Putting bigger rims on - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-05-2015, 12:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Putting bigger rims on

Hey guys so I heard somewhere, when you put bigger rims on, you have to fix the odometer and the speedometer. So I've got a 2012 and I want to go from the stock 17' to either 18' or 19'. What all has to happen? Or can I just take it to a shop and they'll fix everything and put them on?
nelly012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2015, 12:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Coincidentally, I'm getting a cold air intake with a Diablo tuner. Idk if that helps.
nelly012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:21 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
I went to 20's and I didn't notice any issues with my speedometer. Even though your going to a bigger or smaller tire, as long as the overall diameter doesn't change much your fine. The tuner will fix this anyway.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2015, 01:44 PM   #4
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
you may need to put on new steering stops or your tire MAY rub at full lock. Cheap and easy...
Old 03-05-2015, 02:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah i went from the stock 17" rims to 20" with 35 series tires, didn't notice that much of a difference, I believe American muscle has a calculator for that which estimates the difference, i believe mine was a 2mph difference, not to big in my opinion
RomanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:17 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

You should because your odometer will be off the reason for this is the circumfrance lf the wheel will be different changing the ratio your engine relies on for speed per turn of the wheel ironically most manufacturers over set odometers so you cant blame it for speeding, so increasing the size of your rims can actually make the odometer correct, it will only be off a few mph its not like its gonna say youre not moving when youre going 20 so its not a huge deal, i would just because its quick easy an cheap to get done at a shop

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
swhitfield2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly012 View Post
Hey guys so I heard somewhere, when you put bigger rims on, you have to fix the odometer and the speedometer. So I've got a 2012 and I want to go from the stock 17' to either 18' or 19'. What all has to happen? Or can I just take it to a shop and they'll fix everything and put them on?
As someone has already mentioned, it's the tire diameter that makes the difference in speedometer accuracy. Not the rim diameter. There are many sites where you can plug in your current rim/tire size and compare to what you want to go to and/or will show what size combinations are available to match or come close.
If you're getting a tuner than it doesn't matter much but you can still look to see how much of a difference there will be. It actually affects your final drive ratio a bit similar to a gear change.
Here's a couple of sites you can check out.
Tire Size Calculator
Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit

The second site being more for general fitment.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:59 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Like they all say. with a tune no biggie just give them the tire size and they will adjust the speedo in your tune. Tire size important wheel size isnt
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:47 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
The difference is negligible. Your speedometer is probably off already by 1 or 2 mph from the factory. Now if your going donk with 26" wheels then ok.
Drive by a speed trailer that displays "your speed" you'll find your speedometer is probably already showing you're going 60 and the radar says 57.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang