CAI Opinion - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-09-2015, 09:55 AM   #1

Region: Virginia
CAI Opinion

Any opinions on JLT vs. Airaid, no tune CAIs.
bscorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2015, 10:06 AM   #2
Kevin.Cook

Its really a matter of which is more eye appealing to you.

I have always been more fond of the look of the Airaid. The way it sits seems more appealing to me vs. something that kinda just looks thrown in there.

I like my CAIs like my women, curvy. And Airaid knows this! LOL
Old 03-09-2015, 11:29 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I have the Roush CAI. Exact same as airaid except badging and the Roush being $30 more expensive.

I like it. Has a near factory finish and it whooshes a little when you rev. It also brings out the growl in the exhaust. I have Roush ab as well and the combo sounds good.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2015, 11:34 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
CAI Opinion

Double post.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:34 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have the airaid and love it.
rringler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #6
Kevin.Cook

As far as performance, CAIs vs Stock do not do alot for our cars. Besides eye candy and maybe a whoosh every now and then. The ones that may offer a difference is the ones like Steeda offers. Just pick one that you would like to see under the hood.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:30 PM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bscorey View Post
Any opinions on JLT vs. Airaid, no tune CAIs.
Airaid is 50 state legal and has the C.A.R.B. Exemption Order for California for the 2011-2014 3.7L V6 Mustang. Here's the thead. Go to the end of the thread, I think the last 6 posts has the info.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Got a liquidation special on my air raid ! 199.00.... For that price I LOVE IT!! It does add some bling under the hood!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
sticks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
A tune & CAI will yield the best HP & Torque!

If you are interested in the comb ... you can check out Steeda's unit here:

Steeda 2011-14 V6 Mustang Cold Air Intake - Made in the USA 555-3159 - Free Shipping!

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:44 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
A tune & CAI will yield the best HP & Torque!

If you are interested in the comb ... you can check out Steeda's unit here:

Steeda 2011-14 V6 Mustang Cold Air Intake - Made in the USA 555-3159 - Free Shipping!

Best Regards,

TJ
Did you mean to include this link?
Steeda 2011-14 V6 Mustang Power Pack - Made in USA 555-3938 - Free Shipping!
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Airaid sure looks/sounds good. Just don't look at your AIT gauge while in heavy traffic in the summer. Mine in FL would run 40-50 degrees above ambient. Once past 45-50 mph it would cool to ambient. It did sound good though. I did take it off for a AFE drop in. Likely to get an Airaid MIT for sound, it's awesome.
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:42 PM   #12

I have an Airraid... Completely changed the sound of my stang from inside the cabin. I highly recommend it

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
V6Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:33 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
CAI = hot air intake that impresses teenagers by its looks and causes more check engine lights than running 50% Redbull in your gas tank.
If you can even "hear" it, you're driving a V6 with stock exhaust, your radio off and windows open.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:23 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
CAI = hot air intake that impresses teenagers by its looks and causes more check engine lights than running 50% Redbull in your gas tank.
If you can even "hear" it, you're driving a V6 with stock exhaust, your radio off and windows open.

Lol.. Someone's upset

Dhawk1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:00 AM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhawk1313 View Post
Lol.. Someone's upset

Or speaks a bit of truth. Not aware of check engine lights being an issue, but as far as performance gains, very little if any over stock. Great eye candy for some. The tuner is the way to go for "performance bang for the buck".
Old 03-10-2015, 06:06 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
CAI Opinion

I know for fact on a Boss 302 a CAI actually reduced HP by 8. Now I'm sure a tune might get some or all of it back but that would be pretty pointless to spend the money on the CAI and the tune to just get back to square one and lose the Track Key in the process. They do look nice and may change the sound but unless you have F/I don't expect to see a whole lot. Unless you have done other mods to change things in a lot of cases the aftermarket CAI causes a loss in velocity which nets little to no gains or some cases a loss in power.

dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:23 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhawk1313 View Post
Lol.. Someone's upset

No..Lol! But seriously I just think it's funny people buy and install "CAIs" thinking it's doing anything to make their Mustang faster or even hear it. It's mildly noticeable on even a quiter four cylinder turbo let alone a Mustang, even a V6... Especially those with ABs.
Oiled ones can even cause problems ..while they're sucking in all that hot juicy air under your hood, your MAF sensor is inches away getting a hot oil bath. Yayyyyyy a check engine light! I'll blow the welds on my intake manifold. Right Dom?
Reminds me of all the other "quality" performance stick on mods available at your local Autozone.
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2015, 08:39 AM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Ran an AEM CAI with oiled filter in my 2004 Mazda6 V6 for 9 years, no engine lights. Been running an Airaid CAI with an oiled filter in my 2013 Mustang V6 for almost 2 years, no engine lights. Nothing wrong with oiled filters, just gotta know what you're doing. If you're worried about an oiled filter and how to maintain it, get a dry filter. Airaid sells both. Go for whatever makes ya happy. Your car, your call.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
Old 03-10-2015, 08:45 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

As someone mentioned before, don't forget to add the "Synthetic Washer Fluid".

CS Upper/Lower Grill | GT Mufflers | JLT Catch Can | PP Engine Cover | Steeda PH Brace | JDM Adj PH bar | AMR 18x9 Dark Stainless -Cont Contact Sport 235-55x18 | Roush Vent Pod/Oil Pressure Gauge | Airaid MIT - aFe Pro S |MMD Hood Struts | Prev Maint Rear Axle Vent tube, Radiator degass tube
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:35 AM   #20
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1425998126.586270.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	177102
Old 03-10-2015, 10:16 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I definitely noticed the sound when I stomped on it...just sayin me personally! No lights or any problem at all.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:29 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Check with this OP to see which "CAI" he's running. Don't mind the issues he says he's having with his 2013 that basically just has a tune and CAI. They're probably not the cause.
Taking this car to the dealer
Old 03-10-2015, 12:24 PM   #23
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Um, the OP of that link has a '13 GT.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:43 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
Check with this OP to see which "CAI" he's running. Don't mind the issues he says he's having with his 2013 that basically just has a tune and CAI. They're probably not the cause.
Taking this car to the dealer
You have to consider the sample size. For every car that has an issue, how many have not had an issue?
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:42 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I've had an Airaid on my '14 V6 for a little over 8 months now with no issues. This is just my personal experience, but I could definitely hear a difference between the Airaid and stock. I love it. I probably would not spend $300 on one (I got lucky and got a really good deal off craigslist), and I realize it doesn't affect HP, but for what I spent, I'm happy.
Pretzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:22 PM   #26
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Who cares if it don't add 100 horsepower

Throw an Airaid on a 3.7 V6, Pop the hood and it looks just plain awsum. It is great "EYE" candy and I have had mine on for over three years and NO OVERHEATING,NO OTHER PROBLEMS I live in Florida where it really gets hot in the summer and my car has never ever got hot.

I doubt this Airaid even pulls more air then the stock 2012 cold air box. It just looks great and the sound is absolutely perfect when I mash the throttle.
Of course I run the stock factory tune and a set of Magnaflows.

If your planning on keeping the Mustang for a long time, It is worth every cent you spend on things to get it your way. If your gonna be trading every year it would be best to just drive it and keep it stock.
I usually don't buy stuff for my Mustang I need but I do Buy stuff for my Mustang I "WANT" and I plan on keeping my Red Ryder for a lot of years. ( Even if I hit the Lotto)
Ronnie
ronnie948 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:57 PM   #27
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I heard that, right back at ya!

+1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	V6engine.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	177163  
Old 03-10-2015, 10:22 PM   #28
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
Dont tell me you on some spider-man kick and took a pic hanging from the hood....
Old 03-11-2015, 04:41 AM   #29
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Throw an Airaid on a 3.7 V6, Pop the hood and it looks just plain awsum. It is great "EYE" candy and I have had mine on for over three years and NO OVERHEATING,NO OTHER PROBLEMS I live in Florida where it really gets hot in the summer and my car has never ever got hot.

I doubt this Airaid even pulls more air then the stock 2012 cold air box. It just looks great and the sound is absolutely perfect when I mash the throttle.
Of course I run the stock factory tune and a set of Magnaflows.

If your planning on keeping the Mustang for a long time, It is worth every cent you spend on things to get it your way. If your gonna be trading every year it would be best to just drive it and keep it stock.
I usually don't buy stuff for my Mustang I need but I do Buy stuff for my Mustang I "WANT" and I plan on keeping my Red Ryder for a lot of years. ( Even if I hit the Lotto)
Ronnie
Overheating issues with a CAI?

That's a new one!
Old 03-11-2015, 07:25 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Overheating issues with a CAI?

That's a new one!
I assumed he was referring to the Intake air temp rise when not moving, which some people mention.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:32 AM   #31
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I assumed he was referring to the Intake air temp rise when not moving, which some people mention.
Whew! Thanks for clearing that up for me.

In his CAI, that is an issue, as the rubber seam used does not completely seal around the hood, so some warm engine air is going to be drawn in. This may or may not be an issue though.

But it is nice eye candy.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:58 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Old 03-11-2015, 07:58 AM   #33
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Read a previous post by SHADETREE43

He did say this:
Quote:
Airaid sure looks/sounds good. Just don't look at your AIT gauge while in heavy traffic in the summer. Mine in FL would run 40-50 degrees above ambient. Once past 45-50 mph it would cool to ambient. It did sound good though. I did take it off for a AFE drop in. Likely to get an Airaid MIT for sound, it's awesome.
My opinion is it really had absolutely not a thing to do with adding A Airaid or any other CAI to a car.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:23 AM   #34
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Dont tell me you on some spider-man kick and took a pic hanging from the hood....
Sorry about that, don't know why the picture uploaded upside down, but I corrected it
Old 03-11-2015, 08:30 AM   #35
Kevin.Cook

Only other time i seen a car act irregularly is when the person doesnt tighten or seal in the MAF sensor correctly. So the car goes berserk because it cannot read the airflow 100% correctly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai