Driveshaft questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-11-2015, 07:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Driveshaft questions

Hey I'm just wondering for the people who have swapped driveshafts what kind of difference does it make? Is it noticeable and how much and does any one have dyno numbers for a before and after?

G.H.I.G 2014 V6 Mustang
MMD Ducktail spoiler
Roush axle back exhaust
Black upper and lower retro billet grille
MMD 551c matte black rims
Eno07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2015, 08:45 PM   #2
Kevin.Cook

No noticeable differences. For standard stangs, you will lose some of that ugly vibration in the shifter. And on auto and standard, you can go over 120 more safely. Thats about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-13-2015, 08:21 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eno07 View Post
Hey I'm just wondering for the people who have swapped driveshafts what kind of difference does it make? Is it noticeable and how much and does any one have dyno numbers for a before and after?

G.H.I.G 2014 V6 Mustang
MMD Ducktail spoiler
Roush axle back exhaust
Might free up a little power, since its a lighter driveshaft it allows it to rotate more. Also might gain a little more response when gassing it.
-SOLD-13.246s@107.81 RaceRed 2013 v6 Mustang, 3.73 gears, MPT 91Race Tune, Axle-Back Straight Pipe, Tower Brace, BMR LCA's, BBK Shorty Headers, BMR Relocation Brackets, Lethal Performance X-Pipe Catless.
-2008 Civic SI...
RaceRed3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2015, 09:34 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I believe how responsive your car is and safety are the biggest things affected, safety more than anything but many people do not buy it because of the 700 dollar price tag

Sent from my SCH-R970C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Christian_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:38 AM   #5
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_E View Post
I believe how responsive your car is and safety are the biggest things affected, safety more than anything but many people do not buy it because of the 700 dollar price tag

Sent from my SCH-R970C using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Extremely true. IMO, only buy it if you are going to be racing/dragging your car. Otherwise, the gains do not justify the price tag. As the money could be used better elsewhere. Like headers, tuner, or appearence mods.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:17 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I was thinking but I just won the driveshaft shop giveaway from American muscle and I got a carbon fiber driveshaft so I'm pretty pumped I got a 1300 dollar driveshaft for free especially since I was thinking about getting an aluminum one WAY down the road but the 700-800 dollar price tag was pushing me away.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1426259843.052179.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	177306

G.H.I.G 2014 V6 Mustang
MMD Ducktail spoiler
Roush axle back exhaust
Eno07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:36 AM   #7
Kevin.Cook

Oh dang! Congrats! Nothing better then free. By all means, slap that on your car.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:52 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Wow! In that case, go for it! Lucky! Congratulations by the way.

2013 Red Candy 3.7, MPT Tune, Afraid intake, BBK shortys, BBK mid-pipe w/cats, Borla Ataks, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears, LED Fog Lights, California Special Black Spoiler. Raxiom interior LED dome lights, Raxiom license plate LED lights, blacked out all side and back markers and tail lights.
Lambo345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:04 PM   #9
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
That's badass!!
Old 03-13-2015, 09:28 PM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I don't know about a GT or older six---BUT---

I really notice a difference on my 2012 3.7 Automatic with 2.73 rear.
First= No vibration at all.---NONE---
second= Not one klunk since I put it on.
Third= slightly better response
Forth= when I take my foot off the gas the car actually slows down easier.

I grant you that these are very slight differences ( Except for the no Klunk)
This is one of those things "I did not need" BUT It is one of those thing I wanted. I wish I would have got it a long time ago.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:32 PM   #11
Kevin.Cook

Very odd. When i change gears in my auto, i hear a clunk from the driveshaft. Started after installing the 1 piece. Had it checked twice and cant find anything. Very odd.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:56 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Very odd. When i change gears in my auto, i hear a clunk from the driveshaft. Started after installing the 1 piece. Had it checked twice and cant find anything. Very odd.

I've had that same clunk after I installed my driveshaft!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Harm_3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:20 PM   #13
Kevin.Cook

Wonder if this is normal...

Old 03-14-2015, 08:37 AM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I get absolutley "NO" Klunk at all-anytime-

When I had my stock driveshaft I had a klunk about 50% of the time after I pulled out of the garage and got to the curve on my street.
It would always klunk when I was slowing down for a red light and it turned green and I accelerated. "ALWAYS"
It would slightly klunk when I went to back up."Alway"
It had a slight vibration when I let off the gas to slow down ( Not always but most of the time)
I have the aluminum driveshaft from "AXLE EXCHANGE" and it was installed at Brothers speed shop. When Dave installed it he put locktite on all of the hardware and used a torque wrench when tightening it up.
My original driveshaft is now sitting in a box in my garage and is not only HEAVY but a rusty looking over sized item that Ford should really be ashamed to have put on my Mustang in the first place.
I'll be at the American Muscle show in August if anyone want to take a ride and see how a nice tight riding car I have.
They should have the drag strip open in the evening and I'll see if I can do another 13.3 1/4 mile.
I'm haveing a hard time waiting for August.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:18 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
I've had No problems, no Klunks or any issues after my Driveshaft was installed.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:48 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I have an aluminum driveshaft and no clunks, I did have clunks with the stock shaft.

I recall reading somewhere else that after market LCA's will get of the clunk if you have one that's introduced after installing the one piece driveshaft.

Already having 3:73 gears, I honestly didn't notice a difference in acceleration.. but I DID notice a nice smooth firmness to the driveline that wasn't there previously. That made it worth it to me... It's hard to describe.. just one of those things you have to experience...
k1DBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang