Mustang Evolution Forum banner

License Plate LEDs Going Out

5K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  aleXXXps 
#1 ·
Has anyone had a problem with license plate LEDs frequently burning out? I went through several Auto Zone LED bulbs in a month and also had a cheaper set from eBay start flickering on me.

My stock bulbs work fine and have never burned out on me. However, I just hate that dull yellow look.

Against the wife's wishes, I just ordered a pair of Raxiom bulbs from American Muscle today. I'm hoping they will be higher quality and last longer. Or, if they don't, at least they have some kind of warranty on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#4 ·
I had 2 LEDs inside and outside on my old Mustang with 0 problems from eBay. Now on my new Mustang, first thing I did was order 4 more on eBay and have had them in there for 6 months now with no problems. Everyone puts down eBay but I honestly love it, sometimes they do have cheaply made stuff but I have saved so much from that site. Saved $24 buying them on eBay rather than AM way over prices ones.

G
#6 ·
Not shutting out ebay, but if you are not careful, sometimes you can pick up bad items. Most people don't check feedback, reviews, brand, etc. Some people just go for pricing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#7 ·
Also keep in mind Raxiom products all have a 2 year warranty. Ebay bulbs, while cheap, do not.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#8 ·
You can also buy 50 eBay bulbs for the price of 2 raxioms. Just check feedback, location, and total price.

#9 ·
LEDS should have a life span of around 20 years regardless of where you buy them so if they are going out in less than 1 year something is up with probably the hardware rather than the bulb if you have tried more than 1. Maybe 1 bad bulb out of thousands made.

#11 ·
did you read the raxiom reviews on am? a lot of people have the issue with theirs too. I was going to get them but decided against it once I saw the negatives.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.

#12 ·
I have the AM raxiom interior and license plate led's and have had no issues with either of them.

#13 ·
I've had the AM raxiom ones on my car for about a year now and have had zero problems. I also have the dome light ones just as long and zero problems.

2013 Race Red V6 Premium. 35% window tint, racing stripes, Raxiom interior LED dome lights, Raxiom license plate LED lights, MMD taillight trim, MMD Classic louvers, blacked out all side and back markers and tail lights, Ford Racing Sport Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, upper and lower black modern billet grilles, MGP caliper covers.

#14 ·
Thanks for all the input! Hopefully the AM bulbs will last longer. I'm assuming they're cheaply made in china, too, but the warranty will be nice. The stupid autozone ones were Sylvania, but $12 each and just keep burning out.

#16 ·
Lol yeah I agree with Kevin

#17 ·
I suspect they are going out because of heat issues. I purchased these which basically have the entire housing made into a heat sink and they are bright white! Also got one for my trunk. All said and done I came out cheaper for all three than one pair from the other guys.

Yellow White Automotive lighting Light Lighting

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light

Car Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Trunk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
Those are the exact ones I bought on eBay for a couple dollars and had no problems with at all.

#19 ·
I have LEDs that I buy from a local guy. I'm not sure where he gets them but they aren't the most expensive but they are very bright. Also, I have some dome light bulbs I bought from him around 3 years ago...they have been in 2 other cars and now in my Mustang, they are still burning bright.

#21 ·
Has anyone had a problem with license plate LEDs frequently burning out? I went through several Auto Zone LED bulbs in a month and also had a cheaper set from eBay start flickering on me.

My stock bulbs work fine and have never burned out on me. However, I just hate that dull yellow look.

Against the wife's wishes, I just ordered a pair of Raxiom bulbs from American Muscle today. I'm hoping they will be higher quality and last longer. Or, if they don't, at least they have some kind of warranty on them.
Hey aleXXXps (Great name by the way :hide: )

I think a lot of good info has been said in here and I've been through my fair share of "non/off-brand" bulbs and they're definitely a little questionable. I've seen everything from map light burns to mild smoke coming out and I refuse to get them! You know the type, where the package isn't even fully sealed and the edges are just coming apart? :banghead:

We're more than happy to work around your wife as well - Feel free to use a different email address when you're having an order placed and feel free to utilize using us to have them shipped to another address if you'd like :whistling::D I do this all the time! It's either this or I keep turning the heat down at my place, there's gotta be a happy medium!

In all seriousness I think you made a great choice using the Raxiom Plate Lights - For such an inexpensive mod they really turn heads and it's something that a lot of people think not to do!

Not that you need any more reassurance but check out these reviews below along with our Review Video of the Map Light Conversion kit as you may want to take a look into them now! (Shoot me a PM if you don't have our discount code too!) and a couple customer submitted pictures and let me know if you're to have any other questions!

Hope this helps and enjoy them!

Alex

I would say you will have better experience with AMs lights.
Kevin! I think you're definitely onto something with that comment!

I've been through two raxiom kits within six month always the same side that goes out.
Hey Andrew - Sorry to hear about this! That's definitely on the odd side! If you're still seeing issues persisting please do not hesitate to let me know and I'm here to work with you to get them replaced!

Also keep in mind Raxiom products all have a 2 year warranty.
Thanks JoeyM91! I'm not sure how I failed to mention this! We work with Raxiom on an hourly basis and handle their warranty claims. If anything is to go wrong with your Raxiom parts I need to hear about it!

We wont split hairs and I'm here to ensure that your customer service experience is perfect down to the last detail - I can't stress it enough that I'll bend over backwards for our friends here at MustangEvolution as well as anywhere else!

I have the AM raxiom interior and license plate led's and have had no issues with either of them.
Hey dj2014 - Thanks for taking the time to post this up! I'm really happy to hear that you're enjoying your LED's as much as I do!

I've had the AM raxiom ones on my car for about a year now and have had zero problems. I also have the dome light ones just as long and zero problems.

rringler - Awesome! I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying yours as well. It's crazy to think about just how such an inexpensive mod like LED Bulbs can change the look and feel of your Mustang!

Just tie two flashlights in and wire a kill switch to the front of the car. :p
Lol yeah I agree with Kevin
Guys we should go into business - I'm all about this! Let's get this moving! Here's what my next light setup is going to look like!

Thoughts?

Let me know if anyone has any further questions, I'm always around to help!

Alex

#23 ·
So many great ideas out there. This is just one of many! lol

2013 Race Red V6 Premium. 35% window tint, racing stripes, Raxiom interior LED dome lights, Raxiom license plate LED lights, MMD taillight trim, MMD Classic louvers, blacked out all side and back markers and tail lights, Ford Racing Sport Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, upper and lower black modern billet grilles, MGP caliper covers, Ford Boss302 strut tower brace.

#25 ·
My LEDs arrived today and I installed them in the snowy weather. Here's a photo.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Bumper

Also, while I was changing them, I cleaned out my license plate light covers. They were almost like rusty looking. Here's a photo after a bit of cleaning, but you can still see some residue. Is that normal for that to happen? The same thing happened on my Ford Focus (which used the same exact covers).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.