Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Changing tire size in the back...

2K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  Mustangs 
#1 · (Edited)
I am running 235/50/18" all around.
I want to run a lil bigger in the back so I can stop spinning the rears with my new MPT 93/Perf/Race tune.

Would 245/45/18" keep the height as my 235/50/18s?
My rims are Motegi 18x8 MR118's... so I know you can't go too wide.

Thank You, very much!!
-Allan

#6 ·
Width doesn't affect the speedometer. The overall diameter of the tire is what affects the speedo. If you look for a wider tire that has the same overall diameter as your stock tire, the speedo should be fine.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible

#8 ·
Wider won't affect anything. It's the overall tire height.

And you wouldn't be able to rotate tires after that kind of change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
thx guys. Going' with the 225/45/18..its only a 0.08% difference ...As long as its not over 3% difference you are ok.

#13 ·
You're tired of spinning gears with your new found power and the solution is to go to a narrower and shorter rear tire........both reducing your contact patch and giving that power more leverage? Not really a solution. The 255/45-18 recommendation above is a good one.

#14 ·
I heard from quite a lot of people say ...more tire patch, the less spinning of your tires. Hooking up will occur more.

#15 ·
I run Cooper Zeon RS3-A in size 255/45-18, still can't hook up. I've 'learned' to just live with it :)

#16 ·
Thanks A Lot!
Oh boy.
....not going to have have that extra tire weight and tire expense then. Savings all around except that staggered look.

#18 · (Edited)
Oh ok. Maybe I may give 255s a shot then....

#19 ·
I see now...275s...
not good fir me because I have an 8" rims ...so max width is 255s.

hmmmmm...I am thinking that in need some LCAs to help my tires grip on take off, too, no???!!!!

#20 ·
bought some BMR LCAs ...on ebay...cheap...[89 bucks!]
so let's see if I stick better...

#22 ·
Now...
I am thinking of going from 235/50/18 to 245/45/18. I am getting a good deal on some Cooper RS3-s tires. I know that there is a 2.14% speed variance [too fast]...but i should be ok, correct?

#23 · (Edited)
Anyone feel a 245/45/18 tire will affect mpg and wear too much because it will spin 10x more than a 235/50 18?
Thank You, very much!!
Allan

#24 ·
The change from 235/50 to 245/45 shouldn't affect your MPG much. Being 2.1% smaller in dia isn't that bad, and it's only a small difference in speedometer reading. When speedometer reads 60 mph you will actually be going 58 3/4 mph.
Not sure why you're not going with the 255/45 which would only be 1.1% smaller and a wider tire.
I can only assume it's because the good deal you mentioned is on the 245/45.
I'm surprised no one brought up a discussion of a stickier tire.
Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.