Noob driveshaft question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-27-2015, 11:13 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Noob driveshaft question

I'm thinking of swapping gears, and a lot of posts I've read on the topic mention that folks replace their driveshaft when they do the gear swap. What's the benefit of replacing the driveshaft? Checked voltwings' awesome beginners guide but nothing on the topic.)
sjd312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2015, 11:20 AM   #2
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
According to a few YouTube videos, our stock driveshafts have this cool exploding trick at certain speeds, hence our 118 MPH governor from the factory.

It's one place where Ford made a few compromises in this car.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:20 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
lighter means less rotational mass which will make faster. Also one piece instead of two which will help. less "play" and stronger if you are going to start modding. I JUST did clutch flywheel and shift bracket and driveshaft. Definite difference.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2015, 11:26 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I would suggest to get and install Driveshaft first and a Short Shifter if you're planning on getting one.
MP0986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:45 AM   #5
Kevin.Cook

If you have an Auto, the driveshaft won't do much if the car is your daily driver and you won't be tracking/racing it. As most daily drivers rarely go over 110 mph (without putting others in danger on the highways).

Now as for Manuals, there is an annoying vibration you can feel upon slowing down/downshifting. It is scary at first and it shakes the shifter like crazy. The aluminum driveshaft has fixed this for some people.

But again, if this is your daily driver that you don't plan on taking it to the track, $700 for a driveshaft won't do much. The stock driveshaft will handle 3.31s-3.73s faily fine between 0-100. If this is the case, the money will be spent better elsewhere on some suspension parts or headers.

If you plan on doing heavy modding (Gears, Exhaust, Engine rebuilding, FI, etc), then the driveshaft will be worth it as it is a piece to the whole puzzle.

I bought into the Driveshaft gimmick and put one on my car (Daily driver). I honestly did not feel any difference with it and my MPGs never changed.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:07 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
If you have an Auto, the driveshaft won't do much if the car is your daily driver and you won't be tracking/racing it. As most daily drivers rarely go over 110 mph (without putting others in danger on the highways).

Now as for Manuals, there is an annoying vibration you can feel upon slowing down/downshifting. It is scary at first and it shakes the shifter like crazy. The aluminum driveshaft has fixed this for some people.

But again, if this is your daily driver that you don't plan on taking it to the track, $700 for a driveshaft won't do much. The stock driveshaft will handle 3.31s-3.73s faily fine between 0-100. If this is the case, the money will be spent better elsewhere on some suspension parts or headers.

If you plan on doing heavy modding (Gears, Exhaust, Engine rebuilding, FI, etc), then the driveshaft will be worth it as it is a piece to the whole puzzle.

I bought into the Driveshaft gimmick and put one on my car (Daily driver). I honestly did not feel any difference with it and my MPGs never changed.

Thanks. Daily driver and auto (kicking myself for that one.) Would def rather put the $ into the suspension and tune. (Came with roush catback and airaid cai). No plans for any big engine mods. No track plans, just want a fun street performer at (mostly) legal speeds.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:18 PM   #7
Kevin.Cook

Then the driveshaft won't be a pressing mod to do. You could always do it last. A tune will definitely do alot more for you as far as car enjoyment goes.

Don't beat yourself up too bad. I miss my manual 2011. Never getting Auto again. Extremely boring to drive. I only went with it due to the hectic Austin traffic. Clutching every 2 seconds for an hour provided a sore leg. We all make weird decisions. Live and learn.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:37 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Got the auto so my wife could drive it and wouldn't feel left out. But she's never driven it! Next time, stick.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Then the driveshaft won't be a pressing mod to do. You could always do it last. A tune will definitely do alot more for you as far as car enjoyment goes.

Don't beat yourself up too bad. I miss my manual 2011. Never getting Auto again. Extremely boring to drive. I only went with it due to the hectic Austin traffic. Clutching every 2 seconds for an hour provided a sore leg. We all make weird decisions. Live and learn.
Kevin you still in Austin? You go to any car meets? I know my son told me that there are meets on Saturdays. I just don't know where.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jnieto7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:13 PM   #10
Kevin.Cook

I do not know of any in Austin. I used to know of 1 in San Antonio that is usually Friday or Saturday night. I don't think my car is nice enough yet to grace a car show
Old 02-27-2015, 08:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

Is it recommended to upgrade the LSD when installing 3.73 gears?
MP0986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:24 PM   #12
Kevin.Cook

You can. But its not needed. The way i see it, might as well get all that done though while they have the car up and taken apart.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-27-2015, 09:06 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
According to a few YouTube videos, our stock driveshafts have this cool exploding trick at certain speeds, hence our 118 MPH governor from the factory.

It's one place where Ford made a few compromises in this car.
The 118 MPH governor actually comes from the fact that the base V6 auto comes with energy saver tires that are not rated to go faster, and for manufacturing reasons (lean), it did not make sense to have a special PCM code for only those cars, but to just have that restriction on all V6 models (simplifies the supply chain).
Also, I regularly have my car significantly past 130 for extended periods on road courses, and have never had a driveshaft issue.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:15 PM   #14
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieto7 View Post
Kevin you still in Austin? You go to any car meets? I know my son told me that there are meets on Saturdays. I just don't know where.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

There's one a mustang club that meets at cabelas on buda on saturdays i belive

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
efrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang