us use an axle back and they don't do that much, especially to justify 600-700.00....although I did that too.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:11 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
I just bought the Air Raid. I know it doesn't do much for power, but I bought it because I like the sound and it looks good. I mean most of us use an axle back and they don't do that much, especially to justify 600-700.00....although I did that too.

Very well put.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
jacobdlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:45 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Stop wasting your money. You'll get more "power" by putting a NOS sticker on your car.

How much time do you just park your car with your hood open so people can see your "CAI" and admire all that horsepower.
At least an Axleback you can hear it and the whole neighborhood too.
Lots of companies make bank off silly stuff like that, ever buy a "tornado" air intake swirler? Lol!
I'm gonna start making my own giant cone filter to sell to all you guys and coat it with micro anti gravity molecules for added horsepower... Then I'm gonna retire and buy things that actually add power, like a supercharger, a tune, Canadian air in your tires....and a really really big spoiler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	175869  
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:21 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Some people enjoy spending money on parts and trying different things if you don't have money to waste don't worry what everyone else is doing.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:28 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
Stop wasting your money. You'll get more "power" by putting a NOS sticker on your car.

How much time do you just park your car with your hood open so people can see your "CAI" and admire all that horsepower.
At least an Axleback you can hear it and the whole neighborhood too.
Lots of companies make bank off silly stuff like that, ever buy a "tornado" air intake swirler? Lol!
I'm gonna start making my own giant cone filter to sell to all you guys and coat it with micro anti gravity molecules for added horsepower... Then I'm gonna retire and buy things that actually add power, like a supercharger, a tune, Canadian air in your tires....and a really really big spoiler.

You realize everything we do to our car or any car is a waste of money. We don't do it for re-sale value or anything at all to do with money....we do it because we like it. We all have our own likes and dislikes, waste of money or not. For me personally doing a turbo or supercharger on a V6 Mustang is a total waste, that's just me. It is cool but something I'd never do a Dd....this to me is a waste of money. Just my .02
Old 02-21-2015, 09:19 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
JLT Cold Air Intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobdlaw View Post
Some people enjoy spending money on parts and trying different things if you don't have money to waste don't worry what everyone else is doing.

Take my advice and don't stick up for people thinking a
Cold air adds power. You'll quickly
Be put in your place. Take it from some some people who know when I say that, cold air intake are a waste of money. Just get a tune, naturally
Aspirated you can't tell if you have a intake or not except the sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:23 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for putting me in my place but if people want to change parts on their car no one should have to explain themselves. But your advice is king.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:38 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCali5oh View Post
Take my advice and don't stick up for people thinking a
Cold air adds power. You'll quickly
Be put in your place. Take it from some some people who know when I say that, cold air intake are a waste of money. Just get a tune, naturally
Aspirated you can't tell if you have a intake or not except the sound.

I think everyone is missing the boat here...I didnt remember reading anyone said it really did add power.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:44 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Some people just look for a fight I thought you worded it well I to like you like the look and sound. I know it's not going to add power that wasn't my intention when I ordered one. I got a tune a tuner and exhaust setup to add small power. I also bought racing stripes pretty sure they don't make me go faster but I like them. Apparently some people only buy power adders and never get cosmetic items.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:03 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Some people just look for a fight I thought you worded it well I to like you like the look and sound. I know it's not going to add power that wasn't my intention when I ordered one. I got a tune a tuner and exhaust setup to add small power. I also bought racing stripes pretty sure they don't make me go faster but I like them. Apparently some people only buy power adders and never get cosmetic items.

Don't let anyone here or anywhere else discourage you. These people are not paying for your parts so it doesn't matter what other people think.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:59 PM   #24
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

The reason this thread is here is to kind of put a rest over part of the debate. We'll have some actual 1/4 mile times to look at and I'll post the datalogs.

I didn't mean to start a thread leading to arguments.

I should be picking it up sometime this week.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:09 PM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Jacob just tell them this like the rock does...Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1424581747.178379.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	175882

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:30 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
Jacob just tell them this like the rock does...Attachment 175882

Adventure till you drop

That's right. Haha.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:32 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

My car is pretty fixed up cosmetically too. Wheels add 599whp.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:32 PM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

That's what I tell people who tell me that I should've bought a coyote over my car...

Adventure till you drop
Old 02-21-2015, 11:33 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's what I tell people who tell me that I should've bought a coyote over my car...

I personally like the 5-10 roush. They sound so good and the supercharger sounds awesome.
Adventure till you drop

---------- Post added at 12:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 AM ----------

I personally like the 5-10 roush. They sound so good and so does the supercharger.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:34 PM   #30
Registered Member

Regular

Having issues with the quoting? And my build list will boost my car to 700rwhp+ so I think I'll be just fine...

Adventure till you drop
Old 02-21-2015, 11:36 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Having issues with the quoting? And my build list will boost my car to 700rwhp+ so I think I'll be just fine...

Adventure till you drop

Yeah man it didn't take what I wrote the first time. The roush is nice. I almost bought a 2014 stage 3 roush. It was red. Used only had 10 k miles. Already had a pulley swap JLT intake and dyno tune. It sounded nice. Also had drag radials lol.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:38 PM   #32
Registered Member

Regular

JLT Cold Air Intake

Quote:
Yeah man it didn't take what I wrote the first time. The roush is nice. I almost bought a 2014 stage 3 roush. It was red. Used only had 10 k miles. Already had a pulley swap JLT intake and dyno tune. It sounded nice. Also had drag radials lol.

Yea I tried to convince my buddy to get this 12 stage 2 at our local Toyota dealer. He was real hot for my car and was trying to trade me a very desired car... Well he gets a 2010 gt...
But I just need around 30 grand to build my car to my specs... Then maybe I'll be able to outrun pops Porsche...

Adventure till you drop
Old 02-21-2015, 11:48 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea I tried to convince my buddy to get this 12 stage 2 at our local Toyota dealer. He was real hot for my car and was trying to trade me a very desired car... Well he gets a 2010 gt...
But I just need around 30 grand to build my car to my specs... Then maybe I'll be able to outrun pops Porsche...

Adventure till you drop

Yeah man 30 grand is pocket change 😂 I wish lol. I hate buying mods.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:53 PM   #34
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Yeah man 30 grand is pocket change 😂 I wish lol. I hate buying mods.

I bought the car for less than that... But when it's done... Oh that will be the day... Word of advice don't have more than four cars... Your check will just vanish... But if I have the funds that were put in that Porsche my car would be a god...

Adventure till you drop
Old 02-21-2015, 11:59 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I bought the car for less than that... But when it's done... Oh that will be the day... Word of advice don't have more than four cars... Your check will just vanish... But if I have the funds that were put in that Porsche my car would be a god...

Adventure till you drop

I have three right now. A 2000 tacoma, 2014 coyote
With too many
Mods and a 2014 lancer evolution MR which is what she drives.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cold air intake