Yet another tune review - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-09-2015, 08:53 PM   #1
rob.james.arias

Yet another tune review

Well I recently purchased the MPT 93 performance tune with ghost cam. Impressions are hard to make at this point as I am on my 3rd revision waiting on a possible 4th as they review the data logs.

The first and second versions had surging issues wherein the motor would rev up and back down 3,4,5-infinate times when going into neutral. Not a lope surge but like the gas was being pressed up to 1100 rpm and then back down to 500 rpm (though the pedal was never touched). The third revision has almost no surging however is missing the "lope" for the most part (does lope sometimes) and sounds more like a sputter at idle.

The car pulls hard however I can't really quantify if it is factually more or less than the 91 race tune I was running from redliners tuning. It feels like more torque down low and less power on top compared to the race tune I had previously.

The gas milage on the highway seems noticeably better than my race tune though. The customer support at MPT has been awesome so far and I will continue to work with them until necessary. Just thinking I might have been better off trying a different tune from them or a different company.

On the plus side my wife hates the tune so that must mean something about it is right. When the car lopes she complains that it makes her "bosom" shake. Never a bad thing if you ask me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2015, 08:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.james.arias View Post
Well I recently purchased the MPT 93 performance tune with ghost cam. Impressions are hard to make at this point as I am on my 3rd revision waiting on a possible 4th as they review the data logs.

The first and second versions had surging issues wherein the motor would rev up and back down 3,4,5-infinate times when going into neutral. Not a lope surge but like the gas was being pressed up to 1100 rpm and then back down to 500 rpm (though the pedal was never touched). The third revision has almost no surging however is missing the "lope" for the most part (does lope sometimes) and sounds more like a sputter at idle.

The car pulls hard however I can't really quantify if it is factually more or less than the 91 race tune I was running from redliners tuning. It feels like more torque down low and less power on top compared to the race tune I had previously.

The gas milage on the highway seems noticeably better than my race tune though. The customer support at MPT has been awesome so far and I will continue to work with them until necessary. Just thinking I might have been better off trying a different tune from them or a different company.

On the plus side my wife hates the tune so that must mean something about it is right. When the car lopes she complains that it makes her "bosom" shake. Never a bad thing if you ask me.
Lol, bosom shake is an added bonus lol. From what I read from people that run both mpt and bama is that the mpt will pull a little harder. But I have read quite a few tweaking problems with mpt that required multiple data logs and tune updates to get it right.
Maybe my Bama tune doesn't pull quite as hard as the mpt but they have always run great right out of the box. I plan on trying mpt and or steeda this summer to get a taste of something new but I'm very happy with my Bama tunes.

2013 Candy Apple Red 3.7, Roush Axel Backs, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers,Barton shifter bracket, Bama tuned, SR lowering Springs, J&M adjustable pan hard bar, 3.73 Ford Racing gears, GT 500 spoiler, Upper and lower modern billit grill, 2010 GT Premium 19" wheels, GT 500 stripes, Painted mirror covers, MMD Billitt fuel door. 2014 Premium cluster, Chrome mustang shifter knob,
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:01 PM   #3
rob.james.arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Lol, bosom shake is an added bonus lol. From what I read from people that run both mpt and bama is that the mpt will pull a little harder. But I have read quite a tweaking problems with mpt.
My new Facebook status "Lol, bosom shake is an added bonus". Made my day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2015, 08:53 PM   #4
rob.james.arias

Update: Received the 4th revision today. Had pinging at WOT, a piston slap like noise on the top and lower end knock with the last version.

The newest revision pulls harder than any tune I have had to date. Very happy with that. However I have almost ZERO lope now and still the piston slap like noise present. Fingers crossed they can get it worked out.

So far they have been amazing with communication and professionalism just thinking this 3.7 may be the one that gives them a run for their money...
Old 03-10-2015, 09:12 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Idk, but if it were me I'd call it a day and go elsewhere. Sorry to hear your having so much trouble, I hope they get you fixed up.

2013 Candy Apple Red 3.7, Roush Axel Backs, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers,Barton shifter bracket, Bama tuned, SR lowering Springs, J&M adjustable pan hard bar, 3.73 Ford Racing gears, GT 500 spoiler, Upper and lower modern billit grill, 2010 GT Premium 19" wheels, GT 500 stripes, Painted mirror covers, MMD Billitt fuel door. 2014 Premium cluster, Chrome mustang shifter knob,
Old 03-11-2015, 09:57 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I wish MPT would do away with the ghost cam tune, almost every post I've ever seen about mpt not working right when someon first buys it is because of ghost cam. Glad I went with the regular 93 race tune. I've had it two years, full bolt ons, gears.
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Rob, I've had mine for some time with the street tune, never had an issue. I know you looked at my vid but the only issue I have ever been concerned about was the cats blowing. Hope you get it resolved, it's a great tune to have!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
bbowman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:14 PM   #8
rob.james.arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbowman88 View Post
Rob, I've had mine for some time with the street tune, never had an issue. I know you looked at my vid but the only issue I have ever been concerned about was the cats blowing. Hope you get it resolved, it's a great tune to have!

I'm confident they can get it right. I researched quite a bit before deciding this was the move for me. After that I called several times and spoke with the lead calibrator from MPT.

Just hoping this next revision is the last revision. The first surged, the second sputterd rather than loped, the third had pinging at WOT and a knock the last revision had almost no lope but ran strong as heck.

Once they get it dialed in it will probably be my DD since so much data logging has gone into it. The guys over there are great. If all else fails in a few more revisions I will go back to my problem free race tune I had before (from redliners) and just ask kindly for a refund.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I'm thinking of keeping mine a dd, but the mpgs.... kinda suck at a stop. I prefer my race tune without it when cruising, just because off throttle response. I'll be testing it out tonight at a car meet so I'll go from there. Goodluck though!

bbowman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
dance:I have had the strongest, most raucous pulling tunes with MPT--right out of the Box. Could never get tunes right with the another company. I was impressed right away and in love. Ordered the Ghost Cam Tune yesterday with a 93/Perf/Race Tune.
[only hiccup is had to data log Monday for only one tune for a slight pinging at accelerator tip-in under low load- gone after depressing pedal more than 3/4"---but I want gone completely]. C.S. is spectacular. Can't wait for fix & Ghost!!!
2014 V6, Oxford White, Auto, 3.31, AirRaid CAI, MBRP axleback, 18" Motegi Black MR118, Cooper RS3-S's, MPT 93/Perf/Race[Ghost Cam], Steeda Ultra springs, B&R Panhard Bar, Ford Racing strut brace, BMR LCAs, JLT Oil Separator, Kicker 12'' Sealed Sub/300wt. amp, Formula1 70% tint[+windshield]
blowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:18 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowa View Post
dance:I have had the strongest, most raucous pulling tunes with MPT--right out of the Box. Could never get tunes right with the another company. I was impressed right away and in love. Ordered the Ghost Cam Tune yesterday with a 93/Perf/Race Tune.
[only hiccup is had to data log Monday for only one tune for a slight pinging at accelerator tip-in under low load- gone after depressing pedal more than 3/4"---but I want gone completely]. C.S. is spectacular. Can't wait for fix & Ghost!!!
Sorry for the super noob question, but what is pinging?
Old 04-14-2015, 05:23 PM   #12
rob.james.arias

A very non technical definition of pinging is the timing is too advanced and the car makes a "pinging" noise due to premature detonation.

On a side note MPT was never able to get my tune right. Just gave up on them all together... Would recommend them for any tune but the ghost cam. Think I'm the reason they don't offer different stages now. Yikes.

No offer for a refund just wanted me to pull data logs but after 8 revisions I was over it.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:38 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Did you have any issues with any of the other tunes they sent you?
Old 04-14-2015, 05:41 PM   #14
rob.james.arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight92 View Post
Did you have any issues with any of the other tunes they sent you?
Every tune I got was whack. They sent me a performance tune to use "in the meantime" which worked really well. I stopped running it though as it did not run as smooth as my tune from the other guys.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:54 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

By the "other guys" do you mean Bama? Ive been trying to decide between MPT and Bama.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:04 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Quote:
Lol, bosom shake is an added bonus lol. From what I read from people that run both mpt and bama is that the mpt will pull a little harder. But I have read quite a few tweaking problems with mpt that required multiple data logs and tune updates to get it right.
Maybe my Bama tune doesn't pull quite as hard as the mpt but they have always run great right out of the box. I plan on trying mpt and or steeda this summer to get a taste of something new but I'm very happy with my Bama tunes.

Have you ever logged your tune to verify how great it actually is?
Same to the op when he gets his final revision.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:20 PM   #17
rob.james.arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famine View Post
I have not dynod the tunes if that is what your asking. I have data logged all tunes I've run on my car. The MPT tunes have pinged, knocked, surged, stalled and run rough. I don't think a dyno is needed to know that it's not running as well as my other tunes. I have Bama tunes and redliners tunes.

In comparison neither of them have had any of the above mentioned issues. I know for a fact that one or two of the revisions from MPT posed the risk potentially of detrimental long or short term use to the motor.

I also know they read the forums here and as a result and in all fairness probably should do a full write up with some of the correspondence. Bottom line is if I data log as many times as I did at some point I should almost be getting compensated for R&D... Lol.

I have asked for a refund more than once and the response from Mat was a flat out no and what was best for me was to keep data logging. Then a few data logs later he let me know that I was using the wrong PIDs. WHAT???? Then how was he making revisions? Then a few weeks later I get an email asking me to share my feedback with guests on their website so no I'm guessing it's fair game.

I purchased a stage 3 lope. In the end the last version they sent (revision 7 or 8) was a "hybrid" as they no longer offered staged lopes. If they don't offer what I purchased it would stand to reason at that alone I should have gotten a refund never mind the fact that I never got a working ghost cam tune. The last revision I got hunted at idle from 800-1100 never, NEVER settling in.

They did testing on a local car to try and dial in the tune. The car they used was night and day different from my set up. He had a full exhaust, port and polished intake, bbk throttle body and full exhaust. It's no wonder my car ran like poop in the revision they sent after that.

Gloves are off. I'm actually getting more and more upset the more I think about it. Mike one of the MPT guys tried to call me out on something I posted in the forums saying I gave them an ultimatum. When in actuity I said I would work with them as long as necessary I was just getting frustrated.

Now, I'll be loud and clear. Mike if your reading this I want that refund I asked for. Otherwise I will leave a full review on all of the forums and your Facebook page. There it's off my chest.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:57 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I wish they would just stop offering the ghost cam tunes, they sound like **** and result in posts like this.

Just get their regular 93 race tune and be done with it.

3rd revision on mine is perfectly dialed in.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:06 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I have not dynod the tunes if that is what your asking. I have data logged all tunes I've run on my car. The MPT tunes have pinged, knocked, surged, stalled and run rough. I don't think a dyno is needed to know that it's not running as well as my other tunes. I have Bama tunes and redliners tunes.

In comparison neither of them have had any of the above mentioned issues. I know for a fact that one or two of the revisions from MPT posed the risk potentially of detrimental long or short term use to the motor.

I also know they read the forums here and as a result and in all fairness probably should do a full write up with some of the correspondence. Bottom line is if I data log as many times as I did at some point I should almost be getting compensated for R&D... Lol.

I have asked for a refund more than once and the response from Mat was a flat out no and what was best for me was to keep data logging. Then a few data logs later he let me know that I was using the wrong PIDs. WHAT???? Then how was he making revisions? Then a few weeks later I get an email asking me to share my feedback with guests on their website so no I'm guessing it's fair game.

I purchased a stage 3 lope. In the end the last version they sent (revision 7 or 8) was a "hybrid" as they no longer offered staged lopes. If they don't offer what I purchased it would stand to reason at that alone I should have gotten a refund never mind the fact that I never got a working ghost cam tune. The last revision I got hunted at idle from 800-1100 never, NEVER settling in.

They did testing on a local car to try and dial in the tune. The car they used was night and day different from my set up. He had a full exhaust, port and polished intake, bbk throttle body and full exhaust. It's no wonder my car ran like poop in the revision they sent after that.

Gloves are off. I'm actually getting more and more upset the more I think about it. Mike one of the MPT guys tried to call me out on something I posted in the forums saying I gave them an ultimatum. When in actuity I said I would work with them as long as necessary I was just getting frustrated.

Now, I'll be loud and clear. Mike if your reading this I want that refund I asked for. Otherwise I will leave a full review on all of the forums and your Facebook page. There it's off my chest.
I never said dyno. I was just referring to the logs, which you just stated you did. It's always a good idea to make sure you're safe. Most people fail to do so or do not know what they're looking for.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:40 PM   #20
rob.james.arias

Quote:
I never said dyno. I was just referring to the logs, which you just stated you did. It's always a good idea to make sure you're safe. Most people fail to do so or do not know what they're looking for.
No worries, Im just revved up and have been stewing on this for a few weeks. Im guessing from looking around Im one of the very few people who have had this experience with them though.

That said not many people are as "in tune" with their vehicle as guys like me and I'm guessing you are. I didn't mean to come off like I was venting at you specifically.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:36 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Tbh I never felt i had to. The car has run great for over two years with no codes. I'm quite happy with how my car pulls with bama and have had zero codes to date. My car is a dd and not a track car so my 91 race that I've been running for a long long time just feels great for me. I still might try mpt/steeda down the line but for now i really couldn't be happier with bama. Idk call me crazy lol.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 04-14-2015, 10:40 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Tbh I never felt i had to. The car has run great for over two years with no codes. I'm quite happy with how my car pulls with bama and have had zero codes to date. My car is a dd and not a track car so my 91 race that I've been running for a long long time just feels great for me. I still might try mpt/steeda down the line but for now i really couldn't be happier with bama. Idk call me crazy lol.

I had a bama tune that knocked (off the shelf) and the base aed one did prior to the first revision (and that one still felt good to me coming from the bama tune). You're probably fine.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:24 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Thanks for sharing your experience. Will giving my business to Bama now if that's any consolation.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Dhawk1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:36 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Bama for me as well 👍 they should have issued you a refund. They should have paid you for doing that many data logs lol

2013 Premium Performance White

GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted white quarter windows

Last Mod: CDC Performance Grille

Next mod: Bama Race Tune!

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Chaz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:58 AM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz12 View Post
Bama for me as well 👍 they should have issued you a refund. They should have paid you for doing that many data logs lol

2013 Premium Performance White

GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted white quarter windows

Last Mod: CDC Performance Grille

Really? I consider it a blessing to have etuning. I've had places that really want to get things dialed in before. There is a ton of stuff that could still be done if tuners wanted to spend their time doing so, but it's not financially beneficial for them. It's better for them to do the minimum.
Can you imagine having to travel more than 6 hours to another state every time you want to do some tuning? That's rough.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:39 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I used MPT for my 07 GT and gave up on them also. It just never felt right, and after three or four revisions I was done. Wasn't even a ghost cam tune either. When it comes time to tune my 5.0, I'll be going with Bama.
sid719e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:40 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
havent really heard of any one having problems with mpt, although i'm not a fan of the gost cam tune as i feel its kinda ricey (no offence to anyone with it, just my opinion) I have run 3 mpt tunes a performance a street and a nitrous tune, and never had any issues... everything was spot on AFR's looked great had 0 knock car ran flawlessly.. The majority of 3.7 owners i know through the different forums all run MPT tunes and love them.. i dont really think there is a comparisson between mpt and bama, the difference is night and day.

2011 Mustang V6 auto/procharger p1sc kit with 3.70 pulley/circle d 3200 stall/4:10 gears/dss aluminum driveshaft/tial q bov/bbk long tubes with catted x pipe/dynomax ultra flo catback/bbk throttle body/accel super coils/cyclone ported upper and lower intake manifolds/brembo front brake kit
INSTAGRAM @2011fastford505
2011fastford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:05 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
The ghost cam tune is very ricey and silly. Sounds like a$$ too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:04 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011fastford View Post
havent really heard of any one having problems with mpt, although i'm not a fan of the gost cam tune as i feel its kinda ricey (no offence to anyone with it, just my opinion) I have run 3 mpt tunes a performance a street and a nitrous tune, and never had any issues... everything was spot on AFR's looked great had 0 knock car ran flawlessly.. The majority of 3.7 owners i know through the different forums all run MPT tunes and love them.. i dont really think there is a comparisson between mpt and bama, the difference is night and day.
I've read quite a few problems with mpt requiring data logging and revisions to correct the tune. Nothing serious to date though.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:38 PM   #30
rob.james.arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhawk1313 View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. Will giving my business to Bama now if that's any consolation.
Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
The purpose of my post isn't to hurt their business. That said if it saves you the hassle I dealt with than good for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz12 View Post
Bama for me as well they should have issued you a refund. They should have paid you for doing that many data logs lol
I agree. They should have given me a refund. This post would have not existed in its current form and by my tally its cost them a couple hundred $$$

Quote:
I've read quite a few problems with mpt requiring data logging and revisions to correct the tune. Nothing serious to date though.

What's the definition of serious? I ask not sarcastically but because I have data logs I may gladly post. My definition of serious is motor knocking at idle and piston slap like noises, pinging under mild load and lean AFR at WOT. These are not first revisions but their third or fourth revisions that were having these issues.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:43 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The purpose of my post isn't to hurt their business. That said if it saves you the hassle I dealt with than good for you.

I agree. They should have given me a refund. This post would have not existed in its current form and by my tally its cost them a couple hundred $$$

What's the definition of serious? I ask not sarcastically but because I have data logs I may gladly post. My definition of serious is motor knocking at idle and piston slap like noises, pinging under mild load and lean AFR at WOT. These are not first revisions but their third or fourth revisions that were having these issues.
By serious i mean catastrophic.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:54 PM   #32
rob.james.arias

Quote:
By serious i mean catastrophic.

For me serious is a precursor to catastrophic. Knock and ping or "abnormal detonation" are near catastrophic in my opinion.

Other than running an engine without oil, there is probably nothing that you can do that is more detrimental to an engine than detonating it. In an ideal combustion cycle there is a controlled burning of the compressed fuel and air, but during detonation there is an exploding of the mixture with a instantaneous release of all its energy, regardless of where the piston is in its stroke. The timing of the auto-ignition will have a direct effect on where the damage takes place. When this is altered and in effect over adjusted by a tune the result long or short term can be horrible.

Detonation very early in the compression stroke is usually the silent killer that goes unheard by the driver. This form of combustion usually results in rotating assembly failure by attacking the connecting rods and bearings. Detonation that comes nearer to TDC or slightly after is usually heard as pinging and will likely result in the burning of the piston or the lifting of the ring land from the piston

That to me is serious.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:03 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
For me serious is a precursor to catastrophic. Knock and ping or "abnormal detonation" are near catastrophic in my opinion.

Other than running an engine without oil, there is probably nothing that you can do that is more detrimental to an engine than detonating it. In an ideal combustion cycle there is a controlled burning of the compressed fuel and air, but during detonation there is an exploding of the mixture with a instantaneous release of all its energy, regardless of where the piston is in its stroke. The timing of the auto-ignition will have a direct effect on where the damage takes place. When this is altered and in effect over adjusted by a tune the result long or short term can be horrible.

Detonation very early in the compression stroke is usually the silent killer that goes unheard by the driver. This form of combustion usually results in rotating assembly failure by attacking the connecting rods and bearings. Detonation that comes nearer to TDC or slightly after is usually heard as pinging and will likely result in the burning of the piston or the lifting of the ring land from the piston

That to me is serious.
Pinging is not a near catastrophic failure, hell a bad tank of gas can cause pinging or detonation. My old ford taurus pinged/detonation from new for 9 years with numerous trips to the dealer to try and solve it and kept on going strong. Yes it sucks to have had as many problems with mpt like you have had, id be upset also, but I'm sure your engine is just fine. That's why bama/mpt/steeda ect have data logging, to solve problems like this. I really like bama and have zero issues to date, but a few have had terrible experiences with them, sometimes thats just how the cookie crumbles. These are email tunes and will sometimes require some data logging to get it right.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:07 PM   #34
rob.james.arias

Quote:
Pinging is not a near catastrophic failure, hell a bad tank of gas can cause pinging or detonation. My old ford taurus pinged/detonation for 9 years with numerous trips to the dealer to try and solve it and kept on going strong. Yes it sucks to have had as many problems with mpt like you have had, id be upset also, but I'm sure your engine is just fine. That's why bama/mpt/steeda ect have data logging.

Catastrophic? No. Serious imo yes combined with AFRs and such... Sucky? Absolutely 😉
Old 04-15-2015, 07:09 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Catastrophic? No. Serious imo yes combined with AFRs and such... Sucky? Absolutely 😉
I agree, you have every right to be pissed, this isn't their first rodeo, its time for them to step up for you!! Hearing stories like this keep me on the fence about trying another tuning company.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang