Noob driveshaft question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-27-2015, 11:13 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Chicago
Region: Illinois
Posts: 23
Noob driveshaft question

I'm thinking of swapping gears, and a lot of posts I've read on the topic mention that folks replace their driveshaft when they do the gear swap. What's the benefit of replacing the driveshaft? Checked voltwings' awesome beginners guide but nothing on the topic.)
sjd312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-27-2015, 11:20 AM   #2
VIG
Registered Member
Regular
 
VIG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wilmington
Region: Delaware
Posts: 1,238
According to a few YouTube videos, our stock driveshafts have this cool exploding trick at certain speeds, hence our 118 MPH governor from the factory.

It's one place where Ford made a few compromises in this car.
__________________
IG: workshardplayshard
VIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:20 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sterlingbeast5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Naples, FL
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,654
lighter means less rotational mass which will make faster. Also one piece instead of two which will help. less "play" and stronger if you are going to start modding. I JUST did clutch flywheel and shift bracket and driveshaft. Definite difference.
__________________
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-27-2015, 11:26 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
MP0986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Torrance
Region: California
Posts: 44
I would suggest to get and install Driveshaft first and a Short Shifter if you're planning on getting one.
MP0986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:45 AM   #5
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
If you have an Auto, the driveshaft won't do much if the car is your daily driver and you won't be tracking/racing it. As most daily drivers rarely go over 110 mph (without putting others in danger on the highways).

Now as for Manuals, there is an annoying vibration you can feel upon slowing down/downshifting. It is scary at first and it shakes the shifter like crazy. The aluminum driveshaft has fixed this for some people.

But again, if this is your daily driver that you don't plan on taking it to the track, $700 for a driveshaft won't do much. The stock driveshaft will handle 3.31s-3.73s faily fine between 0-100. If this is the case, the money will be spent better elsewhere on some suspension parts or headers.

If you plan on doing heavy modding (Gears, Exhaust, Engine rebuilding, FI, etc), then the driveshaft will be worth it as it is a piece to the whole puzzle.

I bought into the Driveshaft gimmick and put one on my car (Daily driver). I honestly did not feel any difference with it and my MPGs never changed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:07 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Chicago
Region: Illinois
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
If you have an Auto, the driveshaft won't do much if the car is your daily driver and you won't be tracking/racing it. As most daily drivers rarely go over 110 mph (without putting others in danger on the highways).

Now as for Manuals, there is an annoying vibration you can feel upon slowing down/downshifting. It is scary at first and it shakes the shifter like crazy. The aluminum driveshaft has fixed this for some people.

But again, if this is your daily driver that you don't plan on taking it to the track, $700 for a driveshaft won't do much. The stock driveshaft will handle 3.31s-3.73s faily fine between 0-100. If this is the case, the money will be spent better elsewhere on some suspension parts or headers.

If you plan on doing heavy modding (Gears, Exhaust, Engine rebuilding, FI, etc), then the driveshaft will be worth it as it is a piece to the whole puzzle.

I bought into the Driveshaft gimmick and put one on my car (Daily driver). I honestly did not feel any difference with it and my MPGs never changed.

Thanks. Daily driver and auto (kicking myself for that one.) Would def rather put the $ into the suspension and tune. (Came with roush catback and airaid cai). No plans for any big engine mods. No track plans, just want a fun street performer at (mostly) legal speeds.
sjd312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:18 PM   #7
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Then the driveshaft won't be a pressing mod to do. You could always do it last. A tune will definitely do alot more for you as far as car enjoyment goes.

Don't beat yourself up too bad. I miss my manual 2011. Never getting Auto again. Extremely boring to drive. I only went with it due to the hectic Austin traffic. Clutching every 2 seconds for an hour provided a sore leg. We all make weird decisions. Live and learn.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:37 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Chicago
Region: Illinois
Posts: 23
Got the auto so my wife could drive it and wouldn't feel left out. But she's never driven it! Next time, stick.
sjd312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Then the driveshaft won't be a pressing mod to do. You could always do it last. A tune will definitely do alot more for you as far as car enjoyment goes.

Don't beat yourself up too bad. I miss my manual 2011. Never getting Auto again. Extremely boring to drive. I only went with it due to the hectic Austin traffic. Clutching every 2 seconds for an hour provided a sore leg. We all make weird decisions. Live and learn.
Kevin you still in Austin? You go to any car meets? I know my son told me that there are meets on Saturdays. I just don't know where.


Sent from my SPH-L710 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jnieto7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:13 PM   #10
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I do not know of any in Austin. I used to know of 1 in San Antonio that is usually Friday or Saturday night. I don't think my car is nice enough yet to grace a car show
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
MP0986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Torrance
Region: California
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
If you have an Auto, the driveshaft won't do much if the car is your daily driver and you won't be tracking/racing it. As most daily drivers rarely go over 110 mph (without putting others in danger on the highways).

Now as for Manuals, there is an annoying vibration you can feel upon slowing down/downshifting. It is scary at first and it shakes the shifter like crazy. The aluminum driveshaft has fixed this for some people.

But again, if this is your daily driver that you don't plan on taking it to the track, $700 for a driveshaft won't do much. The stock driveshaft will handle 3.31s-3.73s faily fine between 0-100. If this is the case, the money will be spent better elsewhere on some suspension parts or headers.

If you plan on doing heavy modding (Gears, Exhaust, Engine rebuilding, FI, etc), then the driveshaft will be worth it as it is a piece to the whole puzzle.

I bought into the Driveshaft gimmick and put one on my car (Daily driver). I honestly did not feel any difference with it and my MPGs never changed.
Is it recommended to upgrade the LSD when installing 3.73 gears?
MP0986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:24 PM   #12
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
You can. But its not needed. The way i see it, might as well get all that done though while they have the car up and taken apart.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:06 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
jande063's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Virginia Beach
Region: Virginia
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
According to a few YouTube videos, our stock driveshafts have this cool exploding trick at certain speeds, hence our 118 MPH governor from the factory.

It's one place where Ford made a few compromises in this car.
The 118 MPH governor actually comes from the fact that the base V6 auto comes with energy saver tires that are not rated to go faster, and for manufacturing reasons (lean), it did not make sense to have a special PCM code for only those cars, but to just have that restriction on all V6 models (simplifies the supply chain).
Also, I regularly have my car significantly past 130 for extended periods on road courses, and have never had a driveshaft issue.
__________________
2014 Mustang V6-Built to run TTB, CAM-C, and ESP

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:15 PM   #14
Road Trip!
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieto7 View Post
Kevin you still in Austin? You go to any car meets? I know my son told me that there are meets on Saturdays. I just don't know where.


Sent from my SPH-L710 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

There's one a mustang club that meets at cabelas on buda on saturdays i belive


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
efrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WIN A 2015 Driveshaft Shop Driveshaft & Half-Shafts at AmericanMuscle! AMAlexLazarus 2015 Mustang GT 13 02-22-2015 03:54 PM
Upgrade Your Weak Stock Driveshaft with The Driveshaft Shop at AmericanMuscle AMWill AmericanMuscle 1 03-16-2014 03:18 PM
Noob question.. fast 94 5.0 1979-1995 Mustang GT 14 06-04-2012 02:27 PM
Noob Question.... MC770 General Car Discussion 12 12-28-2010 10:58 PM
supercharger question from a noob kcfan_2004 1996-2004 Mustang GT 27 09-09-2008 01:36 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



04:30 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.