Shift points for Auto V6s - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-03-2015, 12:54 PM   #1
Kevin.Cook

Shift points for Auto V6s

So I am working with Bama on fine tuning my ride. Trying to think of the best/optimal shift points for a great balance between DD and Performance. Just wondering what others are thinking on this.

I am trying to figure out at what RPMs to set the shifts to. If anyone has any thoughts, please list the gears and the RPMs for the best shift points.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2015, 01:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
So I am working with Bama on fine tuning my ride. Trying to think of the best/optimal shift points for a great balance between DD and Performance. Just wondering what others are thinking on this.

I am trying to figure out at what RPMs to set the shifts to. If anyone has any thoughts, please list the gears and the RPMs for the best shift points. One of the many issues I face with the Auto, is when cruising around 45-50 MPH, I find the car shifts into 6th. This can sometimes be bothersome on the highway because if you need to pass a car, sometimes 6th on these Autos lacks some of the power you would expect.

I know Sport mode will not shift into 6th on it's own but I am seeing if there is a way to get my Drive gear optimized so it is the better choice between the two. (Although I still like to take control of the gears every now and then but I want to see if I can dial in Drive better then Sport. So in this case, Bama vs Ford as far as tune vs Sport Mode is concerned. lol)

On a side note, I have moved the car from Drive to Sport once on the highway. I did not feel any abnormal movement or sounds so I wasn't sure if this is something that can be done without damaging anything? Cannot really find much on this. I see people have mentioned 1st and 2nd gear. But my car was in 6th at the time. (I did this because I had to get around someone doing 45 in a 70 and it was driving me crazy. So I felt taking control of the gears, etc was the quickest way).

Or maybe I am still used to Manual and feel the that the best passing method is downshifting and then accelerating vs. just flooring it in 6th.
It should downshift to like 4th if you floor it and wanna pass a car or even half throttle should downshift. I dont see what you mean. The car should cruse at 1.2RPM's or so unless you have higher gears then it might be like 2k+. With 3.73's at 40 in sixth its about 1.2 so thats better for gas mileage then when you floor it the car should be downshifting to a lower gear to about 5k RPM's.
-SOLD-13.246s@107.81 RaceRed 2013 v6 Mustang, 3.73 gears, MPT 91Race Tune, Axle-Back Straight Pipe, Tower Brace, BMR LCA's, BBK Shorty Headers, BMR Relocation Brackets, Lethal Performance X-Pipe Catless.
-2008 Civic SI...
RaceRed3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:37 PM   #3
Kevin.Cook

I don't have that happen for me. In fact, before the tune, if I floored it trying to pass someone, there was a bit of lag before the car would take off and I never saw the RPMs jump to 4-5k to signafy a downshift. I even tried watching this in Sport mode without taking manual control of the gears.

I will edit the original post, but mainly what I am looking for is shift points. Not so much other things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2015, 01:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I don't shift points is the term you are looking for. Shifting in any auto Is determined by speed and how much throttle you are giving it.

Are you taking the speed of the shift? Like instead of .5 seconds from 1st to 2nd you change it to .2 seconds?
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:11 PM   #5
Kevin.Cook

Bama is requesting what MPHs the shift points should be at and the pressure. So by this, I was assuming the RPMs would play a factor but I am probably wrong. It is not easy switching from the Manual to an Auto. Too many differences.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:39 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
What did you drive before your stang that was auto? I drove autos my whole life until I bought my stang, won't go back lol.

2013 Candy Apple Red 3.7, Roush Axel Backs, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers,Barton shifter bracket, Bama tuned, SR lowering Springs, J&M adjustable pan hard bar, 3.73 Ford Racing gears, GT 500 spoiler, Upper and lower modern billit grill, 2010 GT Premium 19" wheels, GT 500 stripes, Painted mirror covers, MMD Billitt fuel door. 2014 Premium cluster, Chrome mustang shifter knob,
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:49 PM   #7
Kevin.Cook

I had a manual transmission mustang.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-03-2015, 03:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I don't fully understand what you're asking. Why is Bama asking you what the shift points and pressure should be? Shouldn't they know that if they're tuning your car?

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-03-2015, 03:11 PM   #9
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
I don't fully understand what you're asking. Why is Bama asking you what the shift points and pressure should be? Shouldn't they know that if they're tuning your car?

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Good point.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:51 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Try the performance 89 Bama tune. Takes the lag out of the shifting pattern.

My thoughts- I think you are way over thinking this tune business. Bama is a bunch of smart guys/girls and have figured out the real deal. You may be chasing an unattainable goal.

K

2015 Roush RS1 Premium w PP
Roush Performance upgrade-- Tinted Windows
JLT Catch Can--Ford Racing Strut Brace
Flowmaster scavenger "Y" pipe resonator delete
b2673ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:08 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
The question is, what made BAMA ask those questions. Sounds like this is not typical.
Was it perhaps something Kevin.Cook initiated by his concerns/discussions?
The lack of downshifting makes no sense at all. You floor an automatic it downshifts. If it doesn't something is seriously wrong.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:19 AM   #12
Kevin.Cook

I just asked that they help make the shifting a tad more aggresive. So I was asked what MPHs I wanted the shift points to be and what firmness.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:30 AM   #13
Kevin.Cook

I think this is getting off topic from my initial question. I am just gathering information for them. As I said, that is what they asked. If noone has information to provide on the question, then please dont post. This thread keeps getting bumped for information I/Bama am not looking for. Not trying to be mean.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
I think this is getting off topic from my initial question. I am just gathering information for them. As I said, that is what they asked. If noone has information to provide on the question, then please dont post. This thread keeps getting bumped for information I/Bama am not looking for. Not trying to be mean.

I think the reason you are not getting any info is that your question is not clear. Shift points for maximum performance are pretty much always at or near redline AFAIK. That will not work for a daily driver though, you need your tranny to upshift much sooner in regular traffic. What you really are asking is how aggressive will your auto react when you hit the gas, how easily will it kick down to a lower gear which is an entirely different thing. This can be adjusted in a tune but the settings will be influenced by the "adaptive learning" feature that all our cars have. Search "pulling fuse 47" for info on how to reset the feature and return your tune to original specs.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:57 PM   #15
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanaman3 View Post
I think the reason you are not getting any info is that your question is not clear. Shift points for maximum performance are pretty much always at or near redline AFAIK. That will not work for a daily driver though, you need your tranny to upshift much sooner in regular traffic. What you really are asking is how aggressive will your auto react when you hit the gas, how easily will it kick down to a lower gear which is an entirely different thing. This can be adjusted in a tune but the settings will be influenced by the "adaptive learning" feature that all our cars have. Search "pulling fuse 47" for info on how to reset the feature and return your tune to original specs.
Thanks man. Will give that a shot.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang