California special spoiler 2014 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-16-2015, 09:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
California special spoiler 2014

So I started the process of taking the old duck tail spoiler off my car to replace it with the Cali special one i ordered. This wasn't a easy task, seeing as the super adhesive tape holding it down wasn't the easiest to come off (taking the screws out was the easy part) but then came the issue. It's almost as it there is a scratch in the paint on my trunk outlining the spoiler I took off. Any suggestions on how to fix this or what could have caused it?

Sent from my iPhone using, my iPhone
MikeMcDema05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2015, 10:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Do you have pictures of the damage? It could have been the spoiler rubbing against the body of the car.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:41 PM   #3
rob.james.arias

That scratch like outline is caused by micro vibrations from the road transferring to the decklid or down force from wind. Either way the spoiler moved and and the decklid did not or vise versa. This minor friction combined with dust, dirt and other random debris causes a small but abrasive contact between the two. When completed over the course of weeks or months you get the lines you describe.

Depending on the severity you may get away with trying a scratch and swirl remover to see if that can mask the damaged area well enough. The second option is starting with 1500 grit and wet sanding up to 3000 or 4000 grit. Then finishing with a polishing compound. This is the most assured way of getting a glass like finish out of the surface area again.

If the scratches are through the clear coat you may have to sand and re clear the trunk lid. Its not great news either way but it can be fixed. If you have not completed these types of projects before and are adventurous try youtube for some how too's. That said, be prepared if you make a mistake you will need to get help from a professional.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2015, 10:36 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
My neighbor does detailing and he helped me buffer it out. Turns out it was just a thick line of dirt more than a scratch, I honestly couldn't tell. But anyways it came right out, thanks for the advice! As far as the California spec spoiler I put on after, it looks really good. Even though the install was painful haha

Sent from my iPhone using, my iPhone
MikeMcDema05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
california