TPMS sensor and fix a flat - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-22-2015, 09:23 AM   #1
Kevin.Cook

TPMS sensor and fix a flat

So I am getting a tire replaced due to an unfortunate nail. NTB mentioned if you spray fix a flat in these newer car tires, that fix a flat has a high chance of ruining the TPMS sensors. The guy said fix a flat is highly acidic and we should not be doing this.

Anyone else heard of this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2015, 09:43 AM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Do not use "FIX-A-FLAT

It will ruin your tire pressure sensors and it-self glues the inside of the tire and very hard to get off.
Go to Auto Zone or a car parts store and get """SLIME""" it is water based, Won't ruin the sensors and just washes out so the tire is easy to patch.
It does come in an aerosol can as well as the old squeeze it in stuff. ( Needs a pump)

I carry both types. ( bought it when I had my Mini JCW)

This is a picture of the fix-a-flat after it was pried off of the inside of my tire. Not an easy thing to do.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:45 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
So I am getting a tire replaced due to an unfortunate nail. NTB mentioned if you spray fix a flat in these newer car tires, that fix a flat has a high chance of ruining the TPMS sensors. The guy said fix a flat is highly acidic and we should not be doing this.

Anyone else heard of this?

This comes right from their site:

http://www.fixaflat.com/faq/

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2015, 09:49 AM   #4
Kevin.Cook

Yea it says on their website it can be cleaned out of the sensor and it should return to normal function. But i was curious if it REALLY ruins the sensors beyond repair. Idk, maybe the rep was making it up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-22-2015, 10:01 AM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

It must have been change since I used it

I used it back in the year 2001 or 2002 When I had a flat. It ruined my $100.00 sensor (BMW MINI) and the tire shop would not repair the tire because the glob of crap turned to a plastic type stuff that glued itself to the inside of my tire. I bought my Michelin's then and took the old tires home. I Finley peeled off the scab ( Pictured in above photo) and took the tire to be plugged . I did sell all four on Craigs list.

They must have had to change the stuff because all new cars now seem to have tire sensors. I will stick to "SLIME" products though because I know they don't destroy anything and just washes off with plain water. And it does get you going if you do get a flat.
Ronnie
Old 02-22-2015, 10:38 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Fix-a-Flat cost me a new sensor, but it was better than being stuck.

I'm going to get the Slime. Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:00 PM   #7
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Thanks for the info. Going to throw a bottle of Slime in my emergency bag in the trunk!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:59 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Of course as many of you know a spare tire is not an option nor did my dealer know what I could use as a spare, for my car equipped with the Perf Pack option.
They give you a TEMPORARY MOBILITY KIT which includes a "sealant" then they tell you in the Owner's Manual...
"WARNING: The use of tire sealants may damage your tire
pressure monitoring system and should not be used. However, if
you must use a sealant, have an authorized dealer install a new tire
pressure monitoring system sensor and valve stem."

I did finally find the 18" alum wheel mini spare that would work with the larger brake calipers on the Perf Pack. ( I think it was used on some of the GT's.??)
I don't like the idea of relying on a sealant, which is only good for specific types of flats, and then possibly having to replace the PMSS.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:12 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

I wound up buying Ford's spare tire kit with doughnut... never did test to see if it will clear the PP front calipers, but my research said it would.

Good to hear about Slime. Didn't know it was TPMS-safe; will have to buy some for the emergency kit.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:30 AM   #10
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I talked with someone that works at a tire shop and they hate Slime. Evidently yes, you can clean it out but it ain't as simple as the cans say. I carry a plug kit at all times and when I go on trips of more than 50 miles from the house I throw an extra tire in the back (I'm lucky enough to have both summers & Neros)
Old 02-23-2015, 05:42 AM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Back in 2012, I had a slow leak, and used the Factory supplied bottle of tire fix that was in the trunk, along with the compressor to fill the tire. That afternoon, I took the Mustang over to a Ford dealer to have the tire properly repaired. The service manager informed me that the TPMS would need replacement. I told him to go ahead of course, but at their dime, not mine, as I followed the directions in my 2011 owners manual. Seeing as how Ford provided the tire repair bottle, I told the service manager that Ford would have to cover the cost of the TPMS if their supplied product ruined it.

The service manager agreed. Not sure if they replaced it or not, but it never gave me any codes or indications of failing (TPMS).
Old 02-23-2015, 07:26 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Dear Jeebus! Don't use slime or fix a flat! You want to talk about ruining your own wheels, sensors and genuinely pi$$ing of the technician you bring it to?
Buy a spare tire and change it like a man. What's this you say?.... It won't fit on your front? Then put it on the rear and put your GOOD rear tire on the front! But that takes an extra 5 minutes? Don't be a Mary, cowboy up.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:38 AM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Yes, A spare is the very best

A plug kit is good too.
AAA is great but only if you have a spare.

Slime will get you going fast and out of harms way of jacking up your car on the side of some roads and interstates the way people drive now-a-days.

We used Slime in Shari's truck. They just squirted it out with a hose, dried out the tire with the air hose, put in a plug patch and "DONE" My tire store is well aware of slime and it did not bother the old guy one bit.

Ronnie
Old 02-23-2015, 08:29 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
i bought a actual oem rim and put a new pirrelli i got from a run down tire shop for 40 dollars and rim 220 delivered.the pirrelli is brand new cant believe people pay almost 300 for good tires.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:35 AM   #15
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
A plug kit is good too.

AAA is great but only if you have a spare.

Slime will get you going fast and out of harms way of jacking up your car on the side of some roads and interstates the way people drive now-a-days.

We used Slime in Shari's truck. They just squirted it out with a hose, dried out the tire with the air hose, put in a plug patch and "DONE" My tire store is well aware of slime and it did not bother the old guy one bit.

Ronnie

Im with you there! My couzin just got hit lastnight waiting for the tools to change his tire! The side of the road is worse than an actual street laneClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1424702095.130464.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	176003

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
efrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:40 AM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

^Holy crap! He's okay?
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Old 02-23-2015, 08:43 AM   #17
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
Dear Jeebus! Don't use slime or fix a flat! You want to talk about ruining your own wheels, sensors and genuinely pi$$ing of the technician you bring it to?
Buy a spare tire and change it like a man. What's this you say?.... It won't fit on your front? Then put it on the rear and put your GOOD rear tire on the front! But that takes an extra 5 minutes? Don't be a Mary, cowboy up.

I'm willing to bet most people here know how to change their tire, but it's a time/cost thing. I get roadside service for <$3 a month on my insurance. If I get a flat, I'll let them deal with it. That's what I pay for. I've been on the side of an interstate changing a tire; not an experience I want to have again. Remember, it's not about us, it's the other idiots out there running around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:44 AM   #18
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
^Holy crap! He's okay?
Yes he is nothing major thanks for asking

Old 02-23-2015, 08:59 AM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by efrain View Post
Yes he is nothing major thanks for asking

Glad to hear it!

Old 02-23-2015, 09:01 AM   #20
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
that will be difficult to buff out.

I remember helping someone on the side of the Merrit Pkwy in CT and her being suspicious when I told her it was her job to keep an eye on traffic as I figured out what was wrong with her car. I will say if I can't pull well off the road I'll drive till the rim (or wimp out and call for help)
Old 02-23-2015, 09:14 AM   #21
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
Glad to hear it!

Yes. But sorry for getting in here with an infiniti lol

Old 02-23-2015, 09:17 AM   #22
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by efrain View Post
Im with you there! My couzin just got hit lastnight waiting for the tools to change his tire! The side of the road is worse than an actual street laneAttachment 176003

Glad noone was hurt. People bag on others for making choices like calling for road side service when they need to realize, we are doing this because of the stupid choices others make on the road.

Such as changing lanes when someone is right next to them.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:26 AM   #23
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Another thing to think of:

People have been robbed when being broke down or changing a tire on the side of an interstate highway. All states have had this problem.
I'll just stick to the "SLIME" AEROSOL and be on my way in two minutes.

Many, and I mean MANY cars have been rear ended while parked on the side of a road because a lot of people see the car and their brain try's to follow what is in front of them. By the time they realize the car in front of the is stopped it is to late and Whamo.

They had to actually pass a law here in Florida to make people move to the left lane and slow down if they see a Police car on the side of the highway and they still get rear ended once in a while when stopping a speeder or helping someone. And they have flahing blue lights.

Day or Night - It is a dangerous thing to be jacking up a car and changing a tire on the side of any road or highway.
Ronnie
Old 02-23-2015, 09:41 AM   #24
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
People have been robbed when being broke down or changing a tire on the side of an interstate highway. All states have had this problem.
I'll just stick to the "SLIME" AEROSOL and be on my way in two minutes.

Many, and I mean MANY cars have been rear ended while parked on the side of a road because a lot of people see the car and their brain try's to follow what is in front of them. By the time they realize the car in front of the is stopped it is to late and Whamo.

They had to actually pass a law here in Florida to make people move to the left lane and slow down if they see a Police car on the side of the highway and they still get rear ended once in a while when stopping a speeder or helping someone. And they have flahing blue lights.

Day or Night - It is a dangerous thing to be jacking up a car and changing a tire on the side of any road or highway.
Ronnie

Yes you're right even here in TX its that way but there is just some dumbasses here and every where

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang