LED reverse lights worth it? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-16-2015, 01:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
LED reverse lights worth it?

So are LED reverse lights a good upgrade for 2012 tail lights? They seem like kind of a pain to install for someone not mechanically inclined (and scared to break something on my car).

I bought two LED bulbs, not thinking I actually need four, so I'm thinking of picking up two more and doing the install today.

My dome lights, trunk light, and license plate lights have been upgraded to LED already using the Raxiom lights from American Muscle.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
aleXXXps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2015, 02:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Absolutely worth it. I did it when I had my GT on my 2011 and they are so nice. If you can screw a screw in then you can do it. You literally just take the push pins off your black plastic in the back of the trunk and then there are I think 4 bolts on each taillight that you unscrew with a wrench and then pull out the bulbs and plug in the LEDS. You will need 2 LEDS for each taillight though so I think you mentioned you had 2 extras? That would only be enough for 1 taillight. I made that mistake and had to order 2 more and do the right one like a week later. Besides that it is very very easy and makes a huge difference. I have no idea why Ford puts yellow bulbs in a 2012 but LEDS are a must for me. Not only for safety because you can see more when reversing and other cars will see yours much better but also for looks. They look like night and day.

2013 Premium Performance White

GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted white quarter windows

Last Mod: CDC Performance Grille

Next mod: Bama Race Tune!

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Chaz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Now I see what you are going to get 2 more so you are good. If you really want to see how easy it is just pop your trunk and take off the black plastic piece by taking the tabs off and you can see the bolts you will be taking off before hand. Just to see what you are working with.

GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted white quarter windows

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2015, 05:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I went ahead and bought 2 more less and installed them today after work. They were easy. The biggest hassle was texting them without anyone around. I had to prop my phone up and record video then watch it lol.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1426545866.922202.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	177623

Old 03-16-2015, 06:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
wait, on the 10-12, are the rear lights LED or regular? i can never tell when i see one.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:18 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
wait, on the 10-12, are the rear lights LED or regular? i can never tell when i see one.

Regular bulbs

Old 03-16-2015, 06:45 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleXXXps View Post
Regular bulbs

ahh i thought they were. when i saw the turn signal though, the bulbs didn't seem to have that like cool-off thing...don't know how to explain it..like how when you light up an old school brake light, it like warms up to full brightness, and fades off. LED"s are just on then off. i never noticed that fading on the 2010-2012. weird.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Old 03-16-2015, 07:11 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

The red sequential lights are LEDS. The reverse lights are bulbs. Why Ford did this, who knows.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:29 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

really? wtf. haha that's weird.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:40 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, this was changed for the 2013 though.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:53 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I have the sequential lights on mine. My neighbor has a 2011 and he doesn't have them. I always thought the previous owner of the car installed the sequential wire into them.

The LED reverse lights look so sweet. I'm happy I did it! I was so excited to see them at night.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:57 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

All US 2011s have them. I think in like Canada or something they aren't allowed to have sequential so they just blink but besides that they should be sequential.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:57 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have the sequential lights on mine. My neighbor has a 2011 and he doesn't have them. I always thought the previous owner of the car installed the sequential wire into them.

The LED reverse lights look so sweet. I'm happy I did it! I was so excited to see them at night.

2010+ should have sequential lights!

Sent from my SCH-R970C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Christian_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:33 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz12 View Post
All US 2011s have them. I think in like Canada or something they aren't allowed to have sequential so they just blink but besides that they should be sequential.

I have them, and seen pre 13s have them as well up here.

2013 Candy Apple Red 3.7, Roush Axel Backs, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers,Barton shifter bracket, Bama tuned, SR lowering Springs, J&M adjustable pan hard bar, 3.73 Ford Racing gears, GT 500 spoiler, Upper and lower modern billit grill, 2010 GT Premium 19" wheels, GT 500 stripes, Painted mirror covers, MMD Billitt fuel door. 2014 Premium cluster, Chrome mustang shifter knob,
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:44 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Somewhere they aren't allowed to have them sequential, I just forgot where lol but yeah all 2010+ have them. Now I'm wondering where it was that doesn't have them

Old 03-17-2015, 12:46 PM   #16
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
So are LED reverse lights a good upgrade for 2012 tail lights? They seem like kind of a pain to install for someone not mechanically inclined (and scared to break something on my car).

I bought two LED bulbs, not thinking I actually need four, so I'm thinking of picking up two more and doing the install today.

My dome lights, trunk light, and license plate lights have been upgraded to LED already using the Raxiom lights from American Muscle.

Hey Alex,

I ran the Raxiom Reverse Light LED Conversion Kit in my previous 2012 5.0 and absolutely loved it!

The light they produced, along with the killer look was the selling point for me, I was not disappointed.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

-Will
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang