How reliable would you say your car has been? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-05-2015, 08:43 AM   #1

Region: New Jersey
How reliable would you say your car has been?

Hey there, I'm new. (I apologize if this is in the wrong section) I'm looking at buying a new car, and I've loved the new v6 mustangs ever since they first introduced them, but didn't want to buy a new car seeing as how my old car got me from point A to point B just fine, even if it was a bit of a clunker. Now, with the engine leaking oil from every possible gasket, the exhaust literally falling apart (it's broken in like 4 places) and body rot starting to consume the wheel wells, I'm thinking it might be time to finally throw in the towel and buy something I've wanted for a long time. I just found a 2012 Ford Mustang Mayhem (v6 w/perf. package) with only 25k miles for $16,000. It's a little expensive for my blood, honestly, but pretty reasonable all things considered. My question is, how reliable would you say the Ford Mustang will likely be? I know it's not exactly a question with a straightforward answer, but I've always been a Honda guy, so I know very little about Mustangs. Would it be likely to last 200k miles with regular maintenance and the occasional expensive repair? Or are these cars only good for the first 100k? I'm not looking for a simple yes or no, because reliability isn't really quantifiable. I'm looking more for educated guesses based on past experiences or second-hand experiences. I'm a recent college grad, not a business executive or even a trash collector, so I can't really go out and buy a new car the first time it needs a wheel bearing. And certainly can't afford to be throwing all kinds of money at it for repairs every other month. Soo...to the best of your knowledge (or guess) about how reliable would you say these cars are?
stayFrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2015, 08:54 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Just go for it. You wont regret it. These are really reliable. Built sturdy, strong motor, extremely fun to drive, and the aftermarket for these will make your head spin.
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:58 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
This is my 3rd v6 mustang ive owned. First made it to 270,000 miles and the other made it to 350000+ kilometers. Both were HEAVILY abused by me. One of them i rolled, engine ran for 2 hours with the car on its side. Spent a month or so fixin it at home and put another 50000+miles on it before it started to crap out. Pretty damn reliable cars
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2015, 09:03 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayFrosty View Post
It's a little expensive for my blood
I'd advise getting something you can comfortably afford. Especially since you seem to be a point A to point B type of guy. Go all out when you can afford it.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
I'd advise getting something you can comfortably afford. Especially since you seem to be a point A to point B type of guy. Go all out when you can afford it.
Well...there's a bit more to it than that. It's kinda irrelevant to the topic though.

By any normal person's metrics, I CAN comfortably afford it. I actually have enough saved that I could buy the car totally in cash if I wanted to, but I wouldn't have much of anything saved afterwards if I did that - and I like having that safety net. I'm a fiscally cautious type of person.

I also have a steady job, which pays well for my situation and age...but not very well for the area in which I live. Plus I still have student loans - they're not much, but they're there.

The reason I'm so cautious about that safety net is because after I graduated college, I pretty much discovered that I didn't want to do what I had majored in, and I fell into a job that isn't really my cup of tea. So I'm considering doing something else...like maybe going back to college or maybe a business venture...but I don't know what yet. But whatever I decide to do, well...everything costs money, and having money means I have options.

But...the car I have now is crapping out more and more by the day, and it's costing me more money than it's saving. So by keeping it, I'm really only being penny smart and dollar stupid. And unfortunately, they don't just give reliable cars away for nothing...and in the big picture of things, 16k for a car that's almost brand new really isn't too bad.

BUT - I haven't settled on anything yet, so getting a Mustang isn't set in stone. Right now I'm in the research phase, trying to gather information and weigh my options. Once I get more info, I'll look at my budget and crunch the numbers, to see if I really can afford it. If not, I'll look for something cheaper.

*As for being a point A to point B type of guy...haha, not really. I'm more of a sports car/streetbike type of guy (my streetbike sucks to drive when it starts getting cold though) I really only take my current car from point A to point B because I'm always afraid that it'll break down at the drop of a hat.

Although lately I've been slowing down a bit, starting to realize that tickets are expensive and car insurance isn't a joke. But I don't like driving like a grandma, and I never plan on getting married/having kids, so I don't like the thought of driving around a grocery-getter if I can avoid it. And I'll be dead before you catch me driving around in a minivan lol. (No offense to anyone who has to drive a minivan)
Old 03-05-2015, 09:21 AM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Quote:
I agree with what youre saying maybe this is too much money for you right now, but on the other hand is 16,000 "going all out"?? When I was looking for a car for my son in the 6-10,000 range there is a lot of high milage junk. He left for the Navy and bought himself a 2005 Pontiac GTO with 45,000 on it for 14,000. He loves it, full power with all the bells and whistles. I think now a days if yoyu want a nice reliable car you need to be willing to spend a little more. In the long run you'll be happier.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
I agree with what youre saying maybe this is too much money for you right now, but on the other hand is 16,000 "going all out"?? When I was looking for a car for my son in the 6-10,000 range there is a lot of high milage junk. He left for the Navy and bought himself a 2005 Pontiac GTO with 45,000 on it for 14,000. He loves it, full power with all the bells and whistles. I think now a days if yoyu want a nice reliable car you need to be willing to spend a little more. In the long run you'll be happier.
That's kinda my thoughts. Back in... 2009? The best I could do for $6000 was an 01 Honda Prelude SH with 160,000 miles, and the rear main seal blew out a week after I bought it "as is."

For being such a high mileage car, it's been fairly reliably and cheap to operate over the years. So even though I overpaid for it, it was -all things considered- worth it. But I've never really been happy with it, and now it's become a serious liability. It's not safe, it's not very fuel efficient (15mpg?), it's not reliable, and it's not fun to drive.

I could spend months looking around for a good condition, reliable car for 10k or less, but even then it's a crapshoot, and probably won't be a car I'll like....plus it might very well end up costing me thousands in repairs in the first week anyway, like the car I have now did.

Considering that, spending 16k on an almost brand new car that I know I'll love...seems fairly easily justifiable. But - like I said, nothing's set in stone yet. I'm willing to go cheaper if I have to.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:29 AM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

The Mustang is a fun and reliable car, just watch out for the mod bug, cause once you get it, it's hard to get rid of
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:31 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
If you want a good reliable cheap maintenance car look for a 94-05 Buick LeSabre...

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
If you want a good reliable cheap maintenance car look for a 94-05 Buick LeSabre...

Adventure till you drop
haha, my friend had one of those for the longest time. Well, I'm looking for reasonable reliability yes, but preferably something that doesn't look like my grandpa's car.

Brad Pitt would have trouble picking up girls in one of those haha
Old 03-05-2015, 11:03 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
haha, my friend had one of those for the longest time. Well, I'm looking for reasonable reliability yes, but preferably something that doesn't look like my grandpa's car.

Brad Pitt would have trouble picking up girls in one of those haha
Well based upon your statement, "something I've wanted for a long time", I'd say definitely go for it.
At 25K miles, if the tires are original, they're probably ready to be replaced. If so, and if it's a dealer, get them to throw in new tires.
Good luck!
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:03 AM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
They offer a supercharged 3.8L in those cars. My 01 Bonneville had the supercharged 3.8 and it was stout for what it was...

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:12 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I would consider waiting a little bit until you figured out your job situation, drive your car until it totally dies and then go for a `13-14' V6. I think those are going to be the ones that keep the most value, simply because it is the best designed Mustang and a lot of people prefer them over the '15. I bought an '11 V6 premium about 6 months ago. Had 62k miles on it. Dealership was asking 16k and I walked out paying 13.5k. My brother in law is quite a Mustang expert and told me not to worry about mileage. Oil changes are crucial, he said, so mine sees new oil every 3k to 5k miles. I don't regret getting an '11, it is beautiful, though I catch myself more and more lurking around a `13-14' 5.0. But that has to wait until my next job is safe, because I am also a full time student now.
derklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:16 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I just traded in my 2010 Ford Focus with 80,000 miles for this 2012 V6 Mustang with 12,000 miles about 5 weeks ago. I paid around 17k for it before trade in and money down. It came with a lifetime engine and transmission warranty from the dealer and then I paid a little extra for a 100,000 mile bumper to bumper (with no time expiration).

So far, it seems like I made an awesome decision. I love this car and it's really fun to drive and look at in our parking lot! My goal is to drive it to the 100,000 miles and then maybe trade up for a new model GT.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1425575656.074677.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	176728

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
aleXXXps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:43 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Well based upon your statement, "something I've wanted for a long time", I'd say definitely go for it.
At 25K miles, if the tires are original, they're probably ready to be replaced. If so, and if it's a dealer, get them to throw in new tires.
Good luck!
25k miles on the factory tires and probably ready to be replaced???????? I guess if dude was smoking those tires regularly.

I have 45k miles on my original tires and have a good 20k to go on them.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:45 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleXXXps View Post
I just traded in my 2010 Ford Focus with 80,000 miles for this 2012 V6 Mustang with 12,000 miles about 5 weeks ago. I paid around 17k for it before trade in and money down. It came with a lifetime engine and transmission warranty from the dealer and then I paid a little extra for a 100,000 mile bumper to bumper (with no time expiration).

So far, it seems like I made an awesome decision. I love this car and it's really fun to drive and look at in our parking lot! My goal is to drive it to the 100,000 miles and then maybe trade up for a new model GT.

Attachment 176728

Guess you plan on not performance modding anytime prior to your 100k mile warranty is up. God bless your restraint. I'm so weak. Ha ha
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:09 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Well I hadn't driven 300hp in 35 years. So it was the most amazing vehicle I had stepped into in a long time. It is extremely comfortable and the handling is second only to my 1977 trans am.....but it's very close! I love the sound system and I always have been a convertible guy! I got it for 15,500.00 2011 last fall with 35,000 on it! Love the car!!

sticks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:01 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

i've only had mine for a year, but i've read the 3.7 is quite the robust, sturdy engine. the only issues i've had are cosmetic (hood lip paint bubbling, and water sloshing in the rear panel)

other than that, she's been doing well
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:13 PM   #19
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
i've only had mine for a year, but i've read the 3.7 is quite the robust, sturdy engine. the only issues i've had are cosmetic (hood lip paint bubbling, and water sloshing in the rear panel)

other than that, she's been doing well

This.

The 3.7 is a great engine.

I also have the hood paint bubbling, but it's covered under the paint warranty which I believe is 5 years/unlimited miles. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I have no reservations about this car.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:14 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
25k miles on the factory tires and probably ready to be replaced???????? I guess if dude was smoking those tires regularly.

I have 45k miles on my original tires and have a good 20k to go on them.
I thought someone might have something to say about that. LOL
I was basing that on an assumption that the 12's had similar summer tires as my performance package does.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:46 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Consider DiESeven's advice carefully, stayFrosty. It's good counsel for any purchase. Yes, the V-6 Mustang is a sturdy and reliable machine, but you could likely find those qualities in another car for less. Just don't rush in - give this impending purchase some time to cool off. And regardless of what you buy, have it thoroughly checked out before the purchase.
cheval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:05 PM   #22
Kevin.Cook

Yea car dealers hate when you try to leave the lot after looking at a car. And they will do anything to pressure you into a ride. Stand your ground and tell them you are still shopping around.

Pop the hoods, take them for a test drive if possible, check tire tread, etc. Make sure to see a carfax first if its a pre owned.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

Last thing you need is someone else's old problem.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:00 PM   #23

Thanks for the advice. Except...I'm not going through a stealership, but a private owner. And while I've never gotten a job with my college degree, it's in automotive technology. So I know most of the things I need to look at when buying used. I'll still have it checked out by somebody with more actual hands-on experience than I have, but I know enough for a quick, initial evaluation to weed out cars with obvious issues.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:07 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
This.

The 3.7 is a great engine.

I also have the hood paint bubbling, but it's covered under the paint warranty which I believe is 5 years/unlimited miles. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I have no reservations about this car.
nope. it's only covered under 3 year new car warranty.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:18 PM   #25
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
My 2012 3.7 V6 automaticis is as reliable as my Rolex watch

Well, maybe not a Rolex but my 40 year old seico watch which only needs the battery replace about every two to three years.

Or my Glock,
I can't speak for other peoples cars or other years but this car is absolutely flawless and never had any problems at all.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:29 PM   #26
Kevin.Cook

Same here. Wether it has the stock tune or aftermarket. Or all stock parts or upgrades. These cars run very smooth. I love highway drives. Very relaxing. I will be keeping my car long after it is paid off.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:38 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I've gotten my best deals with private parties. Last October mine was advertised 17500....offered him 15500. He countered with 16,200.00! I said 15500.00 going once, twice.....he called me in a hour and caved!

sticks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:39 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Pretty okay

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
blackwolfndn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:01 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Guess you plan on not performance modding anytime prior to your 100k mile warranty is up. God bless your restraint. I'm so weak. Ha ha

I'm fighting the urge to mod it so hard right now. So far I only added tints, a remote start, and LED light conversion for the interior and plates. I want to add a Cat Back exhaust system, gears, tune, and a new air intake to it sooooo bad. Rims, too, but that's not a performance mod!

aleXXXps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:05 PM   #30

Ok, since private party selling price got brought up....

The car is 2012 v6 mustang "mayhem" with performance package. 25k miles, all stock except an aftermarket air filter. Mint condition other than being driven for 25k miles, and he has all the maintenance records.

He wants 16k, which is slightly less than blue book value. About what do you think I should offer if I have it all in cash?

(If he'll negotiate. I don't think he'll move much though, the price is fairly reasonable and he only wants to sell so he can buy an older, classic mustang.)

P.S. - What does "Mayhem" mean? Or is that just what the performance package 'stangs are called?
Old 03-05-2015, 06:16 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Ok, since private party selling price got brought up....

The car is 2012 v6 mustang "mayhem" with performance package. 25k miles, all stock except an aftermarket air filter. Mint condition other than being driven for 25k miles, and he has all the maintenance records.

He wants 16k, which is slightly less than blue book value. About what do you think I should offer if I have it all in cash?

(If he'll negotiate. I don't think he'll move much though, the price is fairly reasonable and he only wants to sell so he can buy an older, classic mustang.)

P.S. - What does "Mayhem" mean? Or is that just what the performance package 'stangs are called?
Mayhem is just the name for a Performance Package 3.7L Mustang.

Is it mint condition based on his word or have you already seen it in person and/or have pics that back up his claim? Also, do you know if it is Premium or not? Do you happen to have the VIN of his car? We can look up the window sticker that way to really see what the car came with from the factory.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:35 PM   #32
Kevin.Cook

Mayhem is just a nickname for the performance package. Is this a premium model or has any features? Like Sync, auto headlights, etc.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:15 PM   #33

Quote:
Mayhem is just the name for a Performance Package 3.7L Mustang.

Is it mint condition based on his word or have you already seen it in person and/or have pics that back up his claim? Also, do you know if it is Premium or not? Do you happen to have the VIN of his car? We can look up the window sticker that way to really see what the car came with from the factory.
Mint based on his word and the pictures I saw. I've yet to look at it. First I wanna call my insurance to see if it's even worth looking at. Can't buy a car you can't afford to insure.

I don't think it's premium, no. His ad didn't mention that, and I'm assuming it would mention it if it had it. Ups the resale value.

As far as whether or not it has the performance package, I cannot be sure. But I can see the 19" anodized wheels in the picture, and the big front tower strut brace. I wouldn't say that's conclusive, but it seems to point in the direction that it does have the performance package.

Does the performance package have any identifying badges or stickers? Cuz the car is flat black, and doesn't have any other badges other than the normal Ford ones that I can see.

It does have a VIN, I'll have to look it up. I no longer have access to mitchell or alldata, not since college, so what website would you recommend I use to run the VIN and find that info? (If I'm interested, which I pretty much am, I'm gonna have to run a vehicle history report anyway)
Old 03-05-2015, 07:46 PM   #34
Registered Member

Regular

I might be going against the current a bit here, but I think it would be hard to beat Honda reliability with a Ford. My 'stang has had more than its fair share of problems (mostly rear axle and suspension related). That said, my last car was a Focus and held up fairly well over almost 9 years of ownership.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:07 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 2014 v6 manual i paid 18000 for it so that might give you a better ball park for a 2012, i would say go 2013-2014 mostly due to bias the head lights and tail lights are much better looking imo, i also only pay 86 a month on insurance with full coverage through usaa its an incredible car the best v6 ford has ever made best suspension set up yet, an IRS is a waste of time if you know how to drive an get a watts link suspension you basically have an IRS minus a couple hundred pounds go for the mustang it'll make you happier even if you have a ****ty job [take my word for it haha] driving my car is an escape now and it was well worth it

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
swhitfield2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang