Yet another tune review - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-15-2015, 07:13 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Pinging is not a near catastrophic failure, hell a bad tank of gas can cause pinging or detonation. My old ford taurus pinged/detonation from new for 9 years with numerous trips to the dealer to try and solve it and kept on going strong. Yes it sucks to have had as many problems with mpt like you have had, id be upset also, but I'm sure your engine is just fine. That's why bama/mpt/steeda ect have data logging, to solve problems like this. I really like bama and have zero issues to date, but a few have had terrible experiences with them, sometimes thats just how the cookie crumbles. These are email tunes and will sometimes require some data logging to get it right.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Never had any issues with Bama tunes either.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2015, 08:12 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I've got over 100 MPT data logs on my car and I'm a happy camper. Bama was only willing to give me 1, and that was still a half second slower in the 1/4 on back to back to back to back passes (Bama, MPT, Bama, MPT).

You have to realize they are pretty much playing whack-a-mole trying to fix an issue while only seeing a window into how the car behaves. That said, I've never seen the issues that you have experienced with pinging and loud noises. I had an AFR issue for months that turned out to be a vacuum leak under the intake manifold. Are they commanding an AFR at WOT that is too lean for your liking or is the car not getting as much fuel as it is asking for?
Old 04-15-2015, 09:10 PM   #38
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
What parameters are they having you log?
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2015, 10:10 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Ghost tunes are the root of all evil.

Why fake the funk.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:58 PM   #40
rob.james.arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famine View Post
What parameters are they having you log?
measured afr bank 1
measured afr bank 2
ect deg F
lambse b1
lambse b2
lt fuel trim b1
lt fuel trim b2
maf frequency
rpm
load
st fuel trim b1
st fuel trim b2
spark advance
knock
Variable cam timing exhaust bank 1
Variable cam timing intake bank 1
commanded gear (auto trans only)
torque converter desired slip (auto trans only)
throttle angle actual
throttle angle desired
pedal position
Old 04-16-2015, 12:47 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
what's your AFR at WOT? just curious

2011 Mustang V6 auto/procharger p1sc kit with 3.70 pulley/circle d 3200 stall/4:10 gears/dss aluminum driveshaft/tial q bov/bbk long tubes with catted x pipe/dynomax ultra flo catback/bbk throttle body/accel super coils/cyclone ported upper and lower intake manifolds/brembo front brake kit
INSTAGRAM @2011fastford505
2011fastford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:49 AM   #42
rob.james.arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011fastford View Post
what's your AFR at WOT? just curious
I will post some data logs tomorrow when I get up. Snoozing now...
Old 04-16-2015, 09:25 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Get a real tune not a ghost cam tune.
You run ghost cam you're asking for it not to be perfect. It's just dumping fuel.....
I wouldn't bash all MPT tunes like you are because you had an experience with your ghost cam. Nothings wrong with your car, no damage, it just seems like you expected too much from a ghost cam email tune.

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 04-16-2015, 10:23 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
You run ghost cam you're asking for it not to be perfect. It's just dumping fuel.....
I wouldn't bash all MPT tunes like you are because you had an experience with your ghost cam. Nothings wrong with your car, no damage, it just seems like you expected too much from a ghost cam email tune.

Ghost cam tunes are silly. Waste of money in my opinion. You can't fake the funk. Ever drink Bailey's from shoe. Ha ha ha

Old 04-16-2015, 10:32 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Ghost cam tunes are silly. Waste of money in my opinion. You can't fake the funk. Ever drink Bailey's from shoe. Ha ha ha

Exactly. Ghost cam is something you put on for one day a month for a car show or something. Not what you DD with. it's silly

Old 04-16-2015, 10:55 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Exactly. Ghost cam is something you put on for one day a month for a car show or something. Not what you DD with. it's silly

Exactly sir, not a DD tune. Its a gimic used for a car show or cars and coffee meet at most. Personally, I think there silly even for that but certainly not a daily driver tune.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:03 AM   #47
rob.james.arias

Quote:

Where did I ask for it to be perfect? Where in any post did I bash all MPT tunes? Nothing's wrong with my car because I stopped running the crap tune. Had I kept running some of the revisions who knows what would have happened. That's not the point here. The point is I purchased a tune that never did what it was advertised to do. I asked for a refund and was refused. Despite their Facebook page that says if your not 100% satisfied let us know, we will do whatever it takes blah blah blah.

Do you work for MPT? Seems like...
Old 04-16-2015, 11:13 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.james.arias View Post
Where did I ask for it to be perfect? Where in any post did I bash all MPT tunes? Nothing's wrong with my car because I stopped running the crap tune. Had I kept running some of the revisions who knows what would have happened. That's not the point here. The point is I purchased a tune that never did what it was advertised to do. I asked for a refund and was refused. Despite their Facebook page that says if your not 100% satisfied let us know, we will do whatever it takes blah blah blah.

Do you work for MPT? Seems like...
Well considering Grabber lives up north and MPT is down south Florida I believe, no he does not work for MPT. :what:

Trying to fake the funk makes you a punk!
Old 04-16-2015, 11:32 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I'm happy with my MPT 87 & 93 street tunes but I have given up on my ghost cam tune as well. None of the 3 versions I received are right & all 3 of them have issues settling and staying in the simulated lope. I guess 2 out of 3 ain't all bad but definitely wish I had gotten something different & saved the extra money

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
cwillisfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:50 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

It's a ghost cam tune. It dumps fuel. You're not gonna get perfect idling or driveability with it. It's meant to be run without cats, so I hope you don't have cats or your complaints are kinda moot. The worst it could do is mess up your cats. Seems like you didn't do enough research into exactly what a ghost cam tune is and what it entails before buying it. Nothing bad was gonna happen to your car lol. Calling a tune "crap" is bashing. Truth is, nothing is probably wrong with your tune at all. You just have an unrealistic expectation of what it was gonna be. Do I work for MPT? Lol. Maybe if you read my tuner review thread you would understand how ridiculous that claim is.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:52 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

There's a reason I don't run the ghost cam tune and its because it's for ricer teenagers and people who put it on for a show day. It's NOT A DD TUNE. It is basically impossible to get it perfect through an email tune and a few data logs.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:25 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's a ghost cam tune. It dumps fuel. You're not gonna get perfect idling or driveability with it. It's meant to be run without cats, so I hope you don't have cats or your complaints are kinda moot. The worst it could do is mess up your cats. Seems like you didn't do enough research into exactly what a ghost cam tune is and what it entails before buying it. Nothing bad was gonna happen to your car lol. Calling a tune "crap" is bashing. Truth is, nothing is probably wrong with your tune at all. You just have an unrealistic expectation of what it was gonna be. Do I work for MPT? Lol. Maybe if you read my tuner review thread you would understand how ridiculous that claim is.

Wait, that dude wasn't running the ghost cam tune with his cats on??????? Everyone knows you need the cats to be gone for that silly tune. I mean everyone that has looked into getting the ghost cam tune that is, knows the cats MUST be removed. I'm sure that dude , removed the cats for the ghost cam tune.

Trying to fake the funk makes you a punk!
Old 04-19-2015, 12:42 AM   #53
rob.james.arias

Quote:

A tune that causes your car to knock and ping with a messed up AFR is not crap? I'm sorry why don't you run those "not crap" tunes on your car for a while... "Nothing bad was going to happen to your car". Really? How did you come to that conclusion? Using the same logic as above? LOL

Calling a tune crap, that is actually crap is called truth telling not name calling. If the shoe fits wear it. Its not bashing if its the truth.

Never said I wanted perfect idle any where. Where did you get that? I purchased a tune specifically to have a NOT perfect idle.

Unrealistic expectation? I researched quite a bit and have seen the tune in person on other 3.7 mustangs. I spent almost two hours driving another friends 3.7 with the same tune before making the purchase and after making several calls to MPT. I believe I had a very realistic expectation. Your assumptions are equally ridiculous.

When I received the first tune it was nothing like what I had experienced in person. When I called I was given the reason that their server had crashed and they sent me and old version which looked weird upon review. Then later after other revisions I was told I was probably using a winter blend of gas and that was the culprit. I live in FLORIDA and use top tier gas. They made excuses, they made revisions, they made some progress, they made me not want to do business with them in the end.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:06 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Do you have cats lol

Old 05-10-2015, 11:45 AM   #55
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
Thanks for the post Rob. This kind of stuff makes my tuner decision easier.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 04:52 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Idk why people keep buying these pre made tunes and expect them to be awesome? Its like buying a cookie cutter piece its not gonna work the exact same for everyone, honestly id say just find a good tuner and have your car dyno tuned that way its your cars individual best tune not some tune a guy made on a computer plugging in the parts you have on your car but real runs with atmospheric temps actually tuning your car just my .02

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
swhitfield2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 05:06 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by swhitfield2013 View Post
Idk why people keep buying these pre made tunes and expect them to be awesome? Its like buying a cookie cutter piece its not gonna work the exact same for everyone, honestly id say just find a good tuner and have your car dyno tuned that way its your cars individual best tune not some tune a guy made on a computer plugging in the parts you have on your car but real runs with atmospheric temps actually tuning your car just my .02

It might be that because to date, there is zero evidence to say anyone's dyno tune is better. All the fastest NA cyclones are tuned by MPT. But you are right that the car should be retuned for real conditions and that is what datalogs are for.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:19 PM   #58
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by swhitfield2013 View Post

Because in the real world you drive in a garage with the hood open and a big *** fan blowing.
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:42 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

In the real world you drive with wind in atmospheric conditions not something some guy coded himself from states away, that is why a custom tune will be better, its tailored to your car its smoother not nearly as many issues as well as doesnt take you guessing with a map some dude jotted up damage your engine while you run it ie the piston slapping and wait for him to tweek it using data logs and guestimation, so yes its more real world you are in your local area actually using the car and adjusting real time, and at least the shop i go to cost as much as one of the mpt tunes if not less 265 an hour to be approximate

Old 05-10-2015, 06:47 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Not saying they wont get you started in the right general area but you cant expect some guy hundreds of miles away to be able to give you a perfect solid tune within about 3 adjustments and those 3 adjustments could seriously damage your engine, now if you put mods on your car get the tunes and use them to drive to a dyno i understand but wot on an tune like that is asking to damage your engine, your better off going to a dyno and getting it dialed in for your car and area rather than blowing your engine, theres a reason they dont offer a warranty for their tunes on your engine the shop i go to garuntees you wont have issues with the engine nor a blown engine for a year no matter how drastic the tune, just saying you cant really bash a tuner who is writing your tunes so far away with no dyno just maps not fair to expect so much from them, and i believe the fastest mpt cars were dynoed and tuned by mpt just saying

Old 05-10-2015, 06:51 PM   #61
Registered Member

Regular

Dyno tunes are not always safe. Just ask Arefire. I really don't understand the draw to dyno tune basic bolt on cars
Old 05-10-2015, 06:52 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

So don't get a remote tune and stop *****ing and trying to convince all of us with great remote tunes that our tunes suck

Old 05-10-2015, 06:53 PM   #63
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
So don't get a remote tune and stop *****ing and trying to convince all of us with great remote tunes that our tunes suck

Lol tell us how you really feel buddy! Hope to see some more of your build soon
Old 05-10-2015, 06:56 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Haha sounds like someone is touchy haha i was trying to say you cant expect so much out of those guys given what they have to tune your car, seems like the remote tuner crowd is 'sensitive' on the subject hahah

Old 05-10-2015, 06:58 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Lol tell us how you really feel buddy! Hope to see some more of your build soon
Haha I just can't take ppl trying to shove their wrong opinions down other people's throats as fact. If you don't like something, fine don't do it. Leave the rest of us alone.
Build is almost done!!!! Hopefully this week . It's been finals so I haven't had much play time. I was making about 525-550 rwhp which was way too much so I had to switch to a much bigger pulley to be safe... We will see where she's at this week!!!

Old 05-10-2015, 07:03 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Idk how an opinion can be wrong thats contradictory? But when they write multiple threads about how it takes so long to get it write it seems like someone isnt getting it. If all everyone did on a thread is give eachother handjobs and high fives thered be no point in posting the thread at all different opinions progess eachother, so instead of mocking how a dyno tune is done or getting so sensitive just state how a remote tune has its advantages (not intending to sound like a prick but i reread it an it may come off bad to some)

Old 05-10-2015, 07:13 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Dyno tunes are not always safe. Just ask Arefire. I really don't understand the draw to dyno tune basic bolt on cars
This.

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:16 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Honestly i got mine because when i installed the cai and tb my car idled very high the rpms wouldnt return to normal as regular speeds(it took about 5 min to go from 3k to 1k in nuetral and if i dropped my clutch in second from a stop my car would pull itself all the way up to 30mph which its right hah so i didnt have time to get a handheld i took it to a tuner watched him tune it and we talked the whole time about handheld vs dyno and the benefits and disadvantages considering he uses handhelds to data log for the dyno as the best possible scenario

Old 05-11-2015, 10:01 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Except if you do a couple of datalogs for whatever tuning company you're working with, suddenly you have a tune that is just as good as going to local joe blow and running it on their dyno.

A lot of the tuners around here start at $500-550 for a custom NA dyno tune. For a mild bolt on car, you can't tell me that after a couple of datalogs & revisions from a company like Steeda or MPT that the custom tune will be worth the extra $400+. The tune will be dialed in for your fuel, your conditions, your exact car. This isn't the stone age anymore.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:21 AM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
For most customers ... the mail order tune is perfect for their wants & needs ... and ... for other customers, they may want something more custom.

To Mariusvt's point, for $99.00 for a single tune & $150 for tunes for life it is a small investment for more power, drivability, etc.

It is all in the preference of the customer & the amount they want to invest.

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang