Wastegate on a supercharger?!?! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-06-2015, 11:10 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Wastegate on a supercharger?!?!

Hey guys I was wondering if any of you have heard of this? Wastegate on a Procharger?? I hardly know anything about what a wastegate is (so if you could explain it that'd be awesome) other than the fact that you can put it on a turbo. I have a procharger and someone told me that I should put a wastegate on it... is that possible... has anyone seen/done it?? Thanks!
blackwolfndn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2015, 11:42 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
A wastegate will bleed off pressure above a threshold. If you have a 10lb wastegate, anything over 10 psi will be vented out and not sent to the engine. If you run a smaller pulley that would generate say 14 psi with a 10 lb wastegate, where you would normally see 10-14 psi you would now only see 10 psi for that entire stretch.

Here, I made a quick illustration for you:

Gyazo - f39500b85dc16a92af49e564a227cd6b.png
Old 03-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I am curious to learn more too. Is this mainly for consistency or safety? Or both? I am assuming that you wantot regulate the boost especially when you are running stock internals. This I would think keeps the boost in a safe range based on whatever safe is for your internals. Are there benefits beyond that? Any negatives?
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2015, 12:01 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesStang View Post
I am curious to learn more too. Is this mainly for consistency or safety? Or both? I am assuming that you wantot regulate the boost especially when you are running stock internals. This I would think keeps the boost in a safe range based on whatever safe is for your internals. Are there benefits beyond that? Any negatives?
I was told it would be more consistant, safe, and increase a substantial amount of torque.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:46 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
You're all kind of right, just touching on different parts of it.

A supercharger is always consistent, plain and simple, boost raises proportionally to RPMs.

The purpose the wastegate serves is to fatten up the midrange. With a Centrifugal supercharger like the procharger, with a 10 psi pulley, you will likely see 10 psi at redline. This means the rest of the pull is somewhere lower than 10 psi. This is very important to understand, that whatever the pulley you're running is, that is essentially your "max boost."

The perks of adding the wastegate, would be to run 10 psi the entire pull. A wastegate's primary (or at least main) use is controlling boost on a turbo. The Wastegate is either attached to the exhaust manifold, or the turbine housing itself, and controls the amount of exhaust gas allowed to enter the turbine housing of the turbo. Less exhaust, less boost ... By taking this same strategy on the procharger, you can basically put a 15 psi pulley on the procharger, but a 10 psi wastegate on your charge pipes and generally see 10 psi much sooner than redline.
This does fatten up the midrange substantially, because you're obviously seeing a tremendous increase in flow compared to just the simple 10 psi spring. Obviously you run into efficiency concerns with running the blower harder (namely, hotter charge temps) but thats a discussion for another time.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 03:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
You're all kind of right, just touching on different parts of it.

A supercharger is always consistent, plain and simple, boost raises proportionally to RPMs.

The purpose the wastegate serves is to fatten up the midrange. With a Centrifugal supercharger like the procharger, with a 10 psi pulley, you will likely see 10 psi at redline. This means the rest of the pull is somewhere lower than 10 psi. This is very important to understand, that whatever the pulley you're running is, that is essentially your "max boost."

The perks of adding the wastegate, would be to run 10 psi the entire pull. A wastegate's primary (or at least main) use is controlling boost on a turbo. The Wastegate is either attached to the exhaust manifold, or the turbine housing itself, and controls the amount of exhaust gas allowed to enter the turbine housing of the turbo. Less exhaust, less boost ... By taking this same strategy on the procharger, you can basically put a 15 psi pulley on the procharger, but a 10 psi wastegate on your charge pipes and generally see 10 psi much sooner than redline.
This does fatten up the midrange substantially, because you're obviously seeing a tremendous increase in flow compared to just the simple 10 psi spring. Obviously you run into efficiency concerns with running the blower harder (namely, hotter charge temps) but thats a discussion for another time.
Where would it mount on the procharger? Where could i buy one?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-06-2015, 03:58 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Where would be the best place to mount it??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	176830  
Old 03-06-2015, 04:23 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

In my mind i would mount it on the hotside and vent hot air so my intercooler has to do less work. The current kits on the 5.0 however mount it on the cold side... i dont know if this is due to packaging constraints, or if there is some reason i'm over thinking. Maybe the density of the air makes it not a true "10 psi" when venting pre intercooler vs post. At any rate, i guess dont fix what aint broken and just stick it on the cold side.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:56 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Since the maf sensor is on the intercooler, wont it throw off thw AFR if you put the Wastegate AFTER the intercooler??
Old 03-06-2015, 05:41 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico

The picture is of beefcake racings wastegate set up on a 5.0

Cyclone mustangs member pedro this the wastegate on his procharger setup and made a lot more torqe then people without one running the same pulley

2011 Mustang V6 auto/procharger p1sc kit with 3.70 pulley/circle d 3200 stall/4:10 gears/dss aluminum driveshaft/tial q bov/bbk long tubes with catted x pipe/dynomax ultra flo catback/bbk throttle body/accel super coils/cyclone ported upper and lower intake manifolds/brembo front brake kit
INSTAGRAM @2011fastford505
2011fastford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:43 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwolfndn View Post
Since the maf sensor is on the intercooler, wont it throw off thw AFR if you put the Wastegate AFTER the intercooler??

YES! i wasnt aware the MAF was in the intercooler ( didnt pay close enough attention to the diagram) since on the 5.0 it appears to just be in the cold side charge pipe. So, for the 3.7, it appears it would need to be on the hotside.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:09 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Anybody running this setup on this forum?
What is the safest, yet getting the benefit of this setup, for street/daily driving in tropical climate?
Was considering a 12 psi pulley wastegating it to 8 psi. Would it stress too much the procharger head unit?
Also worried about belt slip issues considering the 3.7 only has 6 ribs.
Any input is very appreciated.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:07 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonyxz View Post
Anybody running this setup on this forum?
What is the safest, yet getting the benefit of this setup, for street/daily driving in tropical climate?
Was considering a 12 psi pulley wastegating it to 8 psi. Would it stress too much the procharger head unit?
Also worried about belt slip issues considering the 3.7 only has 6 ribs.
Any input is very appreciated.
Regarding belt slip, you could look into carbinite coating which would minimize or prevent it entirely but keep in mind you'll be replacing the belt much more frequently.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:06 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Well...here's the answer I got from MPT this morning: "We?ve tested a wastegated setup on a 3.7L and concluded it was not entirely viable due to belt slip and the lack of a 8-rib solution for this motor."
Old 10-31-2017, 10:30 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonyxz View Post
Well...here's the answer I got from MPT this morning: "We?ve tested a wastegated setup on a 3.7L and concluded it was not entirely viable due to belt slip and the lack of a 8-rib solution for this motor."
As mentioned above, I've seen good results with this on SC pullies and eliminating belt slip. The down side is it makes the belt an annual or more frequent maintenance item depending on how much you drive. http://www.carbiniteracing.com
Old 10-31-2017, 10:46 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, looks like you need to pulley down quite a bit to see substantial torque benefits.
With a 6 rib pulley a carbonite abrasive is a needed option making it a more maintnance dependant setup

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang