New BBK Throttle Body - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-25-2015, 08:20 PM   #1
Kevin.Cook

New BBK Throttle Body

Received my new 73 MM throttle body today from American Muscle. First thing I want to say about it, I was appauled by how UPS left the box. The dude knocked once, left the package on the ground, and ran for it. Because it was literally 2-3 seconds after he knocked the first time, that I got to the door and he was gone. Since I live in an apartment where other Mustang owners reside, leaving a $400 package on the ground unsecured is very scary. Good thing I was off work today to grab the package right away.

Now onto the install, getting the rubber gasket around the bigger throttle body was a slight pain. Because my cai has been in my car for a few months and the rubber gasket has kinda molded itself due to the heat. Getting the bolts in was a tight fit because of the rubber gasket and the weird form it takes after being in the car for a while. (Rubber gasket connecting the intake tube and throttle body)

Now as far as performance/sound. Ever so slightly deeper tone to the car. The car now has more throttle response. (Like when i tap the gas, it is scary how fast the car wants to take off now) Thats about it honestly. I drove around the city for about an hour or so and my average MPGs stayed the same.

Also, I did get an updated tune from Bama which included the 73 mm throttle body which I loaded.

Maybe this is just a piece to the puzzle and it will help in the bigger scheme of things once I add headers this summer. Either way, I am happy my car has taken another step to completion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2015, 08:25 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Sounds about right, it's usually the very last bolt on mod I always recommend when asked about all my bolt ons.
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:29 PM   #3
Kevin.Cook

Forgot to mention, another pain point of the install was the new bolts required allen wrenches. Which makes for tougher work instead of being able to use a socket wrench. I tried to use the old bolts but the wouldn't sit all the way in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2015, 09:10 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
I don't know about TB's...it's one of those things I'm always on the fence with but never do. Tell us in a few more days what you think.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:55 AM   #5
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Received my new 73 MM throttle body today from American Muscle. First thing I want to say about it, I was appauled by how UPS left the box. The dude knocked once, left the package on the ground, and ran for it. Because it was literally 2-3 seconds after he knocked the first time, that I got to the door and he was gone. Since I live in an apartment where other Mustang owners reside, leaving a $400 package on the ground unsecured is very scary. Good thing I was off work today to grab the package right away.

Now onto the install, getting the rubber gasket around the bigger throttle body was a slight pain. Because my cai has been in my car for a few months and the rubber gasket has kinda molded itself due to the heat. Getting the bolts in was a tight fit because of the rubber gasket and the weird form it takes after being in the car for a while. (Rubber gasket connecting the intake tube and throttle body)

Now as far as performance/sound. Ever so slightly deeper tone to the car. The car now has more throttle response. (Like when i tap the gas, it is scary how fast the car wants to take off now) Thats about it honestly. I drove around the city for about an hour or so and my average MPGs stayed the same.

Also, I did get an updated tune from Bama which included the 73 mm throttle body which I loaded.

Maybe this is just a piece to the puzzle and it will help in the bigger scheme of things once I add headers this summer. Either way, I am happy my car has taken another step to completion.
Hey Kevin,

Great little write up!

I have always viewed throttle bodies as a "support" mod. What I mean by that is if your car is making a ton of power, the stock throttle body has a chance of choking for air. At that point, go big!

Unless you are F/I the main increase you will see from an aftermarket throttle body is throttle response, which is definitely awesome and sometimes makes up for that lack of increase in the all-around power department.

Luckily, as you mod the car, you will have plenty of air to make up for it, I can't wait to see how your 3.7 ends up! I know the mod bug has hit you hard

If you need anything, you know where to find me!

-Will
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I added the 73mm with a cai and new differential, 4.10 gears and a tune kinda killed my mpg its fun to drive but im considering if they tuned it well or not or if my gears are cutting short my rpm range the max hp was 260rwhp and it seemed to not max out yet, tons of torque though, but the bbk throttle body when i installed it without a tune cause my rpms to act weird holding after i let off the gas, and idling high, the tune fixed it it also dragged my car up to 35 in 2nd gear without pushing 5he gas at all

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
swhitfield2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I also cant kill my engine now, my buddy dropped my clutch from a stop on flat ground without pushing the gas, had a bit of wheel slip then it just accelerated to 10mph slowly, kinda freaky but i love the lurch from the new throttle body and everything

Old 02-26-2015, 03:09 PM   #8
Kevin.Cook

Got on a dyno yet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-26-2015, 05:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Ya 260 rwhp max ill post the dyno chart when i can

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang