Roush Axleback exhaust vs. Borla ATAK Axleback exhaust - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-24-2015, 09:22 PM   #36
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I was there in 2012

If nothing changed over the past 2 1/2 years Borla still makes Shelby / Ford Racing / Roush among other brands of mufflers and a few other things. If they do the big event again in 2015 I would suggest anyone that can should go. Take the walk through and read some of the boxes.
All of the brands probably do look different. If you take a Borla "S" type and compare the sound to the Roush, They sure sound the same to me. Take a Ford racing touring and a Borla touring and they have the same sound.
A lot of company's make parts for the competition because it is just good business.
Of course when a company makes anything for different businesses they can't just all look the same. They are made to the buyers specks.
Borla makes stuff for Camaro's, Corvettes, and many other brands of car and trucks. They are a huge and I mean "HUGE" company. If they only made mufflers for Mustangs only, they would not still be in business.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2015, 09:33 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
If nothing changed over the past 2 1/2 years Borla still makes Shelby / Ford Racing / Roush among other brands of mufflers and a few other things. If they do the big event again in 2015 I would suggest anyone that can should go. Take the walk through and read some of the boxes.
All of the brands probably do look different. If you take a Borla "S" type and compare the sound to the Roush, They sure sound the same to me. Take a Ford racing touring and a Borla touring and they have the same sound.
A lot of company's make parts for the competition because it is just good business.
Of course when a company makes anything for different businesses they can't just all look the same. They are made to the buyers specks.
Borla makes stuff for Camaro's, Corvettes, and many other brands of car and trucks. They are a huge and I mean "HUGE" company. If they only made mufflers for Mustangs only, they would not still be in business.
Ronnie
Wow I had no idea they made all of those. What confuses me is the roush is half the price of some borlas. If there made by the same why the big gap.
Tek1836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:49 PM   #38
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Roush has to get their $$$$ profit

It is not only Borla but Magnaflow also makes a lot of mufflers for many company's.

Even GM and Ford share parts. The new eight speed automatic is going to be a GM/Ford product.

Take a look at Shelby muffler prices.
Even your food is sometimes the same thing in different packages with different prices. It is nothing new,
I say get what makes you happy and if you like the Roush name on your tips you need to just get them.
I personaly love my Magnaflow Street but I'm willing to bet there is a cheaper priced muffler made by Magnaflow but without their name on the tips.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2015, 11:08 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I just bought a used Borla ATAK off of eBay for $450 shipped. Can't wait to install it!
MP0986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:21 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Pretty sure the Roush is cheaper and somebody correct me or confirm this, is because while Borla does make the muffler, the Roush is basically the old design for the Stingers or something like that, hence the lower price.

SR Performance CAI, Bama 91R tune, Roush Axleback, BBK Shorty Headers.
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:32 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0986 View Post
I just bought a used Borla ATAK off of eBay for $450 shipped. Can't wait to install it!
That's fantastic!

2013 Candy Apple Red 3.7, Roush Axel Backs, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers,Barton shifter bracket, Bama tuned, SR lowering Springs, J&M adjustable pan hard bar, 3.73 Ford Racing gears, GT 500 spoiler, Upper and lower MIMD grill, 2010 GT Premium 19" wheels, GT 500 stripes, Painted mirror covers, MMD Billitt fuel door. 2014 Premium cluster, Chrome mustang shifter knob,
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:40 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
good price on the ataks. got mine used for that amount too! you'll like them. I do suggest drilling the weep hole first before you put them on though!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:47 AM   #43
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
good price on the ataks. got mine used for that amount too! you'll like them. I do suggest drilling the weep hole first before you put them on though!

Yes great advice. I cant believe how much water accumulates in the mufflers.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:31 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

it was funny because i drilled the hole then held it over the sink to drain, and a bit came out. shook it, sounded like there was a drop or two left. I installed them, turned the car on, and whooossshhhh so much more water was shooting out of those little holes haha it was crazy.

MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Old 02-25-2015, 09:25 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_kky View Post
I've had the roush's for a few months and I love them. They are LOUD when you give her the business but driving normal they aren't obnoxious. They have also mellowed out a lot since installing them. Overall I'm happy with them and the price. I couldn't justify 700-800 dollars for the borlas

2013 V6 Deep Impact Blue, manual, Roush axle-back exhaust

I have Roush .... Love the tone, but they got some drone.
sjd312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:47 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjd312 View Post

I've found if you install shorty headers when you have Roush axlebacks it will get rid of the drone

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
MadGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:53 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I honestly don't notice if there is drone or not.

2013 V6 Deep Impact Blue, manual, Roush axle-back exhaust
bob_kky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:55 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGenius View Post
I've found if you install shorty headers when you have Roush axlebacks it will get rid of the drone

Thanks, mad. Been considering shorties anyway. Any recommendations?
sjd312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:17 AM   #49
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Thanks, mad. Been considering shorties anyway. Any recommendations?

BBK ceramics.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:41 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's awesome man. But yup, that's the plan.. drill the weep hole first.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:07 PM   #51
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Quote:

That's awesome man. But yup, that's the plan.. drill the weep hole first.

Yeah, I tried to do it after I'd already installed them.

I quit after breaking 2 drill bits and a few 4 letter words later.

But yeah, I'm a complete Borla fanboy. I will always suggest Borla mufflers. Whether you go with the Touring, S-Type or Atak, you'll be happy. Great quality, zero drone and great sound.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:21 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
good price on the ataks. got mine used for that amount too! you'll like them. I do suggest drilling the weep hole first before you put them on.
Weep hole?
nelly012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:13 AM   #53
Registered Member

Regular

Weep Hole Instructions
Old 02-28-2015, 12:35 PM   #54
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Drained 2 cups out of my S-Types before installing them (got them used). Also, mine already had the weep holes, but they were clogged with dirt/crud. Just needed a toothpick to clean it up.

I regularly see small puddles below the muffler on the garage floor, so I know they're working, lol.

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:01 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I don't know if this was already mentioned, but research the sounds. I went at least a week or two listening to the two, and decided to go with roush. I thought personally they sounded a lot deeper and had a better growl to them. WOT they sounds like a race car. Price was not a determinant for me, I clearly went for sound that I liked. RESEARCH and listen, it's the only way to decide for yourself since you'll be stuck with them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
bbowman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:27 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Just finished installing the ATAKs. Took about an hour with drilling the weep hole as well. Plenty of water came out! As for the sound, I like it..sounds like an exotic race car. Not loud unless I step on it. Overall, I'm very happy and satisfied with Borla Atak.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:33 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just finished installing the ATAKs. Took about an hour with drilling the weep hole as well. Plenty of water came out! As for the sound, I like it..sounds like an exotic race car. Not loud unless I step on it. Overall, I'm very happy and satisfied with Borla Atak.
awesome! glad you like them. yeah, if you don't really slam on it, it just sounds a little loud, but when you slam on it, that thing gets loud lol

Old 03-04-2015, 02:17 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Just going to leave this here for you guys. Already have about 3-4 thousand miles with these Roush exhausts, like someone else commented they sound completely different as they gain miles. In a good way, they sound deeper and more I tune with less raspiness.

http://youtu.be/m84_ErNS8Dw

JohnnyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:39 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Even at 10k they sound different than 2-3k.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:30 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

did a new cold start video if you're interested! these are the ATAK's
Old 03-06-2015, 09:13 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

I like the Ataks. Sounds good! Don't like the white stuff though!

2013 Candy Apple Red 3.7, Roush Axel Backs, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers,Barton shifter bracket, Bama tuned, SR lowering Springs, J&M adjustable pan hard bar, 3.73 Ford Racing gears, GT 500 spoiler, Upper and lower modern billit grill, 2010 GT Premium 19" wheels, GT 500 stripes, Painted mirror covers, MMD Billitt fuel door. 2014 Premium cluster, Chrome mustang shifter knob,
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:09 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:

Sounds really good at idle. Looks cold, glad I live in AZ. It was like 85 today.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:22 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

yeah we had a snow storm the other day. about 9 inches or so here in NJ. sucked. car was frozen solid... this is my first car with automatic Windows and although I love them, it sucks when they get frozen. I've got vent visor installed on both sides, and when you hear me close the door and it's super loud, it's bc the damn window was frozen and i didnt realize it, and the window hit the vent visor hard lol hope I didn't break it. had to run the car for 20 minutes with defroster on to unfreeze that window!

Old 03-09-2015, 09:59 AM   #64
Kevin.Cook

Mustang-Borla Axel Back Exhaust

Seems like a good price for some ATAKs.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust