First mod - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-14-2015, 04:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
First mod

So I want to do a mod to my mustang, I am stuck between a custom cat back set up and a tune, the cat back would consist of 2.5 inch piping, m-80 mufflers and quad tips, I'd have to buy a diffuser so it would be a tad more expensive than a tuner, would a tuner make a big difference? Which one should I do first? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SCH-R970C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Christian_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2015, 04:29 PM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I would have to go for the exhaust first

Get that Mustang sounding good and then start saving for a tune.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 04:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Get that Mustang sounding good and then start saving for a tune.
Ronnie
Do you think there would be any power gain from a catback?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2015, 04:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
Exhaust Mod.

You would notice a difference with the Exhaust set up you want to do, but after the Tune you would notice a even bigger change. Ronnie948 is correct do the Sound first then do the Tune. Remember though, getting Full Exhaust means you're getting Headers and a Mid Pipe as well. That would mean even more of a change.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO View Post
You would notice a difference with the Exhaust set up you want to do, but after the Tune you would notice a even bigger change. Ronnie948 is correct do the Sound first then do the Tune. Remember though, getting Full Exhaust means you're getting Headers and a Mid Pipe as well. That would mean even more of a change.
Yea I know , mid pipe and headers are definitely things I want to get just not now, also, I know dynomax sells OA pipes but would the fact that they are aluminum instead of stainless steel cause issues?

Old 03-14-2015, 04:50 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Yu won't be gaining gobs of power---BUT--

When your Mustang sounds good, It always seems like it has more power.
Get the exhaust all fixed up just the way you want it. Then when you get a tuner they will add the better flow of your exhaust into the tune. Just be sure to tell whoever you get the tune from, which exhaust setup you have installed.
I'm an old guy and have always learned that if you start with the exact exhaust setup you want, Everything else falls better into place.
Ronnie
Old 03-14-2015, 04:58 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

When I first Started Mods on my Stang, I started with Exhaust and Mid Pipe and Wheels. Then LT Headers/Tune.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
When your Mustang sounds good, It always seems like it has more power.
Get the exhaust all fixed up just the way you want it. Then when you get a tuner they will add the better flow of your exhaust into the tune. Just be sure to tell whoever you get the tune from, which exhaust setup you have installed.
I'm an old guy and have always learned that if you start with the exact exhaust setup you want, Everything else falls better into place.
Ronnie
Years I see what you mean, Ideally I'd like to do the setup this week, might just go cat back with some nice 4 inch tips the later add the quads to save some money.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:13 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
When I first Started Mods on my Stang, I started with Exhaust and Mid Pipe and Wheels. Then LT Headers/Tune.
What midpipe did you run without a tune?

Old 03-14-2015, 05:46 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't write that correctly. When I first got the Exhaust, I had the Stock Header with a Magnaflow X pipe with Magnaflow Exhaust and Tune. I later got Long Tube Headers and had to change the X pipe to fit with the Long Tube Headers. Yeah, I had to Retune the Car also. Had to do that also for the Gear change that I did. I probably could have kept that X pipe if I had gotten Shorty Headers.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:59 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I didn't write that correctly. When I first got the Exhaust, I had the Stock Header with a Magnaflow X pipe with Magnaflow Exhaust and Tune. I later got Long Tube Headers and had to change the X pipe to fit with the Long Tube Headers. Yeah, I had to Retune the Car also. Had to do that also for the Gear change that I did. I probably could have kept that X pipe if I had gotten Shorty Headers.
Oh okay that makes sense, I wish I could run an O/R pipe without a tune!

Old 03-14-2015, 08:41 PM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Best thing to do on a small budget is:::

Figure out "EXACTLY" what you want to do to have a complete exhaust system just the way you want it.
If you want headers (Shorty or Long tubes) Save the $$$$ to get what you want.
There are about a million post on this and other forums on which mid-pipe to get.
Figure if you want Hi-Performance cats or none or use the stock one's.
Get the mufflers you really want with the tips you want.

Do NOT tear your car apart until you gather every single thing you need.

You can put all of this on your car and the car will be fine without a tune until you can gather more $$$$. The computer will compensate for the exhaust setup.

Shorty headers will bolt up to your stock cat's and mid pipe. Believe me when I'm telling you that there is nothing wrong with Shorty headers and the stock cat's and mid pipe. Unless you are going serious racing all the time which will cost you a fortune you don't seem to have.
This option will give you a great sounding system and better usable power on the street without spending a ton of $$$$$. Add the tune later and you will have a very good street car without all of the problems of the long tube headers scraping every speedbump in Walmarts parking lot.
A CAI plus a good set of shorty headers along with some free flowing mufflers and a tune will make you think your driving somebody else's Mustang.

After you do all this, you will want an aluminum drive shaft.
An oil can.(Separator)
Performance suspension.
All Poly Bushings
New Wheels.
I could go on and on.
When the Mod bug bites you it is like a Pit bull and don't let go.
Ronnie
Old 03-14-2015, 09:04 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

It's been bitting at me, I have the money but don't want to dump it all in my car! And I want shorties for sure! The sound they give is very pleasant!

Old 03-17-2015, 07:52 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

If all you want is sound just save for some exhaust. But if you want to gain power a tuner will be the main key for any goal and should be first on your performance mod list!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Mike3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:05 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3.7 View Post
If all you want is sound just save for some exhaust. But if you want to gain power a tuner will be the main key for any goal and should be first on your performance mod list!

Adding to mike's recommendation, If you want to feel your money's worth and not get bit too hard by the 'mod bug' I would say get a tuner first so that way you can add parts that the tuner can aid later down the line. After the tuner I would go for a CAI. I went with steeda's CAI and although I don't have a comparison between JLT or the other non-tune required intakes, since the sound comes from right in front of you, you can get a great sense that your money went into making the car a totally different beast. I think your buying options open up more if you start out with a tuner because you are not limited to saying to yourself for example, "Man i really want those long tubes but Im going to need a tuner to clear codes and get the most out of it..damn that's another $400, screw it just going long tubes and x pipe alone". lol my example in my mind. But the idea of getting a tuner first then intake just sets up your modding path...and that day when you get a new part installed, you wont have to 'wish' you had a tuner to get the most out of your brand new shiny 'X' mod or what have you. Just my 2 cents
kgallowaypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:25 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallowaypa View Post
Adding to mike's recommendation, If you want to feel your money's worth and not get bit too hard by the 'mod bug' I would say get a tuner first so that way you can add parts that the tuner can aid later down the line. After the tuner I would go for a CAI. I went with steeda's CAI and although I don't have a comparison between JLT or the other non-tune required intakes, since the sound comes from right in front of you, you can get a great sense that your money went into making the car a totally different beast. I think your buying options open up more if you start out with a tuner because you are not limited to saying to yourself for example, "Man i really want those long tubes but Im going to need a tuner to clear codes and get the most out of it..damn that's another $400, screw it just going long tubes and x pipe alone". lol my example in my mind. But the idea of getting a tuner first then intake just sets up your modding path...and that day when you get a new part installed, you wont have to 'wish' you had a tuner to get the most out of your brand new shiny 'X' mod or what have you. Just my 2 cents
Agree 100%

Old 03-23-2015, 04:50 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallowaypa View Post

Quote:
Agree 100%

Years I might just do so since it might be the cheaper option as well, I don't think I'll be buying a cold air intake, I feel that you really can't beat the stock air box if you get a tune

Old 03-23-2015, 04:54 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_E View Post
Years I might just do so since it might be the cheaper option as well, I don't think I'll be buying a cold air intake, I feel that you really can't beat the stock air box if you get a tune

Not a bad idea I just bought mine used from a guy for $180 so I'll pay that! I don't expect any performance gains other than maybe an extra mpg or so. I just like the look of them under the hood they're basically just a fashion mod .lol.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:59 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not a bad idea I just bought mine used from a guy for $180 so I'll pay that! I don't expect any performance gains other than maybe an extra mpg or so. I just like the look of them under the hood they're basically just a fashion mod .lol.

Year you got a pretty sweet deal on it, the steeda CAI is the most expensive one!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang