Brake shudder. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-10-2015, 07:57 PM   #1

Region: Alabama
Brake shudder.

Okay so around here our speed limit on the interstate is 80 and when I am at those speeds and go to slow down for a off ramp the brakes shudder real bad. I am not jamming on the brakes so the abs does not kick in and when I slow down from like 65 it is fine. Now I had Dieseven run a CarFax for me and I found out that it used to be a rental car and was thinking that maybe people ran the brakes hard and whatnot and was think of doing the brakes on it including resurfacing the rotors. Any other ideals on what this might be? Thanks Scott.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Otroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2015, 08:25 PM   #2
Kevin.Cook

You are on the right track. Maybe bleed the brakes and replace the brake fluid as well to give you a fresh start.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-10-2015, 08:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otroo View Post
Okay so around here our speed limit on the interstate is 80 and when I am at those speeds and go to slow down for a off ramp the brakes shudder real bad. I am not jamming on the brakes so the abs does not kick in and when I slow down from like 65 it is fine. Now I had Dieseven run a CarFax for me and I found out that it used to be a rental car and was thinking that maybe people ran the brakes hard and whatnot and was think of doing the brakes on it including resurfacing the rotors. Any other ideals on what this might be? Thanks Scott.

First off can you isolate which brake(s) are the culprit?
Do you feel it in the steering wheel?
I'm thinking possibly temporary warping when heating up with medium hard braking at high speeds.
If that was the case, resurfacing the rotor(s) would not be the solution. Replacing the rotor would be required.
I experience the same symptoms, I just described, but haven't been able to figure out which front wheel it is. (it happens on my charger.) But it happens very rarely with me since I don't do that very often.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2015, 08:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I see your car is a 2014. I realize brakes are not typically covered under warranty for wear and tear, but I would think a problem such as that would be covered.
Did you look at your brakes to make sure there is plenty of pad, and not worn thin?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:53 PM   #5

I can't isolate which one it is I tried to but it was impossible at the time.
I did check the pads and there seams to be plenty of meat left on them.
I have to run by Ford this week for some other stuff so I will check with them and see if it might be covered by warranty. I don't run on the interstate to often so I might just save up to do a brake upgrade.

Thanks guys

Old 03-10-2015, 09:19 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
First off can you isolate which brake(s) are the culprit?
Do you feel it in the steering wheel?
I'm thinking possibly temporary warping when heating up with medium hard braking at high speeds.
If that was the case, resurfacing the rotor(s) would not be the solution. Replacing the rotor would be required.
I experience the same symptoms, I just described, but haven't been able to figure out which front wheel it is. (it happens on my charger.) But it happens very rarely with me since I don't do that very often.

Sorry, but I just don't think this is a possible scenario. Theres really no way for a brake rotor to get hot enough to temporarily warp without boiling the brake fluid or causing some other serious problems.

If it was a rental, and a mustang at that, it was likely not treated well; its a rental, don't be gentle...
A full brake service may not be a bad idea, fresh or turned rotors, and some fresh pads with a good brake bleed will do wonders.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:54 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

If the wheels are balanced and rims not warped, I agree it sounds like a rotor/pad problem. New OEM takeoff rotors can be had on eBay for cheap (I got a pair for around $50 last year for the same problem) and the replacement is an easy Sunday afternoon job.

While you're at it, why not upgrade to some better pads too? I put some Hawk HPS pads on the front and they definitely bite better than the Ford OEM performance pack pads.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:00 PM   #8

I will try out those pads thanks for the suggestion.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:08 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Sorry, but I just don't think this is a possible scenario. Theres really no way for a brake rotor to get hot enough to temporarily warp without boiling the brake fluid or causing some other serious problems.
That's interesting that you don't thing the rotors could distort that fast. You may be right!
I have experienced warped rotors over the years and have a pretty good idea as to how they feel. Particularly if they're on the front.
So in my case of hard breaking at high speed, what I think I feel is the typical pulsation of a front rotor warp but immediately goes away when I slow down a bit.
I know the OP said shudder but I'm thinking he may have experienced pulsation. I'll have to look into my problem further.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:22 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I had the same issue as you have here. Dealer turned the rotors for me under warranty once. I had this issue solved and it came up again after few months and it was the same thing -rotors were warped. I got them changed and since then i have no issue at all. I have a 2012 mustang.
FordMustang12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:30 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
That's interesting that you don't thing the rotors could distort that fast. You may be right!
I have experienced warped rotors over the years and have a pretty good idea as to how they feel. Particularly if they're on the front.
So in my case of hard breaking at high speed, what I think I feel is the typical pulsation of a front rotor warp but immediately goes away when I slow down a bit.
I know the OP said shudder but I'm thinking he may have experienced pulsation. I'll have to look into my problem further.
Im just thinking about on the road course. Over several weekends I have managed to boil the fluid once or twice but have never managed to warp a rotor... I just don't think they can instantaneously get that hot, even during "spirited" street driving.

What you may be feeling is an issue that never truly goes away, but is just more noticeable at higher speeds due to more wheel revolutions, and typically a firmer foot on the brake at those speeds.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:10 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Im just thinking about on the road course. Over several weekends I have managed to boil the fluid once or twice but have never managed to warp a rotor... I just don't think they can instantaneously get that hot, even during "spirited" street driving.

What you may be feeling is an issue that never truly goes away, but is just more noticeable at higher speeds due to more wheel revolutions, and typically a firmer foot on the brake at those speeds.
You're probably right!
Fortunately it happens so infrequently, I may never figure it out, unless it got worse.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang