Plasti-Dipping Chrome Grille Trim - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-15-2015, 01:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Plasti-Dipping Chrome Grille Trim

Decided to plastidip my chrome grille trim! I messed up my first time and definitely laid it on way too thick and got some lumps, as you'll see..but i waited for it to dry, peeled it all off, and tried again. here's some pics!

prepping!

lots of newspaper

alana from pine belt is pretty hot. lol

first-2nd coat...definitely put too much on.. i ended up ripping this off

that's why i ripped it off...got too close and put too much on!
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2015, 01:14 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
You should be doing light coats with 10-15 min In between coats. If it's messed up just pull it off (leaving the tape) and start again. Remember light coats. Do about 5-6
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
You should be doing light coats with 10-15 min In between coats. If it's messed up just pull it off (leaving the tape) and start again. Remember light coats. Do about 5-6
thanks! i spoke with VIG and he informed me that i should let this 2nd coat dry for about a half hour then check out of it's still lumpy. if it is, he said there should be enough coating on it to be able to easily peel it off and start again, so i'll give that a shot.

but 10-15 between? i'm hearing people say 30 to let it completely dry. i only waited 10 min between my 1st and 2nd because i read that on here, and i think that was a mistake bc it was still wet.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2015, 01:22 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

You want it to still be a little tacky. Not dry. But it really won't matter as the plasti-dip bonds to itself very well. The key is light coats 5+ times.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
thanks! i spoke with VIG and he informed me that i should let this 2nd coat dry for about a half hour then check out of it's still lumpy. if it is, he said there should be enough coating on it to be able to easily peel it off and start again, so i'll give that a shot.

but 10-15 between? i'm hearing people say 30 to let it completely dry. i only waited 10 min between my 1st and 2nd because i read that on here, and i think that was a mistake bc it was still wet.
Go to the Plasti dip web page.
They say, "Wait at least 30 minutes between coats".
Doesn't it say on the can?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Go to the Plasti dip web page.
They say, "Wait at least 30 minutes between coats".
Doesn't it say on the can?
yeah, but some people were saying 30 min was overkill, but now i see they're wrong lol.

i've started peeling it off so i can do it again. it dind't come out AS lumpy as it looked before, but still didn't look good. some spots are still a bit wet right now, so i'm gonna let it dry some more then continue peeling off.

then i'll start over from the beginning and do quick light coats!
Old 03-15-2015, 02:57 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

If you are doing light coats it doesn't take 30 min to dry. It sounds like you might have laid it down thick. I'm not hating on you just saying. I've been there. It's easy to get excited and go heavy.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:01 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you are doing light coats it doesn't take 30 min to dry. It sounds like you might have laid it down thick. I'm not hating on you just saying. I've been there. It's easy to get excited and go heavy.
oh no hating at all, i def did go on too thick lol.

so i just pulled it all off, and cleaned up the trim with windex bc some spots were still a tiny bit wet and smudged. i sprayed my first coat, which was very light, but it was a tiny bit splotchy..like some spots are still pure chrome and some are black, it's weird...but i'm not overspraying this time. my second coat will help cure that. and the 3rd. and the 4th. and the 5th. lol so i think this time around it'll be a bit better.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Took me a few "practice times" as well when I first tried. I'm sure it'll turn out well soon enough.
rringler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 03:19 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
oh no hating at all, i def did go on too thick lol.

so i just pulled it all off, and cleaned up the trim with windex bc some spots were still a tiny bit wet and smudged. i sprayed my first coat, which was very light, but it was a tiny bit splotchy..like some spots are still pure chrome and some are black, it's weird...but i'm not overspraying this time. my second coat will help cure that. and the 3rd. and the 4th. and the 5th. lol so i think this time around it'll be a bit better.

Yeah that's what happens. It feels splotchy and like it isn't covering but before you know it things will start getting covered and the finish will look great.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rringler View Post
Took me a few "practice times" as well when I first tried. I'm sure it'll turn out well soon enough.
haha hopefully my practice one was just once!
Quote:
Yeah that's what happens. It feels splotchy and like it isn't covering but before you know it things will start getting covered and the finish will look great.
sweet! i'm excited. black looks so much better than chrome. i'm not going to do the pony yet though..not sure if i want to. what do you guys think? fully blacked out front would look cool, but i love the chrome accent of the pony!
Old 03-15-2015, 03:30 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

^its just personal preference I guess as far as the pony goes. I have a gt so mine is different so I haven't done any dip on my grill, I swapped mine out for the boss grill.

I think you try it like that and maybe you dip it one day for fun and see how you like it. Worst case you don't and you take it right off
Old 03-15-2015, 03:30 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

You could always try the pony blacked out and if you not a fan just peel it off.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:43 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

very true. maybe i'll run it like this for a bit and then do the pony some other time. currently waiting about 18 more minutes until i apply coat 3! coat 2 looked good, still some like circular spotting of chrome instead of black, so idk what's up with that, but hopefully by coat 3 and 4 it'll all be blacked out.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:42 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
don't worry about seeing the chrome. it'll all get covered up as you add more coats.

i'm liking the newspaper covering. looks very familiar
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 04:53 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
don't worry about seeing the chrome. it'll all get covered up as you add more coats.

i'm liking the newspaper covering. looks very familiar

Just think, you can at least do some reading while your waiting for the other coats to dry! Lol
Old 03-15-2015, 05:05 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rringler View Post
Just think, you can at least do some reading while your waiting for the other coats to dry! Lol
yeah, i was staring at the pine belt hottie model. hahah

wellp, coat 5 is on, and it's looking pretty good. i still feel like i have a decent amount of plastidip left in the bottle...should i do a 6th coat or what? i've been doing it at every 30 minutes and it seems to look good so far.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:35 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yeah, i was staring at the pine belt hottie model. hahah

wellp, coat 5 is on, and it's looking pretty good. i still feel like i have a decent amount of plastidip left in the bottle...should i do a 6th coat or what? i've been doing it at every 30 minutes and it seems to look good so far.

How's it looking? Not the hottie in the paper but the 5 coats? I think I did just 5 on mine and it turned out great. I'm sure one more coat wouldn't hurt though if you feel like you need it.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:57 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

The more the better when it comes time to take it off. I'd do that 6th coat
Old 03-15-2015, 06:26 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

well, i think it looks like **** to be honest. the tape peeled up some of the edges despite the fact i had a toothpick there to try to break the seal as it ripped it off, but that was a no-go. and the damn frog tape left sticky crap all over my bumper now.

whats the best way to remove like sticky stuff from this without hurting the paint?

anyway, here's some pics, and i'm really not satisfied. the look in general is nice with it being black, but i guess i'm just bad at this kind of crap. maybe i'll just go buy an aftermarket grille to get that blacked out look. f it.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:40 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Plasti-Dipping Chrome Grille Trim

Well that stinks that it didn't come out like you wanted it to. Buying a grille doesn't change the surround but you can probably get a GT surround. But the bumpers and grille are pretty easy to remove. I know your a bit defeated today but maybe next week you just pull the bumper off and take the grill out and either dip it or paint it that way? I've had my bumper off 4 times already...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1426462669.470735.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	177516

Yours would be even easier as you don't have to fuss with the fog lights. In the center.

Some people say you can just yank on the grille when it ms warm out and it will pop right off. It might. Some can be stubborn. If rather pull the bumper off and avoid breaking anything.

Either way I think it's an improvement man. Your out like what 5 bucks in dip and 4 bucks in tape and an afternoon. Hey you learned how to dip a little bit. I'd say you still win
Old 03-15-2015, 07:04 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well that stinks that it didn't come out like you wanted it to. Buying a grille doesn't change the surround but you can probably get a GT surround. But the bumpers and grille are pretty easy to remove. I know your a bit defeated today but maybe next week you just pull the bumper off and take the grill out and either dip it or paint it that way? I've had my bumper off 4 times already...

Attachment 177516

Yours would be even easier as you don't have to fuss with the fog lights. In the center.

Some people say you can just yank on the grille when it ms warm out and it will pop right off. It might. Some can be stubborn. If rather pull the bumper off and avoid breaking anything.

Either way I think it's an improvement man. Your out like what 5 bucks in dip and 4 bucks in tape and an afternoon. Hey you learned how to dip a little bit. I'd say you still win
i suppose, i just hope that sticky gunk from the masking tape comes off. whats something good that wont mess with the paint that can remove that stuff?

i'll probably peel it off next week. it looks good, yea, if it were done better. i like the roush grille, or the GT/CS grille, and they're not a bad price but having to drop down everything just to install a piece of plastic is kind of annoying. idk what i'm going to do. maybe just live with it and come to terms that i bought a v6 and not a GT haha
Old 03-15-2015, 07:19 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i suppose, i just hope that sticky gunk from the masking tape comes off. whats something good that wont mess with the paint that can remove that stuff?

i'll probably peel it off next week. it looks good, yea, if it were done better. i like the roush grille, or the GT/CS grille, and they're not a bad price but having to drop down everything just to install a piece of plastic is kind of annoying. idk what i'm going to do. maybe just live with it and come to terms that i bought a v6 and not a GT haha

Like Oxford said at least it was a good learning experience. I read somewhere to make sure to leave a little gap between the tape and the piece your painting. Then you can just peel the excess off with ease.

I know in the past I have used goo gone, not sure if it's still a good one to use or if they have better stuff out nowadays.

When I installed my new grille I think taking the bumper off was actually the easiest process of the whole thing. Plus I didn't want to just "yank" out my whole grille like they say you can just incase something bad happened.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:41 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I've had the grill on my V6 blacked out with plastidip for over a year now. It still looks the same as the day I sprayed it on.

If you try it again... The trick is to heat the can up first. I placed it in a pot of scalding hot water for a few minutes and the sprayed on much cleaner than trying it cold.

Lastly, to get smooth lines you have to remove the tape boarders almost as fast as you spray the stuff on. As long as you lay it on thick there isn't much reason to put on a ton of coats. I stuck with 2 coats and it looks the same after 10k miles and countless washes.
Edd2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:45 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

how do you take the tape off when you do a few coats? it's already dried on by that time.

either way, i'm probably just going to leave it chrome. i don't necessarily like the look of chrome, as black would look much better, but i don't have that "finesse" for painting at all; i've always been horrible at any type of painting. i always **** something up.

and i'm thinking twice about buying a new grille for it...all i really want was the blacked out trim, and the only way to get that is to buy like a GT/CS grille for 200 something, or buy a GT grille somewhere, but then i'd need to buy the blacked out trim. CJ pony parts sells grilles, but then they make you buy the blacked trim separately, and it's $200 alone just for the damn trim!

too much money to waste on this. maybe i'll keep the chrome trim and just spray my pony.
anyone with a black mustang have a pic of a plast dipped pony but retaining the chrome trim? maybe that'll look cool and that's 50x easier to not **** up.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:07 PM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

Really you just need the different surround. I sold one I had laying around for 40 bucks. Too bad I dont still have it.

Next time use painters tape. The blue stuff. Doesn't leave residue. You can use goo gone to get the marks off, but it will take the dip off too. So make sure you don't get it on that. Then you might want to clean and wax your paint after using the goo gone.

As far as the taping goes, did you tape right up to the grill where the peeling happened? Really you only have to tape to avoid the plasti dip from over spraying everywhere. That is hard to clean up. I would just do a rough tape around the area your doing. Leaving the areas around it un masked. Then you peel the tape, and peel the area between the tape and the part you are dipping. The natural breaks in the parts will allow the separation. I will see if I can find a pic for you.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:09 PM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

Like this...

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1426468134.527236.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	177533

Not me or my car. But you see how he has left the paint exposed? The dip will peel right off of this and leave the other separated parts.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:24 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

yeah i see what you mean. I had the tape inside the crease so it wouldn't get anywhere near the paint. guess that was bad.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:34 PM   #29
Road Trip!
Regular

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1426469618.086977.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	177543
I plstic dipped both my grilles and even the stripped on the logo

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
efrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:40 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

hmm what color was your grille?

Old 03-15-2015, 08:42 PM   #31
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
hmm what color was your grille?

Like a stainless steel color or chrome whatever you call it lol

Old 03-15-2015, 08:50 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

ahh yeah i see. cool, looks badass.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:59 PM   #33
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
ahh yeah i see. cool, looks badass.

Doesnt take a pro to apply dip man just keep calm and do it with time

Old 03-16-2015, 05:47 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

haha im bad at painting. always have been. hence why my first coat was too thick and lumpy lol i don't have good control when i paint stuff. always comes out ****ty. I might do chrome trim and black pony and see what that looks like next.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:14 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Would you recommend plasti dipping rims on/off the car?
5.0FordMustang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang