3.73 gears - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-09-2015, 11:36 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
3.73 gears

After much debate....I ordered my gears first, before I get the tuner. This mod scares me a little. It's expensive to reverse it. But, it only makes sense to do the gears first then the tune. So, anxiously waiting for shipment from AM. After the tune I am definitely done for the year! I have already added Air Raid CAI, SR. lowering Springs, MBRP axle back mufflers, 2013 GT 19" Wheels and Pirelli Tires. Gonna get me some hole shot next with the Gears!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
sticks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2015, 11:37 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
When are you planning on getting the tuner? Your speedo will be off by quite a bit until then.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:43 AM   #3
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
When are you planning on getting the tuner? Your speedo will be off by quite a bit until then.

^^ This! Unless you have a buddy that will correct the speedo for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2015, 11:44 AM   #4
Kevin.Cook

Unless you are in Austin, TX. Then maybe we could meet up and we could try to use my VCM tool to correct it.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:00 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I would had got a tuner first honestly! Gears without a tune really arent good. Once tuned for those gears its a big difference!
-SOLD-13.246s@107.81 RaceRed 2013 v6 Mustang, 3.73 gears, MPT 91Race Tune, Axle-Back Straight Pipe, Tower Brace, BMR LCA's, BBK Shorty Headers, BMR Relocation Brackets, Lethal Performance X-Pipe Catless.
-2008 Civic SI...
RaceRed3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Well with a tuner you get 3 custom tunes with mpt. You send them your mods....gear ratio included! If I did the tunes first it would be with the stock gears. Then I would have to pay for new tunes when I get the gears! I'm going to get the tuner right after I get the gears installed!!

Old 03-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks123 View Post
Well with a tuner you get 3 custom tunes with mpt. You send them your mods....gear ratio included! If I did the tunes first it would be with the stock gears. Then I would have to pay for new tunes when I get the gears! I'm going to get the tuner right after I get the gears installed!!

The gear ratio doesn't matter on the actual tune file that you get from who ever you get your tunes from.

For example, if you have a tune for CAI and nothing else (on stock 2.73s), you can reupload that exact same tune and change the gear ratio to 3.73 yourself on your tuner device.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:20 PM   #8
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
The gear ratio doesn't matter on the actual tune file that you get from who ever you get your tunes from.

For example, if you have a tune for CAI and nothing else (on stock 2.73s), you can reupload that exact same tune and change the gear ratio to 3.73 yourself on your tuner device.

Very true. As well as your tire revs per mile/tire size.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:27 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Well with these gotta be a mid to low 13 sec street car. Very respectable and possibly fast enough to hustle a friends!!

Old 03-09-2015, 01:21 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
R u auto or manual? If a manual, the only thing that will be off will be your speedo and odometer, as it will add more milage to your car unnecessarily. If auto I highly suggest you get a tuner before you do your gears as your transmission will shift awkwardly because your car will still think it has the stock gears. The tune will take into account your new gear ratio and adjust you shift points. Either way I suggest you get the tuner!

2013 Candy Apple Red 3.7, Roush Axel Backs, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers,Barton shifter bracket, Bama tuned, SR lowering Springs, J&M adjustable pan hard bar, 3.73 Ford Racing gears, GT 500 spoiler, Upper and lower modern billit grill, 2010 GT Premium 19" wheels, GT 500 stripes, Painted mirror covers, MMD Billitt fuel door. 2014 Premium cluster, Chrome mustang shifter knob,
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:30 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Well with these gotta be a mid to low 13 sec street car. Very respectable and possibly fast enough to hustle a friends!!

Dont race any 335i's You will be sad.. Watch out for those rich kids!
BTW MPT will upgrade small stuff like tire size for free mostly and you get free 6month upgraded tunes. They are pretty nice.
-SOLD-13.246s@107.81 RaceRed 2013 v6 Mustang, 3.73 gears, MPT 91Race Tune, Axle-Back Straight Pipe, Tower Brace, BMR LCA's, BBK Shorty Headers, BMR Relocation Brackets, Lethal Performance X-Pipe Catless.
-2008 Civic SI...
RaceRed3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

550S??

Old 03-09-2015, 05:44 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceRed3.7 View Post
Dont race any 335i's You will be sad.. Watch out for those rich kids!

BTW MPT will upgrade small stuff like tire size for free mostly and you get free 6month upgraded tunes. They are pretty nice.

I raced one before winter. Not really impressed with its performance, wont lie it was quick a hell but my car held its own against it when i didnt expect it to at all lol
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:37 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

If you buy your tuner from Bama or Steeda, you'll get tunes for life. No more paying extra for tunes that you'll need later on when you add on mods.
2014 Ruby Red V6 Premium, Pony Package, Magnaflow Street Axle-backs, MMD Hood Struts, SCT X4 with Steeda lifetime tunes, Boss 302 Strut tower brace, JLT Oil Separator, OEM extended range remote start, Raxiom Navigation.
dj2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:56 PM   #15
Kevin.Cook

Yea cuz chances are (if you arent insanely rich and get all your mods in 1 month), it is gonna take you months to complete your car. Which is why I like free tunes for life. But everyone has their preferences.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-09-2015, 07:10 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
I have all my stuff for a gear swap but to be honest I'm a little nervous about doing it. I've heard of people having whine even after a proper install, anyone have this issue?

Also I didn't get a tuner because I don't want to mess with my warranty so I got a good deal on a Hypertech speedo calibrator.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:29 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Well it seems everyone goes on and on about the mpt tunes....but I didn't realize if I change gears without a tune my shift points will be off????

Old 03-09-2015, 08:10 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
I have all my stuff for a gear swap but to be honest I'm a little nervous about doing it. I've heard of people having whine even after a proper install, anyone have this issue?

Also I didn't get a tuner because I don't want to mess with my warranty so I got a good deal on a Hypertech speedo calibrator.
I went with Ford Racing 3.73s, gear and pinion only, no whine or noise of any kind and Its been one year since the install. My car only had 12k on her when gears were done, couldn't be happier! IMO if you have any whine or noise after install it wasn't a proper install no matter how reputable the shop. Attention to detail on a gear install is EVERYTHING! I went to a place that only does mustangs called Mustang Direct up here in Montreal, I would find a similar shop if possible that only does mustangs in your area, even if you have to road trip it. I couldn't imagine having a whine after an install, it would drive me crazy! Good luck and don't fear the gear.

2013 Candy Apple Red 3.7, Roush Axel Backs, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers,Barton shifter bracket, Bama tuned, SR lowering Springs, J&M adjustable pan hard bar, 3.73 Ford Racing gears, GT 500 spoiler, Upper and lower modern billit grill, 2010 GT Premium 19" wheels, GT 500 stripes, Painted mirror covers, MMD Billitt fuel door. 2014 Premium cluster, Chrome mustang shifter knob,
Old 03-09-2015, 08:28 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
I went with Ford Racing 3.73s, gear and pinion only, no whine or noise of any kind and Its been one year since the install. My car only had 12k on her when gears were done, couldn't be happier! IMO if you have any whine or noise after install it wasn't a proper install no matter how reputable the shop. Attention to detail on a gear install is EVERYTHING! I went to a place that only does mustangs called Mustang Direct up here in Montreal, I would find a similar shop if possible that only does mustangs in your area, even if you have to road trip it. I couldn't imagine having a whine after an install, it would drive me crazy! Good luck and don't fear the gear.

Cool thanks. I found a reputable place for sure. The owner gave me a tour and it was the cleanest shop I'd ever been in. They have been in business for I think he said 20 years. I live where off-road is very popular and they do a lot of high end trucks. They do cars as well but I think they do more trucks. I feel confident with them.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:38 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Cool thanks. I found a reputable place for sure. The owner gave me a tour and it was the cleanest shop I'd ever been in. They have been in business for I think he said 20 years. I live where off-road is very popular and they do a lot of high end trucks. They do cars as well but I think they do more trucks. I feel confident with them.
Thumbs! Your going to love them! I was nervously excited when I dropped my car off for the install, its a normal feeling. I remember thinking I hope everything goes well and problem free. It was really assuring when the shop told me don't worry about and that they did gears on a regular basis, and the fact that the shop was just full of mustangs being worked on.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:48 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Guys ....is it a fact you need a tuner for the gears???

Old 03-09-2015, 08:53 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Guys ....is it a fact you need a tuner for the gears???

If auto, I say yes because of your transmission. If manual I say.............yes lol, unless your OK with your speedo being off and putting "fake" milage on your car.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:55 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
If auto, I say yes because of your transmission. If manual I say.............yes lol, unless your OK with your speedo being off and putting "fake" milage on your car.
I don't believe it will put 'fake' mileage on your car. Most of the research I've tried doing on that subject states that the speedometer is not what is used by the car's computer to compute your mileage.

I've read that it calculates your tire rotations to compute mileage. But, I don't really know.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:57 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I have a automatic....my concern is someone said without a tuner my shift points will be off.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:06 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have a automatic....my concern is someone said without a tuner my shift points will be off.

This is correct, that's why I say tune it if you can before your gear install.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:10 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't believe it will put 'fake' mileage on your car. Most of the research I've tried doing on that subject states that the speedometer is not what is used by the car's computer to compute your mileage.

I've read that it calculates your tire rotations to compute mileage. But, I don't really know.
You could very well be correct sir. If that's the case then it isn't all that bad on the manual, just the speedo would be off.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:14 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
How about the Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator?
It apparently allows you to re-program for correct speedometer and odometer readings, as well as correct part-throttle shifting.
I have no experience with it only reading their ads.
It cost around $200.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:40 PM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
How about the Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator?
It apparently allows you to re-program for correct speedometer and odometer readings, as well as correct part-throttle shifting.
I have no experience with it only reading their ads.
It cost around $200.
This is what I'm doing. I got it from auto anything for around 160.00.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:55 AM   #29
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
After much debate....I ordered my gears first, before I get the tuner. This mod scares me a little. It's expensive to reverse it. But, it only makes sense to do the gears first then the tune. So, anxiously waiting for shipment from AM. After the tune I am definitely done for the year! I have already added Air Raid CAI, SR. lowering Springs, MBRP axle back mufflers, 2013 GT 19" Wheels and Pirelli Tires. Gonna get me some hole shot next with the Gears!!
Hey Sticks - Thanks so much for your support and loyalty we really appreciate it! You're going to love them! They definitely wake the car the hell up and I swear once you get her back you're going to think it's a completely different car. Your speedo will be off slightly but this can be corrected with a Bama X4 Tuner along with putting a lot of extra pep in her step! Like many other Bama offers Free Tunes For Life once you're enrolled and I can't say nice enough comments about their work, tech support, and service.

Not to mention if you're looking to embarrass some older GT owners like myself it's the best way to go! Bama's completely overhauled their tunes over the past 9 months and they're working on their V2 Tunes for the 3.7L as we speak but if you look around here you'll see many customers loving their most up to date tunes!

Here's a couple reviews below as well but let me know if you're to have any questions and I'm here to help any way I can!

Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:34 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Gears will be delivered Thursday...some have claimed it won't shift properly without a tune. So I guess I order the tuner today before I get my gears installed. Was going to go with mpt...but tunes for life free is pretty attractive. Bama it is!

Old 03-13-2015, 04:05 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Gears are on the work bench. Ordered my tuner today.....pretty excited.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:06 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Sent them the info on my tune and included the info of having .373 gears....Monday I make the appointment to have the gears installed! By the end of next week 2 big upgrades should be in place! Gears AND tune!! Can't wait!!

Old 03-14-2015, 08:42 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
...practice driving the beast it is at the moment...& have fun/be safe.
[we have similar mods...only thing I will do in the future is 3.73's.....]
2014 V6, Oxford White, Auto, 3.31, AirRaid CAI, MBRP axleback, 18" Motegi Black MR118, Cooper RS3-S's, MPT 93/Perf/Race[Ghost Cam], Steeda Ultra springs, B&R Panhard Bar, Ford Racing strut brace, BMR LCAs, JLT Oil Separator, Kicker 12'' Sealed Sub/300wt. amp, Formula1 70% tint[+windshield]
blowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:32 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

This whole tune thing is taking to long!! Ship it already!!

Old 03-16-2015, 01:09 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
This whole tune thing is taking to long!! Ship it already!!

It's been 3 days.....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang