Air silencer/ intake baffle: pros/cons? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-22-2015, 03:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Air silencer/ intake baffle: pros/cons?

Thinking about removing the air silencer or intake sound baffle.

Wonder what the pros and cons are to it. If it would even make sense to do it, I think it would give a little more air flow, but will it mess anything up?

I'm already past 100k so warranty is gone now anyways if that's a factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
nicholasmadill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2015, 03:39 PM   #2
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Funny you should mention that because I just posted this in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
After a little research I found these articles about the function of resonators on intakes. Pretty interesting actually.

Figured I'd post these up in case anyone else was interested.

http://worldtuningfans.com/2012/01/w...-resonator-do/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_resonance

http://www.brighthubengineering.com/...ic-efficiency/
Old 02-22-2015, 07:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
So basically my mileage will go down
Logan541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2015, 07:26 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks!

Old 02-22-2015, 07:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

So you would lose power too?

Old 02-22-2015, 07:52 PM   #6
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

I'm honesty not sure how much of a difference it makes. I have one intake where I cut off the resonators and I have one that still has them.

I don't think there's a noticeable difference in performance but there is a tad more sound.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:03 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

So would you say it is worth it just for the sound? My car is bone stock. Stock exhaust. Stock intake, all that ahah

Old 02-23-2015, 05:21 AM   #8
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Interesting! I was always one to state that if you were buying a CAI for the looks and sound, consider cutting off the bladder/tumor/muffler/resonator off of the stock air tube.

One of those articles has this statement:

"Adding an expansion chamber to the intake tube forces air coming back out of the engine to slow down to fill the cavity, thus expending a great deal of its energy and slowing the pressure wave reversion. This slowdown allows fresh air to flow toward the engine without fighting pressure reversion waves the entire way, thus aiding in cylinder filling. Since these pressure waves are essentially sound, giving them a place to expend their energy before exiting the air filter box ends up dampening the intake noise and quieting the engine. Thus, the resonator helps to make the engine paradoxically quieter and more powerful."

This needs further investigation. From the above, it's best to leave that alone. I'm thinking that the aftermarket CAI's do not have this on their tubes because of the larger air filter cones; this "reversion" of air simply pushes itself out by way of the air filter cone.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan541 View Post
So basically my mileage will go down
Likely because you will be listening to the sound the CAI makes.
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
just remove it and install a turbo encabulator.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

What does that do?

Old 02-24-2015, 10:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

A turbo encabulator will take the third & forth harmonic bouncing off a closing intake valve and force it back with greater speed towards the next opening intake valve, thus increasing horse power a tad. Not really measureable on a dyno but it "feels" more powerful.

CS Upper/Lower Grill | GT Mufflers | JLT Catch Can | PP Engine Cover | Steeda PH Brace | JDM Adj PH bar | AMR 18x9 Dark Stainless -Cont Contact Sport 235-55x18 | Roush Vent Pod/Oil Pressure Gauge | Airaid MIT - aFe Pro S |MMD Hood Struts | Prev Maint Rear Axle Vent tube, Radiator degass tube
Old 02-25-2015, 02:36 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Interesting! I was always one to state that if you were buying a CAI for the looks and sound, consider cutting off the bladder/tumor/muffler/resonator off of the stock air tube.

One of those articles has this statement:

"Adding an expansion chamber to the intake tube forces air coming back out of the engine to slow down to fill the cavity, thus expending a great deal of its energy and slowing the pressure wave reversion. This slowdown allows fresh air to flow toward the engine without fighting pressure reversion waves the entire way, thus aiding in cylinder filling. Since these pressure waves are essentially sound, giving them a place to expend their energy before exiting the air filter box ends up dampening the intake noise and quieting the engine. Thus, the resonator helps to make the engine paradoxically quieter and more powerful."

This needs further investigation. From the above, it's best to leave that alone. I'm thinking that the aftermarket CAI's do not have this on their tubes because of the larger air filter cones; this "reversion" of air simply pushes itself out by way of the air filter cone.

Its some pretty neat stuff. Honda engines are the only ones i have seen use an intake like this, but they're likely the only ones that actually benefit from these ridiculous looking things:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...ke%3B500%3B332

Those intakes basically create a high pressure zone in that expansion chamber, its a similar affect to ducting a radiator / diverging and converging ducts.

Basically you can create a high pressure zone in the intake to kind of "ram feed" the intake. I think the above article touches on the same principle (more or less), called a Helmholtz resonator.
Helmholtz resonance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Theres a lot more to it than just slapping an filter on a pipe, its some pretty fascinating stuff.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:08 PM   #14
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Definitely pretty interesting. It gives me a new found appreciation for our intakes.

I don't know about the V8, but it really doesn't look like Ford left much to do on the intake side for the V6.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:21 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

There really isnt much left on the table in either application, as far as a basic bolt on car is concerned. There's really a lot of science with the pressure zones (i'll avoid my own speculations and just stick with what we know so far), but i agree ... not really much left for the end user to upgrade, save for simply going to a larger inlet tube / MAF housing.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:25 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Definitely pretty interesting. It gives me a new found appreciation for our intakes.

I don't know about the V8, but it really doesn't look like Ford left much to do on the intake side for the V6.
Exactly why my Airaid is for sale. It looks/sounds very nice, but where I live (FL) IAT heats up in traffic WAY more that the factory intake box. Just using an AFE drop-in now & factory intake tube, warts & all..
Old 02-25-2015, 07:38 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree43 View Post
Exactly why my Airaid is for sale. It looks/sounds very nice, but where I live (FL) IAT heats up in traffic WAY more that the factory intake box. Just using an AFE drop-in now & factory intake tube, warts & all..
I just did the swap myself, sold my Airaid CAI and bought the Airaid modular tube with stock airbox and AFE Pro dry S drop in filter.
That AFE Pro dry S filter has to have at least as much surface area for filtering as a cone filter, but in a sealed true CAI box and not sucking in extra under hood heat.
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:26 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCyclone View Post
I just did the swap myself, sold my Airaid CAI and bought the Airaid modular tube with stock airbox and AFE Pro dry S drop in filter.
That AFE Pro dry S filter has to have at least as much surface area for filtering as a cone filter, but in a sealed true CAI box and not sucking in extra under hood heat.

Here's my AFE Pro Dry S in case people are wondering what they look like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1424917611.726929.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	176202

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:37 PM   #19
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

That's interesting.

I'm really interested in the surface area. When I calculated the surface area of the k&n drop-in it was less than the stock, so I'd be interested to see what this is.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:39 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Or if there's any turbulence with that set up ... How much you can flow < How well you can flow.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:40 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's interesting.

I'm really interested in the surface area. When I calculated the surface area of the k&n drop-in it was less than the stock, so I'd be interested to see what this is.
The AFE definitely has way more then stock or a K&N. Those filter pleats are 4" deep from top to bottom all the way around. You also have to keep in mind they are angled, I measured straight down, so there is probably another 1/2" of pleat not measured if I had to guess. You can also get the same AFE filter in a oiled version. The dry version is re-useable cleans with soap, water and dry.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:44 PM   #22
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Air silencer/ intake baffle: pros/cons?

Stupid phone app double post
Old 02-25-2015, 08:59 PM   #23
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Or if there's any turbulence with that set up ... How much you can flow < How well you can flow.

This too.

But I doubt any of us have the facilities to test this out aside from the old "butt dyno" technique.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:07 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Or that it will make a large enough difference to matter, but still. Interesting points of discussion.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:14 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

It's all conjecture, but I would think a free flowing filter in a true sealed CAI has to net at least the same gains (if not more) as an open air CAI sucking in engine heat, as long as the sealed filter box can support the flow.
With the modular Airaid tube, its as smooth transition inside as the Airaid CAI tube was.

IAT's matter especially in the South in the summer.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:02 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCyclone View Post

Exactly the set up I had in mind when my CAI sells. Now with all the info on the factory intake tube with chambers, is the Modular tube really better, or just allow for a little noise. Isn't the turbulance what is causing the noise?
Old 02-26-2015, 04:24 AM   #27
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:

^^^ This.

A few years ago, there was a show featuring Jay Leno's garage and a Boss 302 he owned (2011 I think). The Ford engineers stated that an aftermarket CAI was simply not needed, and would not do anything in the way of a true performance gain. I believe them. To date, other than perhaps the "eye candy" effect, fuel injected automobiles already have a CAI, and its hard to do any real improvement on them, unless you go to radical steps to increase the engines requirement to need more air.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:28 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree43 View Post
Exactly the set up I had in mind when my CAI sells. Now with all the info on the factory intake tube with chambers, is the Modular tube really better, or just allow for a little noise. Isn't the turbulance what is causing the noise?
For me have the modular tube is more of eliminating the smallest part in the system. I have bbk 73mm tb, ported upper/lower intake manifolds, shorty headers, O/R h pipe and GT500 mufflers.
The inside of the modular tube is smoother transition for sure over stock because of the accordion style connection on the ends and the baffle inside.

If I was stock with TB and intake manifold I would probably leave the stock air tube in place.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang