MGP caliper covers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-05-2015, 07:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
MGP caliper covers

So I tried researching about caliper covers some say they eliminate brake dust on the rims others say they dont, my rims are stock an they almost turn grey with dust and i was my car ever week to 2 weeks with limited driving, getting tired of the rag that is now black from cleaning my rims i decided to buy a set on amazon for about 150 i believe? Might have been 125, great deal for a set of 4, i will be installing them this weekend when i get the time but i figured id keep this post to show the difference they actually make, along with the quality of the build

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
swhitfield2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2015, 07:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

These are the pictures of the caliper covers they have clips that bolt then to the rotor allowing 0.132 inches of space between the rotor, they provide a strip of paper to test the distancing, they are extremely nice looking and the tig welds are high quality, no scratches or chips or dents in the powder coating

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1425606529620.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	176756   Click image for larger version

Name:	1425606544289.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	176758  

Name:	1425606556593.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	176759   Click image for larger version

Name:	1425606570011.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	176760  

Name:	1425606583236.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	176761  
Old 03-05-2015, 08:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Great buy, I love mine. Keep in mind you might need some wheel spacers pending what kinda wheels you have. I was advised from AM that with my stock wheels that I should get the 5/16" spacers for clearance for the new caliper covers. Her are a couple pics of the quality I got from AM as well as the spacers on.

Hope this helps.

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1425608148.546483.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	176763Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1425608166.762591.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	176764
rringler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2015, 08:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Ya those look great man thanks for the addition i have 1in on the rear and none one the front, althought the 2014 stock rims have a bit of a cutout on the inside but thanks ill make sure to doublr check that, its suck if they scrapped when i drive off haha

Old 03-06-2015, 07:53 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 2014 with those covers and they don't hit, I have the MCA 18" rims. The only problem I have with scrapping are the clips that hold them on they hit the top of the rotor.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
2014_MCA_Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:51 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I believe you can adjust that they provide a piece of paper that is supposed to test the distancing, it probably isnt a huge deal but it might be fixable?

Old 03-06-2015, 09:56 AM   #7
Kevin.Cook

You gonna link us to this amazing vendor with good pricing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 09:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

I always been hesitant to spend 190-200 on AM. Good item, but price is a bit high.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:44 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Spacers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rringler View Post
Great buy, I love mine. Keep in mind you might need some wheel spacers pending what kinda wheels you have. I was advised from AM that with my stock wheels that I should get the 5/16" spacers for clearance for the new caliper covers. Her are a couple pics of the quality I got from AM as well as the spacers on.

Hope this helps.

Attachment 176763Attachment 176764
I have the caliper covers and love them! I had to order the spacers for my chrome bullitts.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
You gonna link us to this amazing vendor with good pricing?

---------- Post added at 09:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

I always been hesitant to spend 190-200 on AM. Good item, but price is a bit high.

Ya its just on amazon.com the company that makes them is MGP, i only noticed cause it was a recommendation based on what i buy on amazon just go to amazon.com search your model an year the MGP caliper covers they will come up

Old 03-06-2015, 12:58 PM   #10
Kevin.Cook

Gotcha. I would always search ebay and most sets were 190-200 there also.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:44 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Mine have been on for almost three years now.

They look as good as the day I put them on. They absolutely do keep the break dust off the wheels. Someone on you-tube once did a test and found they really do act as a heat sync and the calipers do run cooler when using the breaks a lot.

I hate those very extremely "UGLY repulsive looking brake calipers that someone at Ford decided to save a nickel on to save $$$$ on a great car like the Mustang. I was so happy to see the covers I just bought them right away. One of my first mods in 2012.

I thought of painting them but then they would still be ugly but painted. DUH !
I also have 18 inch MCA wheels and had no problem with fitting them.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:54 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I just got a set on autoanything.com. They're $199 for a set of four but they currently have a 20% coupon code which makes them $159.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Grabber Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 03:39 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the post ronnie thats an awesome looking mustang, and i will put mine in this weekend im excited to see the look an not have to scrub my rims anymore, i might even just buy the new rims before i deploy, im getting far too impatient, but the ones i got on amazon were i think $150 or $125 ill double check, i didnt want the 3.7 on the rear, not that im trying to hide that i have a v6 but i just liked the tribar a bit better, i really wish they still made the rtr read decklid panel id buy that in a heart beat

Old 03-06-2015, 04:05 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
They look as good as the day I put them on. They absolutely do keep the break dust off the wheels. Someone on you-tube once did a test and found they really do act as a heat sync and the calipers do run cooler when using the breaks a lot.

I hate those very extremely "UGLY repulsive looking brake calipers that someone at Ford decided to save a nickel on to save $$$$ on a great car like the Mustang. I was so happy to see the covers I just bought them right away. One of my first mods in 2012.

I thought of painting them but then they would still be ugly but painted. DUH !
I also have 18 inch MCA wheels and had no problem with fitting them.
Ronnie
Btw where is that show at that your car is in?

Old 03-06-2015, 06:25 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

It was on Feb.28th 2015 in Longwood Florida

It rained on and off all day but it still was a lot of fun.
I won a Daily Driver "GOLD" award.
About 255 cars there90% Mustangs.

It was a Ford / Mustang only show.
Ronnie
Old 03-06-2015, 06:27 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Nice is that something local to your area?

Old 03-06-2015, 09:10 PM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

It is once a year about 60 miles or so from my house

My car was spotless and ready that morning, When I had to drive out into a huge downpour it sure did not make me to happy. I drove over to Deland to meet up with some club members at 6:30am. Had a breakfast sandwich and on to Longwood in a caravan. We got to the event a little after 7:30 and they parked us according to the body style. The guy put my car on the end. A perfect place.
The rain had stopped and everybody got to cleaning up their cars. I use Croftgate waterless car wash spray and was all done in about 20 or 30 minutes.
Of course it started raining again. It sure did not ruin the show though. People just got out umbrellas and rain gear and acted like the sun was out. There were vendors and even the big Ford truck was there. This is held on the streets of Longwood and just a great place to have this show.

Here is a you-tube movie I did of the show. I did as much as I could but there was still four or five streets I missed.
http://youtu.be/WclSk03uEvg

Here in the central Florida area there is always a show or drag racing or something going on for "CAR PEOPLE" Not much gets cancelled unless it is just a small cruise in type event.
In the Daytona Area there is a cruise in at some restaurant every single night of the week.
I love where I live and would not take a billion dollars to move back North. I have been here since 1978. Was vacationing here before I moved here.
Ronnie
Old 03-07-2015, 03:36 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like an awesome area, i just installed the caliper covers outside in the dark with a motivated buddy and a flashlight headstrap haha so i found out what someone said earlier about needing spacer on the fron its actually the brake pad retaining pins stick the cover out more than it should, you can bend them down or twist them like i did it says to in the instructions i recieved, and then smacked it a few times then tightened it and now its a perfect fit, putting the front on confused me a bit they used 2 bags for the clips to hold it on

I thought each back was for a caliper, no you need a pin from each for each caliper, almost started modifying the clips when it didnt line up, but then realized the packs were two different types of clips for the different sides of the caliper haha rear calipers were very straight forward they look great pretty much cover the whole caliper
There is a slight sliver of it you can see if you get up close but you cant make a cover ungodly large so i think its best the way it is

After bending the retainer pins the front covers fit like a dream, maybe a bit more than 1/8in space between cover an caliper on the front with stock rims and no spacers, back has 1in spacers so it has plenty of room, i couldve probably put them on without even taking the wheel off actually, im very satisfied with them overall, one is a bit knicked up due to some little boot **** tripping over it walking between my car and another in the parking lot, about threw it through the back of his head as he walked away thankfully its not aweful, but just take note they do scratch very easily on parking lot ground or if you touch them with the rims not realizing the retainer pins make it stick out that scratches it a bit too

Old 03-07-2015, 03:43 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

These are pictures after installation, it was a night, tomorrow ill take some more with the rims on, (keep in mind they are stock, not very attractive) but it should give everyone an idea of the look with stock rims, for being just over $100 and coming in the mail in 2 days, especially with the drastic change in appearance to my car im ecstatic tl have them on now, even more than before, makes me wanna just buy the gt500 staggered wheels already, tomorrow ill have pictures, until then, thanks to everyone who took the time to read my post/mini-novel with the longest run-on sentence in existence i sincerely hope you took breaths on the comas.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1425721137204.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	176864   Click image for larger version

Name:	1425721149554.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	176865  

Name:	1425721162208.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	176866  
Old 03-07-2015, 09:40 AM   #20
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Looking good!

For anyone curious, last year I contacted the company that makes them. You can have them custom made (I don't like the look of the fake rivets) with a wide variety of logos and stuff for about the same as the sets run. I was thinking of getting a set in black, but after seeing some of yall's, I am going to go with yellow and have the running pony in black.

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:47 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
nice !
Old 03-07-2015, 09:54 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I picked up a set of these on sale last year from AM. Very high quality piece and keeps the wheels much cleaner. No clearance issue on my stock wheels. I first painted the calipers silver but even the paint could not mask how ugly the rotors are. I am very happy with them so far.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:01 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds great, ya i just didnt wanna pay for the custom set haha but i have updated pictures now, the stock rims pretty much cover them sadly

Old 03-07-2015, 08:02 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

As you can see it was kind of hard to get a good picture of them didnt have a whole lot of room in the parking lot an the rims cover much of them, with new rims km sure itll look even better

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1425780105046.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	176939   Click image for larger version

Name:	1425780117677.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	176940  

Old 03-07-2015, 08:59 PM   #25
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Don't worry--They do look fine

They actually make your calipers look a whole lot better then the repulsive ugly calipers. They are one of those small things you do that don't stand out like a flash bulb but make the wheels look 100% great.
I think they look really good with the wheels you have.
Ronnie
Old 03-08-2015, 03:15 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I appreciate it they do look good, even with the stock rims i think youre right, they are definitely a big improvement

Old 03-09-2015, 03:53 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Hello

How hard are they to install?

2015 Roush RS1 Premium w PP
Roush Performance upgrade-- Tinted Windows
JLT Catch Can--Ford Racing Strut Brace
Flowmaster scavenger "Y" pipe resonator delete
b2673ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:01 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Very easy. Just remove the wheels and put them on! Takes about an hour to do all four. There's a YouTube video too which helps. Just type in mustang caliper cover install YouTube and you should find it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Grabber Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:40 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

The reply above is right but just as some extra information its two clips that fit on each end of the existing caliper that bolt to the cover, very straight forward and simple took me about 30 min with just a tiny jack i bought at autozone a while back a multi tool, and tire iron

Old 03-09-2015, 09:20 PM   #30
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

just don't twist off the studs

I put blue lock-tite on my studs and just snugged down the nuts
AlRonnieso, Be sure to check the clearance so the wheel won't scrape.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:00 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Does AM sell the spacers too? I put one on and they fit fine, even when I tested them with the slip of paper that comes with them, but I hear them running whenever I'm not driving in a straight line.

Sent from my iPhone using, my iPhone
MikeMcDema05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:17 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcDema05 View Post
Does AM sell the spacers too? I put one on and they fit fine, even when I tested them with the slip of paper that comes with them, but I hear them running whenever I'm not driving in a straight line.

Yes they do. The clips are prob still scraping the top of the rotor. I did the paper thing as well and thought I would be good but still made a slight sound here and there. Just had to readjust the clip a little. Kind of a pain but at least it was only doing this on one wheel.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:44 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Thanks man, I'll try that, but I'll look at most of them because I can't figure out which wheels, if not all of them, are doing it.

MikeMcDema05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:52 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
How do you what kind of wheel spacers your rims need? In order for them not to touch the disk pad?

2013 Red Candy 3.7, MPT Tune, Afraid intake, BBK shortys, BBK mid-pipe w/cats, Borla Ataks, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears, LED Fog Lights, California Special Black Spoiler. Raxiom interior LED dome lights, Raxiom license plate LED lights, blacked out all side and back markers and tail lights.
Lambo345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:55 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo345 View Post
How do you what kind of wheel spacers your rims need? In order for them not to touch the disk pad?

2013 Red Candy 3.7, MPT Tune, Afraid intake, BBK shortys, BBK mid-pipe w/cats, Borla Ataks, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears, LED Fog Lights, California Special Black Spoiler. Raxiom interior LED dome lights, Raxiom license plate LED lights, blacked out all side and back markers and tail lights.

I just went with the 5/16". I called AM and asked them what they recommended for the wheels I have. Maybe give them a quick call or PM one of the AM guys on here.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang